• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Time to change this PSU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
my problem is with you stating that if there is no "defect" in any form to a psu, it will work fine,
which i have seen more than once not to be the case.
I am sorry you don't understand what I am saying, but it does not change the facts. Just because you were not able to find the defect, that does not mean it did not exist. Did you analyze each of those PSUs on a scope with a variety of realistic loads? If not, then you don't know if they were defective, or not.

I must point out again that my point is dependent on the fact the PSU is the right one for the task.

Yes, transient loads can be, and sometimes are an issue. But if the GPU is causing such excessive transients loads then consider this, (1) The GPU is at fault, or (2) that is not the right PSU for the task, or (3) both.

I also ask you note exactly what I am saying and stop saying I said something different. I didn't say the PSU "will work fine", I said it will be working properly and that means, per published specs. If may not work fine if not the right PSU for the job. You keep ignoring where I keep saying it must be the right PSU for the job.

so stating the psu cant be the cause, because its working, is not always correct.
I didn't say that either. :(

I'm moving on. Have a good day.

Processor 6900K @ 4.3Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte x99 ultra gaming
Cooling H115i pro xt
Memory Tridentz 3200 32gb
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 4070
Storage 970 EVO 500gb
Display(s) AOC g2460pf
Case Non branded shit
Power Supply Corsair Rm550x
Mouse Logitech G603 Double click mode
Keyboard TGK205
Software Win 10
Edit: Any suggestion on a good PSU at a decent price? I dont need high W , mostly im going to go for 7800x3d + RTX 4070 or something like that in the future , i have a small case (that i like).

Just bought a brand which have garantee in your country. Dont know where you living but here on brazil only corsair has a local garantee post to swap. Sending overseas is a really nightmare here and certanilly cost more than a new psu.... or even a minimum wage thanks to thieves and their taxes.

After lost a good money on over 800W+ of different brands dying randonly, I learned the lesson. Just bought a RM550X running on 100~120% load and give a fck for this, next week it will complete 2 years and counting :laugh:

@Bill_Bright
my problem is with you stating that if there is no "defect" in any form to a psu, it will work fine,
which i have seen more than once not to be the case.
The OP has already stated that the problem was traced down to the system RAM. Their PSU is fine.

We're done here. Unless @izy has any objections, perhaps it would be a good idea to close thread to avoid any further pointless nonsense.

System Name DadsBadAss
Processor I7 13700k w/ HEATKILLER IV PRO Copper Nickel
Motherboard MSI Z790 Tomahawk Wifi DDR4
Cooling BarrowCH Boxfish 200mm-HWLabs SR2 420/GTX&GTS 360-BP Dual D5 MOD TOP- 2x Koolance PMP 450S
Memory 4x8gb HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 4000
Video Card(s) Asrock 6800xt PG D w/ Byski A-AR6900XT-X
Storage WD SN850x 1TB NVME M.2/Adata XPG SX8200 PRO 1TB NVMe M.2
Display(s) Acer XG270HU
Case ThermalTake X71 w/5 Noctua NF-A14 2000 IP67 PWM/3 Noctua NF-F12 2000 IP67 PWM/3 CorsairML120 Pro RGB
Audio Device(s) Klipsch Promedia 2.1
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 w/CableMod PRO ModMesh RT-Series Black/Blue
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Aluminun Mechanical Clicky Thing With Blue LEDs, hows that for a name?!
Software Win11pro
My 2c.

10yr old Seasonic 1050. Among the very best of the best of its era. Ever so slightly past its warranty period. 2 months to be exact. Tested underload with a multi annually. It went out silently last month. No warning, no magical smoke, no dramatic POP!, no slow degradation, no pretty lights. Nothing unusual. It simply refused to power on. What it did do is take out my MSI z370 Gaming Pro Carbon Wifi and i7 8086k when it died. Tore the cover off. Nothing. No bad caps. No burn marks. Clean as a whistle. Looked damn near new for being 10+ years old.

So be prudent in giving advice to people trying to squeeze another year or two out of PSUs that should be relegated to test bench status at best. This, "if it still works it will be fine", mentality is not solid advice when...

A- we're talking about near to or out of warranty units or
B- talking about low quality units to begin with.

This cavalier attitude very well may cost another member his hard earned gear. It doesn't help anyone in the long run.

the54thvoid

Super Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
Yup, as lex has mentioned, PSU is no longer the suspect. Locking thread for now. @izy if you want it opened again, please PM me.

Status
Not open for further replies.