• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

which cpu fan is better?

Q

quasar923

which is better?

a zalman 9500 or a thermaltake big typhoon? im going to OC my e6600 to the max when i get it in around august. i want a good cpu heatsink and fan for it because i wanna get near 4ghz.

this is my system:

e6600
2 gig 1x1gig crusial balistix 1000mhz ram.
antec 900 case
xion supernovia 600watt psu
sapphire radeon x850xtx then after that a xfx 8800gts 320mb
asus p5b deluxe
20X dvd burner

any segestions to the specs let me know.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme.
IF you can find one let me know where.

System Name The Darkside
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard ASRock B550 Extreme4
Cooling OEM
Memory 16gb G.Skill Fortis
Video Card(s) MSI Seahawk 1070
Storage 500gb Mushkin Pilot NVMe
Display(s) 55" Samsung 4k UHD
Case Corsair iCue 465X RGB
Audio Device(s) Onboard Reltek
Power Supply Corsair AX860i
Software Windows 10
Q

quasar923

look again on new egg on the link i just put above but its out of stock

System Name The Darkside
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard ASRock B550 Extreme4
Cooling OEM
Memory 16gb G.Skill Fortis
Video Card(s) MSI Seahawk 1070
Storage 500gb Mushkin Pilot NVMe
Display(s) 55" Samsung 4k UHD
Case Corsair iCue 465X RGB
Audio Device(s) Onboard Reltek
Power Supply Corsair AX860i
Software Windows 10
Id jump on the ebay listing as there is no other place that has them in stock

jocksteeluk

The 13th room on the 13th floor of the 13th buildi
Processor custom dupont risk chip cpu prototype
Motherboard custom ibm x5 solid state carbon mainboard
Cooling industrial technologies prototype dupont custom heat transfer unit
Memory 6x 2gig prototype ecc hnc ddr4
Video Card(s) prototype low energy version nvidia 9 series unnumberd card
Storage 1tb solid state hdd
Display(s) 44 inch samsung plasma screen tv/monitor
Case custom ibm mobile home server case
Audio Device(s) custom Yamaha sound processing processor in spm format
Power Supply 1200watt deli cord custom made dupont type psu
Software sun unix/windows type v
quick question is this thermaltake big typhoon better than an arctic colling freezer series cpu cooler?

System Name Apple Bite
Processor Intel I5
Motherboard Apple
Memory 40gb of DDR 4 2700
Video Card(s) ATI Radeon 500
Storage Fusion Drive 1 TB
Display(s) 27 Inch IMac late 2017

crocop

Processor intel core 2 duo e6600
Motherboard asus striker extreme
Cooling zalman 9500LED
Memory 4GB kingmax ddr2 800
Video Card(s) ATI radeon X1900GT
Display(s) samsung 172X
Case coolermaster stacker 831
Audio Device(s) sound FX
Power Supply sharkoon silentstorm 535W
Software windows XP SP2
zalman 9500 is better, i have zalman 9500 and this is great cpu cooler :D :D

d44ve

Processor Intel E6600 @ 4.2GHZ Wo0t!
Motherboard ASUS Striker Extreme & eVGA 680i A1
Cooling Phase Change !!
Memory OCZ SLI 1066MHZ (2GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 8800 GTX
Storage Western Digital 320 GB
Case Antec 900
Power Supply Lian-Li V2000
Software Vista Ultimate
get the ultra 120 extreme

System Name Apple Bite
Processor Intel I5
Motherboard Apple
A 9500 is not better than an infinity a 9700 might come close do some research before you post. The Ultra is good too. Thats with one fan and the infinity is better than the ultra when 2 fans are used and it is better the more you overclock. The ultra is better at the lower end. the 9700 is about as good as the Acrtic cooler 7 and the 9500 is not as good as any of them when you overclock to the higher voltages.
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Scythe/Infinity/5

http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews.php?type=3&id=107&page=1&desc=scythe_infinity_heatpipe_cpu_cooler

check this out http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/acc/019/scy12fc-4f.html

http://www.anandtech.com/casecooling/showdoc.aspx?i=2937&p=8

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=298&type=expert&pid=1
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/core_2_cpu_cooler_roundup/page23.asp

Ballistics Report: Scythe

Scythe Andy

Pros

Good Performance – The Scythe Andy’s performance stayed in the middle of the Idle and Load charts. These results are still very acceptable for such highly overclocked CPU

Low Price – At $35 at the time of writing, the only thing keeping the Andy out of our ‘Best Value’ category it costs slight more than the Evercool Sharks, yet performs slightly worse. If you need a very quiet cooler though, this is the one for you.

