• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

wifi issues

randomperson21

Processor AMD Athlon64 X2 3800+ @ 2.4Ghz
Motherboard ECS NForce4 A-939
Cooling CPU: Zalman CNPS7000B-AlCu GFX: Zalman VF-700AlCu, 2x120mm+5x80mm w/ Ultra 7ch Fan Controller
Memory Kingston 2x512MB DDR PC3200 Dual Channel 3-3-3-8
Video Card(s) EVGA Nvidia 7900GT KO Superclocked
Storage 2xSeagate Barracuda 7200.8/9 160GB SATAII NCQ in RAID0: 300GB total capacity
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster 941BW (19" widescreen, 1440x900)
Case Antec P180B
Audio Device(s) Built in. 5.1Ch Logitech Z-5500 500w soundsystem, digital Coax connection
Power Supply Spire 500W
Software Windows Vista Ultimate
ok so i'm getting these bluescreens every once and awhile now, ever since i put in a new airlink usb wifi adapter thingy.

heres a screenie:

sorry for the quality, its my pda's camera....

i'm thinking its the wifi usb dongle thats causing the problems. it tends to get a bit warm, and when the system bluescreens, the blue status light on it turns off.

any suggestions on how to remedy this? its starting to get irritating when i have to do big downloads, and it bluescreens.

thx!

zekrahminator

McLovin
Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Brisbane @ 2.8GHz (224x12.5, 1.425V)
Motherboard Gigabyte sumthin-or-another, it's got an nForce 430
Cooling Dual 120mm case fans front/rear, Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro, Zalman VF-900 on GPU
Memory 2GB G.Skill DDR2 800
Video Card(s) Sapphire X850XT @ 580/600
Storage WD 160 GB SATA hard drive.
Display(s) Hanns G 19" widescreen, 5ms response time, 1440x900
Case Thermaltake Soprano (black with side window).
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Live! 24 bit (paired with X-530 speakers).
Power Supply ThermalTake 430W TR2
Software XP Home SP2, can't wait for Vista SP1.
Buy a brand other then D-Link? :laugh:.

randomperson21

Processor AMD Athlon64 X2 3800+ @ 2.4Ghz
Motherboard ECS NForce4 A-939
Cooling CPU: Zalman CNPS7000B-AlCu GFX: Zalman VF-700AlCu, 2x120mm+5x80mm w/ Ultra 7ch Fan Controller
Memory Kingston 2x512MB DDR PC3200 Dual Channel 3-3-3-8
Video Card(s) EVGA Nvidia 7900GT KO Superclocked
Storage 2xSeagate Barracuda 7200.8/9 160GB SATAII NCQ in RAID0: 300GB total capacity
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster 941BW (19" widescreen, 1440x900)
Case Antec P180B
Audio Device(s) Built in. 5.1Ch Logitech Z-5500 500w soundsystem, digital Coax connection
Power Supply Spire 500W
Software Windows Vista Ultimate
haha believe it or not its not d-link. sorry if i didn't make this clear enough.

its an airlink usb wifi dongle, the one that frys usually sells for about $10. i'm going to crack open the case tonite and figure out whats getting hot, and maybe put a small hsf on it. hehe....

loci8

Either you got a defect device or it should be a software issue. Beginning at Bios, over to device drivers, end in updating all other device drivers too. That would not be the first device that doesn't "like" an other specific device.
This bluescreen is (in my opinion) a kind of a device-driver issue. Maybe you never get the wifi-thingi to run and the manufacturer puts a warning message in the corresponding website in some weeks: "Thingy does not operate when following other devices are found in the computer ...". Even that would not be the first time to happen.

So update all your device drivers, windowsupdate too.

To open the device will not help you I think, whats getting warm is the controller respective the transmission-amplifier that stuck in an error-state because the computer does not send them the "go to standby and wait for new commands"-message.

I have a very old WLAN-USB-Stick which has also a 32MB Flash on it. I use(d) only the flash and the stick got warm too, because I haven't installed the WLAN-device drivers and like said above, the WLAN-part of the stick stayed in this uninitialized status.

-------------
Another thing crossed my mind: Maybe this are the """normal""" generic Windows-USB-device-driver-problems we all know sadly. Have you installed the driver in the noted way in the manual? For example, install first the driver, reboot, then put in the Wifi-Stick, ...
Have you changed the USB-Port to another one than the one the stick was putted in the first time?
Lousy drivers (and Windows) cannot handle it when installing in wrong order respective changing the port. Windows tries to re-configurate/re-install the drivers for the new port and maybe, in that point your pc crashes.
Sometimes you have to use a special driver-uninstall-tool from the manufacturer or if such thing doesn't exist, clean your Windows manually, i.e. delete the corresponding *.inf and manually clean the registry.

Azn Tr14dZ

Processor AMD Athlon 64 3200+
Motherboard DFI LanParty nf4 Ultra-D
Cooling Thermaltake Big Typhoon
Memory 2x512MB GeIL
Video Card(s) ATI Radeon X800XL
Storage 2x80GB Western Digital
Display(s) HP vs17
Case SuperTalent
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster
Power Supply Ultra X-Finity 500 Watt
I thought the title said "Wii Problems" and I was like wow! Someone already has a Wii...but it's WiFi...go on, go on.

And yeah, any of those AirLink that Fry's sells, I don't like it, a D-Link is better, and is more reliable. They sell it cheap for a reason...and they don't advertise D-Link or LynkSys, just AirLink.

System Name Sample light
Processor AMD Phenom II 965
Motherboard MSI DKA790GX
Cooling Zalman 9500LED
Memory 2x 2GB G-skill PC8500
Video Card(s) Asus built AMD/ATI HD4850
Storage 500GB Wesern Digital green
Display(s) too ashamed to tell, but its an acer
Case Lian Li V2000
Audio Device(s) Echo Audiofire 2
Power Supply Corsair VX550
Software Windows XP pro SP3
theres a few reasons why this could be happening

1) shitty drivers, update drivers, if not solved, then next time get a decent brand or look for wifi devices with same chipset, their drivers could work here,

2) Power issue,
a normal usb device can suck up to 120mA off the usb, but some devices can negotiate up to 550mA, USB wifi devices usualy suck the entire 550mA, some boards cant handle that, depends on the board, the psu, could cause instability, usualy resolved by using a usb hub with external power supply to feed the juice,

3) Windows power managment, be sure to turn off power managment for the wifi connector in the device administration,

4) what else is on the same USB hub ? even if its different ports on the board, they could be part of the same logical or fisical hub, take that in to account, rearrange your usb devices