• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What are you playing?

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Witchers have signs, not magic per se. There's only five signs and the only I used liberally was Quen (barrier/shield that deflects a hit). You always have a very small pool to use signs so they can never be your #1 option.

Problem with Fable is the sequels are only on Xbox. They're actually worth playing too, so it's a shame you can only play the first on PC.

edit: Same with the Halos. I don't get it.
Only Fable II was exclusive and, afaik, Fable III was pretty much the same but better.

Talking about it is making me want to replay Fable. Haven't done a naked/untouchable boast in forever. :roll: You can get the best bow very early in the game...if you're willing to sacrifice innocents. >:D

Last edited:
System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte x570 Gaming X
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory Corsair LPX 3600 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6800 XT (reference)
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Samsung CFG70, Samsung NU8000 TV
Case Corsair C70
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Win 10 Pro
Hmm Fable keeps cropping up on my radar these days, had a good time with the original on the old Xbox but haven't touched it since then. Been playing Skyrim to death lately and don't really want to stop. Picked up The Witcher 2 since everyone seems to love the series, I can see why, having played the first game quite a while back I enjoyed it as far as I remember, however the second just can't hold my attention like Skyrim, for me it's just not quite the same having to do certain things that I don't want to, the magic aspect especially, never been a fan and would much prefer the game if I could playthrough with as little as possible.

I don't blame you. I love Skyrim too.. Was actually about to get started recently, but ran into a snag. Now will wait just a little bit to see if a mod I need gets an update. If not, whatever (problem is I'd prefer starting the game fresh with it fixed).

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Although, before I go...StrayKAT...if you've never played any of the Thief games, which would you tackle first?

My personal favourite is The Metal Age. It took everything the first game did right and improved on it, and it cut away the bad things. Deadly Shadows wasn't bad, but the area design (every map is parted into small areas) is really holding the game back. It's the same as Deus Ex: Invisible War, but the problem is more profound here IMO. The second level of The Metal aAge is still one of my all time favourite missions in gaming. Huge, and you have purely selfish goals. None of that in Deadly Shdows, which chop up the game into tiny areas and it has huge loading times even on SSDs (if it's anything like Invisible War). The mod mentioned says it improves loading speeds a bit, but I cant imagine it being non-intrusive.

The new Thief isn't Thief at all.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
Or at least pull him back into the creative process.

It doesn't sound like he'll even get that chance. That one slip of his in an interview was very telling.. Where he said he felt like he sold his kids to "slavers" (link). Everyone got up in arms about it, and just went SJW on him for it instead. lol.

I, for one, liked the prequels. I know they have cheesy parts, but overall they were cool to me. But the harsh criticism is what broke him (and stupid documentaries like "George Lucas vs the Fans"). By breaking him, it went into the hands of something worse.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Windows 10 Pro
Someone just needs to give Star Wars back to George Lucas, period. /unrelated

Considering what people think about the prequels i think you are utterly alone in thinking that. Why do they need to do that?

It doesn't sound like he'll even get that chance. That one slip of his in an interview was very telling.. Where he said he felt like he sold his kids to "slavers" (link. Everyone got up in arms about it, but it was true.

I, for one, liked the prequels. I know they have cheesy parts, but overall they were cool to me. But the harsh criticism is what broke him (and stupid documentaries like "George Lucas vs the Fans"). By breaking him, it went into the hands of something worse.

Ah ok. I agree the prequels were largely fine, but Disney is in no way worse IMO, and neither are the new movies.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
Considering what people think about the prequels i think you are utterly alone in thinking that. Why do they need to do that?

Ah ok. I agree the prequels were largely fine, but Disney is in no way worse IMO, and neither are the new movies.

I think they're definitely worse. And they manage to do it by actually recreating the exact archetypes (just presenting them in worse ways.. like Han becoming the new Obi, Luke becoming Yoda, etc). And "Luke's" counterpart (Daisy) actually had growth and character development. He wasn't even that great of a Jedi! The only thing that he ended up winning with was his heart.. finally turning his dad away from evil. An "instant hero" he was not. Hell, the most iconic scene is one of him getting his ass kicked ("I am your father"). This was an overall greater message.. and the whole trilogy a greater message about failure and family (even Daisy's character doesn't have the family bit going for her! She's completely mysterious and badass for no reason. There's no character here. None). And for all of Lucas' faults, he never once repeated himself. He didn't reuse the same gags or archetypes. Every one of his films explored something new. Even if a bit convoluted for their own good (like the first prequel opens up with the main premise on Trade Wars and such.. I think that went completely over people's heads.. especially kids. But I'll give him credit for trying something different).

edit: Speaking of, someone with that big of a heart wouldn't become such a loser like he did in Last Jedi. That was Mark Hammill's complaint too. He said himself that Luke would never do any of this... but I suppose Mark was contracted at that point. It completely shreds the main thing that character really had going for him.

