1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Wow account hacked into ! Ahhhh

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Sir_Real, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Sir_Real

Sir_Real New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've been abit p*ss*d off 2day ! My sons been playing wow since last xmas hes only 9 & has managed to get him self to level 54 so far with & no help from me. Yesterday i brought him "Wrath of the Lich King". He was like :)
    Well this morning he tryed to sign in to play the game. Was surprized to see the incorrect password error :eek: was defo correct as well. So tried to recover the password via email, No luck their ! Was just getting a message saying this account has been suspended for 24hrs :eek: WTF ! Looked at my emails & at 11.50 last night someone some how merged my wow account with their own Battle.net account. Heres the email from blizzard:

"Hello dfas,

This e-mail notification is to inform you that the World of Warcraft account, s*******, has just been merged into a Battle.net account. If you were not the person who performed this account merge, please contact Battle.net Support immediately.

You have successfully merged the following World of Warcraft account:

s*********

into the following Battle.net account:

t***@yahoo.cn"

I blanked out my sons account username the yahoo email blizzard blanked out. The thing is I have know idea who dfas is & that yahoo email isnt mine.
    Then at 2.15 i received an email from blizzard comfirming a change of password ! I doubt who eva has hacked into my account has this new password as it was sent to my email.
    I phoned blizzard help line this morn & seems someones been into my account & prob been playing with my sons charactor. Now we have got the password sorted & can sign in but the account is still suspended till tomorrow morning. Blizzard couldnt or wouldnt remove it. So we have no idea wot this hacker has done. Could well be hes deleted my sons charactor (9 months of gameplay gone into that charactor). We'll find out in the morning when we can get signed in propper. :ohwell:

2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Damn that Mr. T with his Night-Elf-Mowhawk and his craftiness with computers. :banghead:

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    ya that dudes legit RESPECT

btw im sorry i stole your account

Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
    10 Year Member at TPU More than 25k PPD
  4. Meow9000

Thanks Received:
    Sorry to hear that, but now you have the trouble of finding out how it happened, There has been phishing attacks on wow alot lately using fakes sites and a fake flash update that targets wow player. Its also happening on the eve online forums for a while now.

Run anti-virus and the usual malware removers, ask your son if he put his details into any sites. Its a possibilitiy that your machine has a backdoor/keylogger so more damage could be done if you use your comp for banking and shopping. anyways goodluck

~meow

Sir_Real says thanks.
  5. AltecV1

AltecV1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    wow sucks but im sorry about your son:ohwell: hopefully nothing bad has happened to his character:)

Sir_Real says thanks.
  6. strick94u

strick94u New Member

Thanks Received:
    My nephew had someone was pinging the crap out of him locking him up which is a child like thing to do but since he runs off his dads server we were able to bust his ass. point is wow is becoming less stable and secure.:shadedshu

Sir_Real says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  7. Sir_Real

Sir_Real New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks the replys. The 24hrs suspention is up. Seems we've been lucky, his charactors still there with no changes.

I think it may have been a case of my lad signing into to a fake wow website. I do remember a week ago him saying he won something cool for his wow charactor. At the time i thought nothing of it. But avin questioned him bout it, seems someone has tricked him into signing into a fake blizzard site :ohwell: He learned his lesson now :laugh:

Solaris17 says thanks.
  8. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    glad it all worked out it would have totally sucked expecially since its something you pay for monthly would be ashame to loose all that data.

Sir_Real says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU More than 25k PPD
  9. human_error

human_error

Thanks Received:
    That was very lucky - maybe you should get the blizzard authenticator for ~£4.80 [faq about it here] - basically if someone wants to login to your account they need the physical authenticator ascosiated with your account. Only downside i see is that you need to keep track of it and not lose it - if you do it takes a few days for blizzard to send you a new one (same problem when the battery evetually goes (takes a couple of years to run down apparently) - a couple of days downtime).

Of course the advantage is that your son's account can't be stolen/modified through phishing and you can control when he logs onto his account by just taking the authenticator away from him :p

Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
    Sir_Real says thanks.
  10. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    China. Why do so many cyber attacks at least pass through China? So much for their government firewall. :slap:

Crunching for Team TPU
  11. Sir_Real

Sir_Real New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for that info, is interesting but seems abit ott so i'll not be buying that.

So the .cn means its a china email address then. Didnt know that.

12. strick94u

strick94u New Member

Thanks Received:
    Good news is allways good. you may use that as a qoute

10 Year Member at TPU
  13. jagd

Thanks Received:
    Check your and childrens pc for trojans /keyloggers ,you probably infected (maybe an add-on )

14. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    Your lucky your character didn't get sold on the black market. Last thing I want to wake up to is my WoW account hijacked and my levl 70 dark mage sold on some forum or even worse Craigslist! :eek: