• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TSMC Allocation the Next Battleground for Intel, AMD, and Possibly NVIDIA

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
With its own 7 nm-class silicon fabrication node nowhere in sight for its processors, at least not until 2022-23, Intel is seeking out third-party semiconductor foundries to support its ambitious discrete GPU and scalar compute processor lineup under the Xe brand. A Taiwanese newspaper article interpreted by Chiakokhua provides a fascinating insight to the the new precious resource in the high-technology industry - allocation.

TSMC is one of these foundries, and will give Intel access to a refined 7 nm-class node, either the N7P or N7+, for some of its Xe scalar compute processors. The company could also seek out nodelets such as the N6. Trouble is, Intel will be locking horns with the likes of AMD for precious foundry allocation. NVIDIA too has secured a certain allocation of TSMC 7 nm for some of its upcoming "Ampere" GPUs. Sources tell China Times that TSMC will commence mass-production of Intel silicon as early as 2021, on either N7P, N7+, or N6. Business from Intel is timely for TSMC as it is losing orders from HiSilicon (Huawei) in wake of the prevailing geopolitical climate.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

The only way Intel usurps AMD in the race from getting high volumes on the top tier (TSMC) nodes is if they abandon or at least partially pull back on their ambitious plans on 7nm & 5nm of their own. Between consoles, enterprise, client & of course GPUs I bet AMD is right up there as of now, alongwith Apple, as the most lucrative partner & that TSMC will certainly not want to jeopardize their relations because Chipzilla had a sudden change of heart.

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
Yeah in a somewhat ironic twist, AMD's financial woes meant the days of "real men have fabs" was over as it was something they couldn't afford anymore, and becoming a TSMC customer instead helped them leapfrog the big blue meanie.

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600@80W
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling ZALMAN CNPS9X OPTIMA
Memory 2*8GB PATRIOT PVS416G400C9K@3733MT_C16
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 6750 XT Pulse 12GB
Storage Sandisk SSD 128GB, Kingston A2000 NVMe 1TB, Samsung F1 1TB, WD Black 10TB
Display(s) AOC 27G2U/BK IPS 144Hz
Case SHARKOON M25-W 7.1 BLACK
Audio Device(s) Realtek 7.1 onboard
Power Supply Seasonic Core GC 500W
Mouse Sharkoon SHARK Force Black
Keyboard Trust GXT280
Software Win 7 Ultimate 64bit/Win 10 pro 64bit/Manjaro Linux
Intel won't be a stable partner for TSMC. It is a direct competitor to them to be frank. So, why to help them win over their permanent partner that AMD is to them? For longterm strategy this isn't a good plan. And those companies work mainly on that longterm strategy plans. My 5c.

Intel won't be a stable partner for TSMC. It is a direct competitor to them to be frank. So, why to help them win over their permanent partner that AMD is to them? For longterm strategy this isn't a good plan. And those companies work mainly on that longterm strategy plans. My 5c.

Not quite, they dont build chips to anyone other them themselfes.

As much as I like to see Intel suffer, TSMC should remain as neutral as possible and provide fab services as fairly as possible in this cutthroat business world.

ARF

Intel also competes directly with TSMC for the ASML lithography machines.

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
TSMC should remain as neutral as possible and provide fab services as fairly as possible in this cutthroat business world.
TSMC has a finite number of wafers available (+ spare production capacity).
with contracts signed to supply existing customers
its going to come down to Intels FAT Wallet i suspect that wafer costs will rise due to demand and that finite supply !!!
Bulk wafer auctions anyone

ARF

its going to come down to Intels FAT Wallet i suspect that wafer costs will rise due to demand and that finite supply !!!

No . ?

System Name Daves
Processor AMD Ryzen 3900x
Motherboard AsRock X570 Taichi
Cooling Enermax LIQMAX III 360
Memory 32 GiG Team Group B Die 3600
Video Card(s) Powercolor 5700 xt Red Devil
Storage Crucial MX 500 SSD and Intel P660 NVME 2TB for games
Display(s) Acer 144htz 27in. 2560x1440
Case Phanteks P600S
Audio Device(s) N/A
Power Supply Corsair RM 750
Mouse EVGA
Keyboard Corsair Strafe
Software Windows 10 Pro
This war will be driven by cash.
Intel have cash, lots of it. Maybe they figured its time to start burning it. Better late than never...

So correct me if I am wrong. Are you saying Intel will pay TSMC more money to favor Intel over AMD?
Because that is what Intel does best.

Intel gets in just in time as Huawei has to pull out. Probably Intel saw how everybody else seems to be profiting from TSMC, and now that they know their own R&D process has stalled compared to TSMC, they have to fall in line or go down with the ship. I believe Intel has had problems with research for years already. Or they just didn't want their research to be "too fast", because as almost a monopoly, they could stall research forever. No wonder they have problems now and Intel needs this to work. Whoever thinks Intel doesn't want to do this, doesn't understand how much they are scrambling for a chance right now to survive.

System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
provide fab services as fairly as possible in this cutthroat business world.

HAHAHAHAHAHA...... as the saying goes "all is fair in love & war"....

And just to be clear, this IS war, no if's, andz, or BUTTs about it, and TSMC doesn't/won't give a crap whoelse wins or loses, as long as the mega-huge-giga-normous orders keep coming in from all sides, they are in it to win it, in no uncertain terms :rockout:

Cutthroat you say...nah, surely not :fear:

Intel did this to themselves and has nobody else to blame...

I'm soooo glad I bought a bunch of TSMC shares back when they were a much smaller & undervalued company (just like I did with that little fruit stand in Cupertino !) ..:respect:..:p..:peace:

System Name Forgal
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Asus RoG Strix X570-E Gaming
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280
Memory 4x16 GiB Crucial Ballistix PC4-28800, 16-18-18-38
Video Card(s) MSI Suprim Liquid GeForce RTX 4090
Storage 2 TB ADATA XPG SX8200Pro + 4 TB S860 + NAS
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF + LG 32UD99-W
Case Fractal Design Define 7 Compact
Audio Device(s) Audioengine HD3 + S8
Power Supply Super Flower SF-1000F14TP Leadex V P130X-1000 Pro
Mouse Razer DeathAdder 2
Keyboard Leopold FC900R OE mx-brown
I'm soooo glad I bought a bunch of TSMC shares back when they were a much smaller & undervalued company
I bought some TSM american depositary receipts (ADRs) 25 years ago. They've appreciated quite a bit since then, but they're not up nearly as much as your AAPL shares.

TSM has shown that they're willing to re-invest billions into their company to grow and be more competitive, and that trust in their own business has paid off. Lesser management would have pissed the money away with stock buy-backs or overly large dividends for short-term stock price returns, but they've grown the value of their shares by growing the value of the company.

I'm so glad I was right seeing this coming. Usually I buy high and sell low lol. But this stock at 29 bucks has beat my expectations. I wish I would of bought more. They are ahead of everyone but Samsung is closest.

This is certainly true. Intel themselves own fabs and are only utilizing TSMC because they are facing difficulties on their end. At some point if they resolve their issues, their reliance on TSMC will reduce. AMD however would seem like a credible long term customer for TSMC since they have moved away from GF for their cutting edge products. I suspect there may be spare capacity that got freed up due to TSMC losing Huawei as a client. So Intel is quite fortunate to be a beneficiary of some of the spare capacity.

I can't help it but feel like this is another Intel cheap trick to strike back at AMD similar to the original opteron/athlon64 days. If you can't beat them with a spanking new architecture then find a way to buy them away. In this case Intel has all the cash to buy as much capacity to starve out AMD and even Nvidia for that matter. This way AMD is limited in terms of expanding capacity/growing no matter how excellent their products are. Also TSMC is growing too big and I don't like it. Intel must stay relevant in the fabrication node race.

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
And Xe would be a major hit that will sell in tens of millions, because...?

It's a clickbait.

It's a clickbait.

Talking to me? I haven't the faintest idea how intel GPU will fare (have suspicions, but nothing concrete) and how many super-computer contracts they already signed for future years.

I never said I do and never said that I think the other article is true, and this one is false. Just pointed that at the same time *this* rumour came up *different* rumour came up, too.

Peace...

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
Intel will use TSMC to gain mindshare. But if you don't think that samples will be going to Intel fabs you would be mistaken. If the past is anything to go by Intel is willing to do just about anything to maintain it's mindshare.

Intel will not buy out existing capacity from others (AMD etc). If TSMC tried to sell i to Intel now they would be in breach of contract with AMD and others and would be sued to hell and back. No amount of Intel cash would compensate this loss of trust. We're are talking about 2022-2023 here. That is what Intel is negotiating now for Xe.

It's a clickbait.
Yes it will sell millions - to supercomputers and datacenters to specific. Remember we are talking about the HPC variant of Xe here not the consumer variant.

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
Yes it will sell millions - to supercomputers and datacenters to specific. Remember we are talking about the HPC variant of Xe here not the consumer variant.
1) It's not something that gets delivered any time soon
2) No way Xe was developed on TSMC processes and no way it could be trivial to just jump off Intel's fab
3) It will largely depend on size. Millions of A100 chips is one thing, millions of 250mm2 chips is another. Note that for consoles alone, AMD will be ordering tens of millions of 300mm2+ chips.