• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The unsatisfying state of air cooling solutions on the market (Case/GPU/NT) - idea as pic

System Name Computer of Theseus
Processor Intel i9-12900KS: 50x Pcore multi @ 1.18Vcore (target 1.275V -100mv offset)
Motherboard EVGA Z690 Classified
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 2xThermalRight TY-143, 4xNoctua NF-A12x25,3xNF-A12x15, 2xAquacomputer Splitty9Active
Memory G-Skill Trident Z5 (32GB) DDR5-6000 C36 F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RK
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce 3060 XC Black Gaming 12GB
Storage 1x Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe (OS), 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB (data 1 and 2), ASUS BW-16D1HT
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF 32" 2560x1440 165Hz Primary, Dell P2017H 19.5" 1600x900 Secondary, Ergotron LX arms.
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Audiotechnica ATR2100X-USB, El Gato Wave XLR Mic Preamp, ATH M50X Headphones, Behringer 302USB Mixer
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1000W 80+ Platinum White
Mouse Zowie EC3-C
Keyboard Vortex Multix 87 Winter TKL (Gateron G Pro Yellow)
Software Win 10 LTSC 21H2

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
100%, while it does rise it does so slowly and I can stick intake fans in a PC case roof and shove the hot air right out the vented bottom of a case if I want.

That may have more to do with more cache and cores under load and worse thermal transfer from the CPU to the cooler.

Three years using the same CPU to test with on dedicated BIOS profiles. It isn't that.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Oh, I see, only your opinion and perspective matter.
:roll:
Yeah right. You come in to express your opinion in direct opposition to my comments and that's okay. But when anyone opposes yours, its not so then you launch another of your personal attacks. :( Okay. :rolleyes:

BTW, I was expressing facts, not opinion - other than the "hogwash" parts.

Quiet fans let you overheat. Small coolers will too.
Not sure what you mean by "let you" overheat. A quality "quiet" fan can provide "adequate" cooling too.
Go big or go home.
I agree. With case cooling, get the largest fans you can. Bigger fans move massive amounts of air and can do so while spinning at slower RPMs - thus quieter operation.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Software Windows 11
@Bill_Bright What fact have you expressed other than coolers and cases work?

I have done the testing, you are guessing on your limited experience with select products you have used.

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
Talking about convection alongside active cooling is silly - hot air rises so slowly and with so little force even a low rpm 80mm fan can counteract it for a rather large volume of air. As such airflow direction barely matters at all.

As for separating the airflow for various components, this is very difficult in DIY PCs due to component clearances and compatibility - any baffles or compartments would inevitably interfere with something. On the other hand OEMs use this on virtually all their desktops, from SFF to full tower dual CPU multi GPU workstations. Plastic shields/baffles and well placed fans ensures separate airflow for each component and no recycling of air. This does force either large cases and motherboards or bespoke/non-standard solutions though, and would be tricky unless you made a new motherboard standard designed for it from the beginning alongside updated case designs with lots of included baffles of various shapes and sizes.

Though, to be fair, a lot can be done in a modern front-to-back airflow case with good fans and a 3D printer.

Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
Three years using the same CPU to test with on dedicated BIOS profiles. It isn't that.
Which coolers. I'm not trying to argue just trying to see the specifics of your statement. I don't pay too much attention to AiO coolers so that whole industry may be circling the tank when it comes to cooling.

For air cooling I see a lot of quality coolers released recently that provide very good cooling, just to name a few that get good reviews from many web sites

Scythe Fuma 2
Noctua U12A
Corsair A500 (loud but cools well)
Artic Freezer 34 esport

For cases, I agree the industry went AiO mad and created a bunch of hot boxes with closed panels but recently there have been some good air flow cases released as well or are about to be released, just to name a few;

Fractal Design Meshify C and Meshify S2
Corsair 220T
Cooler Master 500 & 500M
Phanteks P300A, P400A, P500A (soon to be released) and P600s

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Software Windows 11
Which coolers. I'm not trying to argue just trying to see the specifics of your statement. I don't pay too much attention to AiO coolers so that whole industry may be circling the tank when it comes to cooling.

For air cooling I see a lot of quality coolers released recently that provide very good cooling, just to name a few that get good reviews from many web sites

Scythe Fuma 2
Noctua U12A
Corsair A500 (loud but cools well)
Artic Freezer 34 esport

For cases, I agree the industry went AiO mad and created a bunch of hot boxes with closed panels but recently there have been some good air flow cases released as well or are about to be released, just to name a few;

Fractal Design Meshify C and Meshify S2
Corsair 220T
Cooler Master 500 & 500M
Phanteks P300A, P400A, P500A (soon to be released) and P600s

Cannot argue with your assertions, but they are the exception to the "rule" not the average by any means. Although in my mind, three of the coolers are "decent", and one is more of a stock replacement idea like the old Hyper 2112 was. From my perspective. In the art of being "satisfied", the Scythe is close, the Noctua, sure, but the Freezer is cheap feeling with poor mounting hardware, and the A500, due to the metal cap on the cooler, is over 100 grams more than the beefiest Noctua cooler, and only just competes, it does not surpass it, leaving me unsatisfied.

Also, none of the coolers listed there did very well, IE beating out much older designs. I mean hell, it does depend on whose reviews you read, but there is no reason a three year old AIO should be at the top of my charts, beating pre-assembled loops, and anything made today.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Limited? LOL So now you know all about me and how much experience I have supporting electronics systems? :rolleyes: Do you think techs certified to maintain air traffic control radio communications systems (as seen via the link in my sig) know nothing about cooling electronics? Do you think a tech who puts "Heat is the bane of all electronics!" in his signature does so just for fun?

What fact have you expressed other than coolers and cases work?
Thank you! That is the whole point! They "work" as long as you select a decent case suitable for the job, and you set up the case cooling properly to achieve a nice flow of cool air through the case, Do that and the "facts" are, that they "work"! And by "work", that means they will keep the innards sufficiently cooled to ensure stable operation and normal life expectancy without throttling.

I say again, you do NOT have to achieve the coolest temps possible to achieve "satisfactory" cooling.

I have done the testing, you are guessing
And I have decades of real world experience. I am not guessing at all.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Software Windows 11
Limited? LOL So now you know all about me and how much experience I have supporting electronics systems? :rolleyes: Do you think techs certified to maintain air traffic control radio communications systems (as seen via the link in my sig) know nothing about cooling electronics? Do you think a tech who puts "Heat is the bane of all electronics!" in his signature does so just for fun?

Thank you! That is the whole point! They "work" as long as you select a decent case suitable for the job, and you set up the case cooling properly to achieve a nice flow of cool air through the case, Do that and the "facts" are, that they "work"! And by "work", that means they will keep the innards sufficiently cooled to ensure stable operation and normal life expectancy without throttling.

I say again, you do NOT have to achieve the coolest temps possible to achieve "satisfactory" cooling.

And I have decades of real world experience. I am not guessing at all.

Look, we can bang junk on a desk all day long.

And as I said, and what you seemed to miss from the onset, is that in my opinion, when something "works" it does not imply satisfaction.

Case and point, the Mugen 5 at ~$50 that will hit lets say 55C. Now I go and buy a new Kraken AIO or something like the new Eisbaer, and I get higher temps while spending more, almost triple the investment, I am in no way satisfied with its performance. Perspective is everything!

A motor home works to get me to the store, but with all the choices out there, not many are doing this are they. ;)

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
And as I said, and what you seemed to miss from the onset, is that in my opinion, when something "works" it does not imply satisfaction.
LOL From the onset, you disputed the "facts". It is only now you exert this is just your "opinion". But fair enough. You are entitled to your opinion.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Software Windows 11
LOL From the onset, you disputed the "facts". It is only now you exert this is just your "opinion". But fair enough. You are entitled to your opinion.

WOW, really? Maybe you need to go reread my posts instead of just battling them.

From my first post in this thread.... "Just because a cooler "works" does not mean satisfaction is part of it. "

Only time I mentioned facts was in response to where you stated "your" opinion as fact, showing nothing but your opinion. Your idea of satisfactory does not prove the OP was completely wrong in his assessment of his situation.

Case and point, the Mugen 5 at ~$50 that will hit lets say 55C.
Perspective is everything!
I missed your perspective before, you are promoting Mugen 5?
It gains much prominence with faster fans, but I doubt this noise testing chart is just a fluke - that heatsink is a giant impedance trap.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Software Windows 11
I missed your perspective before, you are promoting Mugen 5?
It gains much prominence with faster fans, but I doubt this noise testing chart is just a fluke - that heatsink is a giant impedance trap.

I am not championing any cooler in particular, it was there just to express my view on the satisfaction part of the conversation.
As to your chart link, the Mugen 5 rev.B I tested only got to 30dB with the fan at 1100RPM. Not sure why that chart shows nearly double the noise value, and at double the distance I use from the cooler.

I am not championing any cooler in particular, it was there just to express my view on the satisfaction part of the conversation.
As to your chart link, the Mugen 5 rev.B I tested only got to 30dB with the fan at 1100RPM. Not sure why that chart shows nearly double the noise value, and at double the distance I use from the cooler.
You know that review is the quietest that Arctic cooler has ever been depicted, right? I could certainly entertain a few pointers as to why...

freeagent

Staff member
Processor AMD R9 5900X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Thermalright Aqua Elite 360 V3 1x TL-B12, 2x TL-C12 Pro, 2x TL K12
Memory 2x8 G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3200C14, 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Black and White 3200 C14
Video Card(s) Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC
Storage WD SN850 1TB, SN850X 2TB, Asus Hyper M.2, 2x SN770 1TB
Display(s) LG 50UP7100
Case Fractal Torrent Compact RGB
Audio Device(s) JBL 2.1 Deep Bass
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 750w G+, Monster HDP1800
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G213
VR HMD Oculus 3
Software Yes
Benchmark Scores Yes
:roll:
Yeah right. You come in to express your opinion in direct opposition to my comments and that's okay. But when anyone opposes yours, its not so then you launch another of your personal attacks. :( Okay. :rolleyes:

BTW, I was expressing facts, not opinion - other than the "hogwash" parts.

Not sure what you mean by "let you" overheat. A quality "quiet" fan can provide "adequate" cooling too.
I agree. With case cooling, get the largest fans you can. Bigger fans move massive amounts of air and can do so while spinning at slower RPMs - thus quieter operation.

it depends on what is adequate for you. I wouldn’t be content with almost all of the consumer fans most members use. I don’t care about silence at all. I like the noise, let’s me know my pc is still working lol. It’s winter now, nice and cool. Soon it will be summer, and people will be complaining their pc is too hot, and then someone will recommend a nice quiet fan. I use industrials on a controller, and even though I am air cooled, I don’t have to dial back my oc in the summer.

Edit:

I quoted the wrong post

it depends on what is adequate for you. I wouldn’t be content with almost all of the consumer fans most members use. I don’t care about silence at all. I like the noise, let’s me know my pc is still working lol. It’s winter now, nice and cool. Soon it will be summer, and people will be complaining their pc is too hot, and then someone will recommend a nice quiet fan. I use industrials on a controller, and even though I am air cooled, I don’t have to dial back my oc in the summer.

Edit:

I quoted the wrong post
Turbulence is the one factor that correlates one to one with cooling performance.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Software Windows 11
You know that review is the quietest that Arctic cooler has ever been depicted, right? I could certainly entertain a few pointers as to why...

I am not going to guess as to what he is doing. But I will say I confused the stock cooler yellow with the Mugen yellow-green. He isn't that far off from my reality.

I tested the Freezer 33, hammered it for its lackluster performance, they sent the 34, and it was half a degree better. In my samples, both of which were "louder" by dB than the Mugen I had was.

What many do not factor in either, is that while the towers and fans are built by machines, just about every fan in a cooler series will have various speeds. This is why specifications say plus or minus 300 RPM on most fans. That 600 RPM can make a huge difference if that 1500RPM fan is spinning at 1200 versus 1800, which are both in spec. This causes a lot of variance in charts more than anything, and is why I am sure to denote the fans speed with my acoustic results.

freeagent

Staff member
Processor AMD R9 5900X
Memory 2x8 G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3200C14, 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Black and White 3200 C14
Display(s) LG 50UP7100
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G213
VR HMD Oculus 3
Software Yes
Benchmark Scores Yes
Turbulence is the one factor that correlates one to one with cooling performance.
I like turbulence, lets me know I’m moving enough air :laugh:

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
I am not going to guess as to what he is doing. But I will say I confused the stock cooler yellow with the Mugen yellow-green. He isn't that far off from my reality.

I tested the Freezer 33, hammered it for its lackluster performance, they sent the 34, and it was half a degree better. In my samples, both of which were "louder" by dB than the Mugen I had was.

What many do not factor in either, is that while the towers and fans are built by machines, just about every fan in a cooler series will have various speeds. This is why specifications say plus or minus 300 RPM on most fans. That 600 RPM can make a huge difference if that 1500RPM fan is spinning at 1200 versus 1800, which are both in spec. This causes a lot of variance in charts more than anything, and is why I am sure to denote the fans speed with my acoustic results.
Don't they normally say +/- 10%?

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Software Windows 11
I guess that would depend on the manufacturer. Extreme case, but on a 2000RPM fan, it is still the difference of 400 RPM across the line of cooler produced.

Example taken from Newegg on a random fan selected.... However, plus or minus 10% is pretty common too.

Dealing with only 1200RPM to start with, that fan could run for some at 950, and others at 1450, creating a total different cooler for two users.

Last edited:
System Name Computer of Theseus
Processor Intel i9-12900KS: 50x Pcore multi @ 1.18Vcore (target 1.275V -100mv offset)
Motherboard EVGA Z690 Classified
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 2xThermalRight TY-143, 4xNoctua NF-A12x25,3xNF-A12x15, 2xAquacomputer Splitty9Active
Memory G-Skill Trident Z5 (32GB) DDR5-6000 C36 F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RK
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce 3060 XC Black Gaming 12GB
Storage 1x Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe (OS), 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB (data 1 and 2), ASUS BW-16D1HT
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF 32" 2560x1440 165Hz Primary, Dell P2017H 19.5" 1600x900 Secondary, Ergotron LX arms.
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Audiotechnica ATR2100X-USB, El Gato Wave XLR Mic Preamp, ATH M50X Headphones, Behringer 302USB Mixer
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1000W 80+ Platinum White
Mouse Zowie EC3-C
Keyboard Vortex Multix 87 Winter TKL (Gateron G Pro Yellow)
Software Win 10 LTSC 21H2

Edit:

I quoted the wrong post
I am running Yate Loon D14BH12 2800RPM 140CM 140 CFM dual ball bearing fans that come out of power supplies, but what is nice is they are PWM and incredibly smooth. They can also run down to 1000 RPM where they aren't very loud. I think I've had them as low as 750ish where they are near silent. The bearing seems really tough, I have two running impeller facing up for several years now. I like them better than the TY143 but the TY form factor is better for my heatsink. The sound profile is quite nice too. They are so smooth they are always the last fans to stop spinning.

