• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU's Nostalgic Hardware Club

System Name Main W10
Processor i7 2700K
Motherboard Gig Z77 HD4
Cooling Xigmatech Tower Cooler
Memory 16 GB G-Skill 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX 1080ti 11GB
Storage WD Gold 2 TB HD
Display(s) Acer 27" 1440P
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro
Audio Device(s) JDS Labs Element DAC/AMP
Power Supply Rosewill Hive 650 watt
Mouse MX 518
Keyboard Cherry 3000 with Blues
Interesting...I'll have to try that. :) Thanks!

System Name Main W10
Processor i7 2700K
Motherboard Gig Z77 HD4
Cooling Xigmatech Tower Cooler
Memory 16 GB G-Skill 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX 1080ti 11GB
Storage WD Gold 2 TB HD
Display(s) Acer 27" 1440P
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro
Audio Device(s) JDS Labs Element DAC/AMP
Power Supply Rosewill Hive 650 watt
Mouse MX 518
Keyboard Cherry 3000 with Blues
How much is in there now? You didn't say earlier..
The old RAM in there was 4 1GB Dimms and I added a 2GB Samsung. It works at tri-channel OK, 6Gb total. These are all single-sided Dimms.
I don't have any more single-sided Dimms to try.

System Name Donnager
Processor 13900KS, lapped and contact frame
Motherboard Asus Z790 Hero
Cooling Heatkiller IV CPU block, Heatkiller V GPU block, GTX 480mm radiator, D5 pump
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury 7200C38
Video Card(s) eVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3
Storage Optane 380GB M.2 OS drive, M.2 2TB game drive
Display(s) Alienware 34" Ultrawide 120Hz 3440x1440
Case Fractal Meshify 2 XL
Audio Device(s) Outlaw RR2150 stereo receiver driving DIY kits, Schiit Asgard for Sennheiser HD6XX headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1000W
Personally, I would probably keep the original heatsink on top of that thing. Of course, after washing the shroud and replacing both fans...

Can you at least mount the original VRAM heatsinks back in place? It's difficult to tell from the photo whenever there's enough clearance or not.

Edit
Looking at the shroud from the inside, I see that it uses uniquely designed fan(s).

What you could try is to mount a standard 60x60 or 70x70 fan & see if the two diagonal holes will match the original ones on the shroud. If not, you could always drill your own ... it would still appear more original & authentic than Zalman. That's just my personal opinion of course, the card is yours to do as you please :)

I agree. I want to try both setups and see which works. A blade was bent but not broken and I was able to bend it back so it won't bind against the shroud. What I don't like is how the heatsink gets more indirect airflow from the fans pushing air towards each other. Given the power consumption of a card like this with a nice slab of copper I'm sure it works fine anyway. I might still have a DD Maze gpu block around here to use, too.
Might even try to volt mod it.

I didn't know it existed? Had never seen it and to be fair, there's nothing wrong with a new thread focused specifically on purchasing advice(as opposed to building advice), which has been taking up a lot of space here in this thread and is not really on topic. Creating a new thread for discussions to take place is not a problem, it solves a problem.
Interesting video from one of my two favorite AUSSIE You Tubers. This video testing new and old PSUs, on a Socket A Motherboard, as regards the 5w rail, it seems the older ones work better on that.o_O

good informative video as usual.:)

System Name Adison "Open Space" 19
Processor Intel Pentium II, 350MHz
Motherboard Chaintech 6BTM, Slot 1
Cooling SECC Cartridge
Memory 1x 64MB, PC100
Video Card(s) ATI Rage IIc AGP, Diamond Monster 3DII 12MB
Storage BTC BCD-40XH, Quantum Fireball 3.5 Series, EX6.4 GB
Display(s) LG StudioWorks 57M
Case Adison Midi Tower, ATX
Audio Device(s) Creative SoundBlaster 128
Power Supply Codegen 300W
Mouse Genius SlimStar 110, PS/2
Keyboard Genius SlimStar 110, PS/2
Software Microsoft Windows 98
Interesting video from one of my two favorite AUSSIE You Tubers. This video testing new and old PSUs, on a Socket A Motherboard, as regards the 5w rail, it seems the older ones work better on that.o_O

Ha! I always use old power supplies in my retro builds, along with the original, mechanical hard drives for storage (instead of those IDE to CF card adapters or SSD). Sometimes even cheap, generic PSU units such as Codegen, for as long as I know that it works OK...

Ha! I always use old power supplies in my retro builds, along with the original, mechanical hard drives for storage (instead of those IDE to CF card adapters or SSD). Sometimes even cheap, generic PSU units such as Codegen, for as long as I know that it works OK...
Funny you should mention SSD,s this is another of my fav you tubers. He tries using an SSD for Win 98 installation.
needless to say the SSD was about the same as the HDD.Like a lot of older stuff they were made to last. :)

Cooling SECC Cartridge
Memory 1x 64MB, PC100
Funny you should mention SSD,s this is another of my fav you tubers. He tries using an SSD for Win 98 installation.
needless to say the SSD was about the same as the HDD.
Of course... Using modern components inside the truly vintage, period-correct system is the waste of time & money if you ask me. Nothing ... and I repeat /nothing/ works better than the real deal! My Pentium II 350 will boot Win98 off the mechanical hard drive (Quantum Fireball) in less than a minute. In less than HALF a minute, to be exact. I would love to see the same result on a modern-day system ... even with SSD!

