• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Upscale 2-channel audio for 5.1 speakers in Windows 10?

itm2

I run Windows 10 on a B450 Aorus Elite motherboard, and am using the on-board Realtek sound card. I also have a 5.1 speaker system (Cambridge Soundworks DTT2200). I'd like to upscale my stereo music so that it plays from all of the speakers. Does anyone know of a way of doing this?

itm2

Thanks for that - I've installed Equaliser APO and following the instructions at that link for configuring it, but can only get stereo playback from the front speakers when I select "5.1" or "5.1 Surround" from the Channel configuration in Equaliser APO. I've posted a question in that thread - hopefully I've missed something simple....

itm2

OK I think I've found an alternative solution. I discovered and installed a Windows app called Realtek Audio Console. If I set the Speaker Configuration in this app to "5.1 Speaker" and turn on the "Speaker Fill" option I get stereo audio routed through all 5.1 channels :0)

AARP41298

If some one else arrives here, like me. FYI i use voicemeter with the 8x8 gain matrix

1672981843799.png

My upscaling method - which took some time in tinkering, tweaking and optimising, has now become much more powerful than simple staightforward 'upscaling' per se as it involves the usage of a few VST plugins, one of which is Halo Upmix by Nugen.
The tools I used are not freely availabe but the end resault to my ear sounds far superior to anything I tried before. It enables total control over systemwide audio at the cost of relatively low and acceptable latency (~11ms) using standard Windows DirectSound (KS) as backend as opposed to something like ASIO or even WASAPI.

Audio interface: NVIDIA HDMI Audio
Audio 'capture' and output software device: Virtual Audio Cable
VST host: Blue Cat's PatchWork
Audio Upscale: Nugen Halo Upmix VST
EQ and MultiBand/MultiChannel dynamic processing: FabFilter Pro-Q 3 VST
Limiters (one on input chain, one at end of output chain for general gear protection): ToneBoosters Barricade VST
Subtle low end saturation enhancement: FabFilter Saturn VST.