• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Weird Wi-Fi connection problem

sacentre

Can anyone suggest what could be causing this? In 30 years of experience building and troubleshooting PCs, I haven't seen or heard of this issue before.

Just yesterday, my wife's Windows 10 desktop PC AND her Android phone stopped detecting our Wi-Fi access point . (The Wi-Fi router is only about 8 feet away in the same room). The weird thing is that when I check available networks, both devices can "see" all my neighbours' networks in our block - just NOT ours. Her phone works normally at all the outside Wi-Fi spots we go to like cafes etc. My own two Windows 11 desktop PCs, my HP tablet as well as my Android phone all connect as normal. I've made no changes to hardware or software or any config changes that might explain it. I tried rebooting the router, and changing the Wi-Fi adapter in her PC to a USB Wi-Fi dongle - same result and this still wouldn't explain why this is also happening with her Android phone.

It doesn't seem like a hardware issue so that leaves software and I'm wondering if it could be caused by a virus or malware. I can't think of anything else that might block 2 devices from seeing a single Wi-Fi network.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

TIA
Trevor

Last edited:
System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I don't see how this could be malware affecting just 2 devices, and 2 different devices (Windows and Android) at the same time, but not the other devices in the house using the same router.

This is odd. Just thinking out loud... ...I wonder if your router experienced a system reset or some sort of corruption. I note I have a couple devices that must see the SSID in order to connect automatically. Is your router broadcasting the SSID of your wifi networks (2.4GHz and 5GHz)?

Are her two devices located in the same area? And are other devices in that area connecting fine? I'm thinking of a possible interference issue where some nearby device (like a microwave oven or communications tower, or big TV or some other device) is emitting excessive amounts of EMI/RFI, interfering with her signals. Or perhaps a large metallic object (big metal file cabinet or refrigerator) blocking the signal.

I would also power cycle her two devices and with the PC, do a "cold" reboot. By “cold”, I mean shut down the computer and flip the master power switch on the back of the power supply (if the supply has one) to off (or “O”), or unplug the power supply from the wall for about 15 seconds. Then turn the master power switch to on (or “|”), or reconnect the power cable and boot up and see what happens. By totally removing power, you reset the PSU. It also removes the +5Vsb standby voltage all ATX Form Factor power supplies are required to supply whenever the power supply is plugged into the wall and (if applicable) the master power switch is set to on. This standby voltage is distributed throughout several points on the motherboard, including RAM for faster boots and the USB ports too. This also keeps alive several features, including “wake on keyboard” and “wake on mouse”, and the network interface for “Wake on LAN” commands. A cold reboot ensures any device settings that may be held by the standby voltage are released, then reset when power is restored. A cold reboot also helps ensure any corrupt software settings after installs and upgrades are reset too.

Keep us posted.

Processor i7-13700K
Motherboard ASUS ROG Maximus Z690 Hero
Cooling NZXT Kraken Z73, (6) Lian Li Uni Fan SL Infinity 120mm
Memory G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo 2x16GB 6400mhz (32-39-39-102)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 4080 Gaming OC
Storage (1) SK hynix P41 Platinum 1TB, (1) WD Blue SN550 500GB, (1) Patriot Scorch 256GB
Display(s) (1) 32" Samsung Odyssey G7, (1) Dell S3222DGM, (2) Dell S2721DGF
Case Corsair iCUE 4000x
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso RGB
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x
Mouse Razer DeathAdder V3 Pro
Keyboard Corsair K70
VR HMD Quest 2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Strange, but just jumping in to suggest something that popped in my mind: Considering that both devices belong to the same person, is she using any particular software or app on both of those devices that you are not on any of yours?

Strange, but just jumping in to suggest something that popped in my mind: Considering that both devices belong to the same person, is she using any particular software or app on both of those devices that you are not on any of yours?
Additionally, and you said you made no changes, but can you be sure that those two devices are not blocked via the router settings?

System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MT/s CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
Did you try "forget" or removing the network from the devices, and try reconnecting again.

sacentre

I don't see how this could be malware affecting just 2 devices, and 2 different devices (Windows and Android) at the same time, but not the other devices in the house using the same router.
I had the same thought
This is odd. Just thinking out loud... ...I wonder if your router experienced a system reset or some sort of corruption. I note I have a couple devices that must see the SSID in order to connect automatically. Is your router broadcasting the SSID of your wifi networks (2.4GHz and 5GHz)? Yes it is.

Are her two devices located in the same area? Yes And are other devices in that area connecting fine? Yes I'm thinking of a possible interference issue where some nearby device (like a microwave oven or communications tower, or big TV or some other device) is emitting excessive amounts of EMI/RFI, interfering with her signals. Or perhaps a large metallic object (big metal file cabinet or refrigerator) blocking the signal. Nothing in our apartment has changed or been added recently. I can't speak for my external surroundings. There's a huge construction site not far away with excavators and huge cranes but all work stops around 6:00 pm each day.

I would also power cycle her two devices and with the PC, do a "cold" reboot. By “cold”, I mean shut down the computer and flip the master power switch on the back of the power supply (if the supply has one) to off (or “O”), or unplug the power supply from the wall for about 15 seconds. Then turn the master power switch to on (or “|”), or reconnect the power cable and boot up and see what happens. By totally removing power, you reset the PSU. It also removes the +5Vsb standby voltage all ATX Form Factor power supplies are required to supply whenever the power supply is plugged into the wall and (if applicable) the master power switch is set to on. This standby voltage is distributed throughout several points on the motherboard, including RAM for faster boots and the USB ports too. This also keeps alive several features, including “wake on keyboard” and “wake on mouse”, and the network interface for “Wake on LAN” commands. A cold reboot ensures any device settings that may be held by the standby voltage are released, then reset when power is restored. A cold reboot also helps ensure any corrupt software settings after installs and upgrades are reset too. Many thanks for the detailed explanation. I didn't think of doing that apart from a normal reboot which didn't help. But again, the question would be as you say above, why a PC AND an Android phone? However, when I got home today, I powered up the PC and I'm dammed if the problem hadn't disappeared! Ditto the phone. I've had problems appear and disappear before without ever getting to the bottom of them. I wonder now if it could have been some problem between me and my ISP. I'll monitor the problem and see what happens but the wife has been happily working away using both devices for hours now and so far, all's good.

Keep us posted. I will and many thanks for the helpful reply. Trevor

Did you try "forget" or removing the network from the devices, and try reconnecting again.
Yes, I did. Many times. However, as I just replied to Bill above, the problem has disappeared - for now at least - with no intervention from me. Thanks for the input.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I've had problems appear and disappear before without ever getting to the bottom of them.
LOL

My background is as an electronics technician supporting air traffic control radio communications systems. We used call mysterious problems that came and went "FM". However, it was not for FM (frequency modulation) radio signals, but rather for a certain type of magic! ;)

I wonder now if it could have been some problem between me and my ISP.
Nah! Well, I cannot speak about "you" ;) but for the most part, your ISP sees everything coming from all your connected devices as coming from just one device with just one IP address - and that one device is your router and the one IP address is the one they assigned to your gateway device (typically the modem).

This could have been some untimely EMI/RFI issue, or maybe "gremlins" (FM) or something more likely such as "operator error". Let's hope the problem stays disappeared.

Low quality post by 1freedude
Processor Xeon x5650
Motherboard SABERTOOTH X58
Cooling Fans
Memory 24 GB Kingston HyperX 1600
Video Card(s) GTX 1060 3GB
Storage small ssd
Display(s) Dell 2001F, BenQ short throw
Case Lian Li
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply X750
Software Mint 19.3, Win 10
Benchmark Scores not so fast...
FM is fucking magic. Or Fucking Motorola.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage Intel 905p Optane 960GB boot, +2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64 / Windows 11 Enterprise IoT 2024
If it's 5Ghz, it could be weather radar that shares the same band. It will yield to this, some chipsets more gracefully than others. You obviously can't do much about this.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Nobody needed anyone to explain what FM means. I specifically didn't spell it out just to avoid vulgar, offensive to some, language in a public forum. And please leave Motorola out of this. Regardless any opinion of them, they have been a major player in radio communications (especially mobile radio systems) for the military and emergency response services for decades - and for good reason. They make quality, reliable, innovative products.

If it's 5Ghz, it could be weather radar that shares the same band.
That's true, but the 2.4GHz band is way more crowded. That is one of the primary reasons the 5GHz band was made available for networking devices.

I note things like security cameras, RF mice and keyboards, TV remotes, ceiling fan remotes, many garage door openers, even Bluetooth devices operate in the 2.4GHz band. They may use different protocols than wifi networks, but the band can still be very crowded, especially in densely populated areas. Large apartment complexes, for example, can be very crowded.

