• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Thermaltake Smart Power 730 User Review

Athlon2K15

HyperVtX™
Processor Intel Core i9 11900K
Motherboard MSI Z590 Carbon EK X
Cooling Custom Water
Memory Team DDR4 4000MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF RTX 3080 OC
Storage WD WN850 1TB
Display(s) 43" LG NanoCell 4K 120Hz
Power Supply Asus Thor 1200w
Mouse Asus Strix Evolve
Keyboard Asus Strix Claymore
So I had an old OCZ GameXstream 700w that was on its last leg and I had been wanting to replace it for quite awhile. Well It finally just died about a month ago, So I have been looking for something to replace it with. I just happened to have one of the new Thermaltake SmartPower Units come across my desk so I figured I would give you guys a user review on it.

The Smart Power comes in your standard cardboard box with a few flares of color,some logos for the 80+ certification and the 5 year warranty.The power supply carries on the same design as the box ,and the casing is made of steel so it feels pretty solid when you hold it.

This power supply as you can see is a single rail design with 56A on the 12v line, which should be enough for even higher end systems.

The power supply comes with an included octopus on the backside. The main ATX 24pin is the only sleeved connection,which isnt too big of a deal to alot of users but if you want a really clean look inside your case i would suggest sleeving them.

As I stated at the start of the article I needed to replace my broken down OCZ unit.The above two photos show idle and load power consumtion from the OCZ unit. 117Watts Idle and 262 Load which was applied by running OCCT PSU Tester.

These two photos are the idle and load numbers pulled from my kill a watt while running rthe same tests on the thermaltake unit. 3 watts saved during idle and 8 watts at load.

sorry about the blurry pic, but you can make out that the SmartPower 5v line runs around 5.01v at idle.

The 12v line runs around 12.11v at idle with the system in my sig pulling from it.

As you can see my bench setup for checking out this power supply isnt the best but running the same OCCT PSU tester the smart power dropped to 11.99v which is still in spec for the 12v line.

You can grab up this psu @ newegg for 84.99 with rebate. Its a good unit that just works like its supposed to. I have been using it nonstop for the last month or so playing movies,streaming netflix and even some old school emulator play on my HTPC and it seems to be pretty solid. So if anyone here is in the market for a psu and just wants something they can throw in there case and not have to worry about it I would definetly recommend this unit.

System Name The Dove Box Rev 3.0
Processor i7 8700k @ 4.7GHz
Motherboard Asus Maximus X APEX
Cooling Custom water loop
Memory 16GB 3600 MHz DDR4
Video Card(s) 2x MSI 780 Ti's in SLI
Storage 500GB Samsung 850 PCIe SSD, 4TB
Display(s) 27" Asus 144Hz
Case Enermax Fulmo GT
Audio Device(s) ON BOARD FTW
Power Supply Corsair 1200W
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Win 10 64x
Not bad, a scope would be much better than your multimeter.

Good work man!