• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

This is a reason NOT to mine Chia...

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
System Name Fat NCASE
Processor Ryzen R9 3900X
Motherboard ASUS TUF GAMING B550M ZAKU (WIFI) Edition
Cooling Scythe Fuma with 3 SCYTHE Wondersnail 2400RPM + Arctic MX2
Memory Corsair Vengeance 128GB @3200Mhz Cl16 (32GB X 4)
Video Card(s) Palit RTX 3060 StormX ITX 12GB
Storage MX500 4TB SATA + Toshiba MG08 16TB HDD
Display(s) LG 27UL500 4K monitor
Case Jonsbo W2 black
Audio Device(s) Onboard realtek 1200 & Soundblaster G3 usb
Power Supply ASUS ROG STRIX 850W Gundam Edition
Mouse Elecom wireless mouse :)
Keyboard RK100 Royal Kludge
Software Windows 10 HOME
Benchmark Scores Don't know any benchmark. It runs good enough for me.
Chia was initially marketed as the crypto where you can use your spare hdd space to make some money but the reality it turns out people just emptying shelves of bestbuy HDD and clearing all newegg/amazon stocks of them. It also become an industrial size operation now. The Chia network space current at 10.44EIB have already surpassed backblaze servers in total storage use. It storing nothing but just "lottery ticket" numbers. It sadden me to see hdd being filled with literally meaningless coupons. This was promoted as a "green crypto" but looking at the hdd consumption and the burning up of ssds is anything but green. Add to it to plot faster aka mine faster you need a cpu with alot of threads and a high number of ram space to do it quickly.

People used ssd to mine Chia so they are able to mine faster at the expense of ssd life, it better to do it on old rust spinners despite that slower mining speed at least you don't burn up precious ssd writes. Anyway the pandora box for Chia is open now, the HDD hoard and SSD hoard is well underway now. Currently most Chia miners are buying are nvme ssd for their speed but I am afraid its a matter of time before sata based ssd would be affected too.

Yeah, I always thought HDDs would be better for this but aparently access times effect your earnings too.

Just seems messy and nonproductive all around.

Yeah I agree but many people used as SSD in hope of faster profit to catch up with the growing network. It take about 1Tib to write one plot of Chia the size of 101Gib. Judging by the Chia network size now of 10.44Eib, that means at the worse case 104Eib of SSD writes are used. Damn that is tons of ssd burned up.

Edit : You can plot 4 to 5 times more with SSD with a HDD.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Greed distorting a utopian vision is all too familiar in crypto land, I'm afraid.

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider
I think of it otherwise... ie what kind of trash we are fed to actually... QLC+, smaller tech nodes etc etc... it just milking and making more profit not making better products, the stupid burst speed that does nothing in real life... like netburst style for more MHz, popcorn useless ones.

NAND ain't that durable... it's been proven during time, especially in mobile phone tech... for example anyone using torrent on their phones is a plain stupid idiot, you don't even need Chia to kill a NAND, well it takes usually 6 months to exhaust overprovisioning area and overprovisioning areas ain't that big there. I see dead memory IC's each day... with all data permanently lost.

Basically the TWB numbers are a thing you should be aware off and they tend to drop. I look at them really skeptically for newer IC's. Manufacturers clearly say, more bits in the stack, the less endurance it will have. They are kinda racing towards the wrong end instead of reliability they go for profit and appeal.

I imagine flooding the gray market with those dead drives with overwritten SMART to fool the client. Manufacture date would be fresh...

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
I think of it otherwise... ie what kind of trash we are fed to actually... QLC+, smaller tech nodes etc etc... it just milking and making more profit not making better products, the stupid burst speed that does nothing in real life... like netburst style for more MHz, popcorn useless ones.

NAND ain't that durable... it's been proven during time, especially in mobile phone tech... for example anyone using torrent on their phones is a plain stupid idiot, you don't even need Chia to kill a NAND, well it takes usually 6 months to exhaust overprovisioning area and overprovisioning areas ain't that big there. I see dead memory IC's each day... with all data permanently lost.

Basically the TWB numbers are a thing you should be aware off and they tend to drop. I look at them really skeptically for newer IC's. Manufacturers clearly say, more bits in the stack, the less endurance it will have. They are kinda racing towards the wrong end instead of reliability they go for profit and appeal.

I imagine flooding the gray market with those dead drivers with overwritten SMART to fool the client. Manufacture date would be fresh...
The only real longevity advance that was made recently was 3d stacking. Beyond that, it's been a downhill roll, yeah...

Used to be I'd only buy mlc drives. Been forced to tlc now unfortunately...

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider
Any pcie4 ones? That's what's getting me.

You need that pcie4 ? I would take older 970Pro not the renamed evo drive that calls himself 980Pro. MZ-V7P1T0BW (1,024 GB) 5 Years or 1,200 TBW vs MZ-V8P1T0BW (1TB) 5 Years or 600 TBW...

As for my main drive I am happy that I didn't cheap out on my Optane drive, especially looking now at GPU prices, it looks peanuts. My mere 5.11 PB write limit... and it is plain stupid fast no matter how full.

Shame the tech ain't developing much further. I am considering even picking up Intel Optane 905P 380G SSD M.2 NVME 22110, while it is still obtainable.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
You need that pcie4 ?
I don't NEED any of it but if I was to upgrade, it'd be nice, yeah. It'd also use less lanes than my current RAID card for same performance in burst speed, so...

I mean I don't even know why I'm asking really. I have to have OPAL encryption for my document handling at work, so that makes my options extremely limited. /sighs.

phill

Staff member
System Name Not so complete or overkill - There are others!! Just no room to put! :D
Processor Ryzen Threadripper 3970X
Motherboard Asus Zenith 2 Extreme Alpha
Cooling Lots!! Dual GTX 560 rads with D5 pumps for each rad. One rad for each component
Memory Viper Steel 4 x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz not sure on the timings... Probably still at 2667!! :(
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 3090 with front and rear active full cover water blocks
Storage I'm bound to forget something here - 250GB OS, 2 x 1TB NVME, 2 x 1TB SSD, 4TB SSD, 2 x 8TB HD etc...
Display(s) 3 x Dell 27" S2721DGFA @ 7680 x 1440P @ 144Hz or 165Hz - working on it!!
Case The big Thermaltake that looks like a Case Mods
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1600W T2
Mouse Corsair thingy
Keyboard Razer something or other....
VR HMD No headset yet
Software Windows 11 OS... Not a fan!!
Benchmark Scores I've actually never benched it!! Too busy with WCG and FAH and not gaming! :( :( Not OC'd it!! :(
I don't understand the coin but I have read they are meant to be releasing out very high TBW but I still don't really get it, the point of it at all.... I'm not sure why you'd want to run it... But its very frustrating considering I was toying with a server drive upgrade and then this happened lol

Ah well :D

You need to use server class which can survive stuff like 2-3 full HDD rewrites per day. And those are a bit expensive. Also good deal more reliable and sorta faster than regular ones.

Chia is interesting concept, but my HDDs are just too precious to me.

System Name ChronicleScienceWorkStation
Processor AMD Threadripper 1950X
Motherboard Asrock X399 Taichi
Cooling Noctua U14S-TR4
Memory G.Skill DDR4 3200 C14 16GB*4
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon VII
Storage Samsung 970 Pro*1, Kingston A2000 1TB*2 RAID 0, HGST 8TB*5 RAID 6
Case Lian Li PC-A75X
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Software Proxmox 6.2
You need to use server class which can survive stuff like 2-3 full HDD rewrites per day. And those are a bit expensive. Also good deal more reliable and sorta faster than regular ones.

Chia is interesting concept, but my HDDs are just too precious to me.
You can also go with used enterprise SSDs, in particular Intel DC S3700 is a great choice. An array of that costing maybe $400 US will support a farm as large as 2 PB.

If these old drives are nowhere to find (might be all grabbed), new enterprise drives like "Samsung PM983 NF1" aren't crazily expensive:

Though, probably lots of people won't be doing research and just keep buying consumer ones (not even buying those 1TB 1.8 PBW ones, but the 0.6 PBW Samsung junk) as they are cheaper short term.

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
You, guys, forgot one important thing: there is a big difference between plotting and farming.
Plotting is what kills your SSD, and plotting isn't as "lightweight" and "green" of a task as developers lead us to believe, but it only needs to be done once for each of your plots. Rich people use dedicated Xeon Platinum or Threadripper machines with tons of RAM for plotting, in addition to large arrays of NVME SSDs, though it's also possible to plot on HDD itself(only a loo-o-o--o-o-t slower).
Farming, on the other hand, only needs a whatever 4T CPU with lots of HDD storage, and consumes significantly less power (even HDDs are only spinning while you have a block to check against your plots, but 99% of the time remain dormant).
So, if someone decides to get into Chia thing, all he or she needs to do is open their eyes, turn on their brain(or at least a tiny portion of it), and RTFM. You can even guesstimate your TBW based on how much you want to plot, and figure out approximately when you'll need to get a spare drive. Plus, most high-tier SSDs can outlast their rated TBW by a large margin (SLC/2LC, or even enterprise TLC).

Just to put it in perspective, I'll use some numbers from my last experiment. At most I can generate around 2 plots simultaneously on a 1TB drive. I've only done sequential plotting due to space constraints, but if I can do ~2-3 plots per day sequentially, let's just assume that you can do 6 plots (~0.6TB) by doing a pair of plots at a time. So, if you have a 1TB TLC drive - you'll be able to exceed rated TBW in approximately 2.5-3 years (which is incidentally a most common warranty for low-to-mid-range TLC). For QLC it's theoretically the same if not more, since your write speeds are gonna fall so low, that you won't be able to generate more than 1/2 plot per day (which in terms of writes is even less than its rated DWPD). On a HDD it's even slower.
People have been actively plotting chia only in the past few months, so if someone's SSD died within this short of a timeframe(even QLC) - that's 99% manufacturer's fault and maybe 1% user fault due to some ridiculous operating conditions.

There are also some articles that use random garbage off reddit as a source of information, like quoting 1.5-2TBW per plot, which is f#$%ing ridiculous.
I've generated over 40 plots on my SSD, and here's what my S.M.A.R.T. looks like:

SX8200.PNG
This drive is more than 1.5y.o., and it's also my primary storage, and it suffered through a few dozen of agonizing 150+GB rsyncs from one of my work servers (lots of small- and medium-sized files) and gathered most of its TBWs thanks to bloated modern games, yet for some reason I don't see an extra 80TBW on top of what I had before, if that sensational number was actually true. Realistically your TBW per plot is the same or a little higher than the size of temporary files for each plot (e.g. 250-300GB). This means that my 40 plots have accumulated no more than 12TBW, and not that scary 70-80TBW according to reddit numbers (or whatever source those stupid idiots from tech news sites are quoting).

I use a Samsung 980 PRO 2TB for my windows volume and it is among the fastest boot times out there.

Cooling Noctua U14S-TR4
Case Lian Li PC-A75X
Software Proxmox 6.2
I was expecting something like this will be available, I hope it isn't too expensive lol

That would be a senseless waste of money...
Not a waste comparing to killing off multiple of consumer SSDs which likely would have plotted less; it's 21 PBW vs ~3-5 PBW of consumer SSDs of similar volume, at a similar price.
But then yeah you may have to think twice before investing into Chia at its current state.

You, guys, forgot one important thing: there is a big difference between plotting and farming.
Plotting is what kills your SSD, and plotting isn't as "lightweight" and "green" of a task as developers lead us to believe, but it only needs to be done once for each of your plots. Rich people use dedicated Xeon Platinum or Threadripper machines with tons of RAM for plotting, in addition to large arrays of NVME SSDs, though it's also possible to plot on HDD itself(only a loo-o-o--o-o-t slower).
Farming, on the other hand, only needs a whatever 4T CPU with lots of HDD storage, and consumes significantly less power (even HDDs are only spinning while you have a block to check against your plots, but 99% of the time remain dormant).
So, if someone decides to get into Chia thing, all he or she needs to do is open their eyes, turn on their brain(or at least a tiny portion of it), and RTFM. You can even guesstimate your TBW based on how much you want to plot, and figure out approximately when you'll need to get a spare drive. Plus, most high-tier SSDs can outlast their rated TBW by a large margin (SLC/2LC, or even enterprise TLC).

Just to put it in perspective, I'll use some numbers from my last experiment. At most I can generate around 2 plots simultaneously on a 1TB drive. I've only done sequential plotting due to space constraints, but if I can do ~2-3 plots per day sequentially, let's just assume that you can do 6 plots (~0.6TB) by doing a pair of plots at a time. So, if you have a 1TB TLC drive - you'll be able to exceed rated TBW in approximately 2.5-3 years (which is incidentally a most common warranty for low-to-mid-range TLC). For QLC it's theoretically the same if not more, since your write speeds are gonna fall so low, that you won't be able to generate more than 1/2 plot per day (which in terms of writes is even less than its rated DWPD). On a HDD it's even slower.
People have been actively plotting chia only in the past few months, so if someone's SSD died within this short of a timeframe(even QLC) - that's 99% manufacturer's fault and maybe 1% user fault due to some ridiculous operating conditions.

There are also some articles that use random garbage off reddit as a source of information, like quoting 1.5-2TBW per plot, which is f#$%ing ridiculous.
I've generated over 40 plots on my SSD, and here's what my S.M.A.R.T. looks like:

View attachment 201988
This drive is more than 1.5y.o., and it's also my primary storage, and it suffered through a few dozen of agonizing 150+GB rsyncs from one of my work servers (lots of small- and medium-sized files) and gathered most of its TBWs thanks to bloated modern games, yet for some reason I don't see an extra 80TBW on top of what I had before, if that sensational number was actually true. Realistically your TBW per plot is the same or a little higher than the size of temporary files for each plot (e.g. 250-300GB). This means that my 40 plots have accumulated no more than 12TBW, and not that scary 70-80TBW according to reddit numbers (or whatever source those stupid idiots from tech news sites are quoting).
At most I can generate around 2 plots simultaneously on a 1TB drive
Quite certain you can do 3, it takes at most 260 GB (239 GiB) for one plot.
Realistically your TBW per plot is the same or a little higher than the size of temporary files for each plot (e.g. 250-300GB).
I believe this isn't true, generating a plot it needs to do 1.7 TB write if memory serves.
PS: unless this has changed, otherwise
One k32 writes 1.8TiB in non-bitfield mode and 1.6 TiB with bitfield enabled.

Last edited:
Not a waste comparing to killing off multiple of consumer SSDs which likely would have plotted less; it's 21 PBW vs ~3-5 PBW of consumer SSDs of similar volume, at a similar price.
But then yeah you may have to think twice before investing into Chia at its current state.
No, it's still a waste...

Cooling Noctua U14S-TR4
Case Lian Li PC-A75X
Software Proxmox 6.2

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
Quite certain you can do 3, it takes at most 260 GB (239 GiB) for one plot.
I think on several of my attempts to do 2-3 plots simultaneously I ran out of space. Maybe I misconfigured my delays and completed plots weren't clearing up fast enough for new ones to start.

One k32 writes 1.8TiB in non-bitfield mode and 1.6 TiB with bitfield enabled.
There's conflicting info, cause in one of their other articles they've mentioned something along the lines of 360GB per plot, while in the beginning of this article they start with 1.3TBW per plot etc. etc. etc.
Otherwise math doesn't add up: 40 plots x 1.8TBW = 72TBW, which is approximately the same as my grand-total TBW, including 1.5 years of excessively-active usage. Pretty sure I had at least 40-50TB clocked even before CHIA. If I manage to get another HDD, I'll do some tests just to be sure.

Cooling Noctua U14S-TR4
Case Lian Li PC-A75X
Software Proxmox 6.2
I think on several of my attempts to do 2-3 plots simultaneously I ran out of space. Maybe I misconfigured my delays and completed plots weren't clearing up fast enough for new ones to start.

There's conflicting info, cause in one of their other articles they've mentioned something along the lines of 360GB per plot, while in the beginning of this article they start with 1.3TBW per plot etc. etc. etc.
Otherwise math doesn't add up: 40 plots x 1.8TBW = 72TBW, which is approximately the same as my grand-total TBW, including 1.5 years of excessively-active usage. Pretty sure I had at least 40-50TB clocked even before CHIA. If I manage to get another HDD, I'll do some tests just to be sure.
It will be interesting to actually test, so far all my calculations are based on the 1.7 TB per plot assumption; I will take it as a worst-case scenario for now.

System Name Ryzen 2023
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700
Motherboard Asrock B650E Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory G Skill Flare X5 2x16gb cl32@6000 MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 6950 XT Nitro + gaming Oc
Storage WESTERN DIGITAL 1TB 64MB 7k SATA600 Blue WD10EZEX, WD Black SN850X 1Tb nvme
Display(s) LG 27GP850P-B
Case Corsair 5000D airflow tempered glass
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-850W
Mouse A4Tech V7M bloody
Keyboard Genius KB-G255
Software Windows 10 64bit
I generally hate crypto but chia is another level of stupidity. You make plots and hope that one day you will get chosen and paid. That's like digging all around the earth in plots hoping to find a plot with hidden gold. Plus the fact that is destroys hard drives at record pace thus creating a lot of e waste.

Last edited: