• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

VDSL2 Modem

Exactly. And the setup for DSL and cable typically are just that, plug them in and start surfing the Internet. Of course, the gateway device must be registered with the ISP and if you rent the device from your ISP, they are often pre-registered. If you buy it from the ISP or buy from another retailers (Amazon, Best Buy, etc.) you likely will have to call the ISP and provide the MAC address. It takes a few seconds (after hours on hold) for the authentication process to complete and you are good to go. But again, the steps are the same.
Sorry, but that is just totally wrong! Customers do it all the time (with and without the setup CD).

What you are suggesting is that the vast majority of ISP customers would need an ISP technician to come out to just about every new subscriber's residence to set up their new Internet connections. NO WAY! That would just be silly and very expensive for the ISPs. And it is just not happening.

How do I know? Because I live and run a little computer consulting and repair shop in a military and university town which means a large percentage of the population is in constant flux with individuals and families constantly moving in and out of the area. If what you claimed was true, my computer shop would be inundated with those type calls! Not happening!

A common mistake is users don't start in a powered off state for their computers and/or router. But a simple full power reset fixes that right up - and again, that is the same whether DSL or Cable (regardless what type of DSL too).[/quote
Why? Because it typically is plug and play.

The key word being "typically". This is not a pre-provisioned ISP provided modem. There is nothing typical about it. THIS piece of equipment is NOT plug and play. There is nothing typical about its setup at all. As Swede said, it's just a dumb modem. It needs special setup in the switch and firewall in order for it to work, and that setup is largely undocumented. No average user would be able to set this thing up themselves

That's just silly too. That is not your typical user. Again, exceptions don't make the rule.

Sorry, but you really need to do your homework and not assume what you might see in your little corner of the universe represents the big picture. It clearly doesn't. And when doing your homework, make sure your sources are current.

Yeah actually it definitely accurately describes a large segment of the computer using population. I also did computer repair - my own business - for 7 years. The largest part of my business was cleaning up peoples ignorance of malware. Not just personal machines either, plenty of business machines were dripping with toolbars and download helpers and rogue search engines and every other piece if crapware known to man. But I guess i must just live in a dumb node.

Maybe way back in 2010. But today, it is closer to 11%. The "off-line" population has steadily decreased since the year 2000. But of course that has nothing to do with plug n play either.

Yeah a Pew survey of 750 people is definitely a super accurate representation.. I put a lot more trust in the NTIA's number of 33 million households that do not have an internet subscription. Theres about 127 million households in the US. So 25%. https://www.ntia.doc.gov/blog/2016/digitally-unconnected-us-who-s-not-online-and-why

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
The key word being "typically". This is not a pre-provisioned ISP provided modem.
Exactly my point. You are trying to apply a non-typical scenarios to an entire industry. Such exceptions do NOT make the rule. You have made several statements based on your own "non-typical" scenario and equipment and applied them to all DSL scenarios.
I also did computer repair - my own business - for 7 years. The largest part of my business was cleaning up peoples ignorance of malware. Not just personal machines either, plenty of business machines were dripping with toolbars and download helpers and rogue search engines and every other piece if crapware known to man. But I guess i must just live in a dumb node.
What does malware have to do with the price of rice in China in the summer time? About the same amount as that comment has to do with DSL and plug n play.

This conversation is going no where. Have a good day.