• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Why is SteamOS taking so long to come to desktop for AMD users, when ChimeraOS is the same thing almost?

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Does anyone know if ChimeraOS or Ubuntu allocates ecores correctly on the raptor lake CPU's? I am just curious

Does anyone know if ChimeraOS or Ubuntu allocates ecores correctly on the raptor lake CPU's? I am just curious

Raptor Lake is very close in design to its Alder Lake predecessor, much of the Linux enablement support has been just about adding in new device IDs for the various Raptor Lake classes of processors.

Most of those Raptor Lake IDs have been in the various Intel Linux drivers for a while, since Linux 6.1 or even earlier.

Some Raptor Lake CPU units like the i5-13400 are Alder Lake i9-12900k CPU units that don't meet their targets.

Cores and threads are then deactivated and some tweaks are made, and this i9-12900k is sold as Raptor Lake.

Although it would be an i9-12900k if it hits its targets in tests.

Alder Lake is stable for me on all the tested Linux systems and it performs very well.

Any Raptor Lake CPU should be a perfect experience on Linux for gaming.

A large part of the e-core allocation is done by the CPU itself, the OS only plays a minor role in e-core allocation and it's easy to implement.

I don't think this is relevant

Maybe not for the emulators you use. But you made a general statement that the old mac Mini is powerful enough for retro game emulation.

What I mean by my statement is that this is not generally and always the case.

Although the setup has a powerful CPU, you can see that RPCS3 does not reach 60 FPS in several games.

On top of the performance issues, the RPCS3 also has many more bugs on macOS than on Linux/windows.

Especially if you use the new M1/M2/M3 processors, RPCS3 has many bugs in most games in RPCS3.

RPCS3 is just the most interesting emulator because the PS1 and PS2 look very bad on today's screens.

PS1 looks horrible on 1080p full screen and many people now have higher resolution than 1080p.

Compared to its predecessor, the PS2, the PS3 offers 37.1x as many FLOPS and represents the largest generational jump in graphical performance that any console generation has made.

System Name Project Kairi Mk. IV "Eternal Thunder"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard MSI MEG Z690 ACE (MS-7D27) BIOS 1G
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 w/ Thermalright BCF and NT-H1
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB 32GB DDR5-6800 F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 6400 MT/s 30-38-38-38-70-2
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 1x WD Black SN750 500 GB NVMe + 4x WD VelociRaptor HLFS 300 GB HDDs
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Cooler Master MasterFrame 700
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio (classic) + Sony MDR-V7 cans
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer DeathAdder Essential Mercury White
Keyboard Redragon Shiva Lunar White
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 22H2
Benchmark Scores "Speed isn't life, it just makes it go faster."
Maybe not for the emulators you use. But you made a general statement that the old mac Mini is powerful enough for retro game emulation.

What I mean by my statement is that this is not generally and always the case.

Although the setup has a powerful CPU, you can see that RPCS3 does not reach 60 FPS in several games.

On top of the performance issues, the RPCS3 also has many more bugs on macOS than on Linux/windows.

Especially if you use the new M1/M2/M3 processors, RPCS3 has many bugs in most games in RPCS3.

RPCS3 is just the most interesting emulator because the PS1 and PS2 look very bad on today's screens.

PS1 looks horrible on 1080p full screen and many people now have higher resolution than 1080p.

Compared to its predecessor, the PS2, the PS3 offers 37.1x as many FLOPS and represents the largest generational jump in graphical performance that any console generation has made.

I *suppose* the PS3 already qualifies as retro, being 18 years old and all. What I had in mind were SNES, Genesis, arcade games, maybe up to PS1, N64, GBA and all.