• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Thermal Grease Pad Recommendations

System Name AM5
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard Asrock X670E Taichi
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600 64 Gb - XMP1 Profile
Video Card(s) AMD Reference 7900 XTX 24 Gb
Storage Samsung Gen 4 980 1 TB / Samsung 8TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung 34" 240hz 4K
Case Fractal Define R7
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME PX-1300, 1300W 80+ Platinum, Full Modular
The thermal grease market is very well known, and I have my own preferences. However, I have never purchased the preassembled thermal grease pads.

Can anyone recommend good thermal grease pads?

Processor 3900X 4.425
Motherboard X570 Tomahawk
Cooling Galahad 360 push-pull
Memory 2x16gb Crucial Ballistix MAX 4400
Video Card(s) Asus Dual 3060 Ti OC
Storage Optane 280gb PCI-E
Display(s) PG348Q
Case Core X71
Audio Device(s) ATOLL DAC 100SE, Sony DN1070 - Dali Ikon 1 MK2, Presonus Studio 192, Line 6 POD HD rack, Audix VX10
Power Supply AX1500i
Mouse Pulsar Xlite wireless white
Keyboard Leopold FC980C 30g white
Software Win 10 Pro
Arctic seems to have some good ones as far as pads go.

dafunklull

food for thought. just from my years of experience and being not afraid of having to mcguyver things, i can say that what iv experienced in the last year I used to use (arctic silver as a default) for ages, its good stuff as a default cant go wrong its just messy. but I found my self in a pinch a while back arctic silver tube was DRY.i looked around and and i gotta say so far i like what iv found.

for the last 12 months on my old amd phenom 2 1045t system as thermal compound i have been using and have absolutely amazing results with. Good ole Dielectric terminal grease. the stuff thats clear comes with various automotive wiring kits. is dielectric clear and retains its Vaseline consistency. the environment is north american so my ambient temperatures are never a problem and the cpu rarely ever peaks above 50c even under 100% cinibench abuse. all under a now ancient but Tried and True design "Antec Ac64 Freezer pro tower heatsink. 90mm fan. in a equally old antec two hundered gamer with the tie fighter grill. all air cooled. i have yet to see "dielectric terminal grease dry up or liquefy under the modest temperatures 12 months We are not over clocking the cpu above its 2.7-3.2ghz 3 core turbo boost. iv seen arctic silver dry up and solidify the heat sink to the cpu more times then iv seen this dielectric..as iv never seen it solidify yet. we are breaching 12 months now as this is my daily driver system still.

"clear dielectric terminal grease gets a Don't worry about it rating from me. it'll be fine. just don't go trying to burn it off with reckless overclocking"

as a side note in the Absolute worse case scenario i noticed that "Plasticine" was once tested for its thermal conductive property's. while not good for the long run it will play nicely as a temporary solution being reapplied monthly, as to ensure all of its oils do not leach out as dry out. a monthly check up and replacement is easy and not messy as each time it was still malleable and just balled up and applied a fresh ball "avoid colored Plasticine and black black seems to be more oily then "white" and grey seemed to best. colored ones you may get some stain on the cpu hs.

"i Would NOT use this Dielectric terminal grease or Plasticine on a gpu. as gpus hit way higher tempratures and i feel yeah it may liquify the grease. but a cpu with its heat spreader a-ok. .. i have also used it to re lubricate fan's as well to extend their life and not computer related anything like heaters/bathroom exhaust fans with what the industry calls a "C-Frame motor" apply this grease to the fans bearing liberally and extend its life time 10 fold.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Don't use grease, use thermal paste, or thermal compound, maybe even a thermal pad, but never grease. ;)

System Name DadsBadAss
Processor I7 13700k w/ HEATKILLER IV PRO Copper Nickel
Motherboard MSI Z790 Tomahawk Wifi DDR4
Cooling BarrowCH Boxfish 200mm-HWLabs SR2 420/GTX&GTS 360-BP Dual D5 MOD TOP- 2x Koolance PMP 450S
Memory 4x8gb HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 4000
Video Card(s) Asrock 6800xt PG D w/ Byski A-AR6900XT-X
Storage WD SN850x 1TB NVME M.2/Adata XPG SX8200 PRO 1TB NVMe M.2
Display(s) Acer XG270HU
Case ThermalTake X71 w/5 Noctua NF-A14 2000 IP67 PWM/3 Noctua NF-F12 2000 IP67 PWM/3 CorsairML120 Pro RGB
Audio Device(s) Klipsch Promedia 2.1
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 w/CableMod PRO ModMesh RT-Series Black/Blue
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Aluminun Mechanical Clicky Thing With Blue LEDs, hows that for a name?!
Software Win11pro
I swear someone just asked about using die electric grease as thermal paste. Maybe at hardforum, anyhow i believe it was revealed that die electric grease generally has a w/mk rating of .5-2.5, so yeah not something i would put on my cpu or gpu under any circumstances. It maybe a fun experiment on a back up rig but definitely not a great idea to suggest others use it.
Sorry for the off topic.
My experience with thermal pads is limited but googling thermal pads brings up loads of reviews by respected folks using them against high end thermal pastes. I would start there and refine the specific manufacturers here.

dafunklull

still using the terminal grease. and its still working lol and it still making 100% contact between spreader and heatsink... perhaps the dilectric terminal grease i have is something special and or different then whats found in a tube "i get this stuff from automotive wiring kits" it comes in a lil squeeze packet with nothing but the words "Terminal Grease" to my understanding its a silicon grease. it does not liquify at cpu temps. and i'll keep running this experiment until the end. multi-purpose lithium complex greases have a high dropping point in excess of 260°C aint no cpu reaching 260C to cause the grease to liquifi...