Last edited:
System Name Gamer
Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard AsRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/AX
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) ASRock Radeon RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming D
Case Phanteks Eclipse P200A D-RGB
Power Supply 800w CM
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
(as seen via the link in my sig)

I've been doing things all wrong this whole time. Apparently I can consider TPU Forum contribution "recent activity" to support my awards lol. Gonna put this on my next resume.

freeagent

Staff member
Processor AMD R9 5900X
Display(s) LG 50UP7100
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G213
VR HMD Oculus 3
Software Yes
Benchmark Scores Yes
I am running Yate Loon D14BH12 2800RPM 140CM 140 CFM dual ball bearing fans that come out of power supplies, but what is nice is they are PWM and incredibly smooth. They can also run down to 1000 RPM where they aren't very loud. I think I've had them as low as 750ish where they are near silent. The bearing seems really tough, I have two running impeller facing up for several years now. I like them better than the TY143 but the TY form factor is better for my heatsink. The sound profile is quite nice too. They are so smooth they are always the last fans to stop spinning.

I hear you man! My Panaflos have been in service with me since 2005 or so. Lots of life left in them. I normally run them at 7v, it’s fairly quiet. At 12v I still hear my TY143 over them. They spent their first decade with me at a solid 12v. They are a bit loud at that point, no effs given though.

Big fans are a tough sell these days, as most people prefer aesthetics over performance.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
it depends on what is adequate for you.
No it doesn't! Some seem to think it is their opinion that determines the technical specifications for proper cooling. That's hogwash nonsense - if not total arrogance! The manufacturer determines that based on design, and the physical characteristics and properties of the materials used in construction. Neither you nor me get to decide what those specification are - and I haven't in this thread either.

What is adequate for you and me is a totally separate thing that may, or may not apply to others. If a Intel 8700K is pushing 70°C when taxed, and Intel has specified a maximum Tjunction temp of 100°C, then it is a technical fact that that CPU is getting adequate cooling - even though you (and me) may prefer to see it never sit above 60°C for more than a couple seconds.

Just because a person's "opinion" may deem 70°C inadequate, that does not make it a technical fact.

Nor does sitting at 70°C automatically imply the CPU cooler does not "work" or is inadequate. If the case is not supplying a sufficient supply of cool air flowing through the case, then it is either a mismatched case for the components inside, or case cooling is improperly set up - either scenarios indicate a failure on the part of the user, not the CPU cooler.

Even the most efficient air cooler found in sneekypeets tests is ineffective at properly cooling the CPU when flow of cool air through the case is inadequate.

Now if your personal opinion dictates that your CPU temp must never breach the 30°C threshold (as an arbitrary example), then that's fine. You are entitled to your opinion and I personally have no problem with that. And if you are shooting for lowest possible, that is fine too. But understand that is for bragging rights. Do not pretend that personal opinion applies across the board for everyone. For if that were even remotely true, there would be 100s of million of stock Dell, HP, Acer, Lenova and Apple unstable and/or throttled computers out there over heating and dying prematurely. And that is just not happening.

Neither are there millions and millions of AMD or Intel processors that come today with OEM coolers being recalled because their coolers don't work or are inadequate. That's not happening either.

Would I accept my 9700K sitting above 70°C for more than a few seconds? NO! But that's just my personal preference. In fact, when my temps start sitting above 60°C for longer than a few seconds, I start to investigate my cooling. Typically, it means I need to clean my filters. And typically, my temps sit well below 40°. But there are no expectations my CPU will run better, be more stable or last longer running at 40° than it would at 50°.

Big fans are a tough sell these days, as most people prefer aesthetics over performance.
Huh? Aesthetics over performance? And "most people"? Ummm, no. What does fan size have to do with aesthetics? Are you saying an 80mm fan looks nicer than a 140mm fan? Or that a fan that looks nice can't perform too?

In the old days, cases typically came with 80mm fans (or often just one 80mm fan). Then 120mm became the norm. Today, most are 140mm. Some are even bigger. And I don't see where aesthetics come into play - especially since most people don't gawk in wide-eyed wonder at the interior of their cases. And, or course, larger fans are often preferred simply because they tend to be quieter since they can move the same (or more) amount of air while spinning slower - thus quieter.

If you are into sound deadening, I think this makes for a good reference benchmark to test out how far you can throttle the fans.