• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What do you do for a living?

WinterM

I'm 37 years old and I have no idea what em I doing with my life. I have no direction. I tried many jobs, but no carrier. Right now I work as a junior networking technician. Basically many cables and holes in the wall with minimum hardware configuration. In the long term...who knows how many years I can keep doing this.

Maybe you guys are more successful. We will love to hear your great success stories. But maybe you are just like me. And since we don't have a face, there is no shame. If you also suck at life at my age, come and tell your story and share how you make your money.
You experience for me and for the rest will be for sure a learning curve.
A lot of people have this happen, and some call the next phase a "second act".
So I've been in tech on the development/delivery side for years. Along the way I did corporate training sessions, videos, etc., and that got me interested in voiceover, so that became my second act in my 40s. I now do both tech work and VO and love having a second job that's so fun. Most of my work is audiobooks right now but I'm working towards Video Game VO.

It's still tons of work, takes time, and costs money to ramp up, but I see it now as my retirement job, where I can one day leave tech, just do VO, and be more in control of my own hours.

I did a lot of other jobs along the way too - if you think of the stuff you did, and then imagine something you'd love to do, maybe your "second act" will come to you. For example, a lot of people love the idea of home theater or great tech-connected homes, but could use your help with the "many cables and holes in the wall" part, and you could do people's setups for them.

Anyhow, thanks for putting this here!

System Name Gamey #1 / #2
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Core i7-9700F
Motherboard Asrock B450M P4 / Asrock B360M P4
Cooling IDCool SE-226-XT / CM Hyper 212
Memory 32GB 3200 CL16 / 32GB 2666 CL14
Video Card(s) PC 6800 XT / Chineseium RTX 2060 Super
Storage 4TB Team MP34 / 512G Toshiba RD400+2TB WD3D Blue
Display(s) LG 32GK650F 1440p 144Hz VA
Case Corsair 4000Air / CM N200
Audio Device(s) Dragonfly Black
Power Supply EVGA 650 G3 / Corsair CX550M
Mouse JSCO JNL-101k Noiseless
Keyboard Steelseries Apex 3 TKL
Software Win 10, Throttlestop
Maybe. All I know is, success in career doesn't interest me the slightest. It used to, but then I noticed how much others in the business had to graft to get and stay where they are, and how little they earn in comparison. Of course, they earn more than I do, but not so much more to make it worth the trouble. I'd much rather live a peaceful, comfortable life than break myself to earn more.

Edit: Happiness is not a list of achievements, imo. It's about being happy with what you have. :)

This this 100% this. That's why I'm still a single step from the bottom of our IT org chart. I looked at what was needed and how that was compensated from the next tiers up and said it ain't worth it.

Before my dad died (a workaholic because he grew up dirt poor and didn't want his family to be the same) said that it seemed I was doing the right thing and easing off is a better strategy. He retired because of corp BS and afterwards said he should have done so much earlier.

The BS ain't worth it.

System Name Nebulon-B Mk. 4
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 7800 XT
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.
This this 100% this. That's why I'm still a single step from the bottom of our IT org chart. I looked at what was needed and how that was compensated from the next tiers up and said it ain't worth it.

Before my dad died (a workaholic because he grew up dirt poor and didn't want his family to be the same) said that it seemed I was doing the right thing and easing off is a better strategy. He retired because of corp BS and afterwards said he should have done so much earlier.

The BS ain't worth it.
One step above the bottom is the best place to be, imo. As a warehouse trainer, that's where I am, too. Actually, training isn't even on the main organisational ladder of the business - we're what you'd call a "support function". Sure, we fulfill shift demands, but we don't respond directly to shift management. We have our own manager, but he's just there for support - we sort out our own daily activities ourselves, unless there's something pre-planned by high above, like new workers arriving. This freedom is worth infinitely more than a higher salary.

System Name Red Cute Pet xD
Processor AMD Ryzen™ 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus B650E-E ROG Strix
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE
Memory Acer Predator Vesta II 32GB (16GB * 2) DDR5 6000MT/s CL30-38-38-76
Video Card(s) Yeston GeForce RTX 4060 8GB Cute Pet Edition
Display(s) Acer Predator X35 G-Sync Ultimate
Case Lian-Li O11 Air Mini Black-Mesh
Power Supply Toughpower GF3 1200W Gold - TT Premium Edition
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero wired
VR HMD Nope NOpe NOPE
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores Nothing special...Yet.
The last couple of posts had a lot of insights, emotions and life experience in them. Seeing older gurus sharing their experience to younger folks and giving them such advice is priceless.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
The last couple of posts had a lot of insights, emotions and life experience in them. Seeing older gurus sharing their experience to younger folks and giving them such advice is priceless.
They've also been going in one direction only.
But there are also those that actually do something meaningful and they like what they do. When that happens, you will work without ever feeling you're working. It's rare though. And there's a high risk of you just thinking you're doing something meaningful, sinking in putting in the hours, only to find out the project is really a joke. Still the world should be: you work to live, you don't live to work.

System Name Nebulon-B Mk. 4
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 7800 XT
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.
But there are also those that actually do something meaningful and they like what they do. When that happens, you will work without ever feeling you're working. It's rare though. And there's a high risk of you just thinking you're doing something meaningful, sinking in putting in the hours, only to find out the project is really a joke. Still the world should be: you work to live, you don't live to work.
Without saying that such an approach is wrong, I should add that there's always the danger of the necessity of working killing the enjoyment of doing the work. For example, I like gaming and discussing games, but if I had to play all the latest games for 8 hours a day, regardless of how interesting they are, while also making sure to finish them for a deadline, and then write articles about them, also for a deadline, I'd burn out in a year. Combining work and your hobby sounds awesome, and I highly respect those who manage to do it, but on contrary to popular belief, it's not for everyone.

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
You pretty much summed it up there, balance, not just at work but everywhere in life is the key to happiness and fulfilment and often that can take time/effort/sacrifice to achieve............... many don't achieve it, often through no fault of their own.

Still the world should be: you work to live, you don't live to work.
Damned straight.

Another axiom that is part of my philosophy is to never let the things you own own you. Materialism is how they enslave you. While I think Dave Ramsey is a bit of a douchebag, I think it was he that expressed it as - You wake up and go to a job you hate, to make money to buy things you can't afford, to impress people you don't even like.

Mad Men was such a great show. Advertising and marketing are insidious. The way they get so many people to attach their sense of self worth to their possessions. My personal litmus test for whether or not my neighbors succumbed to it is if they can park their cars in their garage. Only one other house on the entire street of 40 homes can. A couple have made it workshops or exercise rooms, so that's cool. The rest have to use it as mini storage for all of the extra crap they have accumulated through rampant consumerism. Good luck with that. That's a hard no from me dawg.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Without saying that such an approach is wrong, I should add that there's always the danger of the necessity of working killing the enjoyment of doing the work. For example, I like gaming and discussing games, but if I had to play all the latest games for 8 hours a day, regardless of how interesting they are, while also making sure to finish them for a deadline, and then write articles about them, also for a deadline, I'd burn out in a year. Combining work and your hobby sounds awesome, and I highly respect those who manage to do it, but on contrary to popular belief, it's not for everyone.
I understand what you're saying, but I don't think you worded this quite right.
"working killing the enjoyment of doing the work" - if you really enjoy what you're doing, there's very little danger of that. There's burnout if you don't pace yourself though.
Also playing and developing games are two very different activities. But I get you. I am both a (former) gamer and a software developer and I have said from the start that I won't do game development, because that would take the fun out of gaming. I mean, it's not like everybody enjoying sex becomes a gynecologist, is it?