• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

win 11 better than 10 for 12900k?

ir_cow

Staff member
I don’t think you can compare 10 to NT comparing it to 11, that’s a little far fetched. As most people already pointed out (everywhere not just here), it’s mostly a incremental upgrade and a cosmetic one, and none of the “functions” it brings to the table are important. I’m sorry, it’s not Windows 7 or 10, it’s just like another 8.1.
Ummm didnt of of them completely rewrite the code and remove DOS support as the backbone. Another editon changed the file system format as well. Those are pretty big changes.

Remember when you has to install all the drivers? Yeah now either you can use the built in ones or it auto DLs everything for you.

System Name EA-ZEN
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D with -50mW UV
Motherboard Asus X570
Cooling Big Air
Memory 2x16 GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 2080 Ti Strix highly OC’ed
Storage 1 TB NVME, 500 GB SSD etc
Display(s) 2x 27”, main: curved 144Hz SVA with BLS and HDR
Case Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Z906 5.1 and Audeze Headphones, Shure SM7B mic
Power Supply Enough
Mouse Old but gold
Keyboard Mechanical Cherry Brown
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores A lot
Ummm didnt of of them completely rewrite the code and remove DOS support as the backbone. Another editon changed the file system format as well. Those are pretty big changes.

Remember when you has to install all the drivers? Yeah now either you can use the built in ones or it auto DLs everything for you.
NT was a new system not based on DOS unlike Windows 1.0-3.1, while 95-ME were still based on DOS. The biggest revolution so to say, was when both were united into XP, as XP was the successor both to ME and Windows 2000. Internally todays Windows are still sometimes referred to as “NT x.x” versions. There was another bigger change with Vista which introduced a new interface and a lot of improvements that we take for granted today, like very automated drivers, higher safety and backups. Windows 7 was a refinement of Vista, 8 and 8.1 were a iterative upgrade of 7 with touch support and centered around touch control for tablets and phones. Windows 10 again united this into one OS with good touch support as well as regular, with START button also coming back, instead of the dreaded touch interface which Microsoft wanted you to use with 8. 11 is another iterative upgrade, no revolutions here, hence why I’ll probably skip it entirely, just like people did with 8/8.1 or Vista. On the other hand a lot of people talked nonsense about 8, never tried it, and 8.1 was actually pretty good, better than 7 and the missing start button was easily provided via a small and free app I installed. I stumbled into 8.1 by accident because I thought it would support my GPU better and I actually liked it. Then I took the free upgrade to 10, otherwise I would’ve stayed with 7 and upgraded to 10 to take advantage of DX12.