• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

True nature of E-cores and how effective are they?

System Name ❶ Oooh (2024) ❷ Aaaah (2021) ❸ Ahemm (2017)
Processor ❶ 5800X3D ❷ i7-9700K ❸ i7-7700K
Motherboard ❶ X570-F ❷ Z390-E ❸ Z270-E
Cooling ❶ ALFIII 360 ❷ X62 + X72 (GPU mod) ❸ X62
Memory ❶ 32-3600/16 ❷ 32-3200/16 ❸ 16-3200/16
Video Card(s) ❶ 3080 X Trio ❷ 2080TI (AIOmod) ❸ 1080TI
Storage ❶ NVME/SSD/HDD ❷ <SAME ❸ SSD/HDD
Display(s) ❶ 1440/165/IPS ❷ 1440/144/IPS ❸ 1080/144/IPS
Case ❶ BQ Silent 601 ❷ Cors 465X ❸ Frac Mesh C
Audio Device(s) ❶ HyperX C2 ❷ HyperX C2 ❸ Logi G432
Power Supply ❶ HX1200 Plat ❷ RM750X ❸ EVGA 650W G2
Mouse ❶ Logi G Pro ❷ Razer Bas V3 ❸ Logi G502
Keyboard ❶ Logi G915 TKL ❷ Anne P2 ❸ Logi G610
Benchmark Scores I have wrestled bandwidths, Tussled with voltages, Handcuffed Overclocks, Thrown Gigahertz in Jail
PLEASE, NO INTEL/AMD FANBOY ANTAGONISM!

What is your opinion on intels motivation for introducing e-cores. Sometime ago I met a self-confessed AMD jock suggesting intels E-cores are just a poor attempt to overshadow AMD's "core count" which can't be achieved with performance cores alone. Although my buying decision is mostly based on benchmarks and price, i have to admit now everytime I come across e-cores I do end up second guessing the purpose behind them.

Whether the above statement is true or not, are e-cores effectively achieving what they're designed for?

- If yes, how effectively and in what type of workloads

- If no, might this be just down to poor implemention with ADL with positive signs going forward (next Gen/Gens)?

System Name daily driver Mac mini M2 Pro
Processor Apple Silicon M2 Pro (6 p-cores, 4 e-cores)
Motherboard Apple proprietary
Cooling Apple proprietary
Memory Apple proprietary 16GB LPDDR5 unified memory
Video Card(s) Apple Silicon M2 Pro (16-core GPU)
Storage Apple proprietary 512GB SSD + various external HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UL850W (4K@60Hz IPS)
Case Apple proprietary
Audio Device(s) Apple proprietary
Power Supply Apple proprietary
Mouse Apple Magic Trackpad 2
Keyboard Keychron K1 tenkeyless (Gateron Reds)
Software macOS Ventura 13 (including latest patches)
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
While I don't know how Intel's E-core implementation works, for sure they are motivated to improve performance-per-watt which is a super important metric for their Datacenter business.

Apple's philosophy is that performance cores handle intensive workloads that are sensitive to latency and efficiency cores handle background and threaded workloads. This M-series SoC philosophy carries over from their long history doing the same with A-series mobile SoCs. I remember Apple making some sort of claim that their efficiency (Blizzard) cores provide about 70% of the performance of their performance (Avalanche) cores at a fraction of the power.

I surmise that a lot of the actual performance gains are heavily tied to the CPU task scheduler and its ability to accurately assign workloads to the right silicon.

Of course, Apple takes this a step further by putting ML cores and GPU cores on the same package, all of them drawing from the same RAM. Apple also has hardware media transcoders, security silicon, and I believe some signal processing stuff. They introduced these on their homegrown T2 Security Chip before they unveiled the M-series silicon.

For Apple, it's important to acknowledge that over 85% of their Mac unit sales are notebook models. They are supremely motivated to offer great performance-per-watt for battery powered devices.

It's important to recognize that Datacenter is the fastest growing business for the big three: Intel, AMD, and Nvidia. Much of their focus on silicon features addresses that business instead of the traditional PC (desktop or notebook) market which was pretty stagnant before pandemic driven work-at-home policies temporarily bolstered PC sales.

For sure, Datacenter business growth prospects are also driving Intel's dive into discrete GPU development far more than PC gaming.

Last edited:

ir_cow

Staff member
I believe TPU already has a article on this topic.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Intel needed them to compete with AMD's multi threaded performance.
Intels cores are less power efficient, and in order to compete they had to keep adding cores or raising clock speeds - and they're already pushing the wattages far higher than we've ever seen before.

In order to keep the ST performance and gain MT performance, they added power efficient cores to boost the MT performance.

For most users, they're pretty useless. Gamers have no benefits from them, home users have no benefits - it's not like windows will shut down to E-cores only to save power on the desktop or anything, they just turn on to help with heavily threaded workloads.

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
They are space-efficient cores that give more mutlithreaded oomph, as well as additional threads for background tasks for the least amount of die space, there's a piece of silicon (thread director) that automatically runs background tasks on them while the foreground application runs on the performance cores.

In practice the implementation works well - especially for a first gen product.

I would disagree with @Mussels - for gamers they allow the P cores to run the game while providing additional threads for background tasks, making the cost much less on the foreground application.

12700k maxing the E-cores when downloading a game in the background and still having P-cores for gaming ! : intel (reddit.com)

The end result is that you have the same or better MT and extremely high ST on a less dense and less power efficient node than tsmc 5/7. So I would say they work well enough that without them Intel would not be competitive in the desktop space.

Last edited:
System Name Sunk Cost Fallacy
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock B650E Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev. 7
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 7900 XTX Vapor-X
Storage WD Black SN850X 1TB + 2x 2TB, 2x 4TB Crucial MX500, 4TB Samsung 870 Evo.
Display(s) Alienware AW2723DF, LG 27GR93U, LG 27GN950-B
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Bose Companion Series 2 III, Sennheiser GSP600 and HD599 SE - Creative Soundblaster X4
Power Supply bequiet! Dark Power Pro 12 1500w Titanium
Mouse Logitech GPRO X Superlight & G502 X
Keyboard Corsair K65 RGB Mini, Razer Black Widow V3 TKL
VR HMD Oculus Rift S
What is your opinion on intels motivation for introducing e-cores
a desperate attempt to not lose by a LOT in any kind of multithreaded workloads against a 142WZen 2 Ryzen from 3 years ago.
more cores are barely possible when 8 cores already pull north of 200W.

in my opinion e-cores have absolutely no reason to exist in something that does not run off a battery.

Last edited:
Case Apple proprietary
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
It's worth pointing out that US federal government has power efficiency mandates for computing equipment, starting with the power supply unit but realistically encompassing everything in a PC (as well as peripherals) from a holistic viewpoint. It's safe to assume that the feds will continue to push for higher efficiency levels in the future.

Remember that electricity is money. If you have 10,000 people at the General Accounting Office step away from their desktop PCs a couple of hours a day for meals, breaks, meetings, whatever, that's power/money to be saved.

There's an EnergyStar sticker on your monitor for a reason.

Let's say the policy is to leave a desktop PC on 24x7 for maintenance (software updates, security scans) and backup purposes. A full-time employee (220 days a year, 8 hours/day) is only on their computer 20% of the time. Okay, maybe it'll go to sleep/hibernate, but "Wake on LAN" will revive the system. Still, any time a system is idling, it's using power so doing tasks in the background. If they shut off their PCs on weekends, they're still on their computers about a third of the time.

And as E-cores/P-cores silicon becomes more prevalent, it is likely that Microsoft will optimize Windows 11, Windows 12, and beyond to take better advantage of the differences between these cores. How Windows handles E-cores today is unlikely how it will be five years from now. Alder Lake is the first generation of consumer CPUs with this technology but it's here to stay.

It is foolish to look at Alder Lake and say, "This is how it will be forever." We are already surrounded by other instances of differentiated silicon. CPU E-cores are the latest most prominent consumer-facing development but it certainly isn't the first nor last.

