• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Thermalright HR-22 Plus Black Heatsink Pictured

System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
So because one OEM made some bad design decisions, you conclude that AIO's are bad. Kappa.

So one single 12cm fan spinning at insane speeds under load is quieter than 2x14cm spinning at moderate to low speeds?

Again, you have a sample of one, which you had bad luck with. Noisy, clogging, etc.

I'll put my sample of one on the other side of the balance: Corsair H115, which is whisper quiet (I can't even hear the pump at all), cools well, had no issue whatsoever in almost 3 years of 24/7 operation.
Also provides airflow to the case, as it's front mounted, reducing the need for yet more fans.

I will add my sample of 1 to yours, as I use the 115i also, and have not had any problems with it whatsoever in over 1.5 yrs of near constant use, and I bought it used, so it's been in service longer than that.

It did not come with fans, so I chose to equip it with 2x Corsair 140SP's as intakes and 2x 140AF's on the other side....all of which normally run at around 800-1000-ish rpms and are inaudible to me in my mostly soundproofed home office...

But my case is so big that even moderate airflow is enough for all but the most extreme setups, and I have my CPU, Ram, & GPU all overclocked...

But no, massive air coolers are a thing of the past. If one needs more than normal TDP, they should go with water.
Ironically, massive air coolers are more likely to fit into small cases.

Also, watercooling today isn't really done in the optimal way and - as a result - large heatsinks aren't that far behind.
And when a really thought-through case comes around (like Corsair One) people are shocked that the cooling solution is so effective. :)

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
1.1Kg is a lot of mass hanging off the socket, and it's huge so there's gonna be quite some leverage on that mass too.

Maybe this is better for HTPC-style horizontal cases.

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
So because one OEM made some bad design decisions, you conclude that AIO's are bad. Kappa.

So one single 12cm fan spinning at insane speeds under load is quieter than 2x14cm spinning at moderate to low speeds?

Again, you have a sample of one, which you had bad luck with. Noisy, clogging, etc.

I'll put my sample of one on the other side of the balance: Corsair H115, which is whisper quiet (I can't even hear the pump at all), cools well, had no issue whatsoever in almost 3 years of 24/7 operation.
Also provides airflow to the case, as it's front mounted, reducing the need for yet more fans.
Nah, the failure rate of that particular line of AIOs is near 100% - Google it. Sure, it's an outlier among modern AIOs, but corrosion and clogging is still a problem - mixing metals is frighteningly common simply due to the price of copper radiators and the difficulty of making a good aluminium cold plate. I'd rather take the 7-10-year life span of a Noctua fan and a single point of failure than a non-serviceable object with the most failure-prone components sealed off, and a mixed-metal design that's a guarantee that it will corrode and clog in time - the question is when, not if. Of course, I have a custom loop, which has... I can't even count how many potential points of failure - but it's also entirely serviceable. No black boxes, nothing sealed off.

As for the NH-U14s, it has a single 140mm fan spinning at up to 1500rpm - I wouldn't call that "insane speeds". And it's far, far quieter than any AIO with an in-block pump, no matter the fan size. In the Corsair 400Q that it lives in, it gives off a gentle whooshing sound at max speed. I'm perfectly fine with that.

System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
1.1Kg is a lot of mass hanging off the socket, and it's huge so there's gonna be quite some leverage on that mass too.

Maybe this is better for HTPC-style horizontal cases.

Time for brace, similar to the ones made for big GPU's ?????

Just another reason to forego da hunk, hahaha