• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

[WTB] P4 Socket 423 CPU, 2ghz preferred

deadken

OK, so my friend has a P.O.S. Dell that he is happy with. Of course, he wasn't so happy until we put in a 9700 Pro and 2x512's of Corsair Ram. Well, he likes it a lot and that is what counts. He doesn't want to replace it just yet. He has a s423 1.7ghz CPU and I am looking for a 2ghz to put in his rig. That would give him a slight improvement, while keeping all the rest the same. I'd consider a 1.8 or 1.9ghz CPU also.

If anyone has one of those 'Powerleap' CPU adapters, that would be fine also (I would need the HS for that though). Also, if someone wants the 1.7Ghz, let me know and I will suggest he sell it as soon as he upgrades.

Feel free to PM me offers shipped to 11757 and I will pass the information along.

-Thanks, Ken

That 2Ghz CPU won't make much of a difference, it'll still be a Willamette, crap core no matter how you look at it.
Get a new board and a Northwood.

deadken

That 2Ghz CPU won't make much of a difference, it'll still be a Willamette, crap core no matter how you look at it.
Get a new board and a Northwood.
Please feel free to PM me with suggestions and comments. I have no problem discussing all aspects of my wants/needs in PMs.

No, the 300mhz improvement won't make a huge difference, but it will make some difference. Couple that with how inexpensive some of these CPU's are now, and it could be worth the upgrade. I'd bet that there are a bunch of good CPU's in systems with bad motherboards out there to suit my need.

Couple that with the fact that I explained, quite clearly I think, that he wants to keep his system. By the time I get him a new mobo and CPU I will also need a case and PSU. Then add to that a new O/S (his Dell CD won't put XP on a different motherboard), and you should be able to see that what you are suggesting might not be worth the money.