• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

VisionTek 9600 XT 256 MB

zcwilkins

So I built my fiance's little brother a computer on Sunday and everything went well until he started to install his games and ran into some issues.

Everytime you load a game, it crashes. During Counterstrike it gives some memory read error that I read somewhere is known about, but no real solution is offered, just a list of like 15 try-this opinions. I tried a few of them to no avail (disabling VPU Recover, forcing counterstrike to run windowed, etc.)

I decided to take the board home and put it in my comp and see what happens, same stuff.

Just wondering if anyone has had similar issues with VisionTek as I've never worked with any of their hardware. I'm trying to avoid going back to the store, but I can't seem to get anywhere. Is it possible I just got a bad card? The system specs are below if they help any...

Mine:
Intel P4 2.6 GHZ oc'd to 2.85 or so
Albatron 865PE Pro motherboard
1 GB PC 3200 RAM

His:
AMD Athlon 64 3000+
Gigabyte K8U motherboard
1 GB Mushkin PC 3200

Anakaro

Try disabling AGP Write Combine (Under troubleshoot in advanced display settings) and make sure AGP Fastwrite is ENABLED (Catalyst).

zcwilkins

I'm headed over there right now to work on it so I'll try this out. One other question I had. Are these cards made by 3rd parties able to run under ATI drivers? Or do you have to use drivers specific for that brand?

zcwilkins

Apparently both of your suggestions I had already done based on the forum for Counterstrike.

After speaking with VisionTek's tech support guys, chances are that if it's crashing like that in two completely different systems, then there's just a hardware failure of some sort.

So I've taken it back and going to try a new one in there and see how it goes... :confused: