• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What is best way to extend range of a wifi that 100 meters far from my house?

Status
Not open for further replies.

olrett

Hi all,

Reviving this old thread because it came up while I searched for "wifi 100 m" and because I think you will be able to advise.

What I need: To extend home wifi network to 100 m to serve outdoor wifi cameras (running on batteries) that are monitoring sheep and goats.

Cameras are 2,4; router is dual band.

I have already tried plugging a Fritz extender in a socket on the outside the house, and it's a great device - only it doesn't reach quite all the way.

Hence I was looking for a "real" outdoor thing, sturdy, IP66, grounded, to install on a pole a distance away from the house which might even provide me with a wider coverage (ideally with a 50-100 m radius). Our winters are not particularly cold, max. -8°C, the summers are getting hotter; this year 48°C in the sun on the brick wall of the house.

Obviously such a device needs to be powered, and PoE is practically the best (only?) pratical way. Unless anyone knows of a battery/solar operated model?

I've already purchased 100m of cat 6a cable for burial, for a different purpose, which I could use... I don't really want to dig 80m of trench through roots and rocks and ditch the wifi cameras for PoE ones. Also because that wouldn't provide me with camera coverage elsewhere (sheep and goats don't stay put all year round, they get moved around from one place to another, and so are the cameras).

So 2,4 wifi it should be, PoE running from the router (on first floor) to the extender.

Alternatively, if powered by 220V, no PoE, I could run a power cord from the barn to it. But then it should be a dual band extender (it would comunicate with the cameras in 2,4 and with the router in the house in 5). But is an extender enough? Should it rather be a second router instead?

You may probably already have guessed that I have no inkling of communication IT...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.