• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

what makes a Mac not a PC?

GJSNeptune

Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Black Edition
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-MA770-DS3
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 (with Scythe SFF21E)
Memory 2x1GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CAS4 DHX
Video Card(s) PALiT 9800GTX 512MB PCI-E
Storage WD2500AAKS, WD1600YS, WD1200JD, WD400EB
Display(s) LG L1920P, Viewsonic VA520
Case Lian-Li A05b (with two 120mm Yate Loon D12SM)
Power Supply Corsair HX520
Software Vista Business 32-bit/XP Pro 32-bit dual-boot
she has been convinced ... that a self built computer is only a PC running a Mac OS and not the same thing as a Mac.

:roll:

A $5000 MAC is a $1000 Dell with a $4000 OS based on a free OS thats had it's guts ripped out so you can only use .5% of the hardware/software out. Apple doesn't manufacture or design there hardware, foxcon does. All they do is design minimalist cases that are impossible to work in but look good with your Akia sofa. There for people who get confused by options and buy things based on looks as opposed to price/proformance. I don't blam people for just wanting to turn it on and do the few this want with no hassel but to pay more for less is just stupid. Get a Eee and save a buck.

unsmart, you really are unintelligent.

A $5000 Mac Pro is a $7500 Dell workstation, with components optimised by Apple for their OS, but still with some type of compatibility in mind, and the best OS around, already installed, and with the ability to install all other major OSes alongside, and hell, even get them to work at the same time (VMWare Parallels).

The MacBook when released was extremely good value for money. It was actually cheaper than most similarly priced laptops, back in '06, but it has now been surpassed, yes, but considering that Apple might be planning a refresh, I do believe they might have a cheaper notebook up their sleeves (considering the lower-priced laptop market is bustling, Apple will likely want to target that area, for people that want a Mac, but can't afford it).

The MacBook Air IS expensive, but to be fair, it's almost a one-of-a-kind product. Try to find another notebook that is that thin, that light, and still has space for a 13" screen, and you will be hard pressed. Even if there was competition, the price would be similar, as the components would mostly be very similar, and manufacturing lower-powered processors means picking the best cores, which could be 1 batch in every 5, or something else as silly.

Apple started with hardware and software custom designed by them, read the history. They managed to make motherboards with almost half the components of other manufacturers, cutting cost, time to manufacture and the price to the consumer. Their original ideals mayh not quite have survived on through to this day, but they still try to make things as minimalistic as possible.

I am by no means a hardcore Apple advocate and user, but I do enjoy their products (the Sawtooth by my side is brilliant, still pretty quick for its age, even when running under a modern OS), and hate when people knock their products without knowing anything about them. Oh, and having one single bad experience with a product shouldn't take away from enjoying a product from a certain company. For example, you might not have good luck with an Antec PSU, but it doesn't mean all of their PSUs, and all of their products will not work well.
Also, yes, it is a bit different to Windows, but no, that shouldn't mean a thing. That's like saying you hate Linux because it's not Windows, even though you're told it's superior. Well remember when you first used a PC? Remember when you couldn't find how to do this and that? Remember how you had to remember a bunch of crap? Well, Macs have that too, when you use one for the first time, get over it, get over yourself, you're not special.

Urm, where the hell was I going with this?

Oh yeah, well, GJSNeptune is right, to be fair, PC stands for Personal Computer, nothing else. An Apple brand computer is a personal computer, therefore a Mac and a PC are one and the same.
Also, companies still use IBM and 80x86 just because the x86 computers we use today stem from it, but it's a trend that's likely to be abandoned soon. The last few times I read IBM-PC compatible or 80x86 anywhere on a box, or requirements, etc. was on an ancient box of floppy discs I had laying about.

System Name :3
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 - 3ghz
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Dynamic Energy Saver Ultra Durable II Intel Motherboard
Cooling cm 212 EVO
Memory G.SKILL 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model
Video Card(s) BFG GTX 275
Storage WD black 500gb Samsung 1tb
Display(s) 27" 1366x768 Olevia 527v
Case Antec Three Hundred
Audio Device(s) ALC889
Power Supply CORSAIR TX Series CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Ac
Software Windows 8 pro
google a few parts and it will become clear, like the intel V8 motherboard, those new macs use it, and fully buffered memory [gets hot as hell, is a hair slower than our normal stuff] they have a server socket, so its not 775 its like 751 or something i forget what, but its got the same chips for it, technicly you could make a mac yourself altho it wouldnt be easy, youd have to get a v8 motherboard and a videocard, those 2 things would need to have their firmware haxed, but i think thats the only things that would. the difference between a mac and "PC" imho is something like but even less than the difference between a PC and an xbox[original]

but anyways, you could make a more or less authenticly working mac at home, if you wanted to,...

Ehstii

System Name Betty
Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz @ 3.16(weak i know, waiting on better HSF)
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-MA69G-S3H AM2 690G HDMI
Cooling Standard heatsink
Memory A-DATA 2GB(2x1GB dual channel) DDR2 800
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce 7900GS 256MB
Storage 2x250GB Seagate SataII, 2x250GB Maxtor SataII, 1x120GB Maxtor SataII
Display(s) 22" Widescreen Acer LCD Flat Panel Monitor
Case AMS CF-6129BKS Black w/Silver bezel Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Audio Device(s) OB
Power Supply Rosewill RP550-2-S ATX12V v2.01 550W Power Supply
Software Windows XP SP2, Adobe Master Collection CS3, WoW, COD4, Cubase LE, Office 2007, Bit Comet, & more...
Benchmark Scores 3DMark06 - 4710
search on ebay for an iMac shell/case

mod it to fit normal PC parts in it, build it, than sell it to her for a little bit cheaper than what she would be paying apple.

it will cost you around 1500 charger her 1k less than what apple would charge.lol

than you can upgrade your computer with the extra $$cash|money$$ :toast:

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
PC = personal computer. A Mac is a personal computer. The only difference is the brand name. You may build a PC that is compatible with the OSX but that doesnt make it a Mac, it makes it a PC running OSX. As you can see, Apple has spent hundreds of millions on tricking consumers into believing that a Mac is not a PC. It is a PC, but its simply its own brand of PC using something other than Windows.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Pro Wifi II
Cooling Hyper 212 EVO v2
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR4-4000
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6750 XT
Storage WD Black SN850 2TB, various other SSD's from ages past
Display(s) LG 27GL850 1440@144, AG Neovo EM2701QC 1440@75
Case Zophos EVO Silent by Raijintek
Audio Device(s) HyperX Cloud II Wireless headphones
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse ProtoArc EM01
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow X Chroma Mercury
Software Windows 11 Pro
search on ebay for an iMac shell/case

mod it to fit normal PC parts in it, build it, than sell it to her for a little bit cheaper than what she would be paying apple.

it will cost you around 1500 charger her 1k less than what apple would charge.lol

than you can upgrade your computer with the extra $$cash|money$$ :toast:

+1

Even if you make a grand off her, the price/performance would be a hell of a lot better than her buying an iMac

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
+1

Even if you make a grand off her, the price/performance would be a hell of a lot better than her buying an iMac

yea, but remember only certain hardware works with OSX. i believe www.lifehacker.com had an article on this a few months back.

GJSNeptune

Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Black Edition
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-MA770-DS3
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 (with Scythe SFF21E)
Memory 2x1GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CAS4 DHX
Video Card(s) PALiT 9800GTX 512MB PCI-E
Storage WD2500AAKS, WD1600YS, WD1200JD, WD400EB
Display(s) LG L1920P, Viewsonic VA520
Case Lian-Li A05b (with two 120mm Yate Loon D12SM)
Power Supply Corsair HX520
Software Vista Business 32-bit/XP Pro 32-bit dual-boot
But remember it is illegal to run OSX on your non-Mac machine.

bonku

tell her that Mac sucks and if she really wants a Mac

You just go build her something like a water cooled 4GHz C2D OSX installed pc (something that you can buy from Apple)
which is still 2-3 times cheaper than the Mac Pro stuff

i think this is very cool lol :D

make your sister go tell her friends that use Macs that she has a 4GHz MAC

Processor Q9550 @3.8
Motherboard Asus Maximus Extreme
Cooling Custom water cooling
Memory 4GB Patriot Viper DDR3 1600MHz
Video Card(s) 2x HD4870 512MB
Storage 2x 500GB
Display(s) 3x LG L226WTQ 22" Widescreen LCD
Case Modded TJ07
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply PC P&C Silencer 750
Software Windows 7 Ultimate
I suppose it is just clever branding/marketing from Apple,bit like the iPod,you know it is just a mp3 player but the name Mac and iPod still sell..

Well I thought it was clear I was exaggerating for the purpose of humor:wtf: I was pointing out the MAC guy/girl we all know who thinks a MAC is some magic piece of elfin made computing folk art. They would pay any price for it and believe it's far better then any PC could ever be but have no idea why or how that is. I know everyone knows one there most likely and artist type how has to drink only fresh ground organic coffee with steamed soy milk. I'm just exaggerating again so please don't flame me for it.
I really don't see how the "best OS" can also be the least compatible hardware and software wise. In that logic you could say the PS3 is the best OS or your cell phone has the best OS. Also a PC can run almost any OS and with higher hardware/software compatibility, including OSX. Running XP on a MAC you still can't use non Mac hardware but a PC running OSX can use a fair amount of common hardware. Most OEMs would be more then happy to design software/hardware for Apple. Apple wont let them because then they would have all the same issues as MS. Say what you want about MS but you have to respect the work they do to make there OS work in so many configs.
I lost all respect for apple when the switched to a Intel platform and made adds bashing the PC which they had just caved in and became. They where something different but now there just another Intel partner like Dell in my book.
This must be the first post from me you've ever read Ripper if you just figured out I'm not the brightest bulb on the TPU Xmass tree:p

I dunno, sarcasm isn't having the same effect on me as it was last week, I hink I need to go back in for a tune-up, since everything sarcastic people say to me this week has just bounced right off, and I've only perceived the incorrect statement they just said. This is not my week.

Plus, I needed to rant, and just suddenly found this, heh. Didn't think I had written so much crap though.

Anyhow, actually, a Mac running XP can run basically anything that XP supports, as long as it's not incompatible hardware-wise, for example, a Mac Pro inside only has PCI-E slots, no PCI, so therefore, if you wanted to run a PCI card, it would be impossible, whether in OS X or XP, but a PCIe card would work, depending on whether it has drivers for one, or both of the operating systems.
Also, I don't take hardware and software compatibility into much account when saying a certain OS is the best. I feel that as long as I can use the OS and have a bare minimum of software (which now for most people is a web browser, a text editor, and an image viewer, probably with a media player too), that means it's a good enough start, then from there, I see about usability, hackability, and other stuff. Mac OS X for me, is the easiest OS to use, and I am not a master of hacking, no where near, but I like messing about with the terminal, since OS X is based on BSD, it's a fair enough assumption that it's going to be pretty hackable. Other than that, I love the way you install most software, and the simplicity of drivers, along with the included software (fine, they could include a few casual games to complement Chess, but it's not necesarry). Personally, I feel it provides a good mixture of the best flavours of Linux, Unix, BSD, and to some extent, Windows. Plus, it has better compatibility with peripherals and accesories than the *nix OSs, even if internal components are largely restriced in terms of upgrades, by Apple (although upgrading CPUs is now MUCH easier, considering Intel CPUs are available in MUCH higher numbers than PowerPCs, and use a standard Socket P for all Santa Rosa supporting machines, minus the Air, which is of course, soldered on)

Crap, now I forgot where I was going with that. BAH!
See? Not my week.

Last edited:

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
well running windows xp with vmware on a macbook pro yields better performance than a generic dell laptop with the same hardware specs running just windows xp. which begs the question...

Well, I think that's because OS X is doing most of the legwork when it comes to memory access, CPU priorities, and HDD access, and it's pretty damned efficient. I remember testing out classic a while back in Panther, when I had only played with a Mac for a very short time. I was already getting used to OS 9 when I got the Panther discs, and so I did an upgrade. Tried classic, and the performance of OS 9 just increased so much, since it was just making OS X do all the work.

I do remember reading that the MBP was the best performing Windows laptop a while after it was released. People were stupefied, almost all said it was impossible, and that someone was being bribed by Apple, but that would have meant Apple was bribing a lot of reviewers.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
Well, I think that's because OS X is doing most of the legwork when it comes to memory access, CPU priorities, and HDD access, and it's pretty damned efficient. I remember testing out classic a while back in Panther, when I had only played with a Mac for a very short time. I was already getting used to OS 9 when I got the Panther discs, and so I did an upgrade. Tried classic, and the performance of OS 9 just increased so much, since it was just making OS X do all the work.

I do remember reading that the MBP was the best performing Windows laptop a while after it was released. People were stupefied, almost all said it was impossible, and that someone was being bribed by Apple, but that would have meant Apple was bribing a lot of reviewers.

yea, i remember that. it really is genius that apple figured out how to make windows xp run smarter (faster/more effecient) while running OSX. hate apple or not, you have to tip your cap to that one. the next laptop im getting will be a mac.

Processor Core I5 4440 / 4430
Motherboard Asus z87-k / Gigabyte ga h97- d3h
Cooling Arctic freezer / Generic
Memory 8 gb Mushkin / Various
Video Card(s) Radeon 7850 cf / Gtx 690
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 gb / 2x1 terabyte hdds Wd 256 gb nvme
Display(s) Technika 32" / Asus 24` ips
Case Corsair
Audio Device(s) X-fi Titanium
Power Supply Corsair 850 w
Software Windows 10
R u sure you can run osx on a pc ? If so then that would be the cheaper option and higher quality build. Of couse some apple products are very unique and maybe hard to copy.

System Name File Server
Processor 2600k
Motherboard idk
Cooling H110
Memory 20gb of something
Video Card(s) onboard!
Storage 2x120 SSD, (5x8tb)+(3x4tb) = 35 TB Z1 pool
Display(s) couple 4k 32s
Case cooler master something i think
Audio Device(s) does anyone bother with anything but onboard?
Power Supply Whatever OCZ PC Powercooling became. 1200 modular setup
Mouse MX Master 2x
Keyboard G710
Software FreeNAS
R u sure you can run osx on a pc ? If so then that would be the cheaper option and higher quality build. Of couse some apple products are very unique and maybe hard to copy.

yes you can, I have been able to get leopard to run with a p5bdeluxe q6600 and a 3870. THere were drivers available for all of the products also. It worked, didnt really like it though

** OSX is not made to work on PC hardware...... It works with the right version, but it will not work with a legal retail version of OSX

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix

it can be done if you use the specific hardware components and a special boot device. i think there is a big list somehwere of what components are accepted by OSX.

Yeah, look at the Mac Mini, try and copy that with a PC, it's not quite doable yet, even with the nano-ITX boards about, they're running under-powered processors, unforetunately.

I must say, after the first revision of a product, Apple's build quality improves, and it's very good, really.

Yes, you can run OS X on PC, but when I tried it, it went into a kernel panic everytime I tried to install some kexts for my HD 3850. Before I tried to install drivers though, I could run it just fine, connecting to the interblag, running Safari, and hacking in the terminal just fine, but at 1024x768 restriction, becuase of the graphics having no support.

Processor Core I5 4440 / 4430
Motherboard Asus z87-k / Gigabyte ga h97- d3h
Cooling Arctic freezer / Generic
Memory 8 gb Mushkin / Various
Video Card(s) Radeon 7850 cf / Gtx 690
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 gb / 2x1 terabyte hdds Wd 256 gb nvme
Display(s) Technika 32" / Asus 24` ips
Case Corsair
Audio Device(s) X-fi Titanium
Power Supply Corsair 850 w
Software Windows 10
I meant legally

System Name File Server
Processor 2600k
Motherboard idk
Cooling H110
Memory 20gb of something
Video Card(s) onboard!
Storage 2x120 SSD, (5x8tb)+(3x4tb) = 35 TB Z1 pool
Display(s) couple 4k 32s
Case cooler master something i think
Audio Device(s) does anyone bother with anything but onboard?
Power Supply Whatever OCZ PC Powercooling became. 1200 modular setup
Mouse MX Master 2x
Keyboard G710
Software FreeNAS
yes you can, I have been able to get leopard to run with a p5bdeluxe q6600 and a 3870. THere were drivers available for all of the products also. It worked, didnt really like it though

** OSX is not made to work on PC hardware...... It works with the right version, but it will not work with a legal retail version of OSX

updated.....

Ah, well, then no.
It's illegal to run Apple Mac OS X on non-Apple hardware, which is why Apple computers have a TPM chip on-board, and OS X communicates with it, as far as I know, which is one of the big reasons why you can't install an unmodified copy of OS X on a regular PC.

VroomBang

System Name Computer
Processor Wolfdale E8400 stock
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3 FSB 1600MHz
Cooling CPU Xigmatek HDT-S1283 - front stock 12cm - rear Xig XSF-F1251 12cm - side Tacens Aura Pro 12cm
Memory Mushkin Redline DDR2 1000MHz 2x2GB 4-4-4-12 @1.8V
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD 3850 512MB stock
Storage SATA2 Seagate 500MB + IDE WesternDigital 500MB
Display(s) Samsung 19" LCD SyncMaster 193v
Case Jeantech NJX ATX gaming tower case
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Jeantech 600W Arctic Modular JN-600-AP (dual 19a +12v rails )
Software Win XP SP3
Benchmark Scores 3DMark06: 9906 / Super Pi 1M: 15.641 s
but because theres so many differant architectures its designed for (ATI, Nvidia, SiS, Via, Intel, AMD, Cyrix.ect.ect.ect i could go on for ever)

ooooh, Cyrix, my very first cpu! Nostalgy..:p. Ooops, off topic!

Processor Q6600 @ 3600mhz with 1600fsb
Motherboard Asus P5E x38
Cooling Zalman CPU, and 4x120mm fans
Memory 2 gig(2x1gig) Crucial ballistix 4gig(4x2gig) Corsair
Video Card(s) ATI 4850
Storage 150gig Raptorx/wd 320gig/2x raptor 37gig
Display(s) Samsung SnycMaster 906bw/acer 19inch
Case Lian Li PC V1000II
Audio Device(s) Creative SB X-FI
Power Supply 600w Silverstone ATX
Software vista 64, fruityloops, COD4, TF2, HL2
Benchmark Scores 15983 3dmark06