• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TSMC Ends Its Volume Discounts For the Biggest Customers, Could Drive Product Prices Up

3% marginal discount isn't the whole story, those who have access to 6nm node is more vital. 5nm is not cheap, but 5>6nm ported adoption should be the hot commodity.
It's my understanding that 6nm is a variant of 7nm and isn't compatible with 5nm which is totally different, ie it would cost a lot more to port from 5nm to 6nm than what slight saving you see.

It's my understanding that 6nm is a variant of 7nm and isn't compatible with 5nm which is totally different, ie it would cost a lot more to port from 5nm to 6nm than what slight saving you see.
Great intuition, although 6nm is the 7nm node with 5nm rules(that is the striking feature, that it can be backported to DUV!). It foregoes EUV, but that is what you get for cheap process node updates.
Just imagine TSMC can differentiate 2 DUV nodes(enabling clients one migration without the redesign hassle and without any over investment) in the process pipeline of 1 EUV. I mean - what a company! It is huge...

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory 32Gb G-Skill Trident Z Neo @3806MHz C14
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX2070
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 1TB
Display(s) Samsung G9 49" Curved Ultrawide
Case Cooler Master Cosmos
Audio Device(s) O2 USB Headphone AMP
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Cherry MX