• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Throttlestop - change profile does not change setting in TPL

joeupwu

Hi,

I am a new user of throttlestop. I found it is a very useful tool to cool down my notebook. I would like to have different setting for different profile and can switch by hotkey as what it is designed for.

But I found a problem that only the FIVR settings can be switched between profile, and the settings in TPL remain the same while switching profile. Is it the limitation or what's wrong of my settings?

Thanks!

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
It is a limitation of ThrottleStop. Maybe someday you will be able to have different power limits for each profile.

joeupwu

It is a limitation of ThrottleStop. Maybe someday you will be able to have different power limits for each profile.

Wish the feature come soon. Anyway, the ThrottleStop is a very good utility!!
Thanks!

a_bolog

Any workarounds for this?

Would be cool to have different profiles with different power limits.

System Name Dell G15 5510
Processor Intel® Core™ i5-10500H
Motherboard DELL 0N28DR
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 OC (Laptop) / Intel UHD Graphics
Storage NVMe Kioxia
Display(s) 1080p 120Hz
Power Supply Dell 180W
Software Microsoft Windows 11 Professional (x64)
I look forward to the arrival of this feature too, to limit my CPU to 10W on battery only. I managed to unlock my Dell G15 I5-10500H and now I have -120mV offset, no thermal throttling and a battery that lasts for hours, thank you very much @unclewebb!!!

a_bolog

I have not yet got around to adding this feature. No idea when or if it will ever happen.

My case is that I want to limit the laptop based on wattage because it actually represents the heat generated which then translates into fan noise.
All laptop control softwares do the profiles of the CPU by changing PL1 and PL2, instead of changing the MHz Frequency like Throttlestop.
Which is a bit smarter because the CPU is able to reach higher maximum clocks on lighter tasks.
Because at the moment in TS if I want a "silent fan" profile, most I can do is cap the Mhz... which hurts performance, even though technically the cooler can handle 20W of heat before fans kick in.
Profile 1: 60W ( render, game, hot, max fans )
Profile 2: 20W ( silent fans while programs can still hit 4.5Ghz, as I am not capping through MHz)
I think would make sense to have PL1 and PL2 saved on every profile.
I know it's easier said than done, but I really think you should re-consider the benefits this can add.

TzortzisG

Guys, just do what everybody else does. Change the different TPL values (PL1, PL2, SpeedShift MAX, etc) and copy the .ini somewhere else. Do that for all the different custom TPL profiles you want. Then create small batch files that kill throttlestop process, replace .ini with appropriate, and then restart throttlestop. You can put these batch files on desktop and assign keyboard shortcuts, same as throttlestop does for the profiles (ctrl+alt+key). It's not perfect, but you can have a batch for battery with low speedshiftmax and pl1/2, a gaming one with everything unlimited, etc. This is what I do on my 11th gen tigerlake oven of a laptop with everything in the FIVR section locked...

a_bolog

Guys, just do what everybody else does. Change the different TPL values (PL1, PL2, SpeedShift MAX, etc) and copy the .ini somewhere else. Do that for all the different custom TPL profiles you want. Then create small batch files that kill throttlestop process, replace .ini with appropriate, and then restart throttlestop. You can put these batch files on desktop and assign keyboard shortcuts, same as throttlestop does for the profiles (ctrl+alt+key). It's not perfect, but you can have a batch for battery with low speedshiftmax and pl1/2, a gaming one with everything unlimited, etc. This is what I do on my 11th gen tigerlake oven of a laptop with everything in the FIVR section locked...

Can you paste your batch file text?

a_bolog

IT IS COMING!
unclewebb for president!

1663584959345.png

Talon

Any update on this? I found a new and useful need for this quick switching. Would be awesome if we could bind this to a hotswap key entry.