• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What's the sweetest spot for gaming the 6, 8, 12 or 16 cores??

Status
Not open for further replies.
System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
Give me 640C/256000T or give me death, hahahaha :roll::respect::fear:

But seriously, 8C/16T should be good for the next few years, depending on how well or how poorly gamedevs write their game code for upcoming releases.....

Speaking of gaming performance, you’re no doubt going to hear nonsense such as "the Ryzen 5 5600X is a poor choice for gamers as it only has 6 cores," and they’ll probably try and prove that by pointing to the new consoles which feature eight Zen 2 cores.
A lot of such people also ignore the fact that consoles often hold back 1 or 2 cores for background tasks, updating, etc. Eg, the last gen "8 core" consoles only made 6 cores available to games initially, (that was later unlocked to 7 cores). Last gen console games never actually had access to all 8 of 8 cores by design.

the last gen "8 core" consoles only made 6 cores available to games initially, (that was later unlocked to 7 cores)
Last gen consoles used awful jaguar cores from AMD that are so bad, it fails against intel Atom( lowest end intel ) in benchmarks, most mid range smartphones SOCs today have better processing than AMD jaguar, this isnt the case this time around, PS5 and Series X are legit equipped to game with ZEN2 and RDNA2, even if you take the fact that 1 core is reserved for the OS, you still have 7 other cores with SMT ( total of 14 threads ) of ZEN2 strong ipc performance, a farcry from jaguar's abysmal performance

System Name KHR-1
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard ASRock B550 PG Velocita (UEFI-BIOS P3.40)
Memory 32 GB G.Skill RipJawsV F4-3200C16D-32GVR
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT
Storage Western Digital Black SN850 1 TB NVMe SSD
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DWF OLED-ASRock PG27Q15R2A (backup)
Case Corsair 275R
Audio Device(s) Technics SA-EX140 receiver with Polk VT60 speakers
Power Supply eVGA Supernova G3 750W
Mouse Logitech G Pro (Hero)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 23H2
Last gen consoles used awful jaguar cores from AMD that are so bad, it fails against intel Atom( lowest end intel )
Reminds me that "Richland" requires 4.8+ Ghz easily to compete with most others at 3.8 Ghz, LOL.

Even when "Kaveri" is better, it looks like new games are easily overwhelming it. At least true for my Athlon X4 860K. I easily get at or near 90 pecent CPU usage for PC Halo MCC.

Even "Picasso" decimates it! My Ryzen 3 3200G, despite limiting discrete GPUs to 8 lanes, looks like that Ryzen 3 will beat my Athlon X4 860K, every time!
I got my first Ryzen build on January 3, "two-zero", when I still felt safe enough going into BestBuy! The day that I got my first Ryzen build, there was a major amount of stock!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.