• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 11 General Discussion

Processor Intel i5 8400
Motherboard Asus Prime H370M-Plus/CSM
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken & Noctua NF-A15 HS-PWM chromax.black.swap
Memory 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) ROG-STRIX-GTX1060-O6G-GAMING
Storage 1TB 980 Pro
Display(s) Samsung UN55KU6300F
Case Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III 750w
Software W11 Pro
Windows is business software. Real world that means very few up to date, updates. It does mean up to date security at the low level of personal usage inside of industrial security measures taken. Meaning browser usage and potential for opening files with nasties.

Lex is almost completely likely to be correct in his firm stance on security updates. It would be something beyond belief if they told their entire consumer class userbase something as new as 22H2 was being utterly and completely abandoned. Business customers? That would induce a blind panic and lawsuits over the costs involved to even get the ball rolling on getting the ball rolling this decade.

Panic Reaction GIF

System Name Ryzen 3 Build
Processor Ryzen 5 5600x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite b550
Memory GSkill Ripjaws V (2x16GB)
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Trio 10GB
Storage SSD (250GB) + SSD (500GB) + HDD (1TB)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro PH-ES614P
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 750W 80+ Gold
Software Windows 10 64Bit
Windows is business software. Real world that means very few up to date, updates. It does mean up to date security at the low level of personal usage inside of industrial security measures taken. Meaning browser usage and potential for opening files with nasties.

Lex is almost completely likely to be correct in his firm stance on security updates. It would be something beyond belief if they told their entire consumer class userbase something as new as 22H2 was being utterly and completely abandoned. Business customers? That would induce a blind panic and lawsuits over the costs involved to even get the ball rolling on getting the ball rolling this decade.

Panic Reaction GIF
Well now you're just spreading FUD. Business customers should be on enterprise, which gets an entire year of extra support (three years total compared to consumer two years). Judging by Microsoft's current yearly release cadence, that gives business users two years to prepare for EOL. No one should be going into a 'blind panic'..

Last I checked, Microsoft has already told their customers exactly when 22h2 is being 'abandoned' (EOL)... maybe you guys can point me to the panic and lawsuits you're referring to.
1699542961276.png

This kind of release cycle has been going on for 10 years now, so I'm not sure why you think any lawsuits would succeed in this regard or are even necessary.

Like I said, if your OS continues to get updates outside of the official support window, great! But no business in their right mind would put themselves at such a huge risk to continue using Windows after EOL just because the updates keep rolling in. They will upgrade for that guarantee of support, according to official Microsoft documentation.

Disclaimer: I work for a company with over 100k employees, IT has never had any issues keeping us up-to-date with Windows releases. I used to work in IT as well and it's really not as huge a deal as you and lex are making it out to be..

Attachments

• 1699542904801.png
    1699542904801.png
    43.5 KB · Views: 31
Well now you're just spreading FUD. Business customers should be on enterprise, which gets an entire year of extra support (three years total compared to consumer two years). Judging by Microsoft's current yearly release cadence, that gives business users two years to prepare for EOL. No one should be going into a 'blind panic'..

Last I checked, Microsoft has already told their customers exactly when 22h2 is being 'abandoned' (EOL)... maybe you guys can point me to the panic and lawsuits you're referring to.
View attachment 320849

This kind of release cycle has been going on for 10 years now, so I'm not sure why you think any lawsuits would succeed in this regard or are even necessary.

Like I said, if your OS continues to get updates outside of the official support window, great! But no business in their right mind would put themselves at such a huge risk to continue using Windows after EOL just because the updates keep rolling in. They will upgrade for that guarantee of support, according to official Microsoft documentation.

Disclaimer: I work for a company with over 100k employees, IT has never had any issues keeping us up-to-date with Windows releases. I used to work in IT as well and it's really not as huge a deal as you and lex are making it out to be..
Just an FYI, I currently work IT Administration. And no, MOST of our workstations are NOT on Enterprise and are not suppose to be. Take your comments elsewhere. I'm not arguing this any further. You do you.

System Name Ghetto Rigs z490|x99|Acer 17 Nitro 7840hs/ 5600c40-2x16/ 4060/ 1tb acer stock m.2/ 4tb sn850x
Processor 10900k w/Optimus Foundation | 5930k w/Black Noctua D15
Motherboard z490 Maximus XII Apex | x99 Sabertooth
Cooling oCool D5 res-combo/280 GTX/ Optimus Foundation/ gpu water block | Blk D15
Memory Trident-Z Royal 4000c16 2x16gb | Trident-Z 3200c14 4x8gb
Video Card(s) Titan Xp-water | evga 980ti gaming-w/ air
Storage 970evo+500gb & sn850x 4tb | 860 pro 256gb | Acer m.2 1tb/ sn850x 4tb| Many2.5" sata's ssd 3.5hdd's
Display(s) 1-AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz/ 2nd 1-ASUS VG248QE 24"/ 3rd LG 43" series
Case D450 | Cherry Entertainment center on Test bench
Audio Device(s) Built in Realtek x2 with 2-Insignia 2.0 sound bars & 1-LG sound bar
Power Supply EVGA 1000P2 with APC AX1500 | 850P2 with CyberPower-GX1325U
Mouse Redragon 901 Perdition x3
Keyboard G710+x3
Software Win-7 pro x3 and win-10 & 11pro x3
Benchmark Scores Are in the benchmark section
Hi,
Just a little update
The iso rufus downloaded is good for home/ pro or edu so yeah it was 6.5gbs.

System Name System V
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Prime X570-P
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 // a bunch of 120 mm Xigmatek 1500 RPM fans (2 ins, 3 outs)
Memory 2x8GB Ballistix Sport LT 3200 MHz (BLS8G4D32AESCK.M8FE) (CL16-18-18-36)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte AORUS Radeon RX 580 8 GB
Storage SHFS37A240G / DT01ACA200 / WD20EZRX / ST10000VN0008 / SA400S37960G / SNV21000G / NM620 2TB
Display(s) LG 22MP55 IPS Display
Case NZXT Source 210
Audio Device(s) Logitech G430 Headset
Power Supply Corsair CX650M
Mouse Microsoft Trackball Optical 1.0
Keyboard HP Vectra VE keyboard (Part # D4950-63004)
Software Whatever build of Windows 11 is being served in Dev channel at the time.
Benchmark Scores Corona 1.3: 3120620 r/s Cinebench R20: 3355 FireStrike: 12490 TimeSpy: 4624
something as new as 22H2 was being utterly and completely abandoned.
Microsoft isn't talking about 22H2 being EOL-ed. 21H2 is being EOL-ed, and only for Home/Pro editions.

Processor Ryzen 5 5600x
Just an FYI, I currently work IT Administration. And no, MOST of our workstations are NOT on Enterprise and are not suppose to be. Take your comments elsewhere. I'm not arguing this any further. You do you.
Yikes, that was a quick retreat o_O

Anyways, this is an open forum so I can comment as I please. You are not the final say on what goes on here :/ I thought we could have a discussion about proper mitigations to avoid potential 'panic' and keep services up-to-date.

I can only hope that anyone who comes across this forum looking for help or information disregards your 'expert' advice and instead refers to Microsoft directly for when their OS will be EOL and should upgrade, unless they seriously know what they're doing, like you or myself, for example.

But you're right, let's move on from this subject.

Yikes, that was a quick retreat o_O
I have better things to do with my time than to argue about mute points.

I can only hope that anyone who comes across this forum looking for help or information disregards your 'expert' advice
That says more about you then it does me. Stop with the personal comments.

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name Naboo (2019)
Processor AMD 3800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Master V1 (X470)
Cooling individual EKWB/Heatkiller loop
Memory 4*8 GB 3600 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 5700XT
Storage SSD 1TB PCIe 4.0x4, 2 TB PCIe 3.0
Display(s) 2*WQHD
Case Lian Li O11 Rog
Audio Device(s) Hifiman, Topping DAC/KHV
Power Supply Seasonic 850W Gold
Mouse Logitech MX2, Logitech MX Ergo Trackball
Keyboard Cherry Stream Wireless, Logitech MX Keys
Software Linux Mint "Vera" Cinnamon
Just one small question. I rebooted my system around 30 mins ago. Since then I got that small overlay on my desktop on the upper right corner above the three windows icons (Close, maximize, minimize).

Screenshot (57).png

Does anybody knows where it comes from? I don't want to have/use it. I use Win11 and the Radeon Pro driver. It is showing status information about the GPU (FOS, Usage, Temp) and also the Usage of the CPU.

Processor Intel i5 8400
Motherboard Asus Prime H370M-Plus/CSM
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken & Noctua NF-A15 HS-PWM chromax.black.swap
Memory 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) ROG-STRIX-GTX1060-O6G-GAMING
Storage 1TB 980 Pro
Display(s) Samsung UN55KU6300F
Case Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III 750w
Software W11 Pro
Microsoft isn't talking about 22H2 being EOL-ed. 21H2 is being EOL-ed, and only for Home/Pro editions.

Thanks, early morning typo.

@Halo3Addict find your peace on that hill you are defending. My entry was solely to avoid escalation against a single member who has solid basis to know of what he speaks.

Does anybody knows where it comes from? I don't want to have/use it. I use Win11 and the Radeon Pro driver. It is showing status information about the GPU (FOS, Usage, Temp) and also the Usage of the CPU.

Sounds like a background update or time out. Clearly it has something to do with AMD display program (or a third party helper software you installed boldly inserting itself).

Having no experience there I'll stop at suggesting the Windows Store AMD app is going to be a good place to start if it has been made as mandatory as the Intel one. This type of behavior suggests that type of origin.

Last edited:
System Name Naboo (2019)
Processor AMD 3800x
Display(s) 2*WQHD
Case Lian Li O11 Rog
I also thought about the AMD display driver. Actually i have paused the windows updates. But yesterday there was an update askiing me to reboot. It seems that i will unsinstall the AMD Display driver. On my new rig i will primary run Linux. Windows is only for configuration tasks (Aqua computer items).

As i thought and also mentioned. I uninstalled the AMD Pro Drivers (2023.q3.1 or so) and the box disappeared. Thanks folk's!

System Name System V
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 // a bunch of 120 mm Xigmatek 1500 RPM fans (2 ins, 3 outs)
Storage SHFS37A240G / DT01ACA200 / WD20EZRX / ST10000VN0008 / SA400S37960G / SNV21000G / NM620 2TB
Case NZXT Source 210
Software Whatever build of Windows 11 is being served in Dev channel at the time.
Benchmark Scores Corona 1.3: 3120620 r/s Cinebench R20: 3355 FireStrike: 12490 TimeSpy: 4624
Just one small question. I rebooted my system around 30 mins ago. Since then I got that small overlay on my desktop on the upper right corner above the three windows icons (Close, maximize, minimize).

View attachment 320884

Though you resolved it by uninstalling the drivers, you should be able to enable or disable it with a keyboard combination, which should be Control + Shift + O (letter O) or through Radeon Software. Performance tab, Metrics, Overlay on the right
1699559230691.png

System Name Naboo (2019)
Processor AMD 3800x
Display(s) 2*WQHD
Case Lian Li O11 Rog
My system has to earn money. I don't want to guess where i can switch off apearing things. I even don't need the drivers. The system also runs without. I need to take care that the OpenSCad and all the programs belonging to my 3D printer and 3D scanner works. Also actually that Excel/Outlook works and i can work there. My new build will be running on Linux including the alternatives for Excel and outlook. At Excel i need to reprogram all my macroes. That are roundabout 10.000 Lines of code.

I really don't need such problems like where the heck this or that overlay comes from. My PC's are only workstations.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
Can I ask when people are arguing points, they do it with some civility. Thanks.

I need to take care that the OpenSCad and all the programs belonging to my 3D printer and 3D scanner works.
You have a few choices on that front.

A. Disconnect from the internet entirely to prevent updates and changes to your configuration.
B. If the internet is required, disable anything not required for your setup to run.
C. If disabling services and programs is not an option, install a PROPER firewall(not the Windows built-in crap), learn how to use it effectively and tightly control what can get on the net and when.
D. If C is not an option, you'll need to find someone who can help you regulate how your system image is configured.

With the exception of option A, everything you will need to do to prevent Windows Update from screwing with your configuration has a learning curve and you should expect to spend some time deep-diving a method of one kind or another.

System Name Naboo (2019)
Processor AMD 3800x
Display(s) 2*WQHD
Case Lian Li O11 Rog
...A. Disconnect from the internet entirely to prevent updates and changes to your configuration.
B. If the internet is required, disable anything not required for your setup to run.
C. If disabling services and programs is not an option, install a PROPER firewall(not the Windows built-in crap), learn how to use it effectively and tightly control what can get on the net and when.
D. If C is not an option, you'll need to find someone who can help you regulate how your system image is configured.

With the exception of option A, everything you will need to do to prevent Windows Update from screwing with your configuration has a learning curve and you should expect to spend some time deep-diving a method of one kind or another.

Thanks for your help.

A) doesn't work. I use i-e-Lychee slicer. That one checks at each start the correct license and also about updates for the program and new definitions on Resin and Printers. So...
B) I'd thrown nearby everyything out of the Autostart, Even OneNote is forbidden to start. So that...
C) D) is not neccessary.

Disabling the Updates don't work as i domn't know (and i'm not interested) which exact Windows build is needed. I will close my Windows learning curve in a short time (< 6 Month) and migrate ovr to Linux. This is already planned and tested. I was only surprised about that suddenly appearing Overlay showing that box. Also i don't know what i drank to install the AMD device drivers. nBut it must habe been real strong. :D I had a lot of projects implementing Unix programs. My first Linux i installed back in the 90'ies. There one had to download the sources and a C++ Compiler (djgpp) to get Linux started and running. Also at Windows NT 4.0 i did develop software professionally. I still remember the time, when one should not have installed all even service packs. I'm more a dinosaur at the branch of the professional IT. I did code in Cobol and PL/2 on IBM S370 Mainframes already in the '80ies. I started at computers with assembler in the Mid of the 70'ies. ;)

System Name Naboo (2019)
Processor AMD 3800x
Display(s) 2*WQHD
Case Lian Li O11 Rog
For the last month i don't care

I paused the MS Updates at the confiduration panels and there was an update. As it seems in future MS wants to read my mails,... Not a good idea. I will do a full migration. As usual in my work i created a full migration plann. I identified all used Programs, researched for their Linux alternatives. Tested the migration path etc. I will install a small service partition on my new rig. There i will run Windows. I.e. to configure the AquaComputer devices. A bigger System partition holds the daily runer. ZorinOS Linux. There i will work on LibreOffice,... Most of my 3D Programs are the same. I don't need Windows in general. So i won't use it any more.

System Name Ghetto Rigs z490|x99|Acer 17 Nitro 7840hs/ 5600c40-2x16/ 4060/ 1tb acer stock m.2/ 4tb sn850x
Cooling oCool D5 res-combo/280 GTX/ Optimus Foundation/ gpu water block | Blk D15
Storage 970evo+500gb & sn850x 4tb | 860 pro 256gb | Acer m.2 1tb/ sn850x 4tb| Many2.5" sata's ssd 3.5hdd's
Display(s) 1-AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz/ 2nd 1-ASUS VG248QE 24"/ 3rd LG 43" series
Audio Device(s) Built in Realtek x2 with 2-Insignia 2.0 sound bars & 1-LG sound bar
Keyboard G710+x3
Hi,
Just hooking up my old 500gb 970 evo plus on a rainy day atm
Restored a win-11 pro on it and it's not booting atm unlike when I first got it and put win-10 pro with the same process 11 is too picky driver is installed

Without a 22h2 iso I had to use .\uup_download_windows.cmd to get 22h2 lol
Rufus is getting the iso ready atm hopefully it will fix the booting issue reflect winpe failed to :/

Hi,
Just hooking up my old 500gb 970 evo plus on a rainy day atm
Restored a win-11 pro on it and it's not booting atm unlike when I first got it and put win-10 pro with the same process 11 is too picky driver is installed

Without a 22h2 iso I had to use .\uup_download_windows.cmd to get 22h2 lol
Rufus is getting the iso ready atm hopefully it will fix the booting issue reflect winpe failed to :/
Weird. That's a new one. Is the partition boot flag set?

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage Intel 905p Optane 960GB boot, +2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64 / Windows 11 Enterprise IoT 2024
Business customers should be on enterprise
Which is just the pro image with a difference license key and better support policies (officially anyways).

PS: I would know, I use enterprise at my home business.

Keyboard G710+x3
Weird. That's a new one. Is the partition boot flag set?
Hi,
Yeah everything worked eventually
22H2 iso started to fix some stuff finally instead of aa auto bsod spin "select boot device" blah...
But said it failed to fix the boot issue and I tried to boot again anyway and it failed of course

Then inserted reflect winpe again and used it's startuo repair and all is good now so go figure 8th+- times the charm :laugh:

I decided to pass on 23H2 for now generated AI really isn't important enough to mess with atm
M.2 for win-11 well I've had the damn thing for ever and I guess with 11 on the m.2 I can just eject all my 2.5" hdd's/ ssd to mount 23H2 later.

Processor Ryzen 5 5600x
Which is just the pro image with a difference license key and better support policies (officially anyways).

PS: I would know, I use enterprise at my home business.
Yeah, I don't think I was trying to argue that they are vastly different images. My main point is enterprise has a better (and longer) support window to help address any concerns with a windows release being 'abandoned'.

System Name System V
Case NZXT Source 210
Keyboard G710+x3
Hi,
Yep need ublock origin os version :laugh: