• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Upgrading Office Computer. How Do I Keep My Software?

System Name AM5
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard Asrock X670E Taichi
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600 64 Gb - XMP1 Profile
Video Card(s) AMD Reference 7900 XTX 24 Gb
Storage Samsung Gen 4 980 1 TB / Samsung 8TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung 34" 240hz 4K
Case Fractal Define R7
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME PX-1300, 1300W 80+ Platinum, Full Modular
Hey all,

Currently I have a very out dated office computer and it needs to be upgraded. However, my problem is that all of the software and files are extremely important. For most of the software, I don't have the CDs or install files for them any longer. This is primarily due to the length that I have had the computer.

So my question to anyone who can help is this, how can I transfer everything on my old computers harddrive (including the software) to my new upgraded computer?

Would it be possible that I could just remove the harddrive from the current computer and place it as a secondary harddrive in my new one. The only problem I could see is that windows xp pro is installed on the old harddrive.

:confused:

System Name Senile
Processor I7-4790K@4.8 GHz 24/7
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10
If you have any data on the hard drive, back that up FIRST!

Does the new computer have a hard drive with OS installed (like Win 7)? For the majority of programs out there, there is no way to "move" programs from one drive to another, you'll need to install from scratch. One option is to install the new OS over the XP drive install (upgrade path)... it'll typically keep the previous programs intact but it completely depends on what you are upgrading to from XP.

And yes, you should be able to put the old harddrive as a secondary in the new computer, but that's not going to help with the programs. Also make sure you're data files are in a location that is not user-logon dependant in XP like "My Documents" that's tied to a specific logon. Note that also depends on the priveledges you have on the old XP machine.

System Name GLaDOS
Processor AMD FX-9590 X8 4.7GHz
Motherboard ASUS Sabertooth 990FX
Cooling Corsair H80i v2
Memory Corsair Vengeance 24GB (2x8GB, 2x4GB) DDR3 1600 MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG-STRIX-RX580-O8G-GAMINGOC
Storage WD Blue 3D NAND 1TB Internal PC SSD
Display(s) 2 Acer S231HL 23" LED backlit LCD's on a Dual LCD stand
Case Corsair iCUE 220T RGB Airflow
Audio Device(s) Onboard - Corsair Void Pro Wireless
Power Supply Corsair 850HXi 850W
Mouse Corsair Sabre RGB
Keyboard Corsair K70 LUX RGB
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
You'll need the disks for the software. So you have two legal options which are.... Find your disks, or borrow a friends disk and use your CD key when installing the software.