• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The TPU UK Clubhouse

Space Lynx

Astronaut
No, too short on time unfortunately.

Let me sleep on your couch, as long as you charge less than an Air BnB its extra bank for you. I just need a place to sleep so I can see London for a couple weeks. My relatives are letting me stay rent free for a month, and then I am doing Air BnB for a month in Exeter to be with my fiance. That would give me 10 weeks total in UK :D

mmm Sainsburys... fuck I miss Sainsburys so much. bbq chicken legs for 3 quid... prob 3.50 now but I am ok with that. also, I know the best chips in the world, and you can only buy them at Sainsburys... you will fucking love them if you haven't tried them before!

Last edited:
System Name Nebulon-B Mk. 4
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 7800 XT
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.
What?!? The i7-7700 does not HAVE any pins! What brand of stupidity was that?
As I found out later, they tried to test it in an incompatible Z170 motherboard (Kaby Lake only works with 200-series chipsets), and tried to blame it on me with this BS reason.

Let me sleep on your couch, as long as you charge less than an Air BnB its extra bank for you. I just need a place to sleep so I can see London for a couple weeks. My relatives are letting me stay rent free for a month, and then I am doing Air BnB for a month in Exeter to be with my fiance. That would give me 10 weeks total in UK :D

mmm Sainsburys... fuck I miss Sainsburys so much. bbq chicken legs for 3 quid... prob 3.50 now but I am ok with that. also, I know the best chips in the world, and you can only buy them at Sainsburys... you will fucking love them if you haven't tried them before!
Just make sure you call them crisps while you're here or people will think you're talking about chunky fries. :D Which brand are they?

Space Lynx

Astronaut
As I found out later, they tried to test it in an incompatible Z170 motherboard (Kaby Lake only works with 200-series chipsets), and tried to blame it on me with this BS reason.

Just make sure you call them crisps while you're here. :D Which brand are they?

no I meant french fries, I was in England for 6 months last year, I am using that right terminology :D

cook them in the oven, no oils. and then get "Hellmans Really Good Mayo and some good ketchup" and take turns dipping in both. pay extra for this mayo, its fucking amazing.

1673508317902.png

1673508244566.png

Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.
no I meant french fries, I was in England for 6 months last year, I am using that right terminology :D

cook them in the oven, no oils. and then get "Hellmans Really Good Mayo and some good ketchup" and take turns dipping in both. pay extra for this mayo, its fucking amazing.

View attachment 278711

View attachment 278710
Ah, those chips! :D

I couldn't agree more, by the way. Sometimes going cheap is an option, but not with mayo and ketchup. :)

System Name Bad Moon Ryzen
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Asrock B450M Pro4-F
Cooling Vetroo V5
Memory Crucial Ballistix 32Gb (8gb x 4) 3200 MHz DDR 4
Video Card(s) 6700 XT
Storage Samsung 860 Evo 1Tb, Samsung 860 Evo 500Gb,WD Black 8Tb, WD Blue 2Tb
Display(s) Gigabyte G24F-2 (180Hz Freesync) & 4K Samsung TV
Case Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact w/Dark Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply MSI MPG A850GF (850w)
VR HMD Rift S
@Space Lynx thank you for that idea, unfortunately we rent and that would be very much against the rules. Last thing I need is no roof over my head

No worries, it's only for a couple of months. It's not like I will be without a computer. I'm just used to decent framerates. A Vega 56 will be fine at 4k on a lot of my older games.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
@Space Lynx thank you for that idea, unfortunately we rent and that would be very much against the rules. Last thing I need is no roof over my head

No worries, it's only for a couple of months. It's not like I will be without a computer. I'm just used to decent framerates. A Vega 56 will be fine at 4k on a lot of my older games.

You are not allowed to have a friend visit for two weeks? That seems like some next level dictatorship mate, lol

Regardless, I hope things get better for you soon... my fiance is freaking out over all the cost rises in UK. I keep telling her to calm down, we will get it sorted together, teamwork.

Low quality post by LifeOnMars
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Cooling Vetroo V5
Video Card(s) 6700 XT
Audio Device(s) Onboard
VR HMD Rift S
Correct, we are not. Pricing is ridiculous and it's getting worse. Hate to talk politics or theory but it's all going to plan, shall we say, for those who are really in charge.

By 2024 we will once again face lockdowns but 'climate change' will be the driving force.

Low quality post by AusWolf
Software Windows 10 Pro
By 2024 we will once again face lockdowns but 'climate change' will be the driving force.
As long as I can get paid for sitting at home doing nothing (during covid, I couldn't), I'm all in. :D

System Name Ultraman
Processor Intel core i9 13900HK
Motherboard Alienware/Dell inverted motherboard
Cooling Alienware/Dell cooling solution + IETS GT500 cooling pad
Memory Alienware/Dell 32GB 6000mhz DDR5
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX4080 12GB
Storage 1TB Dell supplied NVME + Samsung Evo 1TB NVME
Display(s) AOC Gaming CU34G3S/BK
Case Alienware X16
Audio Device(s) onboard/Speakers: Logitech G560
Power Supply Alienware/Dell battery + 330W charger
Mouse Microsoft Pro Intellimouse - White
Keyboard Ducky One2 SF White MX cherry Red
Software Windows 11
Budgeting is king, minimise your use of gas and how frequent you need to shower/bath throughout the week.
I practically use electricity everyday since I WFH so I can't really comment how to minimise the use of electricity, other than turning off any devices from the mains that you are not using.
Re-adjust your thermostat and even the boiler temp speed for your radiators if you have a combi to somewhere that is manageable.
The way I keep on top of things with all my bills is planning ahead and keep money allocated to those first before I go spending any excess I may have for "luxury".
Over budget the bills if you need too, but you will at least have money there for them, if you want to be semi-precise then you should manually send your gas&electricity meter reading before your bill date. Even if it gets transferred "automatically" by the active network sim installed if you have a newer meter box like mine.
Use Google sheets and build yourself a budget sheet to help manage your expenses, thats how i've been doing it for the past few years with regarding to saving and now doing it for bills since buying a house back in late 2021 and then moving last year.

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Budgeting is king, minimise your use of gas and how frequent you need to shower/bath throughout the week.
I practically use electricity everyday since I WFH so I can't really comment how to minimise the use of electricity, other than turning off any devices from the mains that you are not using.
Re-adjust your thermostat and even the boiler temp speed for your radiators if you have a combi to somewhere that is manageable.
The way I keep on top of things with all my bills is planning ahead and keep money allocated to those first before I go spending any excess I may have for "luxury".
Over budget the bills if you need too, but you will at least have money there for them, if you want to be semi-precise then you should manually send your gas&electricity meter reading before your bill date. Even if it gets transferred "automatically" by the active network sim installed if you have a newer meter box like mine.
Use Google sheets and build yourself a budget sheet to help manage your expenses, thats how i've been doing it for the past few years with regarding to saving and now doing it for bills since buying a house back in late 2021 and then moving last year.

She WFH too. Thing is she can afford it, its more of a mental thing, physically seeing the prices rise, and realize that you can't go to Saturday market and just buy something for fun now, etc. It's change, its scary, but its manageable with a few small sacrifices. She will be ok though. I personally have no problem with money, because there is nothing I want to buy. I honestly don't know how people run out of money so easily, outside of my PC, there is literally nothing I want. Only been to a pub like twice in my life, and decided it was a waste of money, most people like to spend 40% of their hard earned money there though for some reason.

Another example, my fiance spent 40 quid on dinner once and said it was normal... :roll:

not for me its not, I can eat just fine at Sainsburys, 6 quid for a meal on average and tastes great. :rockout:

System Name Ultraman
Case Alienware X16
Software Windows 11
It is scary yeah but everyone is worried but at the same time, all we can do is just get on with it and hope things will improve in time.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Norway has 5 billion barrels of oil in reserve. Canada has 270 billion barrels. Canada needs to step up their fucking game. Could solve a lot of problems right now, transitioning to green energy takes time, need to access that oil until the transition is complete. Dumb as fuck they are sitting on a gold mine and don't use it.

Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Cooling Vetroo V5
Video Card(s) 6700 XT
Audio Device(s) Onboard
VR HMD Rift S
Long story short, still have my 3080 12Gb and CEX will never have my custom ever again. Ridiculous. On a plus note, family member has now loaned us the cash needed temporarily and I still have my card so turned out well in the end. :toast:

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Sounds like this clubhouse could do with some cheering up

Software Windows 10 Pro
Long story short, still have my 3080 12Gb and CEX will never have my custom ever again. Ridiculous. On a plus note, family member has now loaned us the cash needed temporarily and I still have my card so turned out well in the end. :toast:
What happened? Did your 3080 have "bent pins" too? :eek:

Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Cooling Vetroo V5
Video Card(s) 6700 XT
Audio Device(s) Onboard
VR HMD Rift S
What happened? Did your 3080 have "bent pins" too? :eek:
No, according to the 15 yr old, 5'3 spotty oik behind the counter with the padlock chain around his neck (because repressed teenager and no-one understands the struggle man) My card is 'burnt out' and is not working, or if it is working will "go within 6 months mate" :kookoo::roll:

I've been pondering this whilst playing Cyberpunk tonight at 4K with some ray tracing/ minimal noise from the card and not breaking 62c. My 7 month old, never had a crash, no driver issues, no overheating issues, flawless gaming card is ready for the scrapheap I'm afraid.

Oh and it seems CEX employees can no longer simply state that they don't have the available funds and are taking the route of lying. Not to mention the fact that they couldn't even locate the vega card I was gonna swap it with plus cash....shit happens lol.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
No, according to the 15 yr old, 5'3 spotty oik behind the counter with the padlock chain around his neck (because repressed teenager and no-one understands the struggle man) My card is 'burnt out' and is not working, or if it is working will "go within 6 months mate" :kookoo::roll:

I've been pondering this whilst playing Cyberpunk tonight at 4K with some ray tracing/ minimal noise from the card and not breaking 62c. My 7 month old, never had a crash, no driver issues, no overheating issues, flawless gaming card is ready for the scrapheap I'm afraid.

Oh and it seems CEX employees can no longer simply state that they don't have the available funds and are taking the route of lying. Not to mention the fact that they couldn't even locate the vega card I was gonna swap it with plus cash....shit happens lol.

good thing you were able to get help elsewhere anyway and keep that card, CEX sounds like a scam.

Software Windows 10 Pro

That happened to me when I wanted some DDR3 RAM for an old system a couple months ago. I checked online, it was in stock in abundance, I walked in and they said "sorry mate, we haven't had any DDR3 in months".

good thing you were able to get help elsewhere anyway and keep that card, CEX sounds like a scam.
CeX is great for browsing for games and films. It's not so good for more complex stuff, though.

I also can't wrap my head around the thought that here in the UK, every second hand store just gives you the stuff with no accessories. For example, when you buy a phone, it's just the unit itself. No cable, no charger, nothing. In Hungary (where I'm originally from), you have no hope of selling anything without its box, accessories and all paperwork attached.

Pathetic little oik would have been my choice of words.

Keullo-e

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X up to 5.05GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop (CPU+GPU, 240 & 120 rads)
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury @ DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6700 XT Fighter OC/UV
Storage ~4TB SSD + 6TB HDD
Display(s) Acer XV273K 4K120 + Lenovo L32p-30 4K60
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow White
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K
I hope that this isn't "owning culture" as I have UK flag on my wall and I'm drinking tea. Nah, fuck, I rather like British habits :)

System Name Ultraman
Case Alienware X16
Software Windows 11
Have you seen the CEX "PC" setup? Its practically a old HP/Dell PC with an open side panel, I highly doubt any of the staff members were trained or have instructions with testing PC hardware or even have the correct hardware to run them.
Glad things worked out in the end though.

Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Cooling Vetroo V5
Video Card(s) 6700 XT
Audio Device(s) Onboard
VR HMD Rift S
Have you seen the CEX "PC" setup? Its practically a old HP/Dell PC with an open side panel, I highly doubt any of the staff members were trained or have instructions with testing PC hardware or even have the correct hardware to run them.
Glad things worked out in the end though.

Yeh, some of the test setups they use in-store are highly questionable. To be fair, I have used various CEX shops in the past and have never had any issues. Northampton in particular has never been a problem and when they have no funds available, they tell you. This was the first time I have tried the Milton Keynes store and it was just an awful experience from start to finish. They still have the Vega 56 listed btw, even though they could not locate it at all. Clowns :)

Software Windows 10 Pro
Yeh, some of the test setups they use in-store are highly questionable. To be fair, I have used various CEX shops in the past and have never had any issues. Northampton in particular has never been a problem and when they have no funds available, they tell you. This was the first time I have tried the Milton Keynes store and it was just an awful experience from start to finish. They still have the Vega 56 listed btw, even though they could not locate it at all. Clowns :)
If you're after a particular item that they have online, then it's best to order, even if it's theoretically "available" at your local store, imo. The problem with PC parts though, is that you don't always know what exactly you're gonna get. For example, if you order the Vega 56 online, you won't know which model it is until it arrives.

System Name Ultraman
Case Alienware X16
Software Windows 11
In most cases, the PC hardware they have out on display in stores are probably from their main warehouse. Where they may have proper hardware to test them before selling them.
Out of all the CeX i've been in to potentially buy stuff, i've had the most luck finding rare stuff in the MK branch compared to the Northampton branch(including Weston favell) and even Rugby branch.

Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Cooling Vetroo V5
Video Card(s) 6700 XT
Audio Device(s) Onboard
VR HMD Rift S
If you're after a particular item that they have online, then it's best to order, even if it's theoretically "available" at your local store, imo. The problem with PC parts though, is that you don't always know what exactly you're gonna get. For example, if you order the Vega 56 online, you won't know which model it is until it arrives.
I mean, I get what you're saying, but it's not 'theoretical' The website has full functionality to filter and show exactly what each store has 'in-store' If they get their inventory wrong then that's on them.....and if a customer turns up and they can't find the item at least update your inventory to prevent another poor soul turning up and being disappointed.