• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The Ultimate Realtek HD Audio Driver Mod for Windows 10

tayyar86

Dolby was requesting an older version

Having the same problem here, except no blue screen or another error.

However, I think my legit Dolby spatial audio is broken now. Gotta do some tests.

Dolby was requesting an older version

Having the same problem here, except no blue screen or another error.

However, I think my legit Dolby spatial audio is broken now. Gotta do some tests.
Just be careful. Something went in deep into the system. Still blue screens and trying to get back to normality.

@Alan Finote I have just tried to install this driver. Nahimic installed fine but Dolby was requesting an older version. The PC then crashed into a blue screen but luckily Windows managed to restore to the state I was in yesterday morning. I have basically found only one driver that worked for my system but I still have the problem that as soon as I install it, Windows deletes it, probably because it has an expired digital signature. If I had to send you the file, would you be able to rebuild the signature? That would hopefully solve my issue. Thanks!
@Alan Finote You liked my post, so it means you can help with signing the file? :)

ya the Sound Blaster and Nahimic modules no longer function in the last 2 newest versions of the drivers. Did windows update bork the driver sets? Not even an earlier set of drivers can install the Sound Blaster components and make them work

tashi

i installed the driver but my 3.5 jack is not sending audio, any fix?

IAHawk

System Name Anidees Tower
Processor Intel Core i9-9900K
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate
Cooling NZXT Kraken X62
Memory 48GB G. Skill TridentZ RGB Series DDR4 3200MHz
Video Card(s) Zotac 1080 Ti
Storage Samsung 2TB SSD
Display(s) Acer X34 Predator
Case Anidees Tower
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-X4100W
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i
Mouse Logitec G502
Keyboard Logitec K800
I have tried to read through this post to try and figure out how my PC audio should or can be configured and how to actually install/set-up my PC audio and I am more confused than when I started.
So probably a long post to what I would like to do, what components and software/drivers I have and what I have read before reading this thread.

I do not watch movies on my PC. Looking for quality sound for music via iTunes/ JRiver Media Center, Spotify. I also do some gaming mostly single player. One of the main things I am looking for is surround sound for gaming. I do not know what format I need (Dolby, DTS, etc...) Would like to hear who's creeping up on me in the background.

Just built a new system and did not install a sound card like I have in the past. Here is my build.
MB - ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate
GPU - Zotac 1080 Ti
SSD
HDD
GSkillz Memory
Windows 10 64Bit.

Now according to ASRock website the audio for the MB is supposed to be 7.1 CH HD Audio (Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec). I am not sure if this is pre-installed or that I had to install it myself, I think I had to install the audio but I do not think it is ALC1220. How do you tell? When you go the the download section for the motherboard the link is for this, Realtek high definition audio driver ver:8496_UAD_WHQL.

Since I did not go with a sound card my audio is connected by two methods.
1st. HDMI cable from GPU to my Denon AVR- X4100W
2nd. Optical Cable from Motherboard to my Denon.
My speaker configuration is FL, FR, Center, SL, SR and a Powered Sub.

I do not know which is the optimal configuration, but I do not seem to get surround doing certain things. I can get sound from all speakers but not in the correct format. Example playing Ghost ReCon Wildlands and there is some dialog but it is not coming out form the correct speaker(s) or in some case at all. I can't hear flyovers from aircraft like fron to back or vice versa, lets just say it is not like my main system when watching movies. I realize this could be the games audio programing.

So I am looking for a lot of help as to how to configure/install the correct audio driver and software. I am defiantly a newbie when it come to installing drivers, codecs and pairing the correct software so if anyone who is willing to help me please make it detained and simple.

I can post picts of my system if needed just let me know, no use posting picts if I do not know if they will be helpful.

Thank you

System Name Dell Inspiron 7375
Processor AMD Ryzen™ 7 2700U Mobile Processor with Radeon™ RX Vega 10 Graphics
Memory 16GB (total) 2400MHz DDR4 SODIMM
Video Card(s) Radeon™ RX Vega 10 Graphics
Storage SanDisk X600 SATA SSD 512GB
Display(s) BOE NV13FHM
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC3253 (Dell Labelling) ALC255 (Real name)
I have tried to read through this post to try and figure out how my PC audio should or can be configured and how to actually install/set-up my PC audio and I am more confused than when I started.
So probably a long post to what I would like to do, what components and software/drivers I have and what I have read before reading this thread.

I do not watch movies on my PC. Looking for quality sound for music via iTunes/ JRiver Media Center, Spotify. I also do some gaming mostly single player. One of the main things I am looking for is surround sound for gaming. I do not know what format I need (Dolby, DTS, etc...) Would like to hear who's creeping up on me in the background.

Just built a new system and did not install a sound card like I have in the past. Here is my build.
MB - ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate
GPU - Zotac 1080 Ti
SSD
HDD
GSkillz Memory
Windows 10 64Bit.

Now according to ASRock website the audio for the MB is supposed to be 7.1 CH HD Audio (Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec). I am not sure if this is pre-installed or that I had to install it myself, I think I had to install the audio but I do not think it is ALC1220. How do you tell? When you go the the download section for the motherboard the link is for this, Realtek high definition audio driver ver:8496_UAD_WHQL.

Since I did not go with a sound card my audio is connected by two methods.
1st. HDMI cable from GPU to my Denon AVR- X4100W
2nd. Optical Cable from Motherboard to my Denon.
My speaker configuration is FL, FR, Center, SL, SR and a Powered Sub.

I do not know which is the optimal configuration, but I do not seem to get surround doing certain things. I can get sound from all speakers but not in the correct format. Example playing Ghost ReCon Wildlands and there is some dialog but it is not coming out form the correct speaker(s) or in some case at all. I can't hear flyovers from aircraft like fron to back or vice versa, lets just say it is not like my main system when watching movies. I realize this could be the games audio programing.

So I am looking for a lot of help as to how to configure/install the correct audio driver and software. I am defiantly a newbie when it come to installing drivers, codecs and pairing the correct software so if anyone who is willing to help me please make it detained and simple.

I can post picts of my system if needed just let me know, no use posting picts if I do not know if they will be helpful.

Thank you

I would recommend you not bother with modded drivers for the realtek device. Indeed, I would recommend you not using it at all.
HDMI can do native surround audio and is better than optical.
Your system is well set up for HDMI. Use configure speakers to set the HDMI output as 5.1. Play everything via it and don't bother with any audio enhancements.
Just set JRiver media center to output via WASAPI Exclusive.
Note: Your system may still have a ALC1220 chip; the number in driver name is driver version.

IAHawk

System Name Anidees Tower
Processor Intel Core i9-9900K
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate
Cooling NZXT Kraken X62
Memory 48GB G. Skill TridentZ RGB Series DDR4 3200MHz
Video Card(s) Zotac 1080 Ti
Storage Samsung 2TB SSD
Display(s) Acer X34 Predator
Case Anidees Tower
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-X4100W
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i
Mouse Logitec G502
Keyboard Logitec K800
I would recommend you not bother with modded drivers for the realtek device. Indeed, I would recommend you not using it at all.
HDMI can do native surround audio and is better than optical.
Your system is well set up for HDMI. Use configure speakers to set the HDMI output as 5.1. Play everything via it and don't bother with any audio enhancements.
Just set JRiver media center to output via WASAPI Exclusive.
Note: Your system may still have a ALC1220 chip; the number in driver name is driver version.

Ok. Well that was simple.

Thank you!

The sound on the movies is encoded surround (Dolby Digital or DTS) in studio. That's why you get surround via digital.

Computer games create the audio sounds in real time, as 6 PCM streams. So if you want to send them digital to a receiver, you will have to encode those sounds in real time with no delay, and send via optical or HDMI to the receiver. There they will be decoded and send to speakers. Too much latency in this process.
I'd you don't have that encoding, called Dolby Digital Live or DTS Connect , all you get from PC through digital is stereo.
For games, the best connection is via 5.1 analog cables, to the 5.1 analog input of the receiver.

Display(s) BOE NV13FHM
The sound on the movies is encoded surround (Dolby Digital or DTS) in studio. That's why you get surround via digital.

Computer games create the audio sounds in real time, so if you go digital you will have to encode those sounds in real time with no delay, and send via optical or HDMI to the receiver. There they will be decoded and send to speakers. Too much latency in this process.
I'd you don't have that encoding, called Dolby Digital Live or DTS Connect , all you get from PC through digital is stereo.
For games, the best connection is via 5.1 analog cables, to the 5.1 analog input of the receiver.
Additional info: HDMI to receiver also provide no latency.

@Khonjel Do you uninstall the stock driver then install modded driver?
I noticed that if stock driver is uninstalled then modded driver installed, there can be driver revert.
If modded driver is installed directly without removing stock driver, the modded driver is not reverted.
This is my personal observations, and it may not be the same everywhere.

@CityCultivator l finally cracked it! It was Windows Update. Set it to manual and so far Windows did not delete the drivers. Fingers crossed :)

@CityCultivator Now for the last challenge. I need to install Dolby Home Theater 4 without losing the sound effects I have in the Realtek Control Panel. The last time I tried I was getting an error that the Dolby version was wrong, and could not start Dolby Home Theater. Can this be done? Thanks!

Last edited:
HDMI is even worse. The HDCP encryption needs to be decoded before the DD or DTS are even allowed to be unpacked and decoded.
However for gaming this is moot, games create 6 PCM streams and there is no way of sending those uncompressed via a digital connection.
There are talks about sending 8 channels LPCM via HDMI, but video card manufacturers need to go on board.
Protected Audio Path is against this. So, unless we get HDMI sound cards... No uncompressed surround gaming via HDMI.

Display(s) BOE NV13FHM
HDMI is even worse. The HDCP encryption needs to be decoded before the DD or DTS are even allowed to be unpacked and decoded.
However for gaming this is moot, games create 6 PCM streams and there is no way of sending those uncompressed via a digital connection.
There are talks about sending 8 channels LPCM via HDMI, but video card manufacturers need to go on board.
Protected Audio Path is against this. So, unless we get HDMI sound cards... No uncompressed surround gaming via HDMI.
To my knowledge, 8 channel LPCM is fully supported since HDMI 1.0, isn't that right?
Also, not every content needs to have HDCP on; only DRM content, right?
What happens when a high-end receiver is connected to a PC? Can someone with appropriate hardware give their observations?

What video card supports it? Uncompressed surround (digital) from games via HDMI or DP.

Display(s) BOE NV13FHM
What video card supports it? Uncompressed surround (digital) from games via HDMI or DP.
I would assume that after connecting graphics card to proper receiver and using configure speakers wizard, the PC would be set to use the proper full native channels.
All modern graphics cards implements a full HD Audio compatible audio unit on the GPU itself. Older cards relied on using SPDIF from system audio chip and then mixing them to the final HDMI out.

Assumption is the mother of errors.
When I feel like hauling the PC in the living room, I'll connect the AMD RX 580 to my Denon surround receiver. Somehow I doubt that will work, because right now I see eight separate stereo connections (7 inactive, because I have only on monitor connected via DP) in the AMD sound settings.

Display(s) BOE NV13FHM
Assumption is the mother of errors.
When I feel like hauling the PC in the living room, I'll connect the AMD RX 580 to my Denon surround receiver. Somehow I doubt that will work, because right now I see eight separate stereo connections (7 inactive, because I have only on monitor connected via DP) in the AMD sound settings.
1. You tried to use configure speakers?
2. If you tried that, what options do you see in advanced tab of endpoint control panel? Are there only stereo options?

Display(s) BOE NV13FHM
Any way to reduce the audio latency with these drivers? I'm getting around 200-500ms audio delay even with all APOs turned off.
APO off usually means that audio is passing through them but is not being processed. As most APOs need a latency to operate, they have to keep a latency even off to prevent audio breaks when turning on the APO.
Few APOs allow to completely disable them when off. PCEE4 with option keep library loaded deselected can have no latency when off.
If you want to disable all APOs, go to enhancements tab and select disable all sound effects. That unloads all APOs.

Display(s) BOE NV13FHM
How to boost volume on non moded stock drivers?
Thanks
Without enhancements, audio cannot get louder than the original content is.
Volume boosting can only be done via APOs.
If you don't want to bother in reinstalling drivers, try APO Driver. It can be applied over non-modded driver.
For loudness, I recommend DTS Surround Sensation. Everything will get loud (DTS Boost). You can set boost to minimum, wihich will be loud, or increase it furthur, and it will be ludicrously loud.

Do these tools work with soundcards too?

I'm hoping to unlock atmos for my soundcard amp out.

@alanfox2000 Hi Alan, I have found tour collection of media enhancers and install guides on Mediafire (alanfox2000software). Since I do not have Mediafire Pro, it is a bit difficult to download files one by one. Do you have this repository posted somewhere else that is easier to download? Thanks!

Display(s) BOE NV13FHM
Do these tools work with soundcards too?

I'm hoping to unlock atmos for my soundcard amp out.
Realtek mods are not meant for sound cards.
Though if you have a realtek chip on the motherboard and install this driver mod, Atmos is unlocked for the whole system. You can then use Dolby Atmos for Headphone, the one requiring Dolby Access, to play real Atmos content via your sound card.
I would recommend you try APO Driver, which is a more universal method, and can be used perfectly with any soundcard, usb audio devices and HDMI audio, etc. APO Driver does also contain Dolby Atmos.

This Driver is to Asus, or another Motherborads?. In my Gigabyte Motherboard this driver have problems, and a couple of times it has given me an error in such a way that it loads the windows operating system, having to restore the system with the AOMEI with a backup created. Do you know if this is a cause derived from the VIA that your driver owns?, que pensa vc meu querido amiguxo?.

Obg pela sua atençao, atè @Alan Finote !. :)