• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

which settings to tweak - turn off/on change - Nvidia Asus tuf GPU

Gridmstr75

Hello, i am trying to assist my son with help on his new GPU that we upgraded from a MSI nvidia 1050ti to ASus Geforce 3070 ti GPU.
we ran DDU uninstall utlity first then installed the new GPU and ran geforce experince install fresh with both drivers and Geforce exp.
everything is working as it should he started to play Apex legends with superior performance.
To note his monitor is a Asus tuf gaming monitor - 144hz tops he pegged out the settings in Apex and it looks awesome

what i am inquirying about is which apps should we install to OC, check temps etc

Msi afterburner? what benchmarking tool is the best? Guru 3d? hardware info?

What settings should we change in the nvidia control panel , turn off anti aliasing?

here are his specs

MB:MSI Z390-A pro MS-7B98
Intel chipset coffee lake - Intel SB Z390
Bios - 1.D0 American megatrends - 01/19/21

Cpu - Intel Core i5 9600k coffee lake , Socket LG1151 LGA
3.7ghz

2 RAM being used corsair DDR4 - 3596 PArt number - CMK32GX4M2D3600C18 dual in slot 2 and 4

GPU - Nvidia Geforce RTX 3070 ti Current drivers/ geforce expernience installed

M2 Samsung 500gb C drive

please let me know if need screenshots to assist thanks

System Name Mr. Reliable
Processor Ryzen R9 5950x
Motherboard MSI Meg X570s Ace Max
Cooling D5 Pump, Singularity Top/Res, 2x360mm EK P rads, EK Magnitude/Alphacool Blocks
Memory 32Gb (4x8Gb) Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600Mhz @ 16/19/20/36 1.35v
Video Card(s) MSI 3080ti with Alphacool Block
Storage 2 x Corsair Force MP400 1TB Nvme; 2 x T-Force Cardea Z340; 2 x Mushkin Reactor 1TB
Display(s) Acer 32" Z321QU 2560x1440; LG 34GP83A-B 34" 3440x1440
Case Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic XL; Synology DS218j w/ 2 x 2TB WD Red
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries Arctis Pro+
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850G3
Mouse Razer Basilisk V2
Keyboard Das Keyboard 6; Razer Orbweaver Chroma
Software Windows 10 Pro
Make sure refresh rate of the monitor is set to 144hz in Windows, make sure Gsync is turned on, and you should be off to the races. I use Afterburner for tweaks and temp monitoring.

Otherwise setting look good and that rig should game really well.

JAT

System Name daily driver Mac mini M2 Pro
Processor Apple Silicon M2 Pro (6 p-cores, 4 e-cores)
Motherboard Apple proprietary
Cooling Apple proprietary
Memory Apple proprietary 16GB LPDDR5 unified memory
Video Card(s) Apple Silicon M2 Pro (16-core GPU)
Storage Apple proprietary 512GB SSD + various external HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UL850W (4K@60Hz IPS)
Case Apple proprietary
Audio Device(s) Apple proprietary
Power Supply Apple proprietary
Mouse Apple Magic Trackpad 2
Keyboard Keychron K1 tenkeyless (Gateron Reds)
Software macOS Ventura 13.6 (including latest patches)
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
I run benchmarks for two main reasons. The first is to ensure that the card is properly operating in the expected range (graphics performance, thermals). I do this before the window for returning a product closes (14 days, 30 days, whatever the merchant specified).

The second is to optionally set up fan curves. I won't bother with this until I am sure the card is functioning as advertised. I just let it run at the factory settings for the first month or so.

Contemporary mainstream PC silicon doesn't benefit much from overclocking compared to 10, 15, twenty years ago. These days the manufacturers (Intel, AMD, Nvidia) are putting most of the overclocking capacity into the boost mode. On top of that today's AIB GPU partners are heavily using binning so golden samples end up in the premium tier cards (e.g., ROG Strix) and the vendor reprograms those UEFIs for higher base and boost clocks.

Both Nvidia Turing (RTX 20 series) and Ampere (RTX 30 series) cards certainly take smaller overclocks than their predecessors.

In summer 2020 I acquired an RTX 2070 Super Founders Edition and proceeded to follow this overclocking guide:

The end result after hours and hours of testing and tweaking settings in MSI Afterburner was a 6-7% overclock with a much larger power draw. And to my dismay it turned out that overclock profile was stable for the Unigine Heaven benchmark, but not the Shadow of the Tomb Raider benchmark (there were artifacts). So I ended up dialing back the OC settings until I got rid of the SotTR artifacts and ended up with a 3% overclock. Faced with the prospect of having to do that again with other gaming titles, I decided that manual GPU overclocking wasn't worth my time.

And what's a 5% overclock? A 70 fps game that goes to 73 fps? My eyes aren't going to notice that. Even if the FPS counter is displayed in a corner of the screen, won't remember that this exact moment in this videogame was 4 fps lower without the overclock.

In hindsight, it's not surprising that SotTR didn't perform the same as the Heaven benchmark. SotTR also uses the raytracing and tensor cores (when DLSS enabled) on Turing and Ampere cards; not all transistors behave the same.

These days, I just use whatever GPU utility the manufacturer offers (GPUTweak III for Asus, Precision X1 for EVGA), turn on the app's OC preset and call it a day.

Save your time and forget manual GPU overclocking unless you'd rather do that over gaming. Or use MSI Afterburner, fill up all five OC profile save slots, and write down which profile works with which game because that's GPU overclocking in 2022.

Of course, you could just focus on a single custom OC profile for Apex Legends. As far as I know, Apex does not have an in-game benchmark tool so it will be a little tedious. I believe this title also features optional ray-tracing and DLSS. On the bright side at least a stable OC profile should last until the developer changes something in the game engine during a major update. Just don't expect substantial performance gains.

Anyhow, it looks like your son has a nice rig for his gaming sessions, maybe even homework too ;). The TUF Gaming cooler is quite competent, he should be able to max out his graphics card and not worry about thermal throttling even with the default fan curve. The fans are pretty quiet although I expect he will be wearing headphones while playing Apex.

Last edited:
System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5900x / i5-4460
Motherboard Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 /ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Cooling Corsair H100i / stock HSF
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 / 8GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080Ti / EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Storage 500GB Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / 2x 4TB & 1x 8TB WD Red, 2TB SSD & 4TB SSD
Display(s) Dell - S3220DGF 32" LED Curved QHD FreeSync Monitor / 50" LCD TV
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Audio Device(s) Logitech G35 headset
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 / Windows 10 Pro 64
I usually use GPUZ or MSI Afterburner. Both will show temps, usage of RAM, clock speeds and such. The only thing MSI Afterburner does that GPUZ doesn't is it lets me set a personalized fan curve.

If temps are staying below 80C when you're gaming, you're golden. If you feel they're running a bit high, setting a fan curve might help you out.

System Name Ghetto Rigs z490|x99|Acer 17 Nitro 7840hs/ 5600c40-2x16/ 4060/ 1tb acer stock m.2/ 4tb sn850x
Processor 10900k w/Optimus Foundation | 5930k w/Black Noctua D15
Motherboard z490 Maximus XII Apex | x99 Sabertooth
Cooling oCool D5 res-combo/280 GTX/ Optimus Foundation/ gpu water block | Blk D15
Memory Trident-Z Royal 4000c16 2x16gb | Trident-Z 3200c14 4x8gb
Video Card(s) Titan Xp-water | evga 980ti gaming-w/ air
Storage 970evo+500gb & sn850x 4tb | 860 pro 256gb | Acer m.2 1tb/ sn850x 4tb| Many2.5" sata's ssd 3.5hdd's
Display(s) 1-AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz/ 2nd 1-ASUS VG248QE 24"/ 3rd LG 43" series
Case D450 | Cherry Entertainment center on Test bench
Audio Device(s) Built in Realtek x2 with 2-Insignia 2.0 sound bars & 1-LG sound bar
Power Supply EVGA 1000P2 with APC AX1500 | 850P2 with CyberPower-GX1325U
Mouse Redragon 901 Perdition x3
Keyboard G710+x3
Software Win-7 pro x3 and win-10 & 11pro x3
Benchmark Scores Are in the benchmark section
Hi,
Check this out

Or 11

Gridmstr75

hi all thank you for the information:

however running into another now

when my son plays BFV pegs out the CPU why?

let me know if need any further information.

also how can i run Debug utility on windows 10 to show any errors or issues?

I would also like to monitor his hardware from my pc in the other room to view it while he is gaming.