• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows XP professional

easmurthy

I am having problems with my PC. The system started rebooting while I was trying to login yesterday. Since then, the system boots up till the Windows XP logo is displayed and starts rebooting. When I tried to go to "Safe Mode" the process stops at "Partition c:\Windows\ststen32\Drivers\Mup.Sys" and starts rebooting. This loop goes on.

Can any one suggest how to repair/reinstall the XP professional edition.

ex_reven

chuck the disk in and restart

You should get a black screen followed by
"Press any key to boot from cd" or similar.
Hit enter and follow the prompts. It will tell you to hit "r" to repair your installation of windows.

If you dont get the "press any key to boot from cd" you need to go into bios and change your boot order so that the cd drive boots before your hard drive.

Ehstii

System Name Betty
Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz @ 3.16(weak i know, waiting on better HSF)
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-MA69G-S3H AM2 690G HDMI
Cooling Standard heatsink
Memory A-DATA 2GB(2x1GB dual channel) DDR2 800
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce 7900GS 256MB
Storage 2x250GB Seagate SataII, 2x250GB Maxtor SataII, 1x120GB Maxtor SataII
Display(s) 22" Widescreen Acer LCD Flat Panel Monitor
Case AMS CF-6129BKS Black w/Silver bezel Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Audio Device(s) OB
Power Supply Rosewill RP550-2-S ATX12V v2.01 550W Power Supply
Software Windows XP SP2, Adobe Master Collection CS3, WoW, COD4, Cubase LE, Office 2007, Bit Comet, & more...
Benchmark Scores 3DMark06 - 4710
run "chkdsk /r" in repair mode

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Motherboard AsRock B650 HDVM.2
Cooling CPU : Corsair Hydro XC7 }{ GPU: EK FC 1080 via Magicool 360 III PRO > Photon 170 (D5)
Memory 32GB Gskill Flare X5
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 TI
Storage Samsung 9series NVM 2TB and Rust
Display(s) Predator X34P/Tempest X270OC @ 120hz / LG W3000h
Case Fractal Define S [Antec Skeleton hanging in hall of fame]
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Xense with AKG K612 cans on Monacor SA-100
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores FFXIV ARR Benchmark 12,883 on i7 2600k 15,098 on AM5 7600x
It's always good to keep a copy of all the .sys and config files, so that you can replace or repair broken ones manually whenever a boot process becomes corrupted. Though obviously you are past that point. Have you considered finding a copy of that file online somewhere, or from a XP installation disk?
Might be a long shot though...

Definatley try /chkdsk, and see if it will automatically clean up any errors.

Try Google for something like:
http://www.computing.net/windowsxp/wwwboard/forum/97354.html
http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/31874/?o=0

It's annoying to sift through all the responses, but there's multiple things to attempt.

Have you made any large hardware or software changes recently, say a Windows automatic update, BIOS tinkering or new graphics card?

As a quick suggestion, make sure your HDD is #1 for boot priority, then hit f8 when booting up and start a command prompt.
Should be in C:\> by default. Try accessing the Windows directory of :

cd Windows\System32\driver\ if you can reach it, then rename MUP.sys to say MUP.bak, then reboot and see what happens.
If it lets you into XP, take a good copy of the file from the machine you're on, or from online and place it in the drivers folder and see if it happens again.

Could also try setting BIOS to default settings. And/or as a last resort, you can keep your data in tact and do as Reven said, by setting your boot priority in BIOS with CD ROM first, then doing a reinstall, "keep system files in tact" rather than reformatting. You will lose all of your custom GUI settings in XP, and probably have some conflicting or lacking registry information regarding the data already on the drive, (your data) but it will at least let you into XP(theoretically). From there you can decide what to do with your important files, then consider a fresh XP install.

Last edited: