• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Undervolting problems, games crash and requires a forced shutdown

Hello. So first off i have a gaming laptop with the specs: i7-9750H, 1660-TI and 16gb ram. I've had issues with my temperatures and very recently came across undervolting. I've since been trying to undervolt both my GPU and CPU since it tends to get quite hot unnecessarily, as in just running the browser or heats up too fast in games. I've been using MSI Afterburner and ThrottleStop to lower the voltages, and in the beginning i could do it. Nothing happened after changing it except the occasional bluescreen where i then added some volts to afterwards. But now, after i do an undervolt on both of my parts my applications, specifically my games, start to not work properly. I tried launching Assassin's creed unity and it froze right before getting to the main menu, and sometimes it would freeze the entire system with the cursor instead of giving me the option to close it which would then require me to turn it off with the power button. i tried it with Batman: Arkham Knight aswell and got the exact same response, although there was something interesting about it since a message pops up talking about something from june/july 2012. Not sure what it is about. i did however also try Portal 2 aswell and that started up, but as soon as something a little more demanding happened (hitting the blue gel liquids) it froze and required the same procedure as before. All of this hasn't happened before and i've done a couple forced shutdowns but i dont want to take the possibility of damaging it further. After these problems i set all my setting to stock again and then it ran as it did before the settings. My question is, is there some sort of option that's causing this? And am i not supposed to undervolt them both at the same time? And how big of a correlation is there really between the GPU/CPU? as in, do they need to be the same values or can they be different values?

Attachments

• Throttle Stopper CPU Cache.PNG
    Throttle Stopper CPU Cache.PNG
    242.1 KB · Views: 931
  • Throttle Stopper CPU Core.PNG
    Throttle Stopper CPU Core.PNG
    239.8 KB · Views: 879
  • Throttle Stopper Intel GPU.PNG
    Throttle Stopper Intel GPU.PNG
    230 KB · Views: 885
  • MSI Afterburner Graph.PNG
    MSI Afterburner Graph.PNG
    18.9 KB · Views: 962
System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
None of the screen shots show an undervolt being applied.
There is no need to undervolt the Discrete GPU.

None of the screen shots show an undervolt being applied.
There is no need to undervolt the Discrete GPU.

really? all the videos i watched showed that this was the way to do it (but i can admit im not 100% on this. especially the GPU one) but there's nothing being applied? So, if you dont mind me asking, how is this supposed to work? offset voltage is the only one i've been told is the one to change. And why shouldnt i undervolt my GPU? it can get up to 87-88C which by other's numbers isn't really the best but not the worst either.

freeagent

Staff member
System Name Altered Beast
Processor AMD R9 5900X/5800X3D
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30
Memory 2x8 G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3200C14, 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Black and White 3200 C14
Video Card(s) Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC
Storage WD SN850X 2TB, SN850 1TB, SN770 1TB - Asus Hyper M.2, 2x SN770 1TB
Display(s) LG 50UP7100
Case Fractal Torrent Compact RGB
Audio Device(s) JBL 2.1 Deep Bass
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 750w G+, Monster HDP1800
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G213
VR HMD Oculus 3
Software Yes
Benchmark Scores Yes
It’s a laptop, it’s supposed to get hot.. especially if you play a game. Starving parts for voltage isn’t the answer imo.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
really? all the videos i watched showed that this was the way to do it (but i can admit im not 100% on this. especially the GPU one) but there's nothing being applied?
The videos are correct in that you can undervolt the CPU and iGPU together, the dGPU is best left alone unless it has very high temps as performance can suffer.
All your screen shots show a 0.0000 Offset, perhaps a microcode update has locked the ability to undervolt, as this has occurred recently via auto updates.

It’s a laptop, it’s supposed to get hot.. especially if you play a game. Starving parts for voltage isn’t the answer imo.

i agree. it isnt the best thing in terms of temps but i've seen people recommending it since that is exactly the issue and it is apparently something that you should only do to a laptop, desktop is probably unneccesary in this part. but, if there is a chance for just a couple celsius lower temperatures it's worth it. And, it's not just games. i experience it in chrome browser aswell most of the time with the fans being at about 4000 rpm

The videos are correct in that you can undervolt the CPU and iGPU together, the dGPU is best left alone unless it has very high temps as performance can suffer.
All your screen shots show a 0.0000 Offset, perhaps a microcode update has locked the ability to undervolt, as this has occurred recently via auto updates.

dammit. so what happened in the screenshots is that i didnt apply it on purpose. those settings were just for people to see the offset values as to make sure the values maybe weren't exaggerated. since me enabling these settings could maybe make the laptop freeze again and i wanted to avoid the possibility. im sorry for that, totally on me.

bilthyboy

Hi. Bumping this up as I have the same issue and specs.

Is it an EVOO 15?

Would love to know an answer as the laptop does overheat and the performance is honestly better then needed on most games.

Thanks

System Name The de-ploughminator Mk-II
Processor i7 13700KF
Motherboard MSI Z790 Carbon
Cooling ID-Cooling SE-226-XT + Phanteks T30
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5 7200Cas34
Video Card(s) Asus RTX4090 TUF
Storage Kingston KC3000 2TB NVME
Display(s) LG OLED CX48"
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Razor Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Corsair K75
Software win11
LOL I'm 100% sure that your GPU is not stable at that clock/voltage.

Here is how to do the overclock + undervolting properly

For laptop, set
+120mhz core clock
+300mhz for memory clock
+Set the undervolt at 725mV point

Last edited: