• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

UPS for my setup.

• Thread starter Deleted member 205776
  • Start date
System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Why would I buy a high wattage dedicated UPS for a regular inkjet printer?
:( Please follow the chronological order of the posts.

You didn't tell us you have an Inkjet until AFTER I recommended a separate high wattage UPS for the printer - because at that time, for all we knew, you could have had a laser.

And because you keep talking about having your printer on the UPS. So you don't need a high wattage but if you must have print capability during a power outage, then a separate UPS would be good - considering your other hardware too.

System Name Main
Processor R7 5950x
Motherboard MSI x570S Unify-X Max
Cooling D5 clone, 280 rad, two F14 + three F12S bottom/intake, two P14S + F14S (Rad) + two F14 (top)
Memory 2x8 GB Corsair Vengeance bdie 3600@CL16 1.35v
Video Card(s) GB 2080S WaterForce WB
Storage six M.2 pcie gen 4
Display(s) Sony 50X90J
Case Tt Level 20 HT
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar AE, modded Sennheiser HD 558, Klipsch 2.1 THX
Power Supply Corsair RMx 750w
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard GSKILL Ripjaws
VR HMD NA
Software win 10 pro x64
Benchmark Scores TimeSpy score Fire Strike Ultra SuperPosition CB20
You dont want to plug in any printers to the ups, not like that task cant wait until power is back up.

most decent UPS will have outlet "tester" build in (led on back), that shows if there is outlet "trouble".

CP is a good brand, but comparing it to the APC i would get that one.
Outside the LCD making a high pitched sound while its powered on (to check things)
its a tick better than the CP equivalent.

make sure to connect the usb/data cable to the pc, this will make it act like a laptop,
showing the battery icon in tray, and you can use that to setup what happens if it is on battery.
i would set low battery to about 90%, critical to like 85%, and select to shut down (not hibernate).
this will make sure it will shot down, in case your not around when power goes out.
i also use it to set up 2 different profiles, power savings with max cpu perf limited to 50%
(thus capping clocks, reducing power need and temps), and balanced (30% min, 100% max cpu perf) for gaming/encoding etc,
make sure to turn off usb/pcie power savings completely, not needed on desktop.

i recommend changing the sensitivity for the UPS to the smallest band available,
to make sure it catches even small fluctuations (most common next to brown outs).

D

Deleted member 205776

You dont want to plug in any printers to the ups, not like that task cant wait until power is back up.

most decent UPS will have outlet "tester" build in (led on back), that shows if there is outlet "trouble".

CP is a good brand, but comparing it to the APC i would get that one.
Outside the LCD making a high pitched sound while its powered on (to check things)
its a tick better than the CP equivalent.

make sure to connect the usb/data cable to the pc, this will make it act like a laptop,
showing the battery icon in tray, and you can use that to setup what happens if it is on battery.
i would set low battery to about 90%, critical to like 85%, and select to shut down (not hibernate).
this will make sure it will shot down, in case your not around when power goes out.
i also use it to set up 2 different profiles, power savings with max cpu perf limited to 50%
(thus capping clocks, reducing power need and temps), and balanced (30% min, 100% max cpu perf) for gaming/encoding etc,
make sure to turn off usb/pcie power savings completely, not needed on desktop.

i recommend changing the sensitivity for the UPS to the smallest band available,
to make sure it catches even small fluctuations (most common next to brown outs).
Too late, already bought the CyberPower. Most if not all APCs I've looked at weren't in stock.

Will do the rest.

And because you keep talking about having your printer on the UPS.
That's so I don't need to have a separate power strip for a single printer when I could just plug it into the UPS. I don't use my printer all the time, but I'd rather have it into the UPS as well rather than its own dedicated strip. But if it really requires its own power strip, I'll do it.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
You can just plug the printer into the surge (not battery) side of the UPS.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
That's the problem. Sent a pic in page 2. Both sides are labelled Battery + Surge. Unless I'm missing something.
Sorry - I forgot yours is the UK model and all 6 outlets are on the battery side.

