• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What Motivates a Preorder

What do publishers have to offer to get your preorder?

• Gear, Skins, additional games, or other additional Digital goods.

Votes: 13 25.5%
  • Art booklets.

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Physical props ie. busts, figures, etc....

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • Price rebates or other financial incentives

Votes: 21 41.2%
  • I don't purchase preorders. Ever.

Votes: 21 41.2%

• Total voters
System Name i7-PC / HTPC / iMac
Processor i7 3820 / Phenom II 940
Motherboard GIGABYTE G1.ASSASSIN2 / M3A79-T Deluxe
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100i / Scythe II (HS only)
Memory G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600mhz / 4GB DDR2 1066 (@800) Corsair Dominator
Video Card(s) GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB / GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB
Storage 2x 80GB Intel X-25, 2x600gb SATA, 1x1tb 5400RPM storage /1x600GB, 3x500GB,1x160,1x120 SATA
Display(s) 1x 27" Yamakasi / Vizio 42" HDTV
Case Lian Li Lancool PC-K58 / Antec 900
Audio Device(s) HT Omega Striker 7.1 / Onboard and HDMI from ATi Card
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750W / 610W
Software Ubuntu / Windows 8.1 Pro / OS X / PHPStorm / Gaming
If I know I am going to buy the game anyway, and I know I will want it on release date with as few issues as possible, I will preorder. Extras are nice but rarely are the good enough to influence my decision.

I am more likely to wait for release and buy a key from a discount site ;)

A

Azazel

Price usually, but it also depends on the rep of the company.

I would rather wait and pay a little extra for companies I don't like much.

System Name Space Station
Processor Intel 13700K
Motherboard ASRock Z790 PG Riptide
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory Corsair Vengeance 6400 2x16GB @ CL34
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4080
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Display(s) LG C3 OLED 42"
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V371
Power Supply SeaSonic Vertex 1200w Gold
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Software Windows 11 Pro 23H2
Newegg often runs promotions where you get $10 off of a preorder game. Maybe the brick and mortar stores don't do this, but you can find a preorder deal quite often if you actually look for it.
I check Newegg's email promos daily, they don't even do that very often, and when it's $10 off on a $60 PC game, it's usually a worse deal than just finding a site that has a good release price.
? Name a game that is going the traditional distribution method, that required a number of preorders before they committed to release.
Seriously, your examples are not only bad, one has a HUGE fanbase, the others obviously looking for help from fans. There's just too many titles to list that are in jeopardy of being canceled or even the series canned due to poor preorder sales. Medal of Honor and Red Faction being just two of them recently, and those WERE pretty good series originally.
The only game that may qualify is Rayman.
Pffft, wtf?
The question is what gets you to preorder. Do you stand against preorders? Do you disregard the (in your opinion) frivilous extras? Both of these are valid responses to why you would or would not preorder.
The question "What "motivates" a preorder" implies it's a thread for those whom do. If it were a debate thread on whether we think preordering is worthwhile, it should have been titled something like "Do you preorder, and why?"

I check Newegg's email promos daily, they don't even do that very often, and when it's $10 off on a $60 PC game, it's usually a worse deal than just finding a site that has a good release price.Seriously, your examples are not only bad, one has a HUGE fanbase, the others obviously looking for help from fans. There's just too many titles to list that are in jeopardy of being canceled or even the series canned due to poor preorder sales. Medal of Honor and Red Faction being just two of them recently, and those WERE pretty good series originally.Pffft, wtf?The question "What "motivates" a preorder" implies it's a thread for those whom do. If it were a debate thread on whether we think preordering is worthwhile, it should have been titled something like "Do you preorder, and why?"

You obviously want a different question asked. Fine. Ask it in a different thread.

You obviously believe that preorders are a necessity. Fine. You are welcome to your opinions. Somehow they weren't needed in the late eighties, nineties, and new millennium. Only in the last few years have game companies demanded we show our loyalty before they released a finished product. Perhaps next you'd like to preorder your clothing, food, and movies. Good luck with Star Wars episodes I, II, and III. While that may be a low blow, it does highlight the insanity, no?

Games do not get cancelled for not having enough preorders. Why? Let's assume a two year development cycle is about what you're looking at for the average game. In those two years, no game is announced (unless you're Square) until 6-8 months prior to release. So you're looking at over 70% of the time to make a game already invested before a game can be preordered. That kind of investment doesn't get thrown away if the preorders are paltry. The preorders help publishers determine what sales figures might be, and how much extended support is provided (DLC, patches, etc...).

Medal of Honor and Red Faction are not getting canned due to preorders. They are getting canned due to poor sales figures. A brisk preorder may have happened, but actual final sales figures indicate that both of the most recent games did not recoup their costs. Crappy game=poor sales. You want proof, the business times managed to figure it out: http://www.ibtimes.com/ea-admits-medal-honor-warfighter-was-flop-we-shouldve-done-better-1082496.

No level of preorders can save either MoH or Red Faction from being shelved. Preorders are not sales figures. I cited Rayman because Ubisoft said the sales figures for one of their other games would determine if Rayman Origins was released. They hadn't even begun development, so the "preorder" was to buy their other game. A slimy tactic, but the only time I'm even aware of a developer putting it so bluntly.

Now that I've wasted time explaining this, I'm done. You're welcome to the last words on this particular topic. I have a personal bias against preorders, which I was trying not to bring into the discussion. Unfortunately, I don't believe there's a way to convey my point without whipping out articles that I agree with. If you'd like some additional reading peruse Cnet and Kotaku (if Cnet gets it everyone else has been aware of it for 6 months). Peace out, and discussion back on topic.

System Name In the works
Processor 4670k
Motherboard ASUS Z87
Cooling 5x120mm
Memory 8GB Sniper Gskill 1833
Video Card(s) MSI 970 Gaming
Storage 2x 240gb SSD's + 1TB seagate
Display(s) 27" Acer 1920x1080
Case Corsair Carbide 200R
Power Supply OCZ Power 600W Modular
Keyboard Corsait K70 with red switches
Software Win10