• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Western Digital Unveils WD Black 750 SE NVMe SSD: Budget PCIe 4.0

System Name AMDream v2.6.2
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D+TechN AM4, CO-30 all cores
Motherboard Asus Prime B550-Plus w. PCIe USB 3.0/3.1 case connectors card
Cooling 2x240 slim rads, 1x420mm slim rad, 4xEK Vardar Evo RGB, stock case fans
Memory 2x8GB RGB+2x8GB non-RGB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 CL16
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900XT Reference+Alphacool waterblock+Kryosheet
Storage 2TB SK Hynix Platinum P41+Eluteng NVMe heatsink
Display(s) Xiaomi Mi 2k Gaming Monitor 27” (1440p165 IPS)+VESA arm
Case Lian Li Lancool III White ARGB
Audio Device(s) Creative Inspire P380
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Steelseries Rival original (white), Steelseries Qck+ mousepad
Keyboard Keychron K5 (white backlight, blue Gateron Low Profile switches)
Software Windows 11 Pro
The controller dictates whether it's a PCIe 3.0 or 4.0 drive. @Maxx confirms that WD are using a Phison E19T controller rather than their usual Marvell controller, possibly due to supply issues with the Marvell ones.

The pricing seems to be in line with similar-performing PCIe 3.0 drives, and a PCIe 4.0 drive can work in a PCIe 3.0 slot without any problems so why worry about it - 3600MB/s reads are very slightly higher than the ~3500MB/s reads that PCIe 3.0 tops out at. It's not much of an increase, but why reject free performance increases if they don't have any other downsides?
The main thing is: why going with all the “troubles” (mainly controller and PCB routing for signal integrity) for making a PCIe 4.0 drive with the performance of a 3.0 one?
Also, is it me or this SSD “smells” like it has a 4.0 x2 link, which means that in a 3.0 mobo it’s capped at about ~1700mb/s (not very slow, especially compared to SATA drives)? Of course, from an user POV, it doesn’t matter in 99% of cases, and I can confirm that because I switched from a PCIe 3.0 platform (2700x, X470, 8200 pro 1tb) to a 4.0 one (5600x, B550, SN850 1tb) and it didn’t speed up any game level loading where the hugely better ST score of my new CPU isn’t helpful at all.
Also, I didn’t need to upgrade to a 4.0 drive, but I sold it for a great price along with the rest of my parts as the beginning of a 2-phase modernization of my rig, since newer games will benefit from a super speedy drive (DirectStorage), even if they’ll work just fine with a 3.0 one.