One of these will do I think:

But like I said measure your caps to make sure they're the same size or at least very close.

For this type of component I typically use just hot air for the whole process, the pcb can soak up quite a bit of heat without a pcb heater so an iron is not very effective. Cover the area around where you're soldering with aluminum foil to shield everything else from direct heat. If you want to be fancy you can use soldering paste too but I normally just tin the pads and use a bit of flux.

OK thanks! (sorry for the late reply)
They are 6mm x 3mm, let's see if I can find a replacement of the same size

EDIT: uhm they are ALL 7.3mm x 4.3mm :(
EDIT2: OK, looks like 6mm x 3.2mm are only available at 10V: https://www.distrelec.ch/en/passive...e~~uF=100&filter_Length~~mm=6&sort=Price:desc

Can I use one of those?

Last edited:
Of course... Using modern components inside the truly vintage, period-correct system is the waste of time & money if you ask me. Nothing ... and I repeat /nothing/ works better than the real deal! My Pentium II 350 will boot Win98 off the mechanical hard drive (Quantum Fireball) in less than a minute. In less than HALF a minute, to be exact. I would love to see the same result on a modern-day system ... even with SSD!
The guy is just doing it as an experiment for a video.13k of people have given it a thumbs up. o_OLike the one he tried to do installing 95 with floppy diskettes that failed. Here it is
29 diskettes o_O
Wow that is a fast boot and for an HDD:eek:

Last edited:
Cooling SECC Cartridge
Memory 1x 64MB, PC100
The guy is just doing it as an experiment for a video.13k of people have given it a thumbs up. o_O
I know, I know. But what I meant to say was in real-world application. He certainly wasn't the first one to put SSD inside an old computer, and probably not the last one either. It's possible, but does not give much or any advantage over the real thing, from back in a day.

I know, I know. But what I meant to say was in real-world application. He certainly wasn't the first one to put SSD inside an old computer, and probably not the last one either. It's possible, but does not give much or any advantage over the real thing, from back in a day.
I guess you are right there, It is a waste of time. Good for him with all the people
watching the video,

Last edited:
Cooling SECC Cartridge
Memory 1x 64MB, PC100
System Name The Banshee
Processor Ryzen 5 5600 @ 4.45GHz
Motherboard AsRock X370 Taichi
Cooling CM Hyper 212 Plus
Memory 16GB 2x8 G.Skill Trident Z 3600 CL16 1.35V
Video Card(s) RTX 3060M 6GB @ 1750-2000MHz Core / 1875MHz Mem
Storage 1TB Kingston NV2 & 1TB Mass Storage HDD
Display(s) LG 25UM57-P @ 75Hz OC
Case Fractal Design Arc XL
Audio Device(s) ATH-M20x
Power Supply Evga SuperNova 1300 G2
Mouse Evga Torq X3
Keyboard Thermaltake Challenger
Software Win 10 Pro 64-Bit
OK thanks! (sorry for the late reply)
They are 6mm x 3mm, let's see if I can find a replacement of the same size

EDIT: uhm they are ALL 7.3mm x 4.3mm :(
EDIT2: OK, looks like 6mm x 3.2mm are only available at 10V: https://www.distrelec.ch/en/passive-components/capacitors/polymer-capacitors/smd-tantalum-electrolytic-capacitors/c/cat-DNAV_PL_03020703?filter_Width~~mm=3.2&filter_Capacitance~~uF=100&filter_Length~~mm=6&sort=Price:desc

Can I use one of those?
Okay so they're 2412 package. Can you buy them from anywhere else? Mouser has exactly what you need, 2412 100uF 16V and they ship worldwide.

Yep sure I can buy them there, thanks!
Can you shortly remind me why 16V and not 10V (my understanding was that the original ones are 100uF 10V)

System Name The Banshee
Processor Ryzen 5 5600 @ 4.45GHz
Motherboard AsRock X370 Taichi
Cooling CM Hyper 212 Plus
Memory 16GB 2x8 G.Skill Trident Z 3600 CL16 1.35V
Video Card(s) RTX 3060M 6GB @ 1750-2000MHz Core / 1875MHz Mem
Storage 1TB Kingston NV2 & 1TB Mass Storage HDD
Display(s) LG 25UM57-P @ 75Hz OC
Case Fractal Design Arc XL
Audio Device(s) ATH-M20x
Power Supply Evga SuperNova 1300 G2
Mouse Evga Torq X3
Keyboard Thermaltake Challenger
Software Win 10 Pro 64-Bit
Yep sure I can buy them there, thanks!
Can you shortly remind me why 16V and not 10V (my understanding was that the original ones are 100uF 10V)
There's no real downside to using a higher voltage rated cap, I don't know if the input voltage for the VRM is 5V or 12V so that's why I suggested 16V since it's fine with either.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
There's no real downside to using a higher voltage rated cap
Except for possibly being larger for the same amount of capacitance.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.

Yup, 5V was a way bigger deal in the old ATX standards - new ones barely have any 5V capacity at all

System Name Master
Processor Pair of Xeon X5675's @ 4.3
Motherboard SR-2 Classified
Memory 12 GB of Corsair Dominator GT's @ 2000 7-7-7-21
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX680
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750
Interesting, 24pin ATX but now AUX12V?

I bagged a Gainward 6800GT Golden Sample off ebay last week. The shroud and one fan blade were pretty beat up, but it should work. Might have been in a smokers home, or just never cleaned. Swapped my Zalman to it already, but I'll compare against the stock copper skived sink setup.
How beat up is it? I have the same card with a dead fan. I would like to buy them if you're not going to use it. :)

Keullo-e

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X up to 5.05GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop (CPU+GPU, 240 & 120 rads)
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury @ DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6700 XT Fighter OC/UV
Storage ~4TB SSD + 6TB HDD
Display(s) Acer XV273K + Lenovo L32p-30
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow White
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K
I got chills when I saw that manufacturer, one of their units murdered an innocent 6600 GT over 16 years ago. :(

After that I haven't used any low-tier PSUs, so a lesson learned there :laugh:

Cooling SECC Cartridge
Memory 1x 64MB, PC100
I got chills when I saw that manufacturer, one of their units murdered an innocent 6600 GT over 16 years ago. :(

After that I haven't used any low-tier PSUs, so a lesson learned there :laugh:
I know, I believe you already told me so once before :D

What can I say, I never had a PSU damaging the entire system (or any hardware component, for that matter) although I did have several of them go bad, to the point where the system couldn't POST.

Anyhow, I guess the brand name doesn't really mean anything, as it's all pretty much the same on the inside. What you want (and need) is to make sure that the unit is either recapped or fully functional before you plug it into the system. Because replacing old power supplies with modern ones is NOT the answer, due to multiple reasons even. As Phil demonstrated in his video, some of the new units can't even handle the high current requirements, not to mention the fact that most units sold nowdays no longer have molex or floppy connections. Leaving you with bundles of SATA & VGA connectors which are not going to be used & cluttering up the case.

I know, I believe you already told me so once before :D

What can I say, I never had a PSU damaging the entire system (or any hardware component, for that matter) although I did have several of them go bad, to the point where the system couldn't POST. o_O

Anyhow, I guess the brand name doesn't really mean anything, as it's all pretty much the same on the inside. What you want (and need) is to make sure that the unit is either recapped or fully functional before you plug it into the system. Because replacing old power supplies with modern ones is NOT the answer, due to multiple reasons even. As Phil demonstrated in his video, some of the new units can't even handle the high current requirements, not to mention the fact that most units sold nowdays no longer have molex or floppy connections. Leaving you with bundles of SATA & VGA connectors which are not going to be used & cluttering up the case.
What do you do if an old PSU stops working or goes bad in an old ATX PC? From that video, I would go for an old refurbished modal. Until I saw that video I would have gone with a new one. Oh, that is another thing with the new ones not having Molex or floppy connections, I did not think of that.o_O

Cooling SECC Cartridge
Memory 1x 64MB, PC100
What do you do if an old PSU stops working or goes bad in an old ATX PC? From that video, I would go for an old refurbished modal. Until I saw that video I would have gone with a new one. Oh, that is another thing with the new ones not having Molex or floppy connections, I did not think of that.o_O
Personally I would just grab another one & try my luck one more time. Over time, I've had multiple systems with PSU issues but I remember one of them in particular. Slot 1, which would power on (LED indicator would light up) except none of the fans would turn on and there was absolutely no signs of life, whatsoever. As in no picture, no beeps, no hard drive ... nothing except the LEDs.

I immediately replaced the PSU for another one & system POSTed perfectly fine afterwards.

Personally I would just grab another one & try my luck one more time. Over time, I've had multiple systems with PSU issues but I remember one of them in particular. Slot 1, which would power on (LED indicator would light up) except none of the fans would turn on and there was absolutely no signs of life, whatsoever. As in no picture, no beeps, no hard drive ... nothing except the LEDs.

I immediately replaced the PSU for another one & system POSTed perfectly fine afterwards.
I hope the *Delux PSU *on the Retro PC I have ordered on eBay has no problems,
The seller said it is working fine.I had never heard of the make *Delux*before but it has been going for years has anyone else heard of the make before?
It is a custum build. :)

Attachments

• 1653568389008.png
    1653568389008.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 31
Last edited: