1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Will it work?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Devon68, May 4, 2014.

1. Devon68

Devon68

Thanks Received:
    I have been thinking of installing Windows 8 on my old Windows XP machine so that I can go online again.

Specs:
    CPU: Athlon 2200+
    Mobo: EPOX 8RDA3I
    GPU: Powercolor HD 3450 AGP
    ram: 1GB kingston DDR1

Will it work?

2. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Hi

Go here select "Can my PC run Windows 8.1?" from the list of FAQ
    Select: Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant

atb

Law-II

Devon68 says thanks.
  3. Constantine Yevseyev

Constantine Yevseyev

Thanks Received:
    I'm sorry but it won't, your CPU does not support SSE2 instruction set.
    The graphics adapter is not supported in Windows 8.1 and Windows 8.1 Update, too, because AMD doesn't provide HD 3000 Series AGP users with WDDM 1.3 compatible driver software. Which basically means it might work, but it's rather a matter of your luck, and so you can only count on original Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 (I'm not sure whether Microsoft dropped support for them or not, so you might also not be able to use Windows Update before you install 8.1/2012 R2 update).

Devon68 says thanks.
  4. Devon68

Devon68

Thanks Received:
    I might just have to install windows 7 32 bit. Cant find any drivers for my gpu nor the mobo for win8 but for win 7 I found a driver for my gpu, the mobo should be fine with the win 7 drivers.

5. Constantine Yevseyev

Constantine Yevseyev

Thanks Received:
    Well, let's see what we got here.
    Your motherboard shouldn't be fine. Some of its parts will not be detected properly: usually it's SM Bus and PCI Express Root, and the second one cannot be ignored like it's something useless. The audio codec is rather rare, and I don't think it's compatible with anything but Windows XP. The AGP controller is yet another questionable thing: I've done some research and it seems that Windows 7 can't recognize it at all, and you also can't replace Windows Vista/7 nForce drivers with those designed for Windows XP.
    Overall, there's a 100% chance that Windows 7 not only will be terribly slow on your machine, but it also might not be able to make most of your hardware work. I'd say you won't get your AGP logic to work, and therefore your ATI GPU will only work as a Basic Adapter.
    If you really need to get this machine to perform at least some of the simplest tasks, then you can either go for Windows XP, or you can try something lightweight from *NIX ecosystem (Scientific Linux, Lubuntu, see for yourself at DistroWatch if you're interested). Modern Windows is not an option, I'm sorry.

6. Devon68

Devon68

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I guess it looks like I should stick to XP then.

Last edited: May 4, 2014
    Constantine Yevseyev says thanks.
  7. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    linux mint?

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. Constantine Yevseyev

Constantine Yevseyev

Thanks Received:
    Even then you have to be really careful with your settings and resource usage. For example, you will probably need to stick to Internet Explorer 8 as the latest available browser for XP and the least resource-hungry (Google Chrome will blow your machine up, it's pretty obvious, while Firefox ESR might actually do the trick, I don't know).
    No way. The most popular spin, yet literally the worst (customized Ubuntu, it manages to run slow even on my i5-4200U just like the distro it's originated from).

Vario says thanks.
  9. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    Thanks, I had a friend raving about it with his ancient fx57 system thats the only reason I suggested it, good info.

Constantine Yevseyev says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU