1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows XP SP3

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Kajikun, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Kajikun

Kajikun New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am trying to downgrade my HP pavillion dv6000 to a modded version of windows called XP SP3 crap removed edition that is optimized for gaming. My vesion of vista is slowing down this laptop wayy too much.

I have burned the iso to a bootable disc, but when I boot from it, the windows installer says "Windows installer could not continue; No Hard drive was detected". I also tried opening the disk through vista, but the "install windows" button was greyed out and i could not downgrade/install it. My friend says i need to replace the hard drive in order to downgrade because its a locked HP drive. i figure somone would know a bios update or a dll file i could delete to get this working.

anyone?

2. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    theirs a possability its a locked HDD....i know the repair partition is....you could try a third party formatter like deriks boot and nuke..and then try to install or it could be your version of XP i know those hacked versions have alot cut out...its good for gaming but if you run an advanced config..like sata boot drives etc..those editions tend to cut alot of that usually "not mainstream" stuff which makes it a pain or impossible to install on those ppls setups like if your installing on raid..or a sata drive etc...not saying thats your case but they cut stuff like that out might want to check on it.

Kajikun says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU More than 25k PPD
  3. Kajikun

Kajikun New Member

Thanks Received:
    well i suppose i will nuke it... the only problem with that is that i dont have the restore disk for the vista on here, but i suppose since the key is taped on the bottom i could obtain the disk the sameway i got the sp3 =p now to google disk nuke o_O

4. PyroX1040 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I agree with Solaris for once I think it's locked or somehow blocked off from you editing it

5. Solaris17

Thanks Received:
  6. PyroX1040 New Member

Thanks Received:
    well I've read what you've posted some times I agree some times I don't >.>

7. thraxed Guest

Well if your laptop is like mine, it has a sata hard drive. Your problem is not that the hard drive is locked, its just that xp doesn't contain sata drivers. If your laptop has a floppy drive, ya can press f6 at the start of the install to install the additional drivers. Or research slipstreaming your sata drivers into your xp cd. There a program called nLite that makes it easy, though i hear it has problems with sp3 slipstreamed, might wanna do sp2 and then just run sp3 standalone.

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Here is a link to the drivers for the XP version of your notebook. :D

10 Year Member at TPU
  9. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    Your absolutely correct. You need to install 3rd party drivers via a floppy drive (usb) or the slipstream method. Being that the modded XP sp3 has already been slipstreamed, the usb floppy is your only choice. You can check the bios and see if you can change the sata emulation to IDE.

10 Year Member at TPU
  10. hat

hat Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    lies, I've installed XP on MY serial drive many times

11. Kajikun

Kajikun New Member

Thanks Received:
    Deriks boot n nuke didnt work and i am willing to bet its the sata problem, anyone know where i could get the 3rd party drivers? i dont want to install SP2 cause the only disk i have is Dell OEM [also known as death on the rocks] and i am unfamiliar with standalone SP3

12. Solaris17

Thanks Received:
    you can....you can get sata drivers to install at boot...however i need the exact make of your mainboard...like the company and model.......i mean you have your chipset version...however googling that got me mobo's from evga gagabye asus etc....you could also try popping in your non dell xp disk and when it says hit F6 for sata drivers or w/e hit F6 and pop in your dell disk and try to search for them.

13. b1lk1

b1lk1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    You better make very sure you can get XP drivers for the entire system as many new Vista laptops only have Vista drivers.

10 Year Member at TPU