• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Western Digital Comments Some More on WD Red Hard Drives

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
We want to thank our customers and partners for your feedback on our WD Red family of network attached storage (NAS) hard drives. Your real-world insights shared through in-depth reviews, blogs, forums and from our trusted partners are directly contributing to our work on an expansion of models and clarity of choice for customers. Please continue sharing your experiences and expectations of our products, as this input influences our development.

Due to the fact that the range of use cases for NAS has become increasingly diverse, we are now making it easier for users to match the right drive with their applications and workloads - from moderate small office/home office (SOHO) workloads to intensive small- and medium-business (SMB) use, as well as more demanding environments.

The WD Red Family
Here's a breakdown of our products for NAS use-cases:
  • Our current device-managed shingled magnetic recording (DMSMR) (2 TB, 3 TB, 4 TB, and 6 TB) WD Red series will be the choice for the majority of NAS owners whose demands are lighter SOHO workloads.
  • WD Red Plus is the new name for conventional magnetic recording (CMR)-based NAS drives in the WD Red family, including all capacities from 1 TB to 14 TB. These will be the choice for those whose applications require more write-intensive SMB workloads such as ZFS. WD Red Plus in 2 TB, 3 TB, 4 TB and 6 TB capacities will be available soon.
  • Our WD Red Pro (CMR 2 TB to 14 TB) series for the highest-intensity usage remains the same.
The Right Drive for SOHO Users
From our experience, we see most SOHO users rely on their systems for office file sharing, home backup or content archiving. Throughput and idle time are key considerations in these types of SOHO workloads. As explained in our post on DMSMR, as well as in media reviews, these drives prefer idle time to perform background operations, without which the drive may take longer to complete a command. Our use-case analysis shows that SOHO workloads typically are based on short periods of access to the drives. This results in extremely low average throughput (compared with the drive's available throughput) and provides plenty of idle time for the DMSMR drive to perform the necessary background operations, making it an ideal fit for this application.

From a sequential performance perspective, our tests confirm that our WD Red DMSMR drives are on par with our existing CMR drives. Third-party testing also validates the performance of WD Red DMSMR drives compared with other drives under general hard drive benchmarks used in an NAS environment.

In a RAID rebuild scenario using a typical Synology or QNAP (non-ZFS) platform, WD Red DMSMR drives perform as well as CMR drives or show slightly longer RAID rebuild times, depending on the condition of the drive and extent of rebuild required. While test results can vary from one methodology and test bed to the next, we acknowledge that in some cases DMSMR, for the idle-time reasons covered earlier, can result in slower rebuild times.

For Users with Workload-intensive Applications and ZFS: CMR
The explosion of data seen today has spawned a spectrum of NAS uses cases, as well as increasingly demanding applications. One of those includes use of ZFS, an enterprise-grade file system. The increased amount of sustained random writes during ZFS resilvering (similar to a rebuild) causes a lack of idle time for DMSMR drives to execute internal data management tasks, resulting in significantly lower performance reported by users. While we work with iXsystems on DMSMR solutions for lower-workload ZFS customers, we currently recommend our CMR-based WD Red drives, including WD Red Pro and the forthcoming WD Red Plus.

We're listening.
In addition to taking customer and partner feedback seriously, we conduct in-house testing on the WD Red family of drives for compatibility, performance, endurance and other factors. These drives typically have been validated for compatibility on many platforms from NAS manufacturers such as Synology, QNAP, Asustor, Buffalo, Netgear and Thecus. The DMSMR drives met all of our test requirements, and we're actively working with system makers like Synology to ensure use cases are validated for customers.

As a leader in HDD and flash technologies, we are committed to addressing the evolving needs of our customers and to offering the right technology for each implementation. This philosophy launched WD Red drives years ago, and they have been a leader in their field ever since. We continue engaging customers and partners and analyzing real-world data to offer a family of WD Red NAS drives - from HDDs to SSDs - that serve all workloads and applications.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
blah, blah, blah....

FYI WD, Da Rock can smell what you've been smokin, and it REEKS like hell.... hehehehe :D

And FYI #2, I use WD Black m.2's in all 6 of my rigs and they are great IMHO, so I'm only bashing them because I don't agree with the recent revelations about their current HDD's...

And back in the day, I used their 10k Raptors exclusively...those were some sweeeet drives !

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
So, basically, WD Red drives aren't Red drives anymore. If you want the actual Red drives you'll have to pay a premium for the "new" Red Plus drives. It doesn't sound like they listened to their customers at all.

This pretty much follows their pattern of rebranding lower quality/performance drives at higher tier products. They rebranded the WD Green drives as WD Blue, the older Blue drives moved up to Blacks. And the old school really nice fast Black drives are gone.

The color system was a pretty good way to tell consumers what the drive was intended for, but WD has totally f'd it up to the point it is worthless now.

Processor Intel i9 9900K @5Ghz 1.32vlts
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wi-Fi
Cooling BeQuiet Dark Rock 4
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200Mhz (16-18-18-36)
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 3080 Founders Edition
Storage 512GB Gigabyte Aorus NVMe (Boot) 1TB Crucial NVMe (Games)
Display(s) LG UK850 27in 4K Freesync/G-Sync/HDR 600
Case Fractal Design Meshify C Windowed (Dark Tint)
Audio Device(s) Corsair HS70 Special Edition Wireless Headphones & 7.1 Sound
Power Supply Corsair RMx 850w Gold
Mouse HyperX Pulsefire Surge RGB
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Elite Mechanical RGB (Cherry Red)
Software Windows 10 Home
File under 'We're sorry....we got caught'

So, basically, WD Red drives aren't Red drives anymore. If you want the actual Red drives you'll have to pay a premium for the "new" Red Plus drives. It doesn't sound like they listened to their customers at all.

This pretty much follows their pattern of rebranding lower quality/performance drives at higher tier products. They rebranded the WD Green drives as WD Blue, the older Blue drives moved up to Blacks. And the old school really nice fast Black drives are gone.

The color system was a pretty good way to tell consumers what the drive was intended for, but WD has totally f'd it up to the point it is worthless now.
This!

System Name Workhorse
Processor 13900K 5.9 Ghz single core (2x) 5.6 Ghz Allcore @ -0.15v offset / 4.5 Ghz e-core -0.15v offset
Motherboard MSI Z690A-Pro DDR4
Cooling Arctic Liquid Cooler 360 3x Arctic 120 PWM Push + 3x Arctic 140 PWM Pull
Memory 2 x 32GB DDR4-3200-CL16 G.Skill RipJaws V @ 4133 Mhz CL 18-22-42-42-84 2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) RX 6600XT 8GB
Storage PNY CS3030 1TB nvme SSD, 2 x 3TB HDD, 1x 4TB HDD, 1 x 6TB HDD
Display(s) Samsung 34" 3440x1400 60 Hz
Case Coolermaster 690
Audio Device(s) Topping Dx3 Pro / Denon D2000 soon to mod it/Fostex T50RP MK3 custom cable and headband / Bose NC700
Power Supply Enermax Revolution D.F. 850W ATX 2.4
Mouse Logitech G5 / Speedlink Kudos gaming mouse (12 years old)
Keyboard A4Tech G800 (old) / Apple Magic keyboard
Well, it's time to move to another brand now, like someone already posted no more WD for the next 5 years.
I personally would increase the number to more like 7 - 10, for good measure.

System Name Multiple - Win7, Win10, Kubuntu
Processor Intel Core i7 3820 OC@ 4.0 GHz
Motherboard Asus P9X79
Cooling Noctua NH-L12
Memory Corsair Vengeance 32GB 1333MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire ATI Radeon RX 480 8GB
Storage Samsung SSD: 970 EVO 1TB, 2x870 EVO 250GB,860 Evo 250GB,850 Evo 250GB, WD 4x1TB, 2x2TB, 4x4TB
Display(s) Asus PB328Q 32' 1440p@75hz
Case Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper
Power Supply Corsair HX750, HX550, Galaxy 520W
Mouse Multiple, Razer Mamba Elite, Logitech M500
Keyboard Multiple - Lenovo, HP, Dell, Logitech
Thank god I got the last of the 4TB EFRX REDs just weeks before the last stock was sold out in my country. Perhaps only smaller sites/sellers still may have some stock but it's dwindling down.

I just don't have the budget for the professional CMR drives at +300€ ranges so these should do. SMR is really like only for data that keeps sitting for very long time which is infact what I'm doing, archiving, but if write speed is so slow then I'd be making my archives for 3 months, I don't have that time to sit around and spin wheels sorry, plus I move my archives around other archival drives, update and replace files with newer versions, recoded ones (video transcoding), use it for temporary files, etc so I would be doing a bunch of writing operations.

Exactly.

The color tiers got totally mixed up now, post 2018 there's no more green line, lowest is blue, CMRs, if they're actually better than old greens I don't really know at this point.

I got WD40EZRZ now, which is the new blues, I don't think they're exactly the same old greens but they probably would be in the green category so they kinda count as green, but they're CMR so I got this one, I can confirm it's not SMR, I got it on purpose just to test (plus I need more data anyway and I'll put less important stuff on these green/blues)

However ... this whole thing is already at least showing some results even before the trial actually started, ... so the old classic RED line is being phased out of the CMR 2-3-4-6 TB sizes ... but thankfully it's combing to the RED Plus line, so that's encouraging, the price of SMR has to go down, not the price of CMR going up, which is kind of what usually happens when cheaper techs get introduced it kinda bumps existing stuff up as this is a common corporation practice, but we'll see.

Last edited:
System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64

Just look at this graph for an explanation: https://www.statista.com/statistics/398951/global-shipment-figures-for-hard-disk-drives/

In 2010, an all-time high of ~650 million HDDs were shipped.
Less than a decade later (2018) that number has nearly halved to ~375 million.
By 2022 it's expected to be under 300 million units per year.

Hard drive sales, particularly in the consumer market, are tanking as SSD capacities come up and prices come down. HDD manufacturers can see that the light at the end of the tunnel is a train coming straight for them, so they're doing their level best to exploit what's left of their market while they can.

SMR and all these other clever tricks are only delaying the inevitable. By the end of this decade I expect HDDs to be viewed in the same manner as tape drives of yesteryear.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Just look at this graph for an explanation: https://www.statista.com/statistics/398951/global-shipment-figures-for-hard-disk-drives/

In 2010, an all-time high of ~650 million HDDs were shipped.
Less than a decade later (2018) that number has nearly halved to ~375 million.
By 2022 it's expected to be under 300 million units per year.

Hard drive sales, particularly in the consumer market, are tanking as SSD capacities come up and prices come down. HDD manufacturers can see that the light at the end of the tunnel is a train coming straight for them, so they're doing their level best to exploit what's left of their market while they can.

SMR and all these other clever tricks are only delaying the inevitable. By the end of this decade I expect HDDs to be viewed in the same manner as tape drives of yesteryear.

The market for low capacity hard drives has already pretty much dried up. I wouldn't buy a HDD in any less than 3TB these days. And that size is just going to keep going up as SSDs get cheaper, like you said.

System Name R2V2 *In Progress
Processor Ryzen 7 2700
Motherboard Asrock X570 Taichi
Cooling W2A... water to air
Memory G.Skill Trident Z3466 B-die
Video Card(s) Radeon VII repaired and resurrected
Storage Adata and Samsung NVME
Display(s) Samsung LCD
Case Some ThermalTake
Audio Device(s) Asus Strix RAID DLX upgraded op amps
Power Supply Seasonic Prime something or other
So this is how WD is clearly marking the SMR drives...

They aren't marking them as anything... That's honest and clear...

System Name boomer--->zoomer not your typical millenial build
Processor i5-760 @ 3.8ghz + turbo ~goes wayyyyyyyyy fast cuz turboooooz~
Motherboard P55-GD80 ~best motherboard ever designed~
Cooling NH-D15 ~double stack thot twerk all day~
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix LP ~memory gone AWOL~
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970 ~*~GOLDEN EDITION~*~ RAWRRRRRR
Storage 500GB Samsung 850 Evo (OS X, *nix), 128GB Samsung 840 Pro (W10 Pro), 1TB SpinPoint F3 ~best in class
Display(s) ASUS VW246H ~best 24" you've seen *FULL HD* *1O80PP* *SLAPS*~
Case FT02-W ~the W stands for white but it's brushed aluminum except for the disgusting ODD bays; *cries*
Audio Device(s) A LOT
Power Supply 850W EVGA SuperNova G2 ~hot fire like champagne~
Mouse CM Spawn ~cmcz R c00l seth mcfarlane darawss~
Keyboard CM QF Rapid - Browns ~fastrrr kees for fstr teens~
Software integrated into the chassis
Benchmark Scores 9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999
Thank god I got the last of the 4TB EFRX REDs just weeks before the last stock was sold out in my country. Perhaps only smaller sites/sellers still may have some stock but it's dwindling down.

I just don't have the budget for the professional CMR drives at +300€ ranges so these should do. SMR is really like only for data that keeps sitting for very long time which is infact what I'm doing, archiving, but if write speed is so slow then I'd be making my archives for 3 months, I don't have that time to sit around and spin wheels sorry, plus I move my archives around other archival drives, update and replace files with newer versions, recoded ones (video transcoding), use it for temporary files, etc so I would be doing a bunch of writing operations.

Exactly.

The color tiers got totally mixed up now, post 2018 there's no more green line, lowest is blue, CMRs, if they're actually better than old greens I don't really know at this point.
I appreciate your deliberation, but I really hope you aren’t putting these SMR drives in a RAID and, in any case, make sure to follow the 3-2-1 rule!