LOL I just looked at the remotes sitting on the coffee table in my living room. I have 7 remotes. One for the TV, blu-ray/dvd player, Roku streamer, cable box, space heater, floor fan and A/V receiver. Only one (for the floor fan) uses IR (infrared) light. All the rest operate in the 2.4GHz RF (radio frequency) band.

sacentre

OP here. Thanks to all for the helpful replies and suggestions on this issue. It looks like the problem was caused by the router! I happened to have an unused, identical unit which I decided to try so I installed this using the saved config file from the old one and the problem has disappeared. At least it hasn't reappeared in over 48 hours.

Obviously, I would have saved everybody a lot of time if I'd thought of trying this sooner and if ALL my other devices connecting to it hadn't been not working normally. It beats me how it could affect just the one PC and Android phone but there we are. I can't think of anything about these two devices that could be the common denominator. So it suggests this was some hardware (or maybe firmware corruption?) issue on the router. I had already tried re-setting the original router to factory defaults but that made no difference.

Anyway, everything is back to normal - at least for now. Thanks again!

de.das.dude

Pro Indian Modder
System Name Monke | Work Thinkpad| Old Monke
Processor Ryzen 5600X | Ryzen 5500U | FX8320
Motherboard ASRock B550 Extreme4 | ? | Asrock 990FX Extreme 4
Cooling 240mm Rad | Not needed | hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 Corsair RGB | 16 GB DDR4 3600 | 16GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX6700XT 12GB | Vega 8 | Sapphire Pulse RX580 8GB
Storage Samsung 980 nvme (Primary) | some samsung SSD
Display(s) Dell 2723DS | Some 14" 1080p 98%sRGB IPS | Dell 2240L
Case Ant Esports Tempered case | Thinkpad | Antec
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 | Jabra corpo stuff
Power Supply Corsair RM750e | not needed | Corsair GS 600
Mouse Logitech G400 | nipple
Keyboard Logitech G213 | stock kb is awesome | Logitech K230
VR HMD ;_;
Software Windows 10 Professional x3
Benchmark Scores There are no marks on my bench
Ok this is spooky, i just woke up a few hrs back and my tab had the same issue with not being able to see my wifi 5ghz network. it could still see the 2.4 one.

i just restarted the router.

make sure you arent hitting the max connected devices limit :D

sacentre

Ok this is spooky, i just woke up a few hrs back and my tab had the same issue with not being able to see my wifi 5ghz network. it could still see the 2.4 one.

i just restarted the router.

make sure you arent hitting the max connected devices limit :D
Thanks. I never touch settings unless I fully understand what they do. My router hasn't been touched since it was put in apart from the occasional reboot which means I have to re-check my public IP which may have changed (otherwise I can't access my IP camera from the WAN).

Did re-booting your router fix the problem?

de.das.dude

Pro Indian Modder
VR HMD ;_;
Thanks. I never touch settings unless I fully understand what they do. My router hasn't been touched since it was put in apart from the occasional reboot which means I have to re-check my public IP which may have changed (otherwise I can't access my IP camera from the WAN).

Did re-booting your router fix the problem?
it did fix the problem.

i think there are too many devices. my parents are visiting and they have 4 devices. plus my smart bulbs, laptop, desktop, handheld, tablet.. my phones... lol.

sacentre

it did fix the problem.

i think there are too many devices. my parents are visiting and they have 4 devices. plus my smart bulbs, laptop, desktop, handheld, tablet.. my phones... lol.
Yeah, we're all so tied to our digital toys these days and I'm no exception. It's like a drug. The only line in the sand I drew was staying off social media. That's the real cancer in our society.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Obviously, I would have saved everybody a lot of time if I'd thought of trying this sooner
And then we all would have missed a learning opportunity. So this was NOT time wasted.

That said, I still am not buying the first router is "bad". Not when all other devices still worked just fine. You might have an Ethernet port go bad, or an entire wifi band stops working while the other band and Ethernet - wired connections - continue working. But typically, a router either works, or it doesn't.

It just does not make sense for a router to "block" access to 2 devices while allowing access to all others - UNLESS there was a "setting" somewhere configured to block those devices (likely by MAC address). Or perhaps, MAC filtering was enabled where the router was configured only to allow predesignated MAC addresses. It is not actively "blocking" others - it is, in effect, just not "allowing" the others.

Or, another possible router setting involves IP filtering where the router only assigns specific IPs or a limited "range" of IP addresses. This, in effect, limits the number of devices that can be connected at the same time.

You connecting a second router - in effect - reset your network back the router's factory defaults and, I suspect, reset a setting that was blocking (not allowing) those two devices access.

I suspect - though I certainly could be wrong - if you reconnected the first router, reset it back to the factory defaults (your user guide will show how), then configured your network again, it would work just fine.

i think there are too many devices
Nah. In theory, you should be able to connect up to 254 devices. For example 192.168.1.1 thru 192.168.1.255.

I have heard of some WAPs (wireless access points - typically integrated into wireless routers) limiting the number of devices to 30. But even with visitors, that's a lot. And that has no impact on the number of devices connected via Ethernet (wired).

Now if you have several devices all downloading/streaming massive files (videos) at the same time, you certainly can bog down your network by hogging all the bandwidth. This might cause other devices to "appear" to be unable to do anything. But they would still connect.

And of course, not all routers offer the same performance - especially with wireless. And your service agreement with your ISP can sure be a factor too.

they have 4 devices. plus my smart bulbs, laptop, desktop, handheld, tablet.. my phones... lol.
That's not many. Your smart bulbs should not be downloading. Your other devices might be but all at the same time? Not likely.

de.das.dude

Pro Indian Modder
VR HMD ;_;
And then we all would have missed a learning opportunity. So this was NOT time wasted.

That said, I still am not buying the first router is "bad". Not when all other devices still worked just fine. You might have an Ethernet port go bad, or an entire wifi band stops working while the other band and Ethernet - wired connections - continue working. But typically, a router either works, or it doesn't.

It just does not make sense for a router to "block" access to 2 devices while allowing access to all others - UNLESS there was a "setting" somewhere configured to block those devices (likely by MAC address). Or perhaps, MAC filtering was enabled where the router was configured only to allow predesignated MAC addresses. It is not actively "blocking" others - it is, in effect, just not "allowing" the others.

Or, another possible router setting involves IP filtering where the router only assigns specific IPs or a limited "range" of IP addresses. This, in effect, limits the number of devices that can be connected at the same time.

You connecting a second router - in effect - reset your network back the router's factory defaults and, I suspect, reset a setting that was blocking (not allowing) those two devices access.

I suspect - though I certainly could be wrong - if you reconnected the first router, reset it back to the factory defaults (your user guide will show how), then configured your network again, it would work just fine.

Nah. In theory, you should be able to connect up to 254 devices. For example 192.168.1.1 thru 192.168.1.255.

I have heard of some WAPs (wireless access points - typically integrated into wireless routers) limiting the number of devices to 30. But even with visitors, that's a lot. And that has no impact on the number of devices connected via Ethernet (wired).

Now if you have several devices all downloading/streaming massive files (videos) at the same time, you certainly can bog down your network by hogging all the bandwidth. This might cause other devices to "appear" to be unable to do anything. But they would still connect.

And of course, not all routers offer the same performance - especially with wireless. And your service agreement with your ISP can sure be a factor too.

That's not many. Your smart bulbs should not be downloading. Your other devices might be but all at the same time? Not likely.
honestly, i wouldnt apply normal knowledge with the router i have :D

its a no-name branded chinese something that does router duties as well as modem duties (optical input).

it also faces the west, so gets a quite a bit of sunlight hitting it in the latter parts of the day :D

doesnt even have address reservation! lol.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
router duties as well as modem duties
Just for future reference, when the router and modem are integrated into the same device (typically along with a 4-port Ethernet switch and WAP - wireless access point), it is commonly called a "residential gateway". That is yet another often misleading "marketing term". Technically, a residential gateway device is 4 discrete network devices that just happen to share the same main circuit board, case, power supply and menu.

Because these 4 devices are on one board, in the same case and powered by a single power supply, they are much less expensive to manufacturer and distribute and (at least in theory) purchase. The downside of course, is if one portion fails, the entire device must be replaced. This is why I like separates - though my setup is not entirely separate. I have a "wireless router" (integrated router, switch and WAP) and a separate modem.

gets a quite a bit of sunlight hitting it
Never good for any electronics to be in direct sunlight. I recommend you move it or pull down a window shade. You need to block the sun from hitting it directly.