• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Why 4K Television?

System Name Space Station
Processor Intel 13700K
Motherboard ASRock Z790 PG Riptide
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory Corsair Vengeance 6400 2x16GB @ CL34
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4080
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Display(s) LG C3 OLED 42"
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V371
Power Supply SeaSonic Vertex 1200w Gold
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Software Windows 11 Pro 23H2
I don't know about UK HD broadcasts over cable, but I've seen HD broadcasts over cable here in the NW part of the US, and even on the worst cable service in the area, it definitely looks as HD as over the air HD does. That said, basic cable is atrocious. There's far too many 480i channels, and I don't consider them HD, even though they call them that.

The thing with 4K in general is though, it is not being launched in preparation for TV broadcast support like regular 1080p HD was. So currently you only get the benefit of 4k via 300 or so 4K Blu ray movie titles, some 4k streaming content on Netflix, 4k YouTube videos, some other sites that offer 4k videos and streams, and of course video games.

There are many new movies being offered in 4k now though, and the starting price for them has dropped to around $25. Plus many of them have HDR as well, so HDR is as big a feature in new TVs as 4k, maybe even bigger. Also, HDR is only available on 4K TVs, making it one of the biggest selling points of 4k sets.

I'd go as far as to say I feel one of the main reasons VA type panel TVs are making a big comeback is they have much higher contrast ratio than IPS, so they support HDR better. Sales on 4K movies so far are also better than expected, and I have a feeling a lot of that has to do with HDR.

Also, the main benefit of 4k is for larger screens obviously. The difference is most noticeable on 50" and up TVs. That said, regarding 4K Blu ray players and movie discs, there is no doubt going to be a different format war this time around. While Blu ray clearly won over HD-DVD last time around, streaming is big enough now to eventually knock off the hard disc market, much like Steam knocked off retail disc games.

So, in summary, 4K is most appealing to people with larger screen TVs, those interested in HDR content, and those interested in 4k gaming, which obviously takes hefty GPU power. I'd say those interested in Blu ray movie discs as well, but it's hard to say how long those will survive. Once everyone gets 25-50 MB or better ISP speed, discs will quickly become obsolete.

Even our crap cable company in my area is now offering a 12 month promo on 100 MB speed internet for $30 a month. And even if that speed drops to 50 MB at peak usage hours, that's still plenty enough to stream 4K content. My biggest gripe about it though is unless you pay $10 a month more for 800 GB data usage, or $20 a month more for unlimited, you only get 400 GB worth of data, which is roughly 6 4K movies worth. And that also means the regular non promo price jumps up to $90 a month for unlimited, and that's if you buy vs rent your modem/router.

This all paints a scenario of 4K adopters needing to have deep pockets, or spend their last dime on their home entertainment. At least on the west coast anyway. The east coast seems to have much better ISP prices. My guess is it's due to a denser population, which means more customers per field equipment used.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 67555

My 4k TV upconverts crappy 1080p to proper 1080p and proper 1080p to incredible 1080p...

I have a 55" UHD 4k and I don't exactly need 4k but I do enjoy the better colors and deep blacks and proper dark scenes...
I do have some fairly close seating as well..

I also have just a 55" 4k and it's just a 4k... That TV is pointless...

I also have a high end LG 1080p from 2010ish...

The features make it worth it.... The resolution does not.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
There's far too many 480i channels, and I don't consider them HD, even though they call them that.
Here (Cox Cable Omaha) 480i is not HD. HD starts with 720p. But frankly, I think that is a stretch and 1080i is where HD should start, IMO.

I think 720p is norm, as seen here.

Once everyone gets 25-50 MB or better ISP speed, discs will quickly become obsolete.
The problem again with 4K over cable is bandwidth. It requires at least 15Mbps. If you live by yourself and/or there are no other devices connected at the time, you would probably be fine with a 25Mbps connection. But I am not sure if discs will become obsolete any time soon. Many people like having discs (with cover art and credits) rather than digital files.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Both networks and TVs have to roll out simultaneously. Networks are powered by ads and ads only make money if they're seen by viewers which requires TVs. Like HDTV, most users are still perfectly fine watching their stuff on 480p equivalent YouTube or terrestrial sub channels. The amount of people that demand the latest and greatest TV tech is relatively small. ATSC 1.0 being turned off is going to drive the greatest number of people to 4K-capable TVs just as it did when NTSC broadcasts were ended. Even so, the vast majority of people get their TV through rebroadcasters (cable/satellite) which are utterly unaffected by the ATSC 3.0 roll out.

Processor Intel 13700K
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
I'm finding unless you plan on making use of as much 4K content as possible and plan to get a 50" or bigger TV, you shop more for processing quality than resolution in TVs. The problem is, with all the new TVs, you only get excellent processing on 4K models, and the ones with great processing are all 49" and up.

Sony has the best upscaling of any brand, but their X1 processor can make a VA panel TV look better than an IPS. What I mean by better is the colors are as lifelike, but the contrast ratio is WAY higher, so you get much better detail on dark scenes. It's the best of both worlds. Some are calling their new X900E series an OLED killer, and it starts at 49".

I would say OLED killer is an exaggeration unless you factor in it's lifespan being much better. OLED handles motion better. A Sony LCD set with X1 can be pretty much motion free on the two highest Motionflow settings, but you get the dreaded halo effect, which creates a force field looking artifact around the moving object, be it a bird flying, ball moving, etc. The closer you sit, the more obvious it is.

That's just too big and expensive a TV for some people though. The thing that bothers me most is close ups on big screens like the X900E make any motion blur more noticeable, even though it's response time and motion handling is pretty good. So you have to sit pretty far away, which also means you have to have it in a fairly large room.

I may settle for the 2016 Sony X800D 43" (VA panel). I was able to compare one side by side to the new IPS panel X800E, and at first I thought it wouldn't be able to look as lifelike, but yesterday I spent a good deal of time adjusting the color, brightness and black levels, and managed to get it almost indistinguishable from the look of the IPS. The plus is with the VA panel it shows deeper blacks and better detail in dark scenes.

I had to use what I would call pretty radical settings to accomplish that, like 70 on color warmth, and 30 on brightness. Plus to my surprise, it has as good a response time as the new IPS model. The only slight downside is the PSU is internal, whereas it's external on the new one, making it lighter and cooler running.

On response times specifically though guys, make sure you take note that manufacturer's will use best case scenario, while sites like RTINGS.com will take an average of several tests. So if you see brand X claiming 4-6ms response time, and RTINGS.com saying 10-13ms, that's why. I'm guessing this is also partly why most TV manufactures don't even bother giving a response time spec anymore, besides the fact they are trying to cut overhead to the bone lately.

D

Deleted member 67555

My Vizio 2016 M-SERIES looks better than the same year P-SERIES...VA vs. IPS 4k HDR, VA wins hands down...
I'm 100% certain... Blacks and colors are better and the angle issue doesn't exist within the shape off the room

This video is awesome in 4k

I'd suggest watching her Billy Jean video..

Processor Intel 13700K
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
My Vizio 2016 M-SERIES looks better than the same year P-SERIES...VA vs. IPS 4k HDR, VA wins hands down...
I'm 100% certain... Blacks and colors are better and the angle issue doesn't exist within the shape off the room

This video is awesome in 4k
I was amazed by the IQ for the price on Vizio's last year's 32" E series, but lately they've gone downhill on smaller sets. Pretty much all manufacturer's don't have any good 32" TVs anymore though. You have to jump up to at least 43" now to get anything with a decent picture.

D

Deleted member 67555

I was amazed by the IQ for the price on Vizio's last year's 32" E series, but lately they've gone downhill on smaller sets. Pretty much all manufacturer's don't have any good 32" TVs anymore though. You have to jump up to at least 43" now to get anything with a decent picture.
They have a really good 39" 720p (lol)
It has full array LED with something like 16 zones... Which is awesome for 720p

Processor Intel 13700K
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
They have a really good 39" 720p (lol)
It has full array LED with something like 16 zones... Which is awesome for 720p
Not to be cliche, but 720p is so, yesterday. More so for gaming than TV I guess.

System Name RadActive Dragon & Black Dragon
Processor i7 5960X & 1090T
Motherboard Gigabyte X99-UD3P & Asus Sabertooth 990FX
Cooling EK EVO & Corsair H50
Memory GSkill TridentZ 32GBs 3200MHz & Vegeance 8GBs 1600MHz
Video Card(s) 2x 980Ti & 960 FTW
Storage Samsung Pro 256GB & Intel 120GB
Case Heavy modded Haf X & NZXT Apollo
Power Supply AX1200 & AX1200i
Software Windows 7 & Ubuntu 15.04
It really has nothing to do with 4k...
It's about the new features...that sells better with a bigger resolution number..
It makes it easier for people to differentiate between new tech and old.
It's literally nothing more than a PR campaign...
I love my 4k TV.. Not for 4k but for the 126 lighting zones and HDR....
Also there has to be an update as 1080p and it's color spectrum were already set as a standard..UHD has a much better spectrum in its standard.
I think 4k sounds better than 1080p 2.0
And I'll be honest I wouldn't have paid the same high price for the same features on a 1080p TV...

Yep, the new features the reason I bought the one I have. Plus, I only paid 300 bucks. Got to love after super ball sells that stores do to get the extra TVs gone.
Even has the quantum dot tech and HDR+ tech. Also, sold the old 1080P TV for around 120 bucks. So, not much a cost for my upgrade.

D

Deleted member 67555

Just saying about content for 4k...
It's more than people think but you have to choose wisely on how you want to get it...

I don't think anything is any real competition for Android TV in the US.
Nvidia shield, Sony X TV, MiBox, Vizio Etc...all Android TV and for good reason..
Amazon FireTV only does a crappy version of 4k..same with Xbone S... Not sure about PS4 pro...

If you want Real 4k HDR10(+) you go Android TV...
I'm a big fan of a Netflix shows... The CW, SyFy and one show on AMC..
And YouTube...

For me there is definitely enough content to be worth it.

System Name My Ryzen 7 7700X Super Computer
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling DeepCool AK620 with Arctic Silver 5
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 EXPO (CL30)
Video Card(s) XFX AMD Radeon RX 7900 GRE
Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Display(s) Acer Nitro XV272U (DisplayPort) and Acer Nitro XV270U (DisplayPort)
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH C
Audio Device(s) On-Board Sound / Sony WH-XB910N Bluetooth Headphones
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/liwjs3
Besides Amazon, NetFlix, and 4K Blu-Ray there's no no good sources of 4K content. Again, as I said before, a lot of people still watch TV by paying a pay-TV provider such as Charter, Comcast, or DirecTV. Yes, cord-cutting is a thing but a lot of people still get their content the old fashioned way.

Processor Intel 13700K
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
For me, the biggest problem so far with cord cutting is you either have to wait to view your shows (Hulu, etc), or the local network stations are only available in about 15-18 cities. Services like Sling and Vue are still very much a work in progress because of this.

System Name Thought I'd be done with this by now
Processor i7 11700k 8/16
Motherboard MSI Z590 Pro Wifi
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4, 9x aigo AR12
Memory 32GB GSkill TridentZ Neo DDR4-4000 CL18-22-22-42
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 2x Geforce RTX 3070
Storage 1TB MX300 M.2 OS + Games, + cloud mostly
Display(s) Samsung 40" 4k (TV)
Case Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic EVO Black
Audio Device(s) onboard HD -> Yamaha 5.1
Power Supply EVGA 850 GQ
Mouse Logitech wireless
Keyboard same
VR HMD nah
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores no one cares anymore lols
1. Dude you still have cable? That's like bringing a horse to the dragrace

2. my 4k tv was 400$, it replaced my 9 year old 1080i TV which I bought for 400$...If even the 400$ units have it, why would you buy the 1080?

3. I use my TV's for many years and do not upgrade for trends, I upgrade when it dies. The last one lasted 9 years, even if this one only lasts 5, the 4K choice will be smart.

D

Deleted member 67555

For me, the biggest problem so far with cord cutting is you either have to wait to view your shows (Hulu, etc), or the local network stations are only available in about 15-18 cities. Services like Sling and Vue are still very much a work in progress because of this.
I have a Hdhomerun at my house and I watch live local TV on my Android TV box (MiBox) either through Google Live Channels, Hdhomerun beta app or through Kodi-which I actually use for all legal purposes.. Is a great app.
It's not just about cord cutting.. Is about real convenience...
Nothing like be able to watch live locally broadcast NFL football on your tablet while taking a shit.. Or whatever sport is currently available... Or just whatever whenever... Doing yard work etc..
It's also a physical thing too... My kids TV's only have a power cord....

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest
Here we have charter, & like many have said there are 480& 720channels which vary depending on source, but then there is another identical lineup of channels in hd1080p but instead of it gping from 2-84 for example , the hd versions are 802-884. Tbh, ive always wondered y the hd ones weren't the lower group,& im too lazy to go to the higher ones9/10 times

In Holland we have HD over digital cable. It's funny to see this thread. A while ago i went into the local store named Media markt looking for a 'wider' TV since we changed something in our living room. The viewing distance became too far for this 42 inch so i needed a bigger one. Well asking one of the salesman looking for a new tv they immidiatly pinpoint you towards the 4K ultra OLED digital models with prices over 1499 up to 2599 euro. I said to him look back in the days, you'd pay 500 for a premium model and that's it. I am willing to spend up to 1000 euro for a good television. So he was pinpointing brand A, brand B, brand C, none of those TV running in demo mode actually looked to what i needed. So i settled with a 699 Sony 50 inch OLED 1080P TV incl wallmount for together 740 euro's.

I said to the salesman there's no need to have a 4K TV going on (as to my gf as well) if the input is still 1080P or for that matter, being upscaled. The only thing we do is watch HD TV by digital cable, netflix and sometimes a blueray disc for the movies i really want to have in my collection. He said well the PS4 upscales to 4K as well. Yes but that still does'nt make it 4K, does it? It's just not that technology is'nt fast enough to cope with the 4K resolutions it's also the TV stations that need to broadcast into 4K, or for this matter 1080P. and as long as that aint moving, we're still at semi HD or HD being upscaled.

The compression or artifacts is proberly due to your carrier. We dont have that stuff here. We actually have HD channels and some of them you could really count the hairs on someone's head. Blueray as well at 1080P looks really good if the stream is properly done.

TV's these days come with so much bullshit apps ... It's a complete andriod based entertainment system, i said just give me a TV with one simple button. Sony's always served me right. Also the quality of their panels is just much better then brands such as LG or samsung. I have a feeling they always get the 2nd rank of panels onto their screens.

System Name Perf/price king /w focus on low noise and TDP
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1230 v2
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H
Cooling Thermalright HR-02 Macho Rev.A (BW)
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP Black
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670 OC
Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 & 256GB Samsung 830 Series
Display(s) Home: LG 29UB65-P & Work: LG 34UB88-B
Case Fractal Design Arc Mini
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essence STX /w Sennheiser HD 598
Power Supply be quiet! Straight Power CM E9 80+ Gold 480W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD optical
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex M500
Software Win10
So i settled with a 699 Sony 50 inch OLED 1080P TV incl wallmount for together 740 euro's.
There is no such thing as a 1080p OLED from Sony afaik...

D

Deleted member 67555

If they sold a 46" 720p tv with full array lighting a wider color gamut and HDR I'd buy it... But they don't but they do sell 4k TV's with full array lighting, wide color gamut and HDR....
I really think people need to understand until you get large or you're up close to your TV the resolution isn't as important as you think... But the features do matter.

They are finally imo as good as CRT where they weren't and vastly superior in other ways which wasn't true until roughly mid 2015....

By the way... really good 4k TV's start at $650 in the USA... I wouldn't spend more than $1000 and I'd make sure that the TV can handle current signals and not just future signals...looking at you Samsung QLED.... With your bright beautiful colors that you can't display in 1080p sports events and still blur a little with a $2500 starting price.

System Name Thought I'd be done with this by now
Processor i7 11700k 8/16
Motherboard MSI Z590 Pro Wifi
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4, 9x aigo AR12
Memory 32GB GSkill TridentZ Neo DDR4-4000 CL18-22-22-42
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 2x Geforce RTX 3070
Storage 1TB MX300 M.2 OS + Games, + cloud mostly
Display(s) Samsung 40" 4k (TV)
Case Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic EVO Black
Audio Device(s) onboard HD -> Yamaha 5.1
Power Supply EVGA 850 GQ
Mouse Logitech wireless
Keyboard same
VR HMD nah
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores no one cares anymore lols
In Holland we have HD over digital cable. It's funny to see this thread. A while ago i went into the local store named Media markt looking for a 'wider' TV since we changed something in our living room. The viewing distance became too far for this 42 inch so i needed a bigger one. Well asking one of the salesman looking for a new tv they immidiatly pinpoint you towards the 4K ultra OLED digital models with prices over 1499 up to 2599 euro. I said to him look back in the days, you'd pay 500 for a premium model and that's it. I am willing to spend up to 1000 euro for a good television. So he was pinpointing brand A, brand B, brand C, none of those TV running in demo mode actually looked to what i needed. So i settled with a 699 Sony 50 inch OLED 1080P TV incl wallmount for together 740 euro's.

I said to the salesman there's no need to have a 4K TV going on (as to my gf as well) if the input is still 1080P or for that matter, being upscaled. The only thing we do is watch HD TV by digital cable, netflix and sometimes a blueray disc for the movies i really want to have in my collection. He said well the PS4 upscales to 4K as well. Yes but that still does'nt make it 4K, does it? It's just not that technology is'nt fast enough to cope with the 4K resolutions it's also the TV stations that need to broadcast into 4K, or for this matter 1080P. and as long as that aint moving, we're still at semi HD or HD being upscaled.

The compression or artifacts is proberly due to your carrier. We dont have that stuff here. We actually have HD channels and some of them you could really count the hairs on someone's head. Blueray as well at 1080P looks really good if the stream is properly done.

TV's these days come with so much bullshit apps ... It's a complete andriod based entertainment system, i said just give me a TV with one simple button. Sony's always served me right. Also the quality of their panels is just much better then brands such as LG or samsung. I have a feeling they always get the 2nd rank of panels onto their screens.
sony has that unit for 466euro online...including taxes plus free shipping. You're supposed to showroom to find the unit you want then buy it where its least expensive... you wasted 233 euro...

Solid rant, 8/10, would rant again.

However, many of us on boards like these long ago ditched the cord in the traditional sense.

I have Netflix, Amazon, and YouTube with tons of 4K. I download pristine 1080p x265 movies and TV shows from ... the internet that look amazing.

But for those still addicted to that cord, it is bad in the US.

System Name My Ryzen 7 7700X Super Computer
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling DeepCool AK620 with Arctic Silver 5
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 EXPO (CL30)
Video Card(s) XFX AMD Radeon RX 7900 GRE
Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Display(s) Acer Nitro XV272U (DisplayPort) and Acer Nitro XV270U (DisplayPort)
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH C
Audio Device(s) On-Board Sound / Sony WH-XB910N Bluetooth Headphones
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/liwjs3
I would love to cut the cord but convincing the other people in the house to go along with that idea is proving to be difficult.

System Name Box of Distraction
Processor Ryzen 7 1800X
Motherboard Crosshair VI Hero
Cooling Custom watercooling
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 2x8GB @ 3466MHz CL14 1T
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080Ti FE. WC'd & TDP limit increased to 360W.
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 500GB & WD Black 2TB storage drive.
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" 1440P 165hz Gsync
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M
Audio Device(s) Phillips Fidelio X2 headphones / basic Bose speakers
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750W G3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 6.0 (mx red switches)
Software Win 10 & Linux Mint
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/infrared
Good rant, and I'm impressed with how this topic stayed on topic! I thought it would turn into a flame war for sure!

My biggest gripe is with movies filmed at 24hz... The few times I actually go to the cinema I'm always struggling to follow what's going on in action sequences, it just turns into a juddery mess. And what confuses me the most is that the vast majority of people seem to either not notice (idk how!!) or don't care. :(

And I totally agree that we should have crystal clear 1080p broadcasts by now, 1080i is a joke! Unfortunately the only way to get the best out of a "TV" is to use it as a monitor! Although it doesn't make a great deal of difference to me as there isn't a lot on TV that interests me. I prefer blurays, netflix, amazon etc.

Good thread @trparky ;)

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
The few times I actually go to the cinema
I never go to the "cinema" - or movies (movie theater) as we say on this side of big pond (and note it's theater, not theatre! ;)). I don't like my feet sticking to the floor.

But most importantance, there's no pause button! ;)