Jake Skywalker lmao

Last edited:

Ahhzz

Staff member
System Name OrangeHaze / Silence
Processor i7-13700KF / i5-10400 /
Motherboard ROG STRIX Z690-E / MSI Z490 A-Pro Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H75 / TT ToughAir 510
Memory 64Gb GSkill Trident Z5 / 32GB Team Dark Za 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2070 / Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X 4Gb
Storage Hynix Plat P41 2Tb\Samsung MZVL21 1Tb / Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb
Display(s) 22" Dell Wide/24" Asus
Case Lian Li PC-101 ATX custom mod / Antec Lanboy Air Black & Blue
Audio Device(s) SB Audigy 7.1
Power Supply Corsair Enthusiast TX750
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless / Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard K68 RGB — CHERRY® MX Red
Software Win10 Pro \ RIP:Win 7 Ult 64 bit
Problem with Fable is the sequels are only on Xbox. They're actually worth playing too, so it's a shame you can only play the first on PC.

edit: Same with the Halos. I don't get it.
Fable 3 is a PC version.... I was selected for the Fable Legends beta....had definite potential, hated seeing Lionhead close....

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
Fable 3 is a PC version.... I was selected for the Fable Legends beta....had definite potential, hated seeing Lionhead close....

Ah.. I missed that. Still, even weirder that we get 1 and 3, but not 2.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Windows 10 Pro
TBH ... I don't care much for the original movies as well. They're good, but overrated. The prequels are underrated (except Phantom Menace). The new ones are decent. And that is as far as my musings go. The only thing I want from Star Wars is Kotor 3 made by Obsidian and a new Jedi Knight.

Anyway, my quest for welsh local dominance has hit a serious snag. One of my lords has quietly and luckily amassed titles, so he holds half of the welsh holdings in Britain. That is bad, but even worse is that he is the sole inheritor of the Kingdom of Germany ... a very powerful entity, and all of his descendants are of the same line. Meaning that the moment the German Queen dies large swaths of Welsh Britain will become german holdings instead. The only way to get those holdings back is through war or a convolated plot where I marry the fourth in line of ascendency (which i did) so that my child will get a claim on the title and then simply assasinate the rest of them. And it's quite hard to plot the assassination of entire german families when you are based in wales. And if you start the plot when they're kids they grow up and have kids themselves before you can enact in the plot, so you have to assasinate the kids too, and so on. Truly impossible. But it's that or essentially eternal war, or Wales and England remaining german ... or become independant, as the larger empires have trouble with stability, especially when someone keeps assassinating their rulers. Figthting the Duke of Gwynedd is hard enough as he's almost as powerful as me (also note that even though my loyal vassals can raise about 4000 men, 2000 of them are located in Castille), but it's infinitely better than fighting the King of Germany.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
TBH ... I don't care much for the original movies as well. They're good, but overrated. The prequels are underrated (except Phantom Menace). The new ones are decent. And that is as far as my musings go. The only thing I want from Star Wars is Kotor 3 made by Obsidian and a new Jedi Knight.

Unfortunately probably not going to happen.. since Drew K kind of "finished" the Revan tale via that MMO Bioware made. That and Bioware themselves is pretty much on their last leg until EA puts them down. Anthem is their last chance.. and you can tell it's not even a true Bioware title. EA has got them shoveling their shit as it is. We've seen this pattern before (Maxis, Westwood, etc).

Not true, a lot of people like the prequels, myself included. It's just that we're not obnoxiously vocal special snowflakes about it. Most of that same group also like the new movies as well. No they don't have the same "feel", but they're still fun adventures that seem faithful to the original vision George Lucas had.
EA has got them shoveling their shit as it is. We've seen this pattern before (Maxis, Westwood, etc).
Very true. In the last 6 or 7 years nearly everything EA touches goes to crap. With every passing year they seem to care less and less about making great games and more about wringing every last dime out of people. If they focused on making great games, they would need to worry about the money because it would fall in their laps..

Back on topic;
Right now I'm playing through Starfox 2 on the SNES Mini. Talk about a game that could have made money. Such a fun adventure!

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
Not true, a lot of people like the prequels, myself included. It's just that we're not obnoxiously vocal special snowflakes about it. Most of that same group also like the new movies. No they don't have the same "feel", but they're still fun adventures that seem faithful to the original vision George Lucas had.

Very true. In the last 6 or 7 years nearly everything EA touches goes to crap. With every passing year they seem to care less and less about making great games and more about wringing every last dime out of people. If they focused on making great games, they would need to worry about the money because it would fall in their laps..

I forgot to add that EA already had the most prime opportunity to make a rocking Star Wars game.. they hired Amy Hennig (Uncharted) and she was working on a Star Wars title...If I recall correctly, she even got some Bioware writers on her team.

Then they canceled it! "Linear single player games are no longer popular." EA is truly screwed in the head. It's no exaggeration.

edit: Not to mention EA got exclusive rights to Star Wars from Disney. So now have not just taken a giant dump on it.. but they locked it up so no one else can use it either.

Last edited:

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Windows 10 Pro
Unfortunately probably not going to happen.. since Drew K kind of "finished" the Revan tale via that MMO Bioware made. That and Bioware themselves is pretty much on their last leg until EA puts them down. Anthem is their last chance.. and you can tell it's not even a true Bioware title. EA has got them shoveling their shit as it is. We've seen this pattern before (Maxis, Westwood, etc).

Honestly Bioware can go bust for all I care. Their last properly good game was Jade Empire. DAO was ok, but not much more than that. Mass Effect is overrated to hell and back.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
Honestly Bioware can go bust for all I care. Their last properly good game was Jade Empire. DAO was ok, but not much more than that. Mass Effect is overrated to hell and back.

Oh, I liked them all. Call me a fanboy :p But far from it now. Love is replaced with loathing.

But like I said, even without Bioware or Visceral (Hennig's team), Star Wars games are pretty much hijacked by EA.. and they won't do anything except another Battlefront, I imagine. You don't hire Amy Hennig, then fire her.... then release another attempt at a Star Wars RPG/Action/Adventure title.

Then they canceled it! "Linear single player games are no longer popular."
Rubbish, there are a ton of people that ONLY play single player games. EA is trying to push their own messed up business model on everyone. And a growing amount of the gaming public is having none of it.
EA is truly screwed in the head. It's no exaggeration.
Agreed.
Battlefront
a Star Wars RPG/Action/Adventure title.
Can't agree with that though. Battlefront was an FPS, plain and simple.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
Rubbish, there are a ton of people that ONLY play single player games. EA is trying to push their own messed up business model on everyone. And a growing amount of the gaming public is having none of it.

Agreed.

Can't agree with that though. Battlefront was an FPS, plain and simple.

Yeah, I'm saying they'll release another FPS/multiplayer title at best. Any hope of them releasing any kind of single player game died with Visceral.

wisla

Immortal ESO for me. The best game. Great community which is just awesome. Several ways to farming and earn by trading items.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Photo opportunities in GR:Wildlands - the weather simulator. Ansel at its finest...

See that tiny dude on the church roof? :p

8K native > 1080p

17.08.38.05 1080p.jpg
17.11.30.23 1080p.jpg
17.25.02.36 1080p.jpg

Processor AMD FX 6300 @ 4.6GHz
Motherboard msi 970A SLI Krait Edition
Cooling COOL IT A.I.O/Be Quiet Dark Rock 3
Memory GSkill Ripjaws DDR3/8GB
Video Card(s) EVGA 650Ti
Storage Colorful 640GB SSD
Case Silverstone Raven RV02
Power Supply XFX450WPro
Photo opportunities in GR:Wildlands - the weather simulator. Ansel at its finest...

See that tiny dude on the church roof? :p

8K native > 1080p

Game looks amazing. I did however try to play it.... un-installed day two. You could get some nice wallpapers out of it though!

Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Game looks amazing. I did however try to play it.... un-installed day two. You could get some nice wallpapers out of it though!

Yeah the gameplay gets old fast. But its fun to infiltrate a base from time to time.

Processor AMD FX 6300 @ 4.6GHz
Motherboard msi 970A SLI Krait Edition
Cooling COOL IT A.I.O/Be Quiet Dark Rock 3
Memory GSkill Ripjaws DDR3/8GB
Video Card(s) EVGA 650Ti
Storage Colorful 640GB SSD
Case Silverstone Raven RV02
Power Supply XFX450WPro
Yeah the gameplay gets old fast. But its fun to infiltrate a base from time to time.

I actually loved the gear customization! I have a little knowledge in that field and they did a superb job with the different types of clothing and gear, just a nice little touch for those that care. What I couldn't do was listen to that horrible, unfunny, cheesey dialogue that would crop up mid-travel, absolutely terrible. And this time, missed it by a mile, attempting to nail "military humour" and just ending up on stupid. To be fair, in itself, hilarious at times. :laugh:

And then there's the devs willy waving at you everytime you get a new mission and the marker is on the opposite side of the map, look how big it is!!

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
I actually loved the gear customization! I have a little knowledge in that field and they did a superb job with the different types of clothing and gear, just a nice little touch for those that care. What I couldn't do was listen to that horrible, unfunny, cheesey dialogue that would crop up mid-travel, absolutely terrible. And this time, missed it by a mile, attempting to nail "military humour" and just ending up on stupid. To be fair, in itself, hilarious at times. :laugh:

And then there's the devs willy waving at you everytime you get a new mission and the marker is on the opposite side of the map, look how big it is!!

Hahah I totally feel you. Those voice overs between the team members during mission isnt too bad IMO, but all the rest is terrible.

Solution: don't do missions, just free roam and get those medals and guns ;)

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Rise of the Tomb Raider has QTEs at the end. I missed one and because I'm on Survivor Extreme, I have to replay about 30 minutes worth to get back to it. There's been four or five points this game has been very, very frustrating and all of them were due to bad game design (basically QTEs without being obvious so you have to guess what key you're supposed to push when and should you fail, game over).

If Tomb Raider was 5/10, Rise of the Tomb Raider is 6/10. It's better, but barely.