While I am not a fan of surge and spike protectors, they certainly are better than nothing and do offer protection from most high-voltage anomalies. Plus, they are inexpensive. Just remember, they actually wear out with normal use and don't last forever. And sadly, there's no way to determine if still good. That's why it is commonly recommended to replace surge and spike protectors every two years.

System Name Ryzen 2023
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700
Motherboard Asrock B650E Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory G Skill Flare X5 2x16gb cl32@6000 MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 6950 XT Nitro + gaming Oc
Storage WESTERN DIGITAL 1TB 64MB 7k SATA600 Blue WD10EZEX, WD Black SN850X 1Tb nvme
Display(s) LG 27GP850P-B
Case Corsair 5000D airflow tempered glass
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-850W
Mouse A4Tech V7M bloody
Keyboard Genius KB-G255
Software Windows 10 64bit
Did you not get a manual with it. Based on the Pic I believe that all six are the same.

This is what I found on google
Many CyberPower UPS units have two sets of outlets. One set is labeled “Battery/Surge” and one set is labeled “Surge”. The outlets labeled “Battery/Surge” are the outlets that will receive battery power during a power failure.

D

Deleted member 205776

Did you not get a manual with it. Based on the Pic I believe that all six are the same.

This is what I found on google
Many CyberPower UPS units have two sets of outlets. One set is labeled “Battery/Surge” and one set is labeled “Surge”. The outlets labeled “Battery/Surge” are the outlets that will receive battery power during a power failure.
Hasn't arrived yet.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
You can download it from here. According to yours, the 900VA model has 3 battery and 3 surge-only. But on the 1500VA model, all 6 are on the battery side.

D

Deleted member 205776

Update.

UPS, wall outlet tester, and my Ion+ 860P PSU (the same one I sent) all arrived.

Tested every outlet in my house with the tester. All are wired correctly. Told an electrician to verify my wiring, everything is fine on that end too.

Plugged in the UPS into AC power, then let it charge for a bit as I tested the Ion+ on the same outlet used by my PC.

Guess what? It still has coil whine. It was plugged directly into the wall this time, same noise. Tried a different outlet, same noise. Tried a different room, same noise.
Tried to plug it into the UPS, same noise but noticeably quieter.

At this point, it is a defective PSU so I will get in contact with my retailer and demand a replacement.

Now as for the UPS, everything seems to be working well, I have my printer, two monitors, and tower plugged in:

20210216_181108.jpg

20210216_181113.jpg

Set the voltage on High sensitivity, did a self test which passed (but also took down my battery level by 40% lol -- UPS came with the battery fully charged). Set Windows to shut down the PC safely at 80% UPS battery level.

Tested the switch-over to battery power by unplugging the UPS with a browser open, all is well, beeped twice to let me know.

Seems to handle gaming just fine, and somehow, my entire setup only draws 380W while gaming with my 3070 at 230W power draw and my 3900X at 95W. That means I will have no problem with a 3080 level TDP GPU.

No weird smell, only a bit of noise when it starts charging then it stops. Really liking this thing.

Hopefully the replacement PSU doesn't make those noises and I can get this over with. I will once again test it the same way I tested it now. If it makes noises at idle, no point testing it under load.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Guess what? It still has coil whine.

No surprise there. I was afraid as such, as I noted from the start in my first post.

I just hope the PSU maker or retailer helps you out.

I do note this is the first time is the 3 pages of this thread you described the noise as "coil whine". You previously described it as "crackling noises", which is quite different from coil whine. Coil whine typically sounds like a high pitch squeak or whistle which may or may change in pitch as the load changes.

Crackling noises tend to sound like clicks and pops.

Coil whine technically comes from inductors, where wires wrap around a magnetic device and the wires vibrate and make the noise. The noise can often be silenced with epoxy glue or hot glue on the wire windings, stopping them from vibrating against each other. Transformer plates can do the same thing - though that is often described as a buzzing sound.

Keep us posted.

D

Deleted member 205776

No surprise there. I was afraid as such, as I noted from the start in my first post.

I just hope the PSU maker or retailer helps you out.

I do note this is the first time is the 3 pages of this thread you described the noise as "coil whine". You previously described it as "crackling noises", which is quite different from coil whine. Coil whine typically sounds like a high pitch squeak or whistle which may or may change in pitch as the load changes.

Crackling noises tend to sound like clicks and pops.

Coil whine technically comes from inductors, where wires wrap around a magnetic device and the wires vibrate and make the noise. The noise can often be silenced with epoxy glue or hot glue on the wire windings, stopping them from vibrating against each other. Transformer plates can do the same thing - though that is often described as a buzzing sound.

Keep us posted.
It sounded exactly like my GPU when under load. Buzzing. The 'crackling' noises disappeared when plugged into the wall or the UPS, but the buzzing, which I refer to as coil whine, was still there.

I hope it's a defective unit and that the replacement is good, cuz otherwise I'm out of ideas.

Last edited by a moderator:

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Processor 7800X3D┃5800X3D
Motherboard B650E PG-ITX┃X570 Impact
Cooling NH-U12A + T30┃AXP120-x67
Memory 64GB 6000CL30┃32GB 3600CL14
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Ti Eagle┃RTX A2000
Storage 8TB of SSDs┃1TB SN550
Display(s) 43" QN90B / 32" M32Q / 27" S2721DGF
Case Caselabs S3┃Lazer3D HT5
You usually won't have the "nasty plastic smell". If you make a mistake like I did and leave the UPS sustaining the PC (at idle, but still, Ryzen "idle") for over an hour during an outage, the room may smell like burnt plastic when you come back and take a couple days to go away. But that's something you never want to do, and probably never will.

So don't be like me. Now that you have a UPS, just turn your PC off when you leave the house, or at least put it into Sleep. You can set whatever "turn off after x minutes" timer, but I've had so many instances of Windows getting indefinitely stuck on some godforsaken program on shutdown that I don't trust any software or OS to shut down on its own.

And yes, buzzing is usually coil whine.

System Name Ghetto Rigs z490|x99|Acer 17 Nitro 7840hs/ 5600c40-2x16/ 4060/ 1tb acer stock m.2/ 4tb sn850x
Processor 10900k w/Optimus Foundation | 5930k w/Black Noctua D15
Motherboard z490 Maximus XII Apex | x99 Sabertooth
Cooling oCool D5 res-combo/280 GTX/ Optimus Foundation/ gpu water block | Blk D15
Memory Trident-Z Royal 4000c16 2x16gb | Trident-Z 3200c14 4x8gb
Video Card(s) Titan Xp-water | evga 980ti gaming-w/ air
Storage 970evo+500gb & sn850x 4tb | 860 pro 256gb | Acer m.2 1tb/ sn850x 4tb| Many2.5" sata's ssd 3.5hdd's
Display(s) 1-AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz/ 2nd 1-ASUS VG248QE 24"/ 3rd LG 43" series
Case D450 | Cherry Entertainment center on Test bench
Audio Device(s) Built in Realtek x2 with 2-Insignia 2.0 sound bars & 1-LG sound bar
Power Supply EVGA 1000P2 with APC AX1500 | 850P2 with CyberPower-GX1325U
Mouse Redragon 901 Perdition x3
Keyboard G710+x3
Software Win-7 pro x3 and win-10 & 11pro x3
Benchmark Scores Are in the benchmark section
Hi,
Well you've done everything possible to rule out local issue now for rma.
Besides having an electrician checking everything out I wouldn't say much about any wire changing there is such a thing as giving too much info lol ;)

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I hope it's a defective unit and that the replacement is good, cuz otherwise I'm out of ideas.
Well, if you get the exact same buzz/whine with a different PSU, then I would suspect it was not the PSU after all. Perhaps spending some time with a paper towel tube to your ear, using it like a stethoscope, may be necessary to pinpoint the source of the sound. Sadly, cavernous metal cases are great at reverberating sounds and vibrations throughout, making the sound seem to come from places it is not.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.

If I may, spending most of my professional life also maintaining infrastructure, don't put printers on UPSs

D

Deleted member 205776

If I may, spending most of my professional life also maintaining infrastructure, don't put printers on UPSs
Why not?

Also how do I re-enable the UPS battery icon? Seemed to just disappear after performing the self test. Edit: Nevermind, looks like CyberPower's software took over.

Well, if you get the exact same buzz/whine with a different PSU, then I would suspect it was not the PSU after all. Perhaps spending some time with a paper towel tube to your ear, using it like a stethoscope, may be necessary to pinpoint the source of the sound. Sadly, cavernous metal cases are great at reverberating sounds and vibrations throughout, making the sound seem to come from places it is not.
I listened to the PSU and PSU only on my test bench. It is clearly coming from the PSU. No other noise in the room apart from an AMD stock cooler which sounds wholly different.

Processor Intel i9 9900K @5Ghz
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Formula XI
Cooling Noctua Chromax NHD-15
Memory 64GB DDR4 Trident-Z @3800Mhz CL16-20-20-40
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix 3090 OC 24GB
Storage Intel Optane 905P 960GB NVMe, 2 x Samsung 970 EVO 2TB NVMe
Display(s) LG 48" CX OLED 4K VRR HDR 120Hz, LG 43" IPS 4K 60Hz secondary
Case Cooler Master C700M
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster X Katana
Power Supply Asus ROG THOR 1200W
Mouse Asus Gladius II Origin
Keyboard Corsair K95
Don't put LASER printers on UPSs (unless it's a really big UPS).
UPSs have a maximum power load. If the protected equipment draws more current than the UPS can provide, the UPS will automatically shut itself off and/or the UPS circuit breaker might trip.

I actually have a laser printer connected to an APC SmartUPS, but the UPS is a big (50Kg!) 2200VA APC unit (1980W). Idle the printer consumes next to nothing, but the very instant you tell it to print something it **instantly** peaks to 1,200W (or more). This is the problem with laser printers.

In my particular case the UPS is able to sustain a load of up to 1980W, so 1200W is not really a problem. A smaller UPS, on the other hand...

D

Deleted member 205776

Don't put LASER printers on UPSs (unless it's a really big UPS).

UPSs have a maximum power load. If the protected equipment draws more current than the UPS can provide, the UPS will automatically shut itself off and/or the UPS circuit breaker might trip.

I actually have a laser printer connected to an APC SmartUPS, but the UPS is a big (50Kg!) 2200VA APC unit (1980W). Idle the printer consumes next to nothing, but the very instant you tell it to print something it **instantly** peaks to 1,200W (or more). This is the problem with laser printers.

In my particular case the UPS is able to sustain a load of up to 1980W, so 1200W is not really a problem. A smaller UPS, on the other hand...
It's an Inkjet printer that consumes less than 15w as I've said several times throughout this thread

System Name Main
Processor R7 5950x
Motherboard MSI x570S Unify-X Max
Cooling D5 clone, 280 rad, two F14 + three F12S bottom/intake, two P14S + F14S (Rad) + two F14 (top)
Memory 2x8 GB Corsair Vengeance bdie 3600@CL16 1.35v
Video Card(s) GB 2080S WaterForce WB
Storage six M.2 pcie gen 4
Display(s) Sony 50X90J
Case Tt Level 20 HT
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar AE, modded Sennheiser HD 558, Klipsch 2.1 THX
Power Supply Corsair RMx 750w
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard GSKILL Ripjaws
VR HMD NA
Software win 10 pro x64
Benchmark Scores TimeSpy score Fire Strike Ultra SuperPosition CB20
@Alexa
did you buy a pure sine out unit? this one isnt.
all CP units with that feature have a b/w screen, not a "white/blue" display.
just to make sure you didnt get charged more for less..

View attachment 1519996548_IMG_951427.webp

wattage isnt the issue, the device is, and how it draws power.
lets say you have 500w draw from a pc, hair dryer, portable AC, or anything with a motor, they are different in how they affect power stuff, even if the wattage is the same.

and even if its not an issue, still not sure why you need a printer when their is a power outage (remember, your shutting down the pc anyway),
as nothing you do on a printer cant be done the next day,
so even IF power is out the second you wanna print, you can do just do it later/the next day.
and printers are usually cheaper to replace, so i rather end up with a dead printer (being unprotected), than a "broken" UPS.

switch your output to the narrowest band the UPS has (e.g. 210-230V vs 180-250V, dont remember their range for 220),
to make sure it takes over as soon as their is even the slightest difference.

a UPS is to prevent a pc from crashing during brown/black out, or being able to finish copying files or save a document your working on,
and not to keep running it while power is out.
so set your shutdown for power saving profile higher (90-95% range), unless you have regular brownouts and dont want to be doing boot/shutdown every 2 minutes,
but then this means your replacing the battery more often (lead batteries usually dont like to be discharged, even if its just 10%)..

Last edited:
System Name EventHorizon
Processor Intel® Core™ Processor i9-13900KF 8P/16 + 16E 3.00GHz [Turbo 5.7GHz] 36MB Cache LGA1700
Motherboard ASUS PRIME Z790-P
Cooling CyberpowerPC MasterLiquid Lite 240mm ARGB CPU Liquid Cooler
Memory 32GB (16GBx2) DDR5/6000MHz Dual Channel Memory (KINGSTON FURY BEAST RGB)
Video Card(s) GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB
Storage 2TB WD BLACK SN850X (PCIe Gen4) NVMe M.2 SSD - Seq R/W: Up to 7300/6600 MB/s, Rnd R/W up to 1200/110
Display(s) LG 34''
Case CyberPowerPC HYTE Y60 Dual Chamber Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ Panoramic View Tempered Glass + 2x120mm
Audio Device(s) Asus Strix w/Alan Finote mod for Windows 11
Power Supply High Power 1300W 80+ GOLD Full Modular w/ PCIE 12+4Pins Connector for PCIe 5.0 graphics cards
Mouse Steelseries Rival 600 wired
Keyboard Steelseries Apex 7 TKL red Switch
Software Win 11 Pro
Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
:( I already answered that several times - with multiple post exchanges with you on the topic.

As you were repeatedly told, printers are not mission critical. Even if Inkjet, which do consume little compared to lasers (which therefore should never go on a SOHO class UPS), only in very rare life saving scenarios (if even then) could you not wait for power to return before printing. So for no other reason, it simply wastes battery resources and more importantly it reduces battery run times.

And as we discussed previously, since your particular UPS does not have a Surge protection only side (all 6 outlets are battery protected), you were advised to get a separate, inexpensive surge and spike protector for the printer. This is the better solution - even better than keeping the printer powered off if you decide to go against all advice and plug your printer into the UPS anyway. Why? Because unless you unplug the printer, it is likely in a standby mode, still consuming some power. This is especially true if a multi-function printing device. And if it uses a AC/DC power transformer (wall wart) for a power supply, they consume some power just being plugged in. That's why, even if the device they power are turned off, the wall warts are still a little warm.

So even if the UPS can support the extra load, you are impacting your battery run time. If your UPS is supporting your network devices too, as previously recommended you could significantly reduce the amount of time you have access to the Internet with your other wireless computing devices.

System Name Ryzen 2023
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700
Motherboard Asrock B650E Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory G Skill Flare X5 2x16gb cl32@6000 MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 6950 XT Nitro + gaming Oc
Storage WESTERN DIGITAL 1TB 64MB 7k SATA600 Blue WD10EZEX, WD Black SN850X 1Tb nvme
Display(s) LG 27GP850P-B
Case Corsair 5000D airflow tempered glass
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-850W
Mouse A4Tech V7M bloody
Keyboard Genius KB-G255
Software Windows 10 64bit
This might sound stupid but when sending back the PSU I would record a short video showing that the noise is coming from the actual PSU. Burn it on a disk and send it with the PSU. Just stick the CD on the PSU's box and label it - My PSU issue or something similar. Then they cant say it works fine if you send it with proof.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
This might sound stupid but when sending back the PSU I would record a short video showing that the noise is coming from the actual PSU. Burn it on a disk and send it with the PSU. Just stick the CD on the PSU's box and label it - My PSU issue or something similar. Then they cant say it works fine if you send it with proof.
Here's my problem with this (and it is the same with sound files posted in forum threads). You really cannot tell or verify, from all the background noise in the recording, that any noise coming from the PSU is actually coming from the PSU.

Plus, any recorded sounds rely on the audio electronics and the speakers of listener to be accurately reproduced. And then the background/ambient noise levels of the listening environment matter too.

You really almost need to put the offending PSU in a sound isolating box, along with a decent microphone and record the sound with video in order for the evidence to be undeniable. :(

D

Deleted member 205776

:( I already answered that several times - with multiple post exchanges with you on the topic.

As you were repeatedly told, printers are not mission critical. Even if Inkjet, which do consume little compared to lasers (which therefore should never go on a SOHO class UPS), only in very rare life saving scenarios (if even then) could you not wait for power to return before printing. So for no other reason, it simply wastes battery resources and more importantly it reduces battery run times.

And as we discussed previously, since your particular UPS does not have a Surge protection only side (all 6 outlets are battery protected), you were advised to get a separate, inexpensive surge and spike protector for the printer. This is the better solution - even better than keeping the printer powered off if you decide to go against all advice and plug your printer into the UPS anyway. Why? Because unless you unplug the printer, it is likely in a standby mode, still consuming some power. This is especially true if a multi-function printing device. And if it uses a AC/DC power transformer (wall wart) for a power supply, they consume some power just being plugged in. That's why, even if the device they power are turned off, the wall warts are still a little warm.

So even if the UPS can support the extra load, you are impacting your battery run time. If your UPS is supporting your network devices too, as previously recommended you could significantly reduce the amount of time you have access to the Internet with your other wireless computing devices.
I get it - printers may not be mission critical, and they sure as heck aren't needed 24/7 for my uses - but it's not running 24/7 and I would rather not have a dedicated power strip routed under my desk just for a printer. Also I cannot route my router to the UPS, too far away and it has to be plugged into some special outlets in the wall.

I don't care about the battery. I literally need 10 seconds to shut down my PC in case of a power outage, and I have the PowerPanel software set up so it automatically safely shuts down the PC at 10 minute battery runtime. I didn't buy this UPS to have my PC running during a power outage. I bought it for clean power delivery and additional protection, also to hopefully reduce the noises of my PSU, which I have already noticed less coil whine on my GPU.

Also, I already sent a million videos with the noise. They agreed to replace it.

If the replacement PSU makes the same noise, I'll just live with my CX 650 until it explodes and takes my PC with it.

did you buy a pure sine out unit? this one isnt.
all CP units with that feature have a b/w screen, not a "white/blue" display.
just to make sure you didnt get charged more for less..

This is what I bought, verified with the box and manual. I'm positive it is a Pure Sine Wave unit.

Already set the UPS on high sensitivity.

Might appear blue due to my crappy phone camera, but it is black and white.