Guys you're missing the big picture here. Despite the backlash and ongoing class action lawsuit WD will continue marketing SMR drives for NAS. I don't care how they dress this and for how low intensity workloads they say these SMR drives are - they need to stop. No SMR for ANY NAS use case. Period.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
If anything makes me upset, it's this. It's a damn shame too because I like WD.

System Name 2nd AMD puppy
Processor FX-8350 vishera
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper TX2
Memory 16 Gb DDR3:8GB Kingston HyperX Beast + 8Gb G.Skill Sniper(by courtesy of tabascosauz &TPU)
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+;1450/2000 Mhz
Storage SSD :840 pro 128 Gb;Iridium pro 240Gb ; HDD 2xWD-1Tb
Display(s) Benq XL2730Z 144 Hz freesync
Case NZXT 820 PHANTOM
Audio Device(s) Audigy SE with Logitech Z-5500
Power Supply Riotoro Enigma G2 850W
Mouse Razer copperhead / Gamdias zeus (by courtesy of sneekypeet & TPU)
Keyboard MS Sidewinder x4
Software win10 64bit ltsc
Benchmark Scores irrelevant for me
they better leave all stickers white and end-user will have the option to paint them in what color they want :roll:

System Name Multiple - Win7, Win10, Kubuntu
Processor Intel Core i7 3820 OC@ 4.0 GHz
Motherboard Asus P9X79
Cooling Noctua NH-L12
Memory Corsair Vengeance 32GB 1333MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire ATI Radeon RX 480 8GB
Storage Samsung SSD: 970 EVO 1TB, 2x870 EVO 250GB,860 Evo 250GB,850 Evo 250GB, WD 4x1TB, 2x2TB, 4x4TB
Display(s) Asus PB328Q 32' 1440p@75hz
Case Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper
Power Supply Corsair HX750, HX550, Galaxy 520W
Mouse Multiple, Razer Mamba Elite, Logitech M500
Keyboard Multiple - Lenovo, HP, Dell, Logitech
I appreciate your deliberation, but I really hope you aren’t putting these SMR drives in a RAID and, in any case, make sure to follow the 3-2-1 rule!

Oh yeah, no RAID in this case. Budget :(

Whether they clarify or not, the damage is done. I feel more people look up to WD when it comes to providing a more reliable drive than Seagate, especially so when it is used in NAS. But the bait and switch tactic they employed here is certainly going to erode some of the goodwill they build up. They should have been very clear at the onset, or simply create another model/ color to differentiate it. It is sad that they are looking for all sorts of way to cut cost, to the tune of silently switching NAS drive and even one of the WD Black (high end consumer drive) drive to start using SMR.

System Name boomer--->zoomer not your typical millenial build
Processor i5-760 @ 3.8ghz + turbo ~goes wayyyyyyyyy fast cuz turboooooz~
Motherboard P55-GD80 ~best motherboard ever designed~
Cooling NH-D15 ~double stack thot twerk all day~
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix LP ~memory gone AWOL~
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970 ~*~GOLDEN EDITION~*~ RAWRRRRRR
Storage 500GB Samsung 850 Evo (OS X, *nix), 128GB Samsung 840 Pro (W10 Pro), 1TB SpinPoint F3 ~best in class
Display(s) ASUS VW246H ~best 24" you've seen *FULL HD* *1O80PP* *SLAPS*~
Case FT02-W ~the W stands for white but it's brushed aluminum except for the disgusting ODD bays; *cries*
Audio Device(s) A LOT
Power Supply 850W EVGA SuperNova G2 ~hot fire like champagne~
Mouse CM Spawn ~cmcz R c00l seth mcfarlane darawss~
Keyboard CM QF Rapid - Browns ~fastrrr kees for fstr teens~
Software integrated into the chassis
Benchmark Scores 9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999
What makes it truly insane is that they were totally aware of the issue. As serve the home has pointed out, a rep gave a talk at a ZFS conference on why not to use SMR in 2015. All of the marketing materials I ever read when they came out said they were for custom applications (host managed) and archival use.

This reminds me of another user who passionately refused to accept the possibility of an class action lawsuit aginst WD due to this whole mess and tried every way to justify WD's actions. He seems very quiet now...

File under 'We're sorry....we got caught'
So, basically WD tiers the Reds as:
- not really a Red, but you pay for one anyway;
- not really a Red again, but you pay extra for a desktop-class with CMR;
- actual Red for real NAS usage, but you pay a kidney for one, just because profit margins;

Attachments

• 678828.jpg
    678828.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 210
  • 678828.jpg
    678828.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 200
  • 678828.jpg
    678828.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 197