Quiet – The Scythe Andy’s fan is extremely quiet, recording 36db. This placed the Andy at the very top of the noise level chart, even if it wasn’t the best.

Cons

Installation Mechanism – This is a very minor con, and it’s only here because we couldn’t find anything else negative to say about the Andy. The traditional stump method of the 775 can be annoying because the stump may not go down and the pin on the bottom won’t secure to the back of the motherboard. Make sure you test that out before trying to mount the cooler.

Scythe Infinity

Pros

Best Performance – The Scythe Infinity finished highest on the Load chart, and was at the very top of the Idle chart. It also produced the lowest Delta T of only 17C. If you want the very best performance you can get, there’s nothing better than the Scythe Infinity.

Quietest – Scythe Infinity’s fan ran quieter than any other tested in this roundup. It registered 35db with a 20db background.

Relatively Low Price – At $43 at the time of writing, the Scythe Infinity costs less than many other coolers tested today, yet it outperforms them all.

Cons

Large Size – The Infinity’s large size may not allow it to fit on some motherboards. It is also very tall, so make sure your case is wide enough to fit it.

Poor installation methods – Even though the Infinity’s installation is tool-less, its large size doesn’t help the already annoying traditional Socket 775 mounting method found on all Scythe coolers.

Ballistics Report: Scythe

Scythe Andy

Pros

Good Performance – The Scythe Andy’s performance stayed in the middle of the Idle and Load charts. These results are still very acceptable for such highly overclocked CPU

Low Price – At $35 at the time of writing, the only thing keeping the Andy out of our ‘Best Value’ category it costs slight more than the Evercool Sharks, yet performs slightly worse. If you need a very quiet cooler though, this is the one for you.

Quiet – The Scythe Andy’s fan is extremely quiet, recording 36db. This placed the Andy at the very top of the noise level chart, even if it wasn’t the best.

Cons

Installation Mechanism – This is a very minor con, and it’s only here because we couldn’t find anything else negative to say about the Andy. The traditional stump method of the 775 can be annoying because the stump may not go down and the pin on the bottom won’t secure to the back of the motherboard. Make sure you test that out before trying to mount the cooler.

Scythe Infinity

Pros

Best Performance – The Scythe Infinity finished highest on the Load chart, and was at the very top of the Idle chart. It also produced the lowest Delta T of only 17C. If you want the very best performance you can get, there’s nothing better than the Scythe Infinity.

Quietest – Scythe Infinity’s fan ran quieter than any other tested in this roundup. It registered 35db with a 20db background.

Relatively Low Price – At $43 at the time of writing, the Scythe Infinity costs less than many other coolers tested today, yet it outperforms them all.

Cons

Large Size – The Infinity’s large size may not allow it to fit on some motherboards. It is also very tall, so make sure your case is wide enough to fit it.

Poor installation methods – Even though the Infinity’s installation is tool-less, its large size doesn’t help the already annoying traditional Socket 775 mounting method found on all Scythe coolers.

********Here is one from tech power up that compares it to water cooling here is the conclusion******

Scythe is selling the Infinity for around $55. Price/performance considered this is a good deal. But still $55 for a cooler is $55 less in your pocket.

Excellent performance
Very easy installation
Quiet
Wide compatibility
Fan can be replaced
Looks great
Good price for the offered performance

Big - will not fit small form factor cases
Heavy
Not cheap

9.5 The Scythe Infinity is one big mother of a cooler. It offers awesome cooling performance and is a real alternative to watercooling.
In the past when I was testing at high overclocks I often had to install watercooling just to be sure the CPU air cooling is not limiting the overclock. Now I can just install the Scythe Infinity and get very similar results with much less time involved. Of course watercooling has a much bigger cooling potential, but it's also a bigger investment and more complex.
This brings us to the installation of the Scythe Infinity. It is so easy, I am convinced even first time users can do it. The multi-language manual adds to the great experience. Including mounting kits for all sockets is very nice of Scythe, some other manufacturers charge you extra.
Of course all this comes at a price. Spending over 50 bucks for a cooler is something not everybody is willing to do. Based on what we saw in the cooling performance tests my suggestion is to get this cooler only if you are looking into serious overclocking. When running at stock there are many similar performing, cheaper alternatives. However, if you are going to cool a highly overclocked CPU, this is the cooler to get. Before buying it you should make sure it will fit your motherboard. We can confirm it fits on the Sapphire AM2 motherboards, the ASUS P5B-Deluxe, and the ABIT AW9D-MAX. If you find a motherboard where it does not fit, please let us know.

After you read these review you will see that all around cooling, quiet performance and under heavy load The Infinity is the best choice.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 24505

what about the freezer 7 pro?

mines kept my cpu fine even at 3.9ghz at 1.57vcore running science mark2.

d44ve

Cooling Phase Change !!
Case Antec 900
Software Vista Ultimate
damn trt... I felt like I was giving him good information with posting the head to head results!

Nice infomation there

although I would like to see more informaiton on the ultra 120 extreme. I believe its tops from what I have read.

I w

System Name Apple Bite
Processor Intel I5
Motherboard Apple
it's good but not all around better and with two fans the infinity is better look at your bench marks you posted you will see an infinity dual that performs better. If it's good with two imagine with four 120's

d44ve

Cooling Phase Change !!
Case Antec 900
Software Vista Ultimate
I hear ya... but if you look at the top, the ultra 120 EXTREME is there at the #1 spot.

System Name Apple Bite
Processor Intel I5
Motherboard Apple
and isn't it loud as hell, because you can't hear an infinity.

d44ve

Cooling Phase Change !!
Case Antec 900
Software Vista Ultimate
personally, I do know... you cant hear the infinit, thats always a bonus

jiashyuan

Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 @ 3.33GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte 965P-DS3 (Rev 3.3)
Cooling Cooler Master Gemin2 with 2 19db ultra silent fan
Memory Kingston 1 GB DDR2 667Mhz CL5 X4
Video Card(s) Asus EN7600GS TOP
Storage Western Digital Caviar SE 160GB and Maxtor DiamondMax21 160GB
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster 205BW 20" Widescreen
Case Cooler Master Elite
Power Supply Cooler Master eXtreme Power 500W
Software Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium
i'm not sure bout the arctic cooling freezer 7 pro sits on which spot, but reviews said that its a good one.. cheap and good.. but a little noisy when running at full speed. Check out and see.

System Name Apple Bite
Processor Intel I5
Motherboard Apple
It's not noisy at all I have the AMD 64 Arctic cooler 64 pro version(almost identical to the 7) and they have a very quiet fan it's on rubber mounts and has fluid dynamic 92mm ball bearings fan. It's fantastically quiet. It's a better cooler than a 9500 and equal to a 9700 but not as good a cooler, close but not as good, as a Infinity, Ultra or Tunique tower. It is a lot smaller than all of the other coolers mentioned so you could mount a side case fan with it, unlike the other giant coolers to offset the cooling difference ( which is only a few degrees at most. It's a great cooler but the price has gone way up it's the same price as an Infinity.

Last edited:

jiashyuan

Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 @ 3.33GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte 965P-DS3 (Rev 3.3)
Cooling Cooler Master Gemin2 with 2 19db ultra silent fan
Memory Kingston 1 GB DDR2 667Mhz CL5 X4
Video Card(s) Asus EN7600GS TOP
Storage Western Digital Caviar SE 160GB and Maxtor DiamondMax21 160GB
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster 205BW 20" Widescreen
Case Cooler Master Elite
Power Supply Cooler Master eXtreme Power 500W
Software Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium
Lol. Dude, i'm using the freezer 7 pro. Yes, i know it has rubber mounted fan and all... its quiet when its not running at full speed. Its VERY noticable when on full speed. Try disable the smart fan control in the bios and you'll know. But anyway, its a fantastic cpu fan+heatsink. Have a look at my OC and you'll know :laugh: A little is bearable :toast:

System Name Apple Bite
Processor Intel I5
Motherboard Apple
You must have a bad fan then becaue mines silent my Acrtic cooler 64 pro. I also have a Arctic Cooler AC 12 120mm fan rear exhaust and it's silent too and the same design. I replaced the 64 with the Infinty but if I had to do it again I wouldn't since the 64 was 20 dollars and the Infinity was 59.00, but thats not the case with the 7 it's as expensive as the Infinty. Not trying to be funny that fan should be near silent. Thats one of it's selling points. Also my bios setting for my fans Is off and I have passive chipset and motherboard cooling and a ultra silent OCZ PSU so I would hear it if it was loud.

Last edited: