• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Upgrade from R5 5600 to 5700x3d or go to AM5?

System Name G-Station 1.17 FINAL
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wi-Fi
Cooling DeepCool AK620 Digital
Memory Asgard Bragi DDR4-3600CL14 2x16GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900 XTX
Storage 240GB Samsung 840 Evo, 1TB Asgard AN2, 2TB Hiksemi FUTURE-LITE, 320GB+1TB 7200RPM HDD
Display(s) Samsung 34" Odyssey OLED G8
Case Thermaltake Level 20 MT
Audio Device(s) Astro A40 TR + MixAmp
Power Supply Cougar GEX X2 1000W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Elite (Red)
Software Windows 11 Pro
Speaking of AM4 platform longevity/upgrade-ability...

I went from an i7 3770k on Z77 to an R5 3600 on X570.
On the same X570, I've since upgraded to an R5 5600, and recently a 5800X3D.
Every "step" was a noticeable step up.
Amusingly, the X3D addressed minimum framerates to a point that it extended the usable-life of my Vega(10) card(s).
Word of experience here:
From FX-8320E/GTX1070, to R7-2700/GTX1070, to R7-2700/RTX3070, to R5-5600X/RTX3070, to R5-5600X/RX7900XTX, and finally to the current R7-5700X3D/RX7900XTX pair:
By far the greatest jump I did was migrating from the 8320E to the 2700. It was simply a new world. The 2700, though, held the 3070 back HARD hence the 5600X.
The 5700X3D now didn't make much of my games run faster at the high end of the scale, however it is much better at the low end, MUCH smoother most of the time.

PS: when I did jump from AM3+ to AM4, I spared no expense on the motherboard. This X470 Aorus G7 is an absolute champion. Doesn't even have PCIe 4.0 (well, it had shortly in a beta BIOS before being disabled on AMD's command), but I can't say I'd truly feel the difference be it for the GPU or the M.2 SSD's.

Last edited:
The b650e-f strix (which im also using) isn't that expensive, and then you also have pcie 5.0 for the future.
Meh. It's a marketing checkbox. It'll be a good number of years before it's relevant to anyone but bleeding edge outlier use cases. Not something I would spend a single dime on in 2024. Hell, the over decade old PCIe 3.0 has only recently really started showing its age.

I know this is kinda late but boy do i regret upgrading to AM5. I jumped from 5600x to 7600x. I start to believe there is something seriously wrong with the Socket.
At first got a Asrock B650 Pro RS/7600x. I'd use the IGPU when building the system to do a first check if everything works..
And it just would crash the the AMD driver over and over again after installing windows. At fist i thought it's just the drivers, so i used DDU and then reinstalled the drivers but that wouldn't help so i thought "okay maybe the RAM is bad" so i did Memtest but that ran through without any issues.
I then tried each of the ram bars separately; same issue, tried different RAM; same Issue. Ended up replacing Mainboard,CPU and RAM since i couldn't figure out a solution for days.
Next board was a Asus B650 Tuf and another 7600x. Tried IGPU there as well and first everything seemed to work.. But then i would get a driver reset after enabling Expo. When setting Expo i double checked the voltages it increases and everything was within the "safe" Range AMD advises. So i thought "okay no big deal just disable Expo". Though that didn't help anymore.. even CMOS clear, reset Uefi defaults and a Uefi Update didn't help anymore and at this point it seems like my IGPU is fried. It would literally crash within seconds after booting: Blackscreen, driver reset, blackscreen, driver reset.. so often that Windows would disable the driver... Even when using a Linux Bootdisc it wouldn't work (this certainly isn't realted to drivers) anymore also Blackscreens every few seconds. I now give up. The CPU works fine with a dedicated GPU but the IGPU seems to be dead just by enabling Expo once for 10 Minutes..
Maybe i'm just to stupid or have very bad luck. But within 20 years of building computer systems i never experienced something similar to this. All i can say: Be very careful about Expo..

Last edited:

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D @ 5.15ghz BCLK OC, TG AM5 High Performance Heatspreader
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X670E-I, chipset fans removed
Cooling Optimus AMD Raw Copper/Plexi, HWLABS Copper 240/40+240/30, D5, 4x Noctua A12x25, Mayhems Ultra Pure
Memory 32 GB Dominator Platinum 6150 MHz 26-36-36-48, 56.6ns AIDA, 2050 FLCK, 160 ns TRFC
Video Card(s) RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition, Conductonaut Extreme, 18 W/mK MinusPad Extreme, Corsair XG7 Waterblock
Storage Intel Optane DC P1600X 118 GB, Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB
Display(s) 32" 240 Hz 1440p Samsung G7, 31.5" 165 Hz 1440p LG NanoIPS Ultragear
Case Sliger SM570 CNC Aluminium 13-Litre, 3D printed feet, custom front panel with pump/res combo
Audio Device(s) Audeze Maxwell Ultraviolet, Razer Nommo Pro
Power Supply SF750 Plat, transparent full custom cables, Sentinel Pro 1500 Online Double Conversion UPS w/Noctua
Mouse Razer Viper Pro V2 Mercury White w/Tiger Ice Skates & Pulsar Supergrip tape
Keyboard Wooting 60HE+ module, TOFU Redux Burgundy w/brass weight, Prismcaps White & Jellykey, lubed/modded
Software Windows 10 IoT Enterprise LTSC 19053.3803
Benchmark Scores Legendary
I know this is kinda late but boy do i regret upgrading to AM5. I jumped from 5600x to 7600x. I start to believe there is something seriously wrong with the Socket.
At first got a Asrock B650 Pro RS/7600x. I'd use the IGPU when building the system to do a first check if everything works..
And it just would crash the the AMD driver over and over again after installing windows. At fist i thought it's just the drivers, so i used DDU and then reinstalled the drivers but that wouldn't help so i thought "okay maybe the RAM is bad" so i did Memtes but that ran through without any issues. I then tried each of the ram bars seperatly; same issue, tried different RAM; same Issue. Ended up replacing Mainboard,CPU and RAM since i couldn't figure out a solution for days.
Next board was a Asus B650 Tuf and another 7600x. Tried IGPU there as well and first everything seemed to work.. But then i would get a driver reset after enabling Expo. When setting Expo i double checked the voltages it increases and everything was within the "safe" Range AMD advises. So i thought "okay no big deal just disable Expo". Though that didn't help anymore.. even CMOS clear, reset Uefi defaults and a Uefi Update didn't help anymore and it this point it seems like my IGPU is fried. It would litterally crash within seconds after booting.. so often that Windows would disable the driver... even when using a Linux Bootdisc it wouldn't work (this certainly isn't realted to drivers) anymore. I now give up. The CPU works fine with a dedicated GPU but the IGPU seems to be dead just by enabling Expo once for 10 Minutes..
Maybe i'm just too stupid or have very bad luck. But within 20 years of building computer systems i never experienced something similar to this. All i can say: Be very careful about Expo..
Manual RAM timings/voltages ideal for performance, stability and even to avoid issues like this. I'm not a fan of AMD drivers in general but specifically their video card driver, so I just leave it disabled. Tried having it enabled to run my secondary 2D application only monitor off mobo HDMI, but I didn't like having two display drivers installed both NVIDIA and AMD, and I missed RTX Super Resolution for YouTube.

AM5 in general has been a bit of a roller coaster with AGESA etc, the chipset drivers too. It's fairly stable now, but then again I'm using manual settings for every voltage and RAM timing.

Second generation of AM5 CPUs/boards will probably be smoother out of the box or with auto settings such as EXPO.

Seems like you had a particularly bad iGPU experience. It worked for me when I was using it for a few days.

System Name Gungnir
Processor Ryzen 5 7600X @1.25v
Motherboard ASUS TUF B650M-PLUS WIFI
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assasin 120 SE Black
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 CL36 5600MHz
Video Card(s) XFX RX 6800XT Merc 319 @1.1v @2600MHz clock @2140MHz vram freq. (surprisingly stable)
Storage 1TB WD SN770 | 2TB WD Blue SATA III SSD
Display(s) 1440p 165Hz VA
Case Lian Li Lancool 215
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 80Ohm
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 750W 80 Plus Gold
Mouse Logitech G Pro Wireless
Keyboard Keychron V6
VR HMD The bane of my existence (Oculus Quest 2)
AM5 and ram configs behaved a lot better once I updated my bios, it could also be that.

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
Cooling Optimus AMD Raw Copper/Plexi, HWLABS Copper 240/40+240/30, D5, 4x Noctua A12x25, Mayhems Ultra Pure
Memory 32 GB Dominator Platinum 6150 MHz 26-36-36-48, 56.6ns AIDA, 2050 FLCK, 160 ns TRFC
Video Card(s) RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition, Conductonaut Extreme, 18 W/mK MinusPad Extreme, Corsair XG7 Waterblock
Case Sliger SM570 CNC Aluminium 13-Litre, 3D printed feet, custom front panel with pump/res combo
Power Supply SF750 Plat, transparent full custom cables, Sentinel Pro 1500 Online Double Conversion UPS w/Noctua
Mouse Razer Viper Pro V2 Mercury White w/Tiger Ice Skates & Pulsar Supergrip tape
Keyboard Wooting 60HE+ module, TOFU Redux Burgundy w/brass weight, Prismcaps White & Jellykey, lubed/modded
AM5 and ram configs behaved a lot better once I updated my bios, it could also be that.
He mentioned he upgraded UEFI which is bios.

Did so. The default Bios also wasn't that old.. maybe 1-2 Versions behind the latest Bios. And i mean it's odd that at this point igpu just wouldn't work anymore after i enabled expo. Even without expo it is unusable at this point (as soon as any driver is installed - but without i can't set refreshrate nor the correct resolution). I have no clue what's going on but i honestly think i physically damaged the CPU (igpu) by enabling Expo.

Last edited:
System Name Romeo
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO AX
Cooling Thermalright FC140
Memory HP V10 RGB 32GB ( 2x16 ) RAM 3600 MHz DDR4 CL14
Video Card(s) XFX MERC319 RX 6750XT Black Gaming 12GB GDDR6
Storage XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVME/Crucial MX300 750GB SSD/Seagate Exos x10 10TB 7200RPM
Display(s) AOC 24" Frameless Gaming IPS Monitor FHD 1080P 1ms 144Hz Freesync
Case Corsair Carbide Air 540 High Airflow
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Z PCIe Gaming Sound Card
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME 1300 Gold
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Evga Z15 Mechanical Kailh Speed Silver Switches (Linear)
Software Windows 11 Pro
You should update Bios to latest version before anything.

System Name Sleepy Painter
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus TuF Gaming X570-PLUS/WIFI
Cooling FSP Windale 6 - Passive
Memory 2x16GB F4-3600C16-16GVKC @ 16-19-21-36-58-1T
Video Card(s) MSI RX580 8GB
Storage 2x Samsung PM963 960GB nVME RAID0, Crucial BX500 1TB SATA, WD Blue 3D 2TB SATA
Display(s) Microboard 32" Curved 1080P 144hz VA w/ Freesync
Case NZXT Gamma Classic Black
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1
Power Supply Rosewill 1KW on 240V@60hz
Mouse Logitech MX518 Legend
Keyboard Red Dragon K552
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 2019 LTSC 1809 17763.1757
And it just would crash the the AMD driver over and over again after installing windows. At fist i thought it's just the drivers, so i used DDU and then reinstalled the drivers but that wouldn't help so i thought "okay maybe the RAM is bad" so i did Memtest but that ran through without any issues.
I then tried each of the ram bars separately; same issue, tried different RAM; same Issue. Ended up replacing Mainboard,CPU and RAM since i couldn't figure out a solution for days.
Next board was a Asus B650 Tuf and another 7600x. Tried IGPU there as well and first everything seemed to work.. But then i would get a driver reset after enabling Expo. When setting Expo i double checked the voltages it increases and everything was within the "safe" Range AMD advises. So i thought "okay no big deal just disable Expo". Though that didn't help anymore.. even CMOS clear, reset Uefi defaults and a Uefi Update didn't help anymore and at this point it seems like my IGPU is fried. It would literally crash within seconds after booting: Blackscreen, driver reset, blackscreen, driver reset.. so often that Windows would disable the driver... Even when using a Linux Bootdisc it wouldn't work (this certainly isn't realted to drivers) anymore also Blackscreens every few seconds. I now give up. The CPU works fine with a dedicated GPU but the IGPU seems to be dead just by enabling Expo once for 10 Minutes..
Maybe i'm just to stupid or have very bad luck. But within 20 years of building computer systems i never experienced something similar to this. All i can say: Be very careful about Expo..
While I wouldn't call it 'a big problem', I can't help but notice more folks around the web *actually using* their CPU's warranty.
By my observations: These last few generations of CPU (from both Blue and Red) have had a higher defect-rate.
My 5600 for example, ended up w/ a bad core.

Since you've already gone through and documented so much, I'd bet AMD would honor a warranty replacement (assuming, you bought new)

Keullo-e

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X up to 5.05GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop (CPU+GPU, 240 & 120 rads)
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury @ DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6700 XT Fighter OC/UV
Storage ~4TB SSD + 6TB HDD
Display(s) Acer XV273K 4K120 + Lenovo L32p-30 4K60
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow White
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K
Personally I upgraded from 3600 to a regular 5800X as I play at 4K, so the difference is not THAT huge when compared to X3D. Also 5800X was over 100EUR cheaper than X3D so it offered much better price/performance ratio.

While I wouldn't call it 'a big problem', I can't help but notice more folks around the web *actually using* their CPU's warranty.
By my observations: These last few generations of CPU (from both Blue and Red) have had a higher defect-rate.
My 5600 for example, ended up w/ a bad core.

Since you've already gone through and documented so much, I'd bet AMD would honor a warranty replacement (assuming, you bought new)
I mean i could try again but at this point i just feel exhausted. Personally i'm always very careful when it comes to building a new system so it takes me pretty long to set up a nice cable management and building the system. And i did so twice just to then spend the rest of the day troubleshooting, reinstalling drivers, bios updates, reinstalling windows etc. It was just a very frustrating experience. I mean i did so twice, with 2 different systems. Also my Money was all over the place (since i ordered from different sellers) for 2 weeks. I'm glad i had really cool stores that replaced everything within a few days. But boy was that annoying. I envy my friend at this point. He would just slam a 5800X3D into his dusty old system and everything just works...

I don't say this is a general issue with the socket... but my trust in this socket has been shattered at this point. I now will "accept" that my IGPU seems to be "destroyed" and just run the CPU with my now arrived GPU which seems to work fine. Y-Cruncher/Memtest/Prime everything has been stable so far. I wish i would have get the 7500F instead.. that way i would have avoided that foul taste since it doesn't have a IGPU.

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
I mean i could try again but at this point i just feel exhausted. Personally i'm always very careful when it comes to building a new system so it takes me pretty long to set up a nice cable management and building the system. And i did so twice just to then spend the rest of the day troubleshooting, reinstalling drivers, bios updates, reinstalling windows etc. It was just a very frustrating experience. I mean i did so twice, with 2 different systems. Also my Money was all over the place (since i ordered from different sellers) for 2 weeks. I'm glad i had really cool stores that replaced everything within a few days. But boy was that annoying. I envy my friend at this point. He would just slam a 5800X3D into his dusty old system and everything just works...

I don't say this is a general issue with the socket... but my trust in this socket has been shattered at this point. I now will "accept" that my IGPU seems to be "destroyed" and just run the CPU with my now arrived GPU which seems to work fine. Y-Cruncher/Memtest/Prime everything has been stable so far. I wish i would have get the 7500F instead.. that way i would have avoided that foul taste since it doesn't have a IGPU.
If your iGPU is actually dead, return it and grab a 7800X3D, or an Intel system. I understand your frustration, but don't let AMD get away with selling you a faulty product.

AMD EXPO auto settings was well known to cause issues early in the life of AM5, to the point of physical destruction of chips. I wouldn't be too surprised if it destroyed your iGPU, despite not hearing anything like this before.

I've had something from each generation of Ryzen, but the current one. The 1700x, the 2700x, the 3600x and 3700x, and the 5600x/5700x. 1->2 gave us stability. 2->3 gave us memory stability. 3->5 gave us performance consistency. This is the high level view...but from where I'm sitting the transition from 5->7 offers us...bigger numbers at the expense of high thermal throttling and some very bumpy initial launch issues with the first new socket in a long time.

My opinion...and it is only that...is that you stay on current platform and current CPU. You don't spend a penny on anything, and you let things ride through the current generation. The 5600x is only a bad option if you're playing things that are highly dependent on latency and hate Ryzen's architecture...so competitive FPS games and old games that don't use more than one thread. Otherwise, the 5600x should do you just fine.

Note that DDR5 is the newest tech. As usual, it's not a lot better than the old. It's coming down in price to being affordable...and it's something to recommend if you were 3-4 generations behind what is current and it'd be reasonable to punch up your entire build. You've got a B550 board and a 5600 processor...so it's the end of AM4's upgrade path. That said, AM5 isn't burning up the world and rewriting performance in any way that would justify the several hundred dollars to upgrade. Likewise, a few hundred dollars to jump from the 5600 to a 5700x3d is just not reasonable. You will see some improvement (just going from 5600x systems to 5700x does)...but for that kind of money it just isn't justifiable.

Same mobo, same 5700x, 3070 and 3080. I was seeing minor 2k performance differences...but when sat next to one another they were almost indistinguishable despite a few hundred dollars difference in the GPUs. Experimented with the 5600x and 3070...and the differences in benchmarks for the two systems did diverge enough to have the numbers mean something...but only with all the bells and whistles. I did see the 5600x and 3070 have some issues with gaming on one 2k monitor and running a second one...but that's likely a function of having too much for that setup with 4k worth of pixels and enough threads required to justify that extra core pair for the 5700x. That said, I'm not looking to upgrade from a 5600x and 3070 pairing any time soon. I know my benchmarks can improve...but a couple hundred dollars to go from 144 Hz to 165 Hz refresh just isn't as valuable as the several new games those same dollars would purchase...or the dozens they'd purchase if I wait for a sale.

AMD EXPO auto settings was well known to cause issues early in the life of AM5, to the point of physical destruction of chips. I wouldn't be too surprised if it destroyed your iGPU, despite not hearing anything like this before.
I mean it's difficult: How many people are using R7000 CPUS? How many of them would use their IGPU instead of a dedicated GPU (i wouldn't have noticed the problem if my GPU would have arrived at the same day) and how many of them are using Expo? I mean honestly, i don't know.
I googled a lot and found a lot of people claiming issues with their Ryzen 7000 igpu.
But most of them also don't provide context. And of course people who messed up or just got a bad CPU will seek help online. So it's impossible to tell if it is just "bad luck" or a real issue. But personally i can't help i'm kinda suspicious at this point since i found a lot of posts on reddit or the amd forum from people who discribed the very same issue i was suffering from.
For example on my first System it was enough to just disable Hardware Acceleration on Chrome/Edge/Firefox to get the IGPU kinda stable. But i could tell this wasn't "normal" in terms of a "driver issue" since it happend way too often.. like every 2 Minutes as soon as you would enable HW-Acceleration in Chrome/Edge/Firefox and with every driver i tried.
On my second System the driver resets already would occur right after booting into Windows. And keep in mind. It worked for like 2 hours without issues. The issues started right after enabling Expo for about 10 Minutes. After that i wasn't be able to boot Windows without having driver resets anymore. In the end i would get driver resets so frequently that Windows would just disable the driver. When i then tried booting from a Linux-Disk i would get so many Blackscreens that i pretty much couldn't do anything.
Though i think you're right i should't accept it. I mean i still have my b550 Board. I might just again send back the 7600x and just upgrade to a 5800X3D instead. In the end this would save me a bit of money (no need for DDR5, Mainboard) and the 5800X3D seems to be a bit faster too.

Last edited:

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
I mean it's difficult: How many people are using R7000 CPUS? How many of them would use their IGPU instead of a dedicated GPU (i wouldn't have noticed the problem if my GPU would have arrived at the same day) and how many of them are using Expo? I mean honestly, i don't know.
I googled a lot and found a lot of people claiming issues with their Ryzen 7000 igpu.
But most of them also don't provide context. And of course people who messed up or just got a bad CPU will seek help online. So it's impossible to tell if it is just "bad luck" or a real issue. But personally i can't help i'm kinda suspicious at this point since i found a lot of posts on reddit or the amd forum from people who discribed the very same issue i was suffering from.
For example on my first System it was enough to just disable Hardware Acceleration on Chrome/Edge/Firefox to get the IGPU kinda stable. But i could tell this wasn't "normal" in terms of a "driver issue" since it happend way too often.. like every 2 Minutes as soon as you would enable HW-Acceleration in Chrome/Edge/Firefox and with every driver i tried.
On my second System the driver resets already would occur right after booting into Windows. And keep in mind. It worked for like 2 hours without issues. The issues started right after enabling Expo for about 10 Minutes. After that i wasn't be able to boot Windows without having driver resets anymore. In the end i would get driver resets so frequently that Windows would just disable the driver. When i then tried booting from a Linux-Disk i would get so many Blackscreens that i pretty much couldn't do anything. aswell
Though i think you're right i should't accept it. I mean i still have my b550 Board. I might just again send back the 7600x and just upgrade to a 5800X3D instead. In the end this would save me a bit of money (no need for DDR5, Mainboard) and the 5800X3D seems to be a bit faster too.
5800X3D is a great chip and literally as fast as a 7600X anyway in gaming.

It's about 1% slower paired with an RTX 4090.

If you're not going 7800X3D I don't really see the point of AM5, the rest of the chips are either not that fast (7600X), slower than competing cheaper Intel options (7950X), two 7600X bolted together (7900X) or slower than 7800X3D and 7950X in gaming and productivity (7950X3D).

As you said DDR5 isn't much of an upgrade over DDR4 except in raw bandwidth, latency is similar or worse. And AM5 mobos are nice but expensive. The differentiating features like PCIe 5 etc aren't relevant yet, and the EXPO/AGESA issues are significant. At least AGESA is supposed to be being replaced in the next year or two.

You won't be missing much not having an AMD iGPU IMO, the Intel ones are nice for quicksync if you stream, but even then the main draw is simply redundancy if you have an issue with discrete GPU.

Plus platform system total idle power draw is much lower on AM4/5800X3D, to the tune of ~30-40 W.

Some people have to learn the hard way. I recommended the 5700X3D for good reasons. Spending more on the 5800X3D isn't the best bang for buck option, but it's cheaper than the platform upgrade. There's still no reason to spend extra but it's your money spend it how you want. Also as you have discovered, AM5 can be finicky. Most builders seem to have no trouble, but you are far from the first I've seen have a bad time with it. Besides, most games are console ports so the AM4 3Ds will be able to provide good gaming performance for years to come.

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Processor 7800X3D┃5800X3D
Motherboard B650E PG-ITX┃X570 Impact
Cooling NH-U12A + T30┃AXP120-x67
Memory 64GB 6000CL30┃32GB 3600CL14
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Ti Eagle┃RTX A2000
Storage 8TB of SSDs┃1TB SN550
Case Caselabs S3┃Lazer3D HT5
On my second System the driver resets already would occur right after booting into Windows. And keep in mind. It worked for like 2 hours without issues. The issues started right after enabling Expo for about 10 Minutes. After that i wasn't be able to boot Windows without having driver resets anymore. In the end i would get driver resets so frequently that Windows would just disable the driver. When i then tried booting from a Linux-Disk i would get so many Blackscreens that i pretty much couldn't do anything.

Did you have another DDR5 kit on hand? All this still sounds like RAM issues. That or you unfortunately drew the short straw on the CPU, which happens from time to time with AMD QC.

Don't be fooled by EXPO, it's just XMP with an extra step or two. Uncore side voltages are still up to the board to decide, and XMP never comes with a guarantee of stability, it's always up to the user to memtest properly.

I use the iGPU every day for output to a second monitor. Not much to write home about or issues to note - it plays well with GeForce as long as you have the minimal possible Radeon driver install, and hybrid graphics just works. The one thing I can say for sure is that the occasional iGPU flickering at high memory speeds is definitely still a thing, and doesn't really have a solution at the moment.

EXPO or not, if RAM is egregiously unstable then you only get a few tries tops to get into Windows before your install is damaged beyond repair. Do it enough times and you might have to reflash your current BIOS as well.

Did you have another DDR5 kit on hand?
Yup i also tried different Ram and i tried each Ram Bar separately. I know that XMP or Expo isn't guaranteed to work. But that's not the Issue. The Issue is that after i used Expo the IGPU isn't stable anymore no matter what i do. Cmos clear, Loading defaults, running stock, updating uefi has no effect. Replacing ram had no effect, trying each ram separately didn't help. It was the exact same behavior twice: Asus B650 Tuf/ R5 7600x and a Asrock B650 Rs Pro/ R5 7600x (different CPU). Tested with Patriot and Gskill ram. Both finished Memtest just fine.. even with Expo. Igpu is where the trouble starts. As i said there might be a chance that i got 2 bad CPUs in a row.. i have no clue never experienced something like this ever.

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
Did you have another DDR5 kit on hand? All this still sounds like RAM issues. That or you unfortunately drew the short straw on the CPU, which happens from time to time with AMD QC.

Don't be fooled by EXPO, it's just XMP with an extra step or two. Uncore side voltages are still up to the board to decide, and XMP never comes with a guarantee of stability, it's always up to the user to memtest properly.

I use the iGPU every day for output to a second monitor. Not much to write home about or issues to note - it plays well with GeForce as long as you have the minimal possible Radeon driver install, and hybrid graphics just works. The one thing I can say for sure is that the occasional iGPU flickering at high memory speeds is definitely still a thing, and doesn't really have a solution at the moment.

EXPO or not, if RAM is egregiously unstable then you only get a few tries tops to get into Windows before your install is damaged beyond repair. Do it enough times and you might have to reflash your current BIOS as well.
This is pretty much true, AMD optimised RAM settings, but AFAIK board settings are guided by AGESA, which has had many issues with setting some voltages too high in the pursuit of stability. I would not be surprised if EXPO instigated excess board/AGESA voltages could push an iGPU over the edge. That's essentially what happened with the EXPO burning chip debacle. It wasn't the RAM voltages that directly caused issues, it was the IMC and similar voltages within the CPU that need to be and are automatically closely paired with RAM voltages, being too high to the point of physical damage.

Or the OP just got unlucky twice and had a faulty iGPU from the factory, and EXPO just pushed it past the edge, as you mentioned.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS Prime X470-Pro
Cooling bequiet! Dark Rock Slim
Memory 64 GB ECC DDR4 2666 MHz (Samsung M391A2K43BB1-CTD)
Video Card(s) eVGA GTX 1080 SC Gaming, 8 GB
Storage 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1 TB Samsung 850 EVO, 4 TB Lexar NM790, 12 TB WD HDDs
Display(s) Acer Predator XB271HU
Case Corsair Obsidian 550D
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty
Power Supply Seasonic X-Series 560W
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Glorious GMMK
Sorely tempted to upgrade my 3800X to a 5800X or better, for the sole reason that many 5000 series CPUs are dirt cheap at the moment and I wouldn't have to upgrade the rest of the eco system (motherboard and RAM). Since I *require* ECC RAM that would probably make a complete upgrade even more expensive.

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
Sorely tempted to upgrade my 3800X to a 5800X or better, for the sole reason that many 5000 series CPUs are dirt cheap at the moment and I wouldn't have to upgrade the rest of the eco system (motherboard and RAM). Since I *require* ECC RAM that would probably make a complete upgrade even more expensive.
Considered X3D instead?

Storage 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1 TB Samsung 850 EVO, 4 TB Lexar NM790, 12 TB WD HDDs
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Glorious GMMK
Considered X3D instead?
That's where the "or better" comes in. :) The 5800X (or perhaps the 5700X) is the lowest I would go. Both of these can be had for a steal at the moment. Even the 5950X can be had for a bit less than I paid for my 3800X back in early 2020. I'm mainly using my PC for work, so it's not simply a question of gaming performance. Otherwise X3D would be at the top of my list.

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
That's where the "or better" comes in. :) The 5800X (or perhaps the 5700X) is the lowest I would go. Both of these can be had for a steal at the moment. Even the 5950X can be had for a bit less than I paid for my 3800X back in early 2020. I'm mainly using my PC for work, so it's not simply a question of gaming performance. Otherwise X3D would be at the top of my list.
I had a 5950X, a 3700X, and a 5800X3D, X3D was my favorite of the three, and I don't only game either.

System Name Not a thread ripper but pretty good.
Processor Ryzen 9 5950x
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi (revision 1.06, BIOS/UEFI version P5.50)
Cooling EK-Quantum Velocity, EK-Quantum Reflection PC-O11, EK-CoolStream PE 360, XSPC TX360
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 ECC Unbuffered Memory (4 sticks, 128GB, 18ASF4G72AZ-3G2F1)
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 5700 & EK-Quantum Vector Radeon RX 5700 +XT & Backplate
Storage Samsung 2TB 980 PRO 2TB Gen4x4 NVMe, 2 x Samsung 2TB 970 EVO Plus Gen3x4 NVMe
Display(s) 2 x 4K LG 27UL600-W (and HUANUO Dual Monitor Mount)
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic Black (original model)
Power Supply Corsair RM750x
Mouse Logitech M575
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2
Software Windows 10 Professional (64bit)
Benchmark Scores Typical for non-overclocked CPU.
5950x is a great upgrade from 3800x if you can use the cores.

Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Glorious GMMK
Still contemplating upgrading my CPU. Especially now after the quake in Taiwan. Right now, the local price for a 5800X3D and a 5900X is about the same (around DKK 2200). The 5700X3D is a bit cheaper (around DKK 2000), while the regular 5800X can be had for around DKK 1500. Which would be the "best value" pairing with that RTX4080 I still have sitting unopened? The rest of the system will be unchanged, except for the PSU.

I did consider a platform upgrade to AM5, but it's simply too expensive for me at the moment.