• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Upgrading/replacing motherboard

Hopalong

Hey all. Stupidly I know, I bought an HP from Bestbuy about a year ago, mainly for my wife. Now I'm gettin a BIOS rom checksum error. Now, thanks to the great 'ol HP, and bestbuy who doesn't carry system disks as HP won't allow them to, I'm stuck with a busted HP. I've already tried replacing the BIOS, tried replacing the memory, still nothing. HP won't give me a System disk despite repeaded calls, emails, etc. So I figure I'll just replace the motherboard. Just need a bit of help though. I've found a motherboard that'll fit all of my hardware, and my processor. Will I have to put on a new OS though? A friend of mine told me I would, but I wouldn't think so as the OS is held on the Harddrive. I figure new MB and just switch over all my internal's will fix the problem, and for a heck of a lot cheaper than what HP want's me to pay. Anyone think that's a good idea? Comments, suggestions, etc. PLEASE.

kwchang007

Processor C2D T7200@2 ghz vcore: .9875
Motherboard generic laptop board
Cooling fan control and antec notebook cooler
Memory 2 GBs@ 533 mhz ddr2
Video Card(s) x1400 mobile, overclocked: 526mhz core/ 882mhz ddr
Storage 120 GB@ 5400 rpm fujitsu
Display(s) 15.4" 1440x900
Audio Device(s) integrated
Software vista 32 bit home premium
probably not to bad of an idea. you may want to double check everything and make sure it is the motheboard, so you don't buy a new motherboard and get a find out something is broken. and are you going to be using the hp case? if so, make sure you motherboard is the standard the case is (btx or atx)

Processor AMD Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550M Mortar WiFi
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB Platinum SE 240mm
Memory 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 3600MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Vega 64 8GB
Storage Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB / ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB / Crucial MX500 1TB
Display(s) Dell U2715
Case Corsair 280X
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Razer DeathAdder Chroma
Keyboard Ducky One2 Horizon
Software Windows 10 Professional
Benchmark Scores Cinemark r23 Multicore: 22280
it can be done but you gotta make sure you do a few things...

the os may be held on the hard drive but it is set to work with the current hardware... if you change the mobo you'll need to make sure to set the drivers in windows to the windows generic drivers...

if your using vista (don't expect so considering you said you bought it a year ago) you won't be able to chnage without a new os as vista considers a mobo change a new computer and won't work...

xp however doesn't really care...

Personally though I would advise a reinstall of your os as this will avoid a lot of problems along the way :)

CH@NO

System Name Thank God you're back!!!
Processor Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.1GHz (stock)
Motherboard ECS H67H2-M3
Cooling Stock + 1 X 80mm Thermaltake red LED
Memory 1 X 4 GB Kingston 1333MHz DDR3
Video Card(s) coming soon
Storage 1TB Seagate SATAII + 500GB Hitachi USB (External)
Display(s) Samsung 20" LED Widescreen
Case coming soon
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek HD 6ch Audio
Power Supply Generic 450W with 20A on the 12v+ rail
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores coming soon
Hi.

You already try to resetting the BIOS, or what message the system send you?.........if you already think to buy a new mobo you MUST install a fresh SO, to avoid driver problems and other things that in the end make you reinstall the SO anyway.

If you dont like te idea 'cause you dont have a place to make a backup of all your data, try to run your old SO in the new mobo, and if it runs make a back-up, if not try to find another PC, make your HDD slave and backup all your data there.

But first CHECK all the board and all its connections, clean it, reset the BIOS and discard any ways to fix it....if the problem still, then throw it, slam it into the floor and install the new one.