Somewhere in a lab, there's a function being done on prototype silicon that is currently being handled in software by your typical CPU. I don't know what it is but people are working on it. AV1 decoding? Its successor? Its successor's successor?

Last edited:

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
They are space-efficient cores that give more mutlithreaded oomph, as well as additional threads for background tasks for the least amount of die space, there's a piece of silicon (thread director) that automatically runs background tasks on them while the foreground application runs on the performance cores.

In practice the implementation works well - especially for a first gen product.

I would disagree with @Mussels - for gamers they allow the P cores to run the game while providing additional threads for background tasks, making the cost much less on the foreground application.

12700k maxing the E-cores when downloading a game in the background and still having P-cores for gaming ! : intel (reddit.com)

The end result is that you have the same or better MT and extremely high ST on a less dense and less power efficient node than tsmc 5/7. So I would say they work well enough that without them Intel would not be competitive in the desktop space.

If you need to use process lasso and manually screw with things to get the E-cores to help, they're not useful - you could do the same on any regular CPU
The comments section on that very post says that windows already does this for dual CCX ryzen

snip for the lazy:
1661822861740.png

Edit: poster was playing starcraft II, a game that uses one thread for the game and one for the graphics rendering.
He said he notices lag downloading while gaming on an antique DX9 game - because his P cores lose the boost frequencies when they multi task

System Name His & Hers
Processor R7 5800X/ R9 5950X Stock
Motherboard X570 Aorus Master/ROG Crosshair VIII Hero
Cooling Corsair h150 elite/ Corsair h115i Platinum
Memory 32 GB 4x8GB 4000CL15 Trident Z Royal/ 32 GB 3200 CL14 @3800 CL16 Team T Force Nighthawk
Video Card(s) Evga FTW 3 Ultra 3080ti/ Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090
Storage lots of SSD.
Display(s) LG G2 65/LG C1 48/ LG 27GP850/ MSI 27 inch VA panel 1440p165hz
Case 011 Dynamic XL/ Phanteks Evolv X
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro + gaming Dac/ Corsair sp 2500/ Logitech G560/Samsung Q990B
Power Supply Seasonic Ultra Prime Titanium 1000w/850w
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed/ Logitech G Pro Hero.
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB Platinum/ Logitech G Pro
I feel like most buyers of ADL seem pretty happy with their purchases and me from the outside looking in it seems the E cores accomplished what intel set out for them to do, boost MT performance without making the CPU consume 400w of power. Alder lake is the first intel arch that is remotely exciting in forever though and both the 12600k and 12700k are hard to beat if building a new system price/performance.

Personally I'm not a huge fan and it will likely be at least till Meteor lake that I feel comfortable supporting intels hybrid arch assuming it's actually better than Zen4 X3D/Zen 5 if it slips even further.

Processor AMD 7600x
Motherboard Asrock x670e Steel Legend
Cooling Silver Arrow Extreme IBe Rev B with 2x 120 Gentle Typhoons
Memory 4x16Gb Patriot Viper Non RGB @ 6000 30-36-36-36-40
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT MERC 319
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 1Tb NVME
Display(s) 3x Dell Ultrasharp U2414h
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower PF3 850 watt
E-cores IMO should really be focused on Laptop/Ultra small/Small form factor PCs for power efficency/cooling limitations. IF and WHEN operating systems AND software become more aware of big.LITTLE sort of architecture it will have relevance in higher end desktops/workstations etc.

Intel however have shoe horned them into High end desktop chips purely to make up for core counts/efficeny claims as they are fighting a node deficency currently and will be 2 nodes down when Zen 4 releases in <4 weeks now.

Case Apple proprietary
If you need to use process lasso and manually screw with things to get the E-cores to help, they're not useful - you could do the same on any regular CPU
That's poor support by the operating system today, not inferiority of the E-core technology as a concept. In this case, Intel can build it but Microsoft (or the Linux developers) need to properly implement the feature.

I don't recall Apple nailing E-core support the first time around on whatever iPhone SoC it debuted.

Eventually Microsoft will figure this out. I don't know when but they will.

System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x/5600x
Motherboard B450 AORUS M
Cooling EK AIO - 6 fan action
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW
Storage Various
Display(s) PIXIO IPS 240Hz 1080P
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6
Simplistically e-cores/e-peen doesnt do wonders.

ppn

Intel "Meteor Lake" 2P+8E Silicon Annotated

Using Meteor lake as an example

4 threads Ecore ~ 4,7 mm² and it lacks AVX 512 unit
4 threads Pcore ~ 8,6 mm² including the AVX 512 unit that is locked on Alder lake.

4 threads Ecore @ 4.0 Ghz is 2000 CPUz score
4 threads Pcore @ 5.0 Ghz is 2000 CPUz score but it needs 100% more power and it takes 100% real estate to do so

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
I think it doesn't matter this generation which CPU you go for, they're going to be very close in performance regardless.

to OPs original question: are E cores good at what they're designed for? I think everyone that has used them would say yes. Benchmarks would say yes. The fact that Intel are competitive at all would point to yes.

People who haven't used them or those who hate intel because they were run by a bunch of anti-competitive sheisters and BS artists for over a decade, would say no (and I kind of get it).

That being said if you're on the fence between AM5 and Raptor Lake, I don't think e cores are really the consideration. I would go AM5 u will have a platform last more than 1 generation and when X3D lands -- that's where the performance will be.

System Name Teh Beast
Processor Intel i9 14900K
Motherboard Asus STRIX Z790E-E
Cooling Noctua U12A Chromax
Memory 64GB G.Skill T5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus 4070 Super
Storage 1X 1TB SN850X - 1 X 4TB SN850X - 2 X 2TB 980 Pro
Display(s) LG 38" 38GL950G + LG 27" 27GP83B-B
Case Lian Li o11 Air Mini
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x
Software WIndows 11 Pro
Anecdotal but my 12900K system is the smoothest and most responsive system I have ever had, this includes my previous 10900K and 3900X machines, So i guess the E-Cores are doing a good job at background tasks.

Here is the fundamental model taught to EEs about how much power a transistor uses. Its 16 pages, though dense and definitely need above-average math skills to make it through.

One of the major formula is as follows (there are other contributions to power, but I think this is one of the most "pieces" of power consumption. We'll ignore the other bits of the document for simplicity):

1661825850212.png

CL IIRC is a function of how small the transistors are. So the smaller the transistor, the less capacitance, the less power they use. This, along with density (ie: packing 1-million transistors in smaller-and-smaller areas) is why advanced nodes is such a big deal, less capacitance means less power, and more transistors mean more parallelism.

That being said, if we assume the same process, we are stuck as far as capacitance is concerned.

------------

The thing we can control as engineers is:

1. Voltage -- the lower the voltage, the slower the clock will be. But notice the "square" on voltage, 1.5V will have 2.25x more power usage than 1V.

2. Frequency -- The higher the frequency, the more power usage there is. 3000 MHz will have 50% more power than 2000 MHz.

3. Number of outputs -- The number of bits that change each clock tick is more of a software thing than a hardware thing. But different hardware designs could use fewer bits-per-clock tick, but they'd be slower.

Fundamentally, if you're aiming for low power usage, you'll make a dramatically different design than if you're aiming for absolute speed.

---------

E-cores probably are designed to have much lower clocks, at much much lower voltage, with fewer bits changing per clock-tick. This dramatically slows down code, but the power-decrease is multiplicative. If you can "speed the code up" with multiple threads, say using 4-cores (each with only say, 10% power usage), you'll have 40% overall power, rather than 100% power of 1-core running as fast as possible.

That's the general idea. Of course, there's more complications but this should give you at least an idea of what EEs are thinking with these chip designs. Overall, the physics make sense, but there's a big question if the software will be written correctly for this new model of computation. After all: we already know that its not possible to turn all algorithms into parallel forms. And in many cases, 4x threads may only lead to 2x speedup, so maybe the power-savings won't be as good as expected.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Case Fractal Design R6
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Anecdotal but my 12900K system is the smoothest and most responsive system I have ever had, this includes my previous 10900K and 3900X machines, So i guess the E-Cores are doing a good job at background tasks.
I mean sure, but I also felt the same way when i upgraded to my ryzen 1400 back in the day :p

You can't be sure it's the E cores that makes it smoother, and not just being a faster CPU overall with more cores/threads

System Name ❶ Oooh (2024) ❷ Aaaah (2021) ❸ Ahemm (2017)
Processor ❶ 5800X3D ❷ i7-9700K ❸ i7-7700K
Motherboard ❶ X570-F ❷ Z390-E ❸ Z270-E
Cooling ❶ ALFIII 360 ❷ X62 + X72 (GPU mod) ❸ X62
Memory ❶ 32-3600/16 ❷ 32-3200/16 ❸ 16-3200/16
Video Card(s) ❶ 3080 X Trio ❷ 2080TI (AIOmod) ❸ 1080TI
Storage ❶ NVME/SSD/HDD ❷ <SAME ❸ SSD/HDD
Display(s) ❶ 1440/165/IPS ❷ 1440/144/IPS ❸ 1080/144/IPS
Case ❶ BQ Silent 601 ❷ Cors 465X ❸ Frac Mesh C
Audio Device(s) ❶ HyperX C2 ❷ HyperX C2 ❸ Logi G432
Power Supply ❶ HX1200 Plat ❷ RM750X ❸ EVGA 650W G2
Mouse ❶ Logi G Pro ❷ Razer Bas V3 ❸ Logi G502
Keyboard ❶ Logi G915 TKL ❷ Anne P2 ❸ Logi G610
Benchmark Scores I have wrestled bandwidths, Tussled with voltages, Handcuffed Overclocks, Thrown Gigahertz in Jail
appreciate everyones input on this. I understand for a gamer, basic business applications, photoshop, "MT-occasional" video editing/rendering and general use the e-cores are uncooperative hence not a feature worth aspiring to. If correct, this makes things a little easier to understand. Although multi-threaded video rendering demands may benefit to some degree these are just home videos I sometimes work on (maybe once or twice a month)

As someone rightly guessed, i'm looking into e-cores and sharpening up on the know-how prior to pulling the trigger on Z4/RPL. I've been leaning more towards the AM5 socket for that gen-2-gen support which was a mouthful with AM4 although I'm more than happy to wait and see everything come into benchmark fruition (Zen 4, RPL and 40-series cards). My 9700K and 2080 system is holding up well so no hurry!

I have used a laptop for a long time now, for me e-cores are worthless. Sure I have a fast laptop, its 6p cores, 8 ecores, but the battery life on intel laptop are way worse than modern day AMD processor laptops.

I couldnt wait any longer for the AMD 6000 processors to come out so I bought a laptop with a intel processor. And to this day, not enough laptops have the newer 6000 apu processor, the ones that do have them are not in the my market or its not in my target customer type.

Processor faster than yours
Motherboard better than yours
Cooling cooler than yours
Memory smarter than yours
Video Card(s) better performance than yours
Storage stronger than yours
Display(s) bigger than yous
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) clearer than yours
Power Supply more powerful than yours
Mouse lighter than yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
Intels cores are less power efficient, and in order to compete they had to keep adding cores or raising clock speeds...For most users, they're pretty useless. Gamers have no benefits from them, home users have no benefits
but why the general obsession over core count, threads, e-cores, p-cores, i-core, x-core., etc.,etc., Shouldn't we be judging CPUs as a whole not just parts of them? As one of your fellow Aussie's, techspot/hardware unboxed, have stated many times "Games don't require a certain number of cores, they never have and they never will. Games require a certain level of CPU performance, it's really that simple"

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard ASUS B550M-Plus WiFi II
Cooling Noctua U12A chromax.black
Memory Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600Mhz
Video Card(s) Palit RTX 4080 GameRock OC
Storage Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB + 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Asus XG35VQ
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) Creative Gigaworks - Razer Blackshark V2 Pro
Mouse Razer Viper
Software Windows 11 64bit
That approach is the future and AMD will have to adapt.
We only need 6-8 extremely fast cores at ridiculously high frequency and a truckload of small ones to work when is needed (MT).

The concept all p cores is a dead end.

Processor faster than yours
Motherboard better than yours
Cooling cooler than yours
Memory smarter than yours
Video Card(s) better performance than yours
Storage stronger than yours
Display(s) bigger than yous
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) clearer than yours
Power Supply more powerful than yours
Mouse lighter than yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
Anecdotal but my 12900K system is the smoothest and most responsive system I have ever had, this includes my previous 10900K and 3900X machines,

You can't be sure it's the E cores that makes it smoother, and not just being a faster CPU overall with more cores/threads

I'm currently all Intel (12600k, 9700k, 10400) plus laptops although 20 years ago it was the exact opposite. For work, I can't tell the difference between any of the CPUs, for gaming I can't tell the difference between the 9700k & 12600k (10400 is only used for work).

Toothless

Tech, Games, and TPU!
Supporter
System Name Veral
Processor 5950x
Motherboard MSI MEG x570 Ace
Cooling Corsair H150i Elite
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Powercolor 7900XTX Red Devil
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 1TB, Samsung 980 1TB, Teamgroup MP34 4TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro XZ342CK Pbmiiphx + 2x AOC 2425W
Case Fractal Design Meshify Lite 2
Audio Device(s) Blue Yeti + SteelSeries Arctis 5 / Samsung HW-T550
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard Corsair K55
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Professional
Benchmark Scores PEBCAK
I swear some of you people love to make something harmless into something controversial. E-cores are fantastic at managing background processes, leaving more room for the P-cores to be open for heavier tasks.

This isn't about power usage. It's not about the Skylake equal of these smaller cores being, well, not as good. It's just support cores in a sense.

System Name Ghetto Rigs z490|x99|Acer 17 Nitro 7840hs/ 5600c40-2x16/ 4060/ 1tb acer stock m.2/ 4tb sn850x
Processor 10900k w/Optimus Foundation | 5930k w/Black Noctua D15
Motherboard z490 Maximus XII Apex | x99 Sabertooth
Cooling oCool D5 res-combo/280 GTX/ Optimus Foundation/ gpu water block | Blk D15
Memory Trident-Z Royal 4000c16 2x16gb | Trident-Z 3200c14 4x8gb
Video Card(s) Titan Xp-water | evga 980ti gaming-w/ air
Storage 970evo+500gb & sn850x 4tb | 860 pro 256gb | Acer m.2 1tb/ sn850x 4tb| Many2.5" sata's ssd 3.5hdd's
Display(s) 1-AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz/ 2nd 1-ASUS VG248QE 24"/ 3rd LG 43" series
Case D450 | Cherry Entertainment center on Test bench
Audio Device(s) Built in Realtek x2 with 2-Insignia 2.0 sound bars & 1-LG sound bar
Power Supply EVGA 1000P2 with APC AX1500 | 850P2 with CyberPower-GX1325U
Mouse Redragon 901 Perdition x3
Keyboard G710+x3
Software Win-7 pro x3 and win-10 & 11pro x3
Benchmark Scores Are in the benchmark section
Hi,
If an os actually optimizes these e threads let me know :laugh:
Until then I'll stick to real cores with two threads thank you very much :cool:

Processor R9 5950x
Motherboard Asus x570 Crosshair VIII Formula
Cooling EK 360mm AIO D-RGB
Memory G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16gb (CL16@3800MHz)
Video Card(s) PNY GeForce RTX 3090 24GB
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB NVMe | Intel 660p 2TB NVMe
Display(s) Acer Predator XB323QK 4K 144Hz
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Objective2 Amp/DAC | GoXLR | AKG K612PRO | Beyerdynamic DT880| Rode Pod Mic
Power Supply Corsair AX 850w
Mouse Razer DeathAdder Elite V2
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum RGB "Cherry MX Brown"
VR HMD Oculus Rift
Software Window 11 Pro
ECores is only as good if software supports it well (looking at MS)