• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Weird Bios problem

I acquired an MSi RTX 3080 Ventus 3x OC from a friend who used it to mine along with other 3080s (Trio, Strix, FTW3 Ultra).
This one has an outdated BIOS version without resizable bar, which I wanted to test. So, I tried to flash it and:
-can't flash it with newest nvflash following all the steps in guides, CMD as admin, even tried in safe mode, gives me error "Adapter not accessible or supported EEPROM not found, skipping" and "ERROR: Detecting GPU failed."
-can't save the current bios with nvflash, gives me error "ERROR: A system restart might be required before running the utility." and restarting does not work.
-can't remove the protection with --protectoff, gives me error "ERROR: A system restart might be required before running the utility." which again does not work.
-can't save current bios with GPU-Z, gives me the "bios reading not supported on this device" (this is the first thing I tried)

My friend told me he never changed the bios, all he did was save it with Hiveos (he did change pads and thermal paste)
GPU-Z shows me all the info, including the bios version no problem there, and the card works, except it has a low performance compared to other 3080s: furmark bench at 1080p is around 16000 points when in other 3080s is 17000; also in Unigine Superposition is a similar matter.
My friend told me to install Hiveos and he would flash my card from his home as apparently one can't do it in the same computer and I have only one now...
I was thinking of using a bootable USB and see if I could do it that way, but I don't know if I will need another card to do so, I guess no...

Any ideas?

GPU-Z capture:
paratechpowerup.gif

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Issue, you bought a mining card

Get a picture of the white/black stickers from the card itself.

Issue, you bought a mining card

Get a picture of the white/black stickers from the card itself.

Thanks, but that's the first video I saw, and I did all it says, including the safe mode with command prompt. Same results as I said before.

izy

Thanks, but that's the first video I saw, and I did all it says, including the safe mode with command prompt. Same results as I said before.
Try to flash it from Dragon center

This guy here seems that fixed his GPU using it:

Last edited:

Ok.

No, doesn't work either. Doesn't even detect my card...
dragoncentertampocofuncacon3080.jpg

But thanks anyway.

izy

I did that yesterday. :(
I had the same problem after a bad flash , deleted the card and all drivers then it worked to flash it again.
Try to remove everything using VGADeviceList (i dont remember the link , it was somewhere on the forum but ive uploaded it here for you)

Attachments

• VGADeviceList.exe
    156 KB · Views: 269
Last edited:
I had the same problem after a bad flash , deleted the card and all drivers then it worked to flash it again.
Try to remove everything using VGADeviceList (i dont remember the link , it was somewhere on the forum but ive uploaded it here for you)
Ok, thank you. Will do.
But I just discovered something: the 2 last bios for my card have the same name with the difference that the last one enables resizable bar and the files in TPW have of course a different name. As I assumed, given the date of the last bios, that I couldn't enable resizable bar, I didn't even bother to enable it in the motherboard's BIOS because the first step was to flash the GPU bios. Well, I just enabled it in the motherboard bios (along with "above 4G...something" that I read had to do it too) and turns out that now it's enabled...so, I guess, the bios the GPU have is the last one. Cool. But the problem of the bios being unable to be flashed or even saved persist, so I have to keep looking at it and solve it as this is not how it should be. There's something wrong here.
resizablebarenabledperocosotechpowerup.jpg

Reactions: izy

izy

Ok, thank you. Will do.
But I just discovered something: the 2 last bios for my card have the same name with the difference that the last one enables resizable bar and the files in TPW have of course a different name. As I assumed, given the date of the last bios, that I couldn't enable resizable bar, I didn't even bother to enable it in the motherboard's BIOS because the first step was to flash the GPU bios. Well, I just enabled it in the motherboard bios (along with "above 4G...something" that I read had to do it too) and turns out that now it's enabled...so, I guess, the bios the GPU have is the last one. Cool. But the problem of the bios being unable to be flashed or even saved persist, so I have to keep looking at it and solve it as this is not how it should be. There's something wrong here.
View attachment 273445
Great , you have all you need .. anyway did you used nvflash64 --protectoff first (after using VGADeviceList to delete everything and reboot) ?

Great , you have all you need ..

Well, no, I need the card to be able to be flashed as any other card. If there's a future new BIOS resolving some issue or introducing some new feature, I want to be able to flash it as it should be.
Also when I sell it, I don't want to sell a card that misses a normal feature.

anyway did you used nvflash64 --protectoff first (after using VGADeviceList to delete everything and reboot) ?

I don't remember now if I did it right after before reboot or after reboot, but I did try that first thing and nothing...

Also couldn't save the bios, etc.

Then I installed nvidia drivers and GPU Z didn't show them...I used DDU and reinstalled and now it shows...

AAahhh...this thing...

What do you think about trying with a bootable USB?

izy

Well, no, I need the card to be able to be flashed as any other card. If there's a future new BIOS resolving some issue or introducing some new feature, I want to be able to flash it as it should be.
Also when I sell it, I don't want to sell a card that misses a normal feature.

I don't remember now if I did it right after before reboot or after reboot, but I did try that first thing and nothing...

Also couldn't save the bios, etc.

Then I installed nvidia drivers and GPU Z didn't show them...I used DDU and reinstalled and now it shows...

AAahhh...this thing...

What do you think about trying with a bootable USB?
You can try, but if the card works you should just leave it like this , rarely you will get some bios update that will boost your performance .. at least from nvidia :)

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Devmgr show non present devices, look it up

Well, me and my friend did the Hiveos thing and he managed to save and flash the bios of my GPU from his terminal...so there might be a problem with my Windows 10?
I will test the bootable USB way, to see if I can do a --protectoff and a saving of bios with nvflash, that would be enough for me.

Reactions: izy

DrWhaley

I acquired an MSi RTX 3080 Ventus 3x OC from a friend who used it to mine along with other 3080s (Trio, Strix, FTW3 Ultra).
This one has an outdated BIOS version without resizable bar, which I wanted to test. So, I tried to flash it and:
-can't flash it with newest nvflash following all the steps in guides, CMD as admin, even tried in safe mode, gives me error "Adapter not accessible or supported EEPROM not found, skipping" and "ERROR: Detecting GPU failed."
-can't save the current bios with nvflash, gives me error "ERROR: A system restart might be required before running the utility." and restarting does not work.
-can't remove the protection with --protectoff, gives me error "ERROR: A system restart might be required before running the utility." which again does not work.
-can't save current bios with GPU-Z, gives me the "bios reading not supported on this device" (this is the first thing I tried)

My friend told me he never changed the bios, all he did was save it with Hiveos (he did change pads and thermal paste)
GPU-Z shows me all the info, including the bios version no problem there, and the card works, except it has a low performance compared to other 3080s: furmark bench at 1080p is around 16000 points when in other 3080s is 17000; also in Unigine Superposition is a similar matter.
My friend told me to install Hiveos and he would flash my card from his home as apparently one can't do it in the same computer and I have only one now...
I was thinking of using a bootable USB and see if I could do it that way, but I don't know if I will need another card to do so, I guess no...

Any ideas?

GPU-Z capture:
View attachment 273342

Any ideas?

GPU-Z capture:

Bro don’t worry it’s not about a mined card or bla bla whatever the comments are making this a poop party.

I wanted to reflash my 3080 g x trio from the suprim bios bcoz i be running it 24hrs for awhile.

I FACED(so read for the good part) i’d the same issue prompting restart required and gpuz saying is not supported whatever F’s

After some research i’d a hunch the manufacturers have a shadow deal with these bunch.

Skip gpuz and dont use the latest nvflash, its made to make us feel like be bricked our cards or so

Download this version of nvflash 5.667

If u notice there is no 32 or 64 bit version. Look up tech power up for your correct bios.

Follow the standard step

Nvflash -b backup.rom

Nvflash - - protectoff

Nvflash -6 with your new bios.rom

Wah la! I hoped it helps, at this point of clicking send i am boarding my plane, i hope when i land i hope to see it helped you
Well, me and my friend did the Hiveos thing and he managed to save and flash the bios of my GPU from his terminal...so there might be a problem with my Windows 10?
I will test the bootable USB way, to see if I can do a --protectoff and a saving of bios with nvflash, that would be en

Any ideas?

GPU-Z capture:
View attachment 273342

Any ideas?

GPU-Z capture:
View attachment 273342
Bro don’t worry it’s not about a mined card or bla bla whatever the comments are making this a poop party.

I wanted to reflash my 3080 g x trio from the suprim bios bcoz i be running it 24hrs for awhile.

I FACED(so read for the good part) i’d the same issue prompting restart required and gpuz saying is not supported whatever F’s

After some research i’d a hunch the manufacturers have a shadow deal with these bunch.

Skip gpuz and dont use the latest nvflash, its made to make us feel like be bricked our cards or so

If u notice there is no 32 or 64 bit version. Look up tech power up for your correct bios.

Follow the standard step

Nvflash -b backup.rom

Nvflash - - protectoff

Wah la!

Any ideas?

GPU-Z capture:
View attachment 273342

Any ideas?

GPU-Z capture:

Follow the standard step

Nvflash -b backup.rom

Nvflash - - protectoff

Wah la!
I will test the bootable USB way, to see if I can do a --protectoff and a saving of bios with nvflash, that would be en
I will test the bootable USB way, to see if I can do a --protectoff and a saving of bios with nvflash, that would be enough for me.

Follow the standard step

Nvflash -b backup.rom

Nvflash - - protectoff

Wah la!

Any ideas?

GPU-Z capture:
View attachment 273342

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD

Follow the standard step

1.Nvflash -b backup.rom

2.Nvflash - - protectoff

3.Nvflash -6 with your new bios.rom
Wah la! I hoped it helps, at this point of clicking send i am boarding my plane, i hope when i land i hope to see it helped you

Hi! Sorry, my monitor broke last saturday and I fixed it yesterday.
Thanks for the tip, I will try to do what you just said and tell you how it went, but not a lot of hope really...

Follow the standard step
1.Nvflash -b backup.rom
2.Nvflash - - protectoff
3.Nvflash -6 with your new bios.rom

DUDE!!! You were right!!!
It does work with the 5.667.0!!! I saved the BIOS, did a protect off, tested that it would let me flash it (but didn't do it as the one I have is the last and enough flashing for me with the other day, read above) and did a protect on too.
Thank you and...you probably discovered something here...

DrWhaley

Hi! Sorry, my monitor broke last saturday and I fixed it yesterday.
Thanks for the tip, I will try to do what you just said and tell you how it went, but not a lot of hope really...

DUDE!!! You were right!!!
It does work with the 5.667.0!!! I saved the BIOS, did a protect off, tested that it would let me flash it (but didn't do it as the one I have is the last and enough flashing for me with the other day, read above) and did a protect on too.
Thank you and...you probably discovered something here...
Hey man, many months later. I am back. I am glad i helped you guys! Hopefully others could understand my thread. The connection was so bad there where i was, assumed it did not post and i kept pasting my solution on

Devmgr show non present devices, look it up
Sour grape. Get out! :)