• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Trying to fix graphics card

TheGhastModding

I have a broken PowerColor R9 280X that I've been trying to fix for a while now. The original problem was that the GPU just didn't output any video anymore. Infact, the motherboard refuses to post if I try to use the card alone. If I put a second card in my PC for video, I can boot into windows, where the drivers don't recognize it, though it does show up in device manager and GPU-Z (I don't have a screenshot of that right now since the card isn't in my system anymore, but I can get one later if someone wants to see it). Booting into Linux Mint causes it to spit out a whole lot of error messages about the card "not responding" before hanging up. I tried cleaning the card and checking it for physical damage, but there is none. I also re-flashed the BIOS with a known good one two times with no effect. I'm also pretty sure that the GPU is ok, since the card's cooler does warm up when I power the card, so it is doing something.

Is there anything else I can try to fix it?

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS