1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Which free Anti-Virus uses the least resources. <-Thats not a question.

Discussion in 'General Software' started by newtekie1, Dec 12, 2010.

1. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    I figured I do a quick test on a few of the most popular free anti-virus programs out and see which really uses the most resources.

Test Method:

I used a fresh install of Windows 7 x64 Pro. After installing Win7, drivers, and all Windows Updates I made an image of the machine. Then I installed each anti-virus, re-applying the image between anti-viruses to make sure each one gets a equally clean slate. After the AV was installed, I let the computer sit for 30 minutes to make sure it goes through its initial update process. The AVs were idle when I took the readings, these are not scan resources, but your scan should be set to run when the computer isn't in use anyway.

The resources I'm worried about is the RAM usage of each program. To figure this out I used ProcessXP which just makes it easy to pick up what processes belong to the AV software.

Results:

Column 1 Column 2
    0 AVG 81MB
    1 Avast 34MB
    2 Avira 110MB
    3 Comodo 145MB
    4 MSE 158MB

Short and sweat. But really, any system with reasonable amounts of RAM(2GB or more) probably won't even notice the difference.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
    Frick, Soylent Joe, Helli and 4 others say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  2. VulkanBros

VulkanBros

Thanks Received:
    KIS v. 11.0.2.556 on Win7 Pro 64bit

[​IMG][/IMG]

10 Year Member at TPU Crunching for Team TPU
  3. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    But it isn't free, so it doesn't matter. It is pointless to pay for anti-virus.

4. MoonPig

MoonPig

Thanks Received:
    Is this with the program doing a scan? or idle?

5. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Idle. I'm not to worried about scanning resources, because scans should be set to go when the computer isn't in use.:D

6. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    I see no Panda cloud AV in there, I think the client uses a few MB's that said it did something to my conenction when I tried it a few days ago, uninstalled and then couldnt log on as a standard user, would click to log on and it wouldn't even get to desktop then just switch to logging off, also stopped my 360 from connecting to the pc. Uninstall didn't fix it either I had to do a system restore :shadedshu

7. [I.R.A]_FBi

[I.R.A]_FBi

Thanks Received:
  8. garyinhere

garyinhere

Thanks Received:
    I normally use a combination of three diff anti-virus programs to be safe. All low impact and free... If you torrent it would be a mistake to rely on only one imo. Because a good virus will disable MSE The two biggest factors that i use is: does it do it's job(real time and scan) and what is the annoyance factor(does it have stupid pop ups and crap) But even with that many virus softwares a virus is inevitable and i do a fresh install when i catch one. With all that said thanks for the info newtekie!

9. MoonPig

MoonPig

Thanks Received:
  10. Rado D

Rado D

Thanks Received:
    isnt generally known that using even 2 antiviruses isnt recommended?

my Avast! Pro use max of 10MB of memory idle,in 2 processes,so I dont know whats up with yours..

EDIT:..uhm,strange,checked on Process XP too and there it shows 30.7MB..while in Windows taskmanager its much less...obviously is sort of up and down all the time,but I've tried to refresh both windows of Process XP and Taskmanager at the same time and in Taskmanager it shows always roughly half of what it shows in Process XP..

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  11. garyinhere

garyinhere

Thanks Received:
    obviously not at the same time... have one running real time and when i pick up a virus i run each individually...

12. Rado D

Rado D

Thanks Received:
    ahaaa :)

13. Peter1986C

Peter1986C

Thanks Received:
    I run McAfee Antivirus Plus in realtime and Malwarebytes in case of doubt (for example in case of possiblle false positives). And BTW, I use that McAfee product because it's cheap (actual price 25 euros, but cheaper for me personally because I simply share a license with my dad decreasing the price for me even more) and because I need a good firewall (the Antivirus scores better than the free ones in some Dutch tests, though the false positives can be annoying).

14. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    MSE is taking about 75MB in that screenshot. With all of them they jump around a lot, so it is kind of hard to get a definitive exact number, I just took what they were at when I looked.

That is why I used ProcessXP, it seems to be more accurate about memory usage. So take my results as a worst case.