1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Why Did TPU stop making those news videos?

Discussion in 'Comments & Feedback' started by xkm1948, Sep 24, 2017.

1. xkm1948

xkm1948

Thanks Received:
    Honestly those were pretty amazing. Just the right amount of news with a great guy. Given a little bit more time it would surely become a pretty big hit on YouTube. Maybe we will even get to see W1zzard or some pther reviewers live as well. Hope it would be back one day. Or at least you guys can put Ravenlord on the YouTube channel. Or @R-T-B editorials piece told by the frogman himself. Would be pretty amazing.

AsRock, zithe and Raevenlord say thanks.
  2. OneMoar

OneMoar There is Always Moar

Thanks Received:
    to be honest I really wasn't a fan of the format
    desperately needed a studio and or some better camera gear (gray on white is no Buenos)
    nothing against the guy but he wasn't that interactive with the camera very dry(talking at the camera instend of to the audience) ,he needs a co host I nominate @buildzoid

buildzoid already has a decent following has good camera presence (except for the hair)

techpowerup is big enough where there needs to be a A class effort made here:

EarthDog says thanks.
  3. R-T-B

R-T-B

Thanks Received:
    I don't have the time to even write so videoshoots are out unfortunately (or fortunately, maybe...)

Wouldn't mind returning to news when things stabilize but that is a big if and not entirely my call either.

Raevenlord, qubit and AlienIsGOD say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  4. silentbogo

silentbogo

Thanks Received:
    Judging by the view numbers, auditory for this stuff was too small...
    So it was probably a good decision to drop news videos, since it was simply a rehash of all the stuff that was already posted on TPU.
    At least it was better than dumbass Linus reading stuff from other tech sites, while adding even dumber remarks.

I'd be more happy to see video reviews, or at least supplementary videos to hardware reviews.

5. OneMoar

OneMoar There is Always Moar

Thanks Received:
    Yea we don't need news videos we need reviews or interesting tech

xkm1948 says thanks.
  6. ZeppMan217

ZeppMan217

Thanks Received:
    Videos take time, and we all can read.

7. Toothless

Toothless

Thanks Received:
    Even something like a podcast to listen to reviews while on the go or working on projects would be nice. A narration of a review with a seductive voice would be a good addition.

Crunching for Team TPU
  8. silentbogo

silentbogo

Thanks Received:
    Google Text-to-Speech? Siri, maybe?
    There's nothing more seductive than a fembot reading tech news into your ear on the way to work :D

biffzinker, Raevenlord and AlienIsGOD say thanks.
  9. Upgrayedd

Thanks Received:
    I never watched them because I like reading my news more, not as opinionated and I read exactly what I want. I read on my phone mostly and my phone doesn't video stream the best.

10. Vayra86

Vayra86

Thanks Received:
    Honestly I always have trouble finding bonus points when its about a video review vs a written one. I might be silly but video reviews of products, are only rarely more informative than written ones.

I think they can go hand in hand, a good example to me was the recent gaming chair review with video showing some aspects of it. Or the short vids that show how GPU leds look in a case. Anything more than that is almost always cringe-worthy to me. Its pretty hard to not be annoying at some point in any video presentation. Takes heaps of talent that most people just dont have.

11. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    It was @zithe that made the videos.

Crunching for Team TPU
  12. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    From looking at Youtube, it does seem like the most demand is for hardware direct comparison and benchmarking (especially gaming benchmarks), "will it run it" guides, hardware unboxing, mouse and keyboard gaming peripheral reviews, system builds.

zithe and Tallencor say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  13. eidairaman1

eidairaman1 The Exiled Airman

Thanks Received:
    Just report the tech news, not be opinionated about it.

zithe and EarthDog say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  14. lZKoce

lZKoce

Thanks Received:
    I don't think I've ever watched a single video from the series. It's just I have plenty of stuff to do on the forum and I have other video sources I am used to already.

15. silentbogo

silentbogo

Thanks Received:
    Takings sides while reporting news is a whole another issue, but still what's the point of making videos about news, if most people who this video was made for already read it on the site.
    It's too much work for a banal duplication of effort. I say, either do exclusive and relevant content (not the same crap everyone already read about), or don't do it at all.

zithe says thanks.
  16. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Zithe did a good job with the time and equipment available to him. People underestimate just how much time and effort putting together a solid video is, scriptwriting, planning, editing, sifting through those numerous bad takes etc. Back when I did the work at NPU I was working a 40 hour a week job, and then working another 22 hours a week creating review and video content for NPU.

It's a lot of time for someone to do it, and is very nearly a full time job in terms of requirements. Sometimes it can be difficult to balance that and other life responsibilites, whether it be a job or school or family, even leisure time, all at once. I'd be up until 3am Saturday morning getting the weekly news video done and uploaded for 10AM that day.

In truth my excessive work ethic cost me my previous relationship. My fault, not TPU or NPUs. Not everything goes to plan. Sanity is for the weak etc etc.

AsRock, Vario, Kursah and 13 others say thanks.
  17. zithe

zithe

Thanks Received:
    When I was making the videos, I kept trying to get better and better at it. I was putting in a ton of hours into it each week. It was quite challenging getting the videos done in a timely manner, as I still had to work two other jobs, and I was progressively putting more time into each video. If all the relevant news came out on a thursday but the video had to post friday morning, I had to rush it as fast as I could. With many of the videos, they were shot at 3AM when I'd normally have been long asleep. Many times I justcouldn't pull it off, and the video would be late.

Happily though, numbers were improving. Audience retention had improved by a large margin over time, and I kept experimenting to get that number up. I was learning a lot.

What I really wanted to do was branch it out into product reviews, but that meant putting exponentially more time into it. Every video had to be reviewed by staff before it was posted, and we're on opposite ends of the world, so I'd pull an all nighter to get videos done and call into work the next day.

When I uploaded the last video, i had bought a small pile of equipment to record reviews of, the scripts were written and they were ready to shoot. Though, I wasn't happy with how things were going, and I had a lot to think about.

At some point during my time at TPU, my partner at the time became suicidal, and that really took out the rest of the passion/energy I could put into TPU, so I took a break. I was really struggling with depression. I had to stop everything and get help, and TPU was what ended up getting chopped.

I'm sorry I didn't communicate it better. Things have improved, and I'd like to dabble in tech videos again, though it'll likely be solo so I can balance it with school.

AsRock, DeathtoGnomes, Vario and 16 others say thanks.
  18. Raevenlord

Raevenlord News Editor Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm very partial to podcasts, actually; it's an interesting idea. I know W1zzard is always looking for ways to improve the site and cater to our users, so, somebody should probably mention this to him. (Of course I will too, but the community matters most.)

Also, Zithe, thumbs up for that. I know the amount of time it takes to make a good video - it's exponentially more time-consuming than writing. Personally, I'm not a fan of the format - but what you just shared here really goes to show the more humane side to what people do. Writers, reviewers, video news guys... I always love to see the real side to who's behind these things. Thanks for sharing. I know people will treasure the amount of work you put into those videos even more now.

19. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    It really is a thankless job. You can't win at times.

20. R-T-B

R-T-B

Thanks Received:
    Wow, sorry to hear about your partner Zithe. I hope it works/worked out. Also, speaking from experience, depression is no fun at all.

Ditto to you, for your story, RCoon.

Thanks for posting the human element gentlemen... it makes me feel a little less bad about my departure to help with my dad's cancer treatment. I guess life just hits us hard sometimes.

dorsetknob, rtwjunkie and biffzinker say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  21. zithe

zithe

Thanks Received:
    Thanks. It really means a lot.

I'm doing freelance narration and taking courses in videography/PR & media writing at RIT, so this is something I'm still improving on, but out of the public eye these days x3

I have a passion for making videos. Moreso on the entertainment side of it, which is where the jokes came in, and there was certainly a polarizing effect to that. Having my opinion was something people above me wanted to include, and I had fun with it. I certainly saw then and now that not everyone likes it.

Some of the comments on the videos though. Holy shit do people want you dead on the internet lmao

And as far as my ex, I havent heard from him in several months. I'm with another person and it's a much healthier relationship. Things are good

Vario, Toothless, dorsetknob and 7 others say thanks.
  22. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I do miss doing it though :toast: met an awful lot of very lovely people in the industry *cough* Chris Avellone *cough*

zithe says thanks.
  23. zithe

zithe

Thanks Received:
    Absolutely! It was fun a lot of fun at times.

Though I feel the channel should include both NPU and TPU content rather than split. It should also eventually be its own entity entirely and use ads and sponsorships to generate revenue independently of the website. The videos depended so heavily on the website for traffic, which wouldn't have lasted forever for sure.

It has to be something different and funny, I think. So many people are already doing straight faced, raw info type vids. I always felt there was really no need for more of that.

AsRock, xkm1948 and RCoon say thanks.
  24. xkm1948

xkm1948

Thanks Received:
    Sorry about the issue @zithe Just wanna say your video was great. Truly amazing! Loved every single episode of it! (Which is why I am posting here asking for MOAR!!!)

It would be nice if the review creators like @cadaveca @W1zzard @VSG can team up and provide some neat clips about certain things during their review of products and the editors like @zithe and @Raevenlord combine them together into a nice lengthy weekly review recap.

Maybe I am just lazy now. After a whole day working my ass off on the lab bench I just don't wanna sit down and read off screen about reviews. Have some video version to narrating it for you would be nice. Of course the video can always link back to the actual review for most viewers.

Plus on top of all that. With TPU's fame, it will be relatively easy to establish a strong presence on YouTube. More youtube views means some of the video creators can rely less on their daily job for financial support.

cadaveca and stinger608 say thanks.
  25. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    Linus and other shills already make enough crap for the uneducated masses, the rest of us read, and comprehend instead of being spoon fed. You know, being adults. I'm not saying all youtubers are shills, but the majority are, have huge bias, and seem to be unable to separate their bias from reporting.

10 Year Member at TPU 10 Million points folded for TPU