1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

x1950 pro // Call of Duty 4 problem please help

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Crashbug, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Crashbug New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey all. I've read various threads on here, trying to understand what might be wrong with my video card. First..I'll tell you all the problem.
    I have an x1950 pro video card. When I play Call of Duty 4 it used to either crash(freeze my computer so I had to restart manually) or artifact?(put little blocks all over my screen that can only be solved by restarting). On the a Call of Duty 4 forum it was suggested that Freezing was common..and the solution was to turn off any other software that controlled your video card..such as LCD display software// ATI Tools. So..I had Forte Manager(LCD Software) and ATi Tools installed. I uninstalled both. And I have begun to have no freezes in my call of duty anymore. But.. I still get artifacting. When looking up problem on these forums and others, my easiest test/solution would have been to use ATI Tools to up my fan speed at the right times..and potentially underclock my video card if need be. Anyway...I think u guys understand my problem. Any suggestions? I would rather keep it as a software suggestion rather than a hardware suggestion.. But hey..either is better than none at all. *Oh..and I have tried just ATI Tools and not Forte manager...it won't run succesfully.

Thanks in advance.

2. Kursah

Kursah Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Well you could modify your BIOS to have your card's fan run at 100% fan speed. I did this with my Powercolor Extreme as it came with an AC X2 cooler so it was quiet at 100%. Or you can also adjust clock speeds in BIOS so that way you don't need to use ATI Tool.

Or you can STILL use ATI Tool using this method:

Set your Profile for fan speed, clocks (OC/UC) and have ATI Tool Startup with Windows, Load that profile and close after loading that profile. That works like a charm.

I had the same issues in CoD4, with both my Pro and XTX 1950's...personally I like Bios better, but there's less to tweak (at least for XTX). If you're interested in tuning your bios, go look in the x1950Pro Modded Bios thread in this forum section, it's got a ton of good info in there that may just help you out!

Link: http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=25301&highlight=X1950Pro+Modded+Bios

Also, you should let us know what kind of x1950pro you have...there are a few versions and many brands...to me it sounds like you have an older revision, but I never had an artifacting issue with my 1950pro's stock clocks of 600 GPU and 700 (1400) MEM. I recommend you fill out your system specs (in User CP, top blue bar).

Hope that helps! :toast:

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. Johnny5

Johnny5

Thanks Received:
    I had this same problem. I had to adjust my fan speed to 70% and close every backround application. I was able to beat the singleplayer mode in 3hrs.

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. Crashbug New Member

Thanks Received:
    I loaded ATI Tools to set fan speeds, etc. Then turned it off. For the first time since I've had this game. It has run for the last 5 hours without a hiccup... Tomorrow I will start adding more and more graphically intensive options from within Call of Duty to see how far I can push things without crashing again. Thank you for your advice.