• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

V-Sync helps reducing lagging?

Rei

System Name 1 Desktop/2 Laptops/1 Netbook
Processor AMD Athon X2 64/Intel Pentium 997/Intel Pentium 4/Intel Atom
Motherboard EpoX ATX motherboard/Samsung/Toshiba/Lenovo
Cooling Stock
Memory 4 GB/4 GB/2 GB/2 GB
Video Card(s) Asus GeForce GTX 780 Ti/Intel HD Graphics/GeForce 4MX/Intel GMA
Storage 6+ TB Total
Display(s) HP Pavilion 14 Inch 1024x768@60Hz 4:3 Aspect Ratio CRT Monitor
Case None
Audio Device(s) Various
Power Supply Seasonic 500 Watt & VenomRX 500 Watt
Mouse Wayes Iron Man Wireless Mouse
Keyboard Rexus VR2 Wireless Keyboard
Software Win10 & WinXP SP3
Benchmark Scores It sucks...
I have Asus TUF Gaming VG259QM in mind. It has an excellent input lag of 2ms. However, according to rtings.com reviews, it reports that the monitor's input lag @ 60Hz is 36ms. Is 36ms visually noticeable?
That depends on your visual perception. You might notice it & I might not notice it, etc. It's usually above 50ms is where input lag feels sluggish.
Just to make sure, are you sure that it's input lag & not grey-to-grey response time?

System Name Button
Processor Intel Core i5-9600K
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z390-F
Cooling Corsair H100i PRO
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz, CL15, (Red)
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix RX 570 4GB OC version
Storage Sabrent Rocket 1TB PCIe 3.0 x4 M.2 internal SSD
Display(s) BenQ GW2270 (1920x 1080) 60 MHz
Case Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 RGB
Power Supply Corsair RMi 850i
Keyboard Cougar Vantar
That depends on your visual perception. You might notice it & I might not notice it, etc. It's usually above 50ms is where input lag feels sluggish.
Just to make sure, are you sure that it's input lag & not grey-to-grey response time?
Here https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/asus/tuf-gaming-vg259qm

Screenshot_20201128-143046.png
Screenshot_20201128-143046.png

Reactions: Rei

Rei

Cooling Stock
Storage 6+ TB Total
Case None
Audio Device(s) Various
Got it. And that looks to be an excellent monitor indeed. It's cons is negligible for me at least for gaming in my case. Has great pros for gaming too. But that's just me. I casually play video games but not what you would call a gamer.

Since I always caution others to be mindful of their money, make sure to see what others have to say about it. Also check out other reviews too. Here should be some from YouTube (P.S. I haven't watched them yet BTW):

If you are satisfied with the review and/or the opinion of others, then feel free to jump the gun.

System Name Button
Keyboard Cougar Vantar
Got it. And that looks to be an excellent monitor indeed. It's cons is negligible for me at least for gaming in my case. Has great pros for gaming too. But that's just me. I casually play video games but not what you would call a gamer.

Since I always caution others to be mindful of their money, make sure to see what others have to say about it. Also check out other reviews too. Here should be some from YouTube (P.S. I haven't watched them yet BTW):

If you are satisfied with the review and/or the opinion of others, then feel free to jump the gun.
Thanks for giving me the confidence. I guess that 36ms delay might happen when watch dog Legion slows down by so much because of Ultra Ray tracing settings that causes the frame rate to hit the 60 FPS mark. But then, will the input lag 36ms persists when game frame rates drops below 60? Or it actually means the user set the display refresh rate to 60 and also the in game frame rate limiter to 60FPS?

Rei

Cooling Stock
Storage 6+ TB Total
Case None
Audio Device(s) Various
Thanks for giving me the confidence. I guess that 36ms delay might happen when watch dog Legion slows down by so much because of Ultra Ray tracing settings that causes the frame rate to hit the 60 FPS mark. But then, will the input lag 36ms persists when game frame rates drops below 60? Or it actually means the user set the display refresh rate to 60 and also the in game frame rate limiter to 60FPS?
I can't be sure about how a 36ms delay will affect you but here is my own conclusive thought: TVs and consoles normally have nearly 50ms delay with most games hang around 50-60 FPS, yet gamers seems to be fine with it so prolly you could too. I dunno how well this comparison is to PC gaming but it should be around the ballpark. I myself am fine with my fast-paced games not hitting 60 FPS but then again, I don't even know the input lag of my crappy CRT monitor. I don't even know which has the better input lag & response time: A CRT monitor or an IPS LCD monitor. Sorry that my advice can't help much.

System Name Button
Keyboard Cougar Vantar
I can't be sure about how a 36ms delay will affect you but here is my own conclusive thought: TVs and consoles normally have nearly 50ms delay with most games hang around 50-60 FPS, yet gamers seems to be fine with it so prolly you could too. I dunno how well this comparison is to PC gaming but it should be around the ballpark. I myself am fine with my fast-paced games not hitting 60 FPS but then again, I don't even know the input lag of my crappy CRT monitor. I don't even know which has the better input lag & response time: A CRT monitor or an IPS LCD monitor. Sorry that my advice can't help much.
Well you've helped me a lot.

I went down to outlet today, and found a slightly cheaper Asus mon VG259Q. I believe it is a predecessor of VG259QM judging by the M added. It is nearly $120 cheaper than the VG259QM and does only 144Hz rather than the horrendous 280Hz. But for me it's really he "sweet spot" in terms of price.

I just want to know if you have any review info about this one vg259q.

Rei

Cooling Stock
Storage 6+ TB Total
Case None
Audio Device(s) Various
Well you've helped me a lot.

I went down to outlet today, and found a slightly cheaper Asus mon VG259Q. I believe it is a predecessor of VG259QM judging by the M added. It is nearly $120 cheaper than the VG259QM and does only 144Hz rather than the horrendous 280Hz. But for me it's really he "sweet spot" in terms of price.

I just want to know if you have any review info about this one vg259q.
Good for you, mate! Indeed if the cons is only lower refresh rate then that is nothing to fret over, especially with that large gap in price difference. So how much did you get it for?

Once you've gotten your fill of eyecandy, make sure to test it out with both V-Sync/G-Sync/FreeSync on & off. see if you get any form of screen tearing & input lag since you seem to be worried about those. Although from the review (link below), input lag seems to be around 4 ms at 144Hz which is great & with the refresh rate you should be playing at.

As for reviews, I only manage to find one good review from DisplayNinja as other good review sites I know of such as TFTCentral, BlurBusters & RTings doesn't seems to have any review on your specific monitor.

And these are the only well reviewed monitor from YouTube. It isn't much...

System Name Button
Keyboard Cougar Vantar
Good for you, mate! Indeed if the cons is only lower refresh rate then that is nothing to fret over, especially with that large gap in price difference. So how much did you get it for?

Once you've gotten your fill of eyecandy, make sure to test it out with both V-Sync/G-Sync/FreeSync on & off. see if you get any form of screen tearing & input lag since you seem to be worried about those. Although from the review (link below), input lag seems to be around 4 ms at 144Hz which is great & with the refresh rate you should be playing at.

As for reviews, I only manage to find one good review from DisplayNinja as other good review sites I know of such as TFTCentral, BlurBusters & RTings doesn't seems to have any review on your specific monitor.

And these are the only well reviewed monitor from YouTube. It isn't much...

It's really thoughtful of you thanks, really appreciate.

However, I've found a review from GameSpot on another ASUS monitor. It points out for that the overdrive mode of any Asus monitor seem to have an issue . It's a manual switch between 6 different modes. And apparently, different modes suit different games. Are there any other brands which perform this overdrive thing automatically?

Review here https://www.techspot.com/review/1972-asus-tuf-gaming-vg27aq/

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201130-004106.png
    Screenshot_20201130-004106.png
    264.6 KB · Views: 56

Rei

Cooling Stock
Storage 6+ TB Total
Case None
Audio Device(s) Various
It's really thoughtful of you thanks, really appreciate.
Your welcome. Glad to be of help.
However, I've found a review from GameSpot on another ASUS monitor.
That review is from TechSpot BTW, not GameSpot... :laugh: Also they seems to have ripped off their graph & chart from YouTube's Hardware Unboxed channel. Either that, or it's the other way around.
It's a manual switch between 6 different modes. And apparently, different modes suit different games. Are there any other brands which perform this overdrive thing automatically?
I don't think that overdrive is something that can be automatically adjusted as different individuals needs uses different option, & monitors won't know that unless it has deep learning AI inside it. (doubtful... :nutkick:)

It's best that you set Asus's "TraceFree" overdrive in it's default state/mode which is 60. This way, your monitor settings are balanced between overshoot, ghosting, & pixel response time.
It points out for that the overdrive mode of any Asus monitor seem to have an issue .
The issue with overdrive mode pointed out by that review is that TraceFree isn't a great name :kookoo: and it's selection option is also hidden on the second page of one of the monitor's settings panels. That's it. There isn't anything wrong with overdrive within itself.

System Name Button
Keyboard Cougar Vantar
Your welcome. Glad to be of help.

That review is from TechSpot BTW, not GameSpot... :laugh: Also they seems to have ripped off their graph & chart from YouTube's Hardware Unboxed channel. Either that, or it's the other way around.

I don't think that overdrive is something that can be automatically adjusted as different individuals needs uses different option, & monitors won't know that unless it has deep learning AI inside it. (doubtful... :nutkick:)

It's best that you set Asus's "TraceFree" overdrive in it's default state/mode which is 60. This way, your monitor settings are balanced between overshoot, ghosting, & pixel response time.

The issue with overdrive mode pointed out by that review is that TraceFree isn't a great name :kookoo: and it's selection option is also hidden on the second page of one of the monitor's settings panels. That's it. There isn't anything wrong with overdrive within itself.
So ELMB will not be used if I use Trace free? I m a bit lost

Rei

Cooling Stock
Storage 6+ TB Total
Case None
Audio Device(s) Various
So ELMB will not be used if I use Trace free? I m a bit lost
You CAN use ELMB with TraceFree overdrive. It seems like the only issue with ELMB is that ELMB & FreeSync cannot be enabled at the same time on this monitor according to the review. It might or might not work with V-Sync and/or G-Sync. Try & verify if it does work or not on your monitor.

System Name Button
Keyboard Cougar Vantar
You CAN use ELMB with TraceFree overdrive. It seems like the only issue with ELMB is that ELMB & FreeSync cannot be enabled at the same time on this monitor according to the review. It might or might not work with V-Sync and/or G-Sync. Try & verify if it does work or not on your monitor.
I haven't bought it yet!
Quite the contrary, according to the review ELMB can be used with both Free Sync and G Sync at the same time.
My only concern is that according to the review, players are expected to adjust the 6 different modes with respect to different frame rates in game.

Is it just Asus? Or other brands also require this kind of manual adjustment?

Rei

Cooling Stock
Storage 6+ TB Total
Case None
Audio Device(s) Various
Quite the contrary, according to the review ELMB can be used with both Free Sync and G Sync at the same time.
Which review did you go off of? The one from TechSpot doesn't mention anything about it nor would it apply to the monitor that you are after. You should go of DisplayNinja's review since that specifically applies to your target monitor.
My only concern is that according to the review, players are expected to adjust the 6 different modes with respect to different frame rates in game.

Is it just Asus? Or other brands also require this kind of manual adjustment?
Other brands also have different modes to manually adjust as well. For example, one review I read about Samsung's monitor with five levels of overdrive mode while another review about Dell's monitor with four levels of overdrive mode. Each brand has their own implementation & settings, so I can't say for sure which or what is better. Have to rely on reviewers for that.

Bottom line is to stick with the default overdrive setting for a balanced & optimal configuration.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Be wary. ELMB apparently was a short lived hype but it seems to be a big box of problems.

I experience similar with Gsync implementations here. Strobe and variable refresh don't play well together, or they're simply locked out of settings to begin with. It makes sense too, because you're introducing variability in pixel rise and fall times ON TOP of variable refresh rate of the panel.

Keep it stupid simple, is my advice. Don't buy into all those added features, but rather spend your money on the panel quality itself. Its usually a mixed bag, but still. That Asus VG-line is pretty decent, but there are many like it. There is almost no single monitor without something that isn't great. I've looked at a massive number of them over several years... the improvements are there, but there are so so many bad implementations...

I'll tell you straight up, I have this current monitor (see specs) now for a few weeks and tried using Gsync but I honestly turned it off again. No benefit to speak of... not seeing the point of it at all, the image still doesn't tear :p Strobing backlight (ULMB, BFI...), yes, that is a feature that's nice to have, it gives a bit of that 'CRT' monitor feel... but if the panel's good to begin with, its bonus at best.

System Name Button
Keyboard Cougar Vantar
Be wary. ELMB apparently was a short lived hype but it seems to be a big box of problems.

I experience similar with Gsync implementations here. Strobe and variable refresh don't play well together, or they're simply locked out of settings to begin with. It makes sense too, because you're introducing variability in pixel rise and fall times ON TOP of variable refresh rate of the panel.

Keep it stupid simple, is my advice. Don't buy into all those added features, but rather spend your money on the panel quality itself. Its usually a mixed bag, but still. That Asus VG-line is pretty decent, but there are many like it. There is almost no single monitor without something that isn't great. I've looked at a massive number of them over several years... the improvements are there, but there are so so many bad implementations...

I'll tell you straight up, I have this current monitor (see specs) now for a few weeks and tried using Gsync but I honestly turned it off again. No benefit to speak of... not seeing the point of it at all, the image still doesn't tear :p Strobing backlight (ULMB, BFI...), yes, that is a feature that's nice to have, it gives a bit of that 'CRT' monitor feel... but if the panel's good to begin with, its bonus at best.
My mind is hovering over ASUS TUF Gaming VG259QM and their latest 27" VG27AQL1A. I wanted to go for the 25" VG259QM. I know it sounds very silly when 27" 1440p is the main stream nowadays.

I was stopped after reading TechSpot article mentioning that there are 6 modes(levels) of overdrive. Each caters for a range of F refresh rates if I understand it correctly. Then I was beginning to hesitate and withdraw my decision to purchase either one of them.

I've watched Linus LTT video about the review of the LG Ultragear

He actually compared 60, 120, 144 and 240Hz motion and gave detailed illustration about motion blur and pixel overshoot...Etc. A good short and precise lecture.
Now I can appreciate why 80 is the best overdrive mode in both VG259QM and VG27AQL1A.
In another LTT video, it reviews the VG27AQL1A and stresses that ELMB can be enabled with either g_sync and free_sync.

Amongst 60, 130, 144, 240Hz, ad far as fast motion is concerned, 240 is the smoothest.

I will get a RTX 3080 when stock is recovered, and because of it immense power, using a 1080p monitor can easily allow the monitor to sync with high frame rates generated by the card possibly within the range of 100~150FPS in games. That's why VG259QM is a better choice compared with the 27" 144Hz 1440p VG27AQL1A, is my understanding correct?

Could you explain why gsync sounds problematic?

That's why I have given up on VG259Q.

Now I focus on VG259QM, it supports both ELMB and gsync/freesync turned on.

I believe no gamers will not be disappointed if after spending $400 on a monitor only to find out that some features cannot operate together with another features. With powerful graphics cards today like the RTX 3000 series, 3A titles can easily run at 150FPS or above, some even reach 200+ FPS. So less expensive 240Hz monitors should be more than welcomed. But if running at high refresh rates results in noticeable motion blur, then I would rather stay with my cheap 60Hz monitor despite playi#g games like Civilizations 6 shows extremely noticeable screen tearing.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
My mind is hovering over ASUS TUF Gaming VG259QM and their latest 27" VG27AQL1A. I wanted to go for the 25" VG259QM. I know it sounds very silly when 27" 1440p is the main stream nowadays.

I was stopped after reading TechSpot article mentioning that there are 6 modes(levels) of overdrive. Each caters for a range of F refresh rates if I understand it correctly. Then I was beginning to hesitate and withdraw my decision to purchase either one of them.

He actually compared 60, 120, 144 and 240Hz motion and gave detailed illustration about motion blur and pixel overshoot...Etc. A good short and precise lecture.
Now I can appreciate why 80 is the best overdrive mode in both VG259QM and VG27AQL1A.
In another LTT video, it reviews the VG27AQL1A and stresses that ELMB can be enabled with either g_sync and free_sync.

Amongst 60, 130, 144, 240Hz, ad far as fast motion is concerned, 240 is the smoothest.

I will get a RTX 3080 when stock is recovered, and because of it immense power, using a 1080p monitor can easily allow the monitor to sync with high frame rates generated by the card possibly within the range of 100~150FPS in games. That's why VG259QM is a better choice compared with the 27" 144Hz 1440p VG27AQL1A, is my understanding correct?

I believe no gamers will not be disappointed if after spending $400 on a monitor only to find out that some features cannot operate together with another features. With powerful graphics cards today like the RTX 3000 series, 3A titles can easily run at 150FPS or above, some even reach 200+ FPS. So less expensive 240Hz monitors should be more than welcomed. But if running at high refresh rates results in noticeable motion blur, then I would rather stay with my cheap 60Hz monitor despite playi#g games like Civilizations 6 shows extremely noticeable screen tearing.

Let's just say there is a marked difference between what happens in Linus and reviews and what happens in-game. They run content with a top-of-the-bill system so it is liable to produce less frame variability. They run it for a short while and give it a few minutes of attention.

I find it very hard to translate those conclusions to the places I use a monitor in and for. And they're the same use cases. I prefer getting my info from a real review like tftcentral.co.uk or some sort. Not that Linus draws the wrong conclusions... or other reviewers, but they do lack perspective. How does each feature affect your actual game, your immersion? They can't, won't say. And its a personal thing too, what works for me, may or may not work for you.

What I did find, every single time, is that added features over the standard, unfiltered experience, almost never last indefinitely for me. That goes for audio and in a way it also goes for video. With Gsync for example, I had the idea of feeling more latency impact than I did with uncapped frames, while the benefit (no tearing) wasn't really visible. Gsync off didn't tear either. If you already have a high refresh panel, you can just tweak a little bit and avoid tearing. I'm also noticing that engines and GPUs handle frame delivery better and differently. The goodold half-way torn up images are history and have been prior to owning a Gsync capable panel already. And for the old content that doesn't have that, well... you just run it at 144 hz constantly, and don't need Gsync to begin with.

Gsync also doesn't mix well with a strobing backlight, which is arguably a much more useful feature to have for motion clarity - its the other half of the experience really, and high FPS won't get you there on its own. Strobe compensates for the way our eyes move across the screen, and allows us to 'snapshot' the images rather than view constantly changing colors. This way, you can actually read text passing by fast, instead of deciphering it within a line of blur. This also affects refresh rates of 240hz and all... you can also just strobe the image at 120hz and achieve a better result doing so, for motion clarity. Blurbusters even puts 240hz on a lower tier than a 120hz+strobe panel - although native 240hz might be at 2ms persistence just as well - its much less likely to deliver, because you won't have 240 FPS at all times, and half the number is far easier to hold on to.

See how those considerations defeat all necessity for variable refresh like Gsync? You really just want to have the most fixed and high FPS and a matching refresh rate for the best experience.

1606762061551.png

FWIW... don't pay for Gsync, but if the panel comes compatible with Gsync, why not. That's my advice, best of worlds really, you won't ever feel cheated out of your money and if it works, yay. But it is most certainly NOT the must have in any possible situation. Its bonus, but all other monitor qualities and price should come first. Gsync will still be shite on a crappy panel. :)

Note: I paid 450 EUR for this Gigabyte G34GWC, 3440x1440 144hz Gsync compatible, strobe capable VA Ultrawide. Paying similar for a high refresh IPS at 27 inch seems to be the norm, but I have to say, there is very little differentiation now between IPS and VA. Yes, viewing angles are smaller, but contrast is higher, blacks are much better and bleed is nonexistant (quality/ panel lottery, mind). For gaming, VA is a dream really, and I much prefer it over IPS. Take note of the fact that your typical ambient lighting is of great impact: if you play in dim lit rooms, definitely AVOID IPS. The glow will make you want to throw it out the window sooner rather than later - get VA instead. If you don't and room is brightly lit, the lacking contrast of IPS doesn't matter and its the better choice.

But... IPS is certainly more consistent, especially in darker hues. VA does smear a tiny bit, but it grows on you, I hardly notice it having used a VA before, but the advantages still do jump out at me - crisp image, super vibrant colors and blacks... its really something when you can't see your game is running in 16:9 on a 21:9 screen because black is just... black.

Some thoughts - but key point and TL DR... focus on the primary monitor qualities first before staring blindly at whatever-Sync. Its not that relevant.

So what is important...
- uniformity (you really do see it when a panel is not 'equally lit')
- no bleed, low glow (in case of IPS) and preferably NO glow at a normal view distance. I tried a Dell U2515HM (might have mixed a letter) IPS and the glow was horrendous, it really stands out in games that are almost always with dark elements.
- diagonal/size/view distance but with 27/1440 you got that locked down solid, its a sweetspot.
- a good overdrive mode (you pointed that one out, good topic to focus on!). You only need one. You won't change per game, that only happens the first week, and then novelty wears off.
- overall build quality. Can you hold the panel normally without bending stuff, is the stand workable, etc.

After those boxes are ticked... look at the budget, see what's left over in the list and pick the best added featureset :)

Last edited:

Rei

Cooling Stock
Storage 6+ TB Total
Case None
Audio Device(s) Various

As @Vayra86 said: unless you are a hardcore gamer who expect perfection from their hardware, it's bonus features should not concern you too much. Don't let us or reviewer tell you what to do. We & reviewers are only here to advice, recommend & influence you, nothing more. Just go with whatever resolution, refresh rate, size & aspect ratio fits you best at your conclusion & go with it.

As for my recommendation for monitor, as you don't seem to mind a larger 27 inch monitor, you might as well get the VG279QM. Same monitor, just larger. Dunno how much more expensive it is but if you can afford it & want a larger screen & think it's worth it, then VG279QM could be the better option.

System Name Button
Keyboard Cougar Vantar
See how those considerations defeat all necessity for variable refresh like Gsync? You really just want to have the most fixed and high FPS and a matching refresh rate for the best experience.

I m beginning to notice that also.

My gaming rig is sitting in my bedroom. And I use desk lamp.

Will IPS glow very disturbing...?

It seems that VA is a balanced choice between IPS and TN...

Rei

Cooling Stock
Storage 6+ TB Total
Case None
Audio Device(s) Various
Will IPS glow very disturbing...?
That depends on the LED backlighting & it's implementation.
It seems that VA is a balanced choice between IPS and TN...
It is but VA also has the best contrast ratio & image depth of the three panel types. Though that is less important if your monitor's primary use is mostly gaming. Get IPS instead if you are primarily gaming.

System Name Button
Keyboard Cougar Vantar
System Name SYBARIS
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard MSI Arsenal Gaming B450 Tomahawk
Cooling Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi
Memory Team T-Force Delta RGB 2x8GB 3200CL16
Video Card(s) Colorful GeForce RTX 2060 6GV2
Storage Crucial MX500 500GB | WD Black WD1003FZEX 1TB | Seagate ST1000LM024 1TB | WD My Passport Slim 1TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2 24" 144hz IPS
Case Montech Air ARGB
Audio Device(s) Massdrop + Sennheiser PC37X | QKZ x HBB
Power Supply Corsair CX650-F
Mouse Razer Viper Mini | Cooler Master MM711 | Logitech G102 | Logitech G402
Keyboard Drop + The Lord of the Rings Dwarvish
Software Windows 10 Education 22H2 x64
My god! Is the discussion still going on?
OP if you live in a country with good consumer protection laws (aka 12 days money back return or whatever) buy whatever you like, use it and return what you don't like. Or if you don't, visit and check out shops that do demoes or check out a friend's rig.
This discussion is going around in circles with varying opinions and experiences.

IMO pc hardware that deal with the five senses can't be described objectively. You may have the best monitor that has the least input lag and least motion blur. But it won't matter if your eyes like a little blur (shocking I know but such people exist). Or you have the ultimate G-sync/Freesync monitor with no tearing. But you can't stand the motion blur and turn G-sync/Freesync off in favor of ULMB/ELMB/MBR/VRB. Everyone is wired differently.

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
So i've had the g7 samsung @240hz, a dell TN @ 165, the alienware 3440x1440 ips @120hz and am currently on a 49" 4k 120hz nanoIPS TV for work and gaming and here is my experience between them:

IPS glow - really not an issue unless you get a bad panel or are particularly sensitive to it - I really haven't noticed it with either IPS display.

VA@ 240hz/ high refresh. VA has pixel walk - the VA panel that I had from samsung (both the second one and the first one) all had very bad / noticeable pixel walk above 144hz (there's entire reddit threads about this) - also the colors at the center of the VA were not the same colors that were on the upper/lower edges (for instance if I put a solid red square and drag it to the edges it would be a slightly different color when it was sitting on the edges)

Overall the TN and VA had the best response - they were 165hz and 240hz respectively and you could definitely tell them apart from the 120hz panels. 240hz especially felt awesome -- anything above 180 and the game starts getting almost like a different game -- both of my IPS panels were a max of 120hz. Picture quality is by far the best on the IPS - in fact I prefer to game at lower Hz on the IPS panels just because to me the games look so much better.

Gsync / freesync to me is a must unless i'm bombing along at 140+ fps, I can immediately tell when it's off at around the 100 fps mark - there is a tiny bit of lag but the fluidity that it adds to games is not something I would give up -- like you said earlier, adding v-sync makes the game feel smoother - vrr does exactly that but with less lag.

System Name Button
Keyboard Cougar Vantar
OP if you live in a country with good consumer protection laws (aka 12 days money back return or whatever) buy whatever you like, use it and return what you don't like. Or if you don't, visit and check out shops that do demoes or check out a friend's rig.
This discussion is going around in circles with varying opinions and experiences.

IMO pc hardware that deal with the five senses can't be described objectively. You may have the best monitor that has the least input lag and least motion blur. But it won't matter if your eyes like a little blur (shocking I know but such people exist). Or you have the ultimate G-sync/Freesync monitor with no tearing. But you can't stand the motion blur and turn G-sync/Freesync off in favor of ULMB/ELMB/MBR/VRB. Everyone is wired differently.

Look at this comparison, it's objectively enough I suppose.

The LG though is my faith , used its brand before for 13 years, impressive. But check out the comparison table above, Asus 25" though is smaller, but check out the maximum refresh rate section, the overshoot errors is an unbelievable 0.0%!!! This is phenomenal. It even outperform s it's cousin VG27AQL1A.

These two monitors are pretty much the same price. Maybe I should reconsider the VG25QM, even though I'm not playing games like CSGO, but surely I should benefit from it when playing Stars War Squadron, Battlefield V , the Division 2 and the damn Watch Dogs Legion

So i've had the g7 samsung @240hz, a dell TN @ 165, the alienware 3440x1440 ips @120hz and am currently on a 49" 4k 120hz nanoIPS TV for work and gaming and here is my experience between them:

IPS glow - really not an issue unless you get a bad panel or are particularly sensitive to it - I really haven't noticed it with either IPS display.

VA@ 240hz/ high refresh. VA has pixel walk - the VA panel that I had from samsung (both the second one and the first one) all had very bad / noticeable pixel walk above 144hz (there's entire reddit threads about this) - also the colors at the center of the VA were not the same colors that were on the upper/lower edges (for instance if I put a solid red square and drag it to the edges it would be a slightly different color when it was sitting on the edges)

Overall the TN and VA had the best response - they were 165hz and 240hz respectively and you could definitely tell them apart from the 120hz panels. 240hz especially felt awesome -- anything above 180 and the game starts getting almost like a different game -- both of my IPS panels were a max of 120hz. Picture quality is by far the best on the IPS - in fact I prefer to game at lower Hz on the IPS panels just because to me the games look so much better.

Gsync / freesync to me is a must unless i'm bombing along at 140+ fps, I can immediately tell when it's off at around the 100 fps mark - there is a tiny bit of lag but the fluidity that it adds to games is not something I would give up -- like you said earlier, adding v-sync makes the game feel smoother - vrr does exactly that but with less lag.
Sir,
I don't quite get you there when you said VA and TN offer you a different game when refresh rate goes close to 240 and you also said IPS gives you a much better game when at lower Hz...

Can you elaborate a bit more?

Rei

Cooling Stock
Storage 6+ TB Total
Case None
Audio Device(s) Various
But this article is saying that VA is good for gaming....

That depends on what type/genre of game. For example, a highly competitive, fast paced game such as those for e-sports are best done on TN panel as they have the fastest response time & input lag. Of course they would lose picture & color quality & have narrower viewing angle among other things but it's a tiny sacrifice for competitive gaming. Nowadays, IPS have improved to the point that they could nearly compete with TN's & VA's pros without their cons. Which is why I recommend IPS panel.
Isn't it true that IPS is still in development and has to overcome ghosting / overshoot issues?
IPS has already been developed which is why we are seeing it on the market right now. Of course I understand what you mean though. IPS can still be improved to be better & overcome various issue but that also applies to other panel types.
LOL! I say let him. After all, we all came here to also learn & we all came here to also teach. He is here to get a second hand knowledge & affirmation so we should impart what knowledge & advise we have if asked. I'll be happy to do that.

Look at this comparison, it's objectively enough I suppose.

The LG though is my faith , used its brand before for 13 years, impressive. But check out the comparison table above, Asus 25" though is smaller, but check out the maximum refresh rate section, the overshoot errors is an unbelievable 0.0%!!! This is phenomenal. It even outperform s it's cousin VG27AQL1A.

These two monitors are pretty much the same price. Maybe I should reconsider the VG25QM, even though I'm not playing games like CSGO, but surely I should benefit from it when playing Stars War Squadron, Battlefield V , the Division 2 and the damn Watch Dogs Legion
If you are sure that's what you're after then as long as you believe it's worth it then you should go for it.

System Name Button
Keyboard Cougar Vantar
That depends on what type/genre of game. For example, a highly competitive, fast paced game such as those for e-sports are best done on TN panel as they have the fastest response time & input lag. Of course they would lose picture & color quality & have narrower viewing angle among other things but it's a tiny sacrifice for competitive gaming. Nowadays, IPS have improved to the point that they could nearly compete with TN's & VA's pros without their cons. Which is why I recommend IPS panel.

IPS has already been developed which is why we are seeing it on the market right now. Of course I understand what you mean though. IPS can still be improved to be better & overcome various issue but that also applies to other panel types.

LOL! I say let him. After all, we all came here to also learn & we all came here to also teach. He is here to get a second hand knowledge & affirmation so we should impart what knowledge & advise we have if asked. I'll be happy to do that.

If you are sure that's what you're after then as long as you believe it's worth it then you should go for it.
Despite Asus introduces 6 modes of overdrive, bit practically only one to two worth using as far as the VG259QM is concerned. Why the heck I m paying for a $400 + monitor for so much less benefits.

I just find BenQ has a better option. It's really not the money or it's cheaper or anything like that, it's whether this product is really worth of how much it claims for!

A $250ish monitor capable of 144Hz at 1080p IPS panel. I know Asus can do at 280Hz but the overshoot kills it when overdrive at that frequency. It's technologies limited I suppose. As Linus said the pixel is over_charged when the required response time is so short.