• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Would be this Storage-layout possible?

Gab

System Name GabyStation 5 (GS5)
Processor Ryzen 7 3700x + Corsair H150i Pro
Motherboard Asus ROG CH VIII Wifi
Cooling 17 fans
Memory 32 Gb DDR4 Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 1070Ti
Storage SSD's + HDD's = 18 drives
Display(s) Acer Predator XB271HU + Acer P214W (1920x1200)
Case Corsair Obsidian 900D
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steelseries Rival 600 + Logitech G602 + Corsair Ironclaw RGB wireless
Keyboard Logitech G19 + Logitech G710+
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
First of all, good morning/afternoon and thanks in advance for your time and advice.

Well, as the title describe, I would to know if this layout would be possible to expand the available storage in the 'Asus X570 ROG CH VIII Wifi':

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-Crosshair-VIII-Hero-WI-FI/

I came from an ASRock Z77 Extreme 11 with 14 SATA ports and with this update I'm suffering the 'lack' of SATA ports. Please avoid comments like 'Why do you need ...?'. The reasons are 'time', 'I want to' and 'Why not?'.

My plan is on the image. I have used a pencil to draw the storage-layout I want to install taking into account the available PCIe lanes and approximate bandwidth. I hope I didn't make a mistake with my calculations and this is the reason why I consult you for your opinion and advice.

Summarizing the plan, I want to install:

* 8 x SSD (of several capacities and brands) installed on the motherboard SATA slots (SSD 6th to 7th to be determined)
* 1 M.2 SSD (Samsung EVO 970+) on the M.2 slot 1
* 1 M.2 SSD (Sabrent) on the M.2 slot 2
* 1 M.2 SSD with an adapter on PCIex16_3 (Crucial P1)
* 8 x HDD of 4 Tb (several brands) installed on a SAS Card (IT mode) with PCIe 3.0 x 8 (No RAID needed). The details of this card are:

Considerations:

1) I understand that the PCIe lanes of the motherboard are PCIe 4.0 and provide the maximal bandwidth I drew which can be used by the PCIe slots depending of the version of PCIe that use the addon-card used.

2) I understand that the SATA slots don't consume any PCIe lane, at least in the case of this motherboard. If this is wrong I would to know how much it affects my storage plan.

3) I understand that the SAS card can provide a maximal bandwidth of 8 Gb/s which are more than enough for running 8 HDD.

4) Is there anyone who knows if a card as the 'Asus Hyper V2' (an expander card to attach 4 M.2 SSD) can be used in a 4x4 non-RAID mode? (in the PCIex16_2)

MB Layout.jpg

Again, thanks everybody and have a nice day.