1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

[WTB] X58 MB with SATA 6Gb/s and USB3

Discussion in 'Buy/Sell/Trade/Giveaway Forum' started by The Von Matrices, Nov 14, 2011.

1. The Von Matrices

The Von Matrices

Heatware:
    10 0 0 
    Thanks Received:
    I'm looking to change out my motherboard for one that supports SATA3 and USB3 so that I can buy and use a SATAIII SSD to its full capacity. With the Sandy Bridge-E release date approaching, I'm sure they'll be some people upgrading from X58 who want to ditch their old hardware. The board also needs at least 2-way SLI Support, 6 memory slots, and at least 1 PCIe x1 slot located where it won't be blocked by two dual-slot graphics cards. If the board comes with original box and accessories, that would be a plus to me, but it isn't a requirement.

If you have such a board available for sale, please PM me with the item and a price. I'm not really looking to pay for a high end board, but if you can give me a good deal on one I definitely will consider it.

Note: I am not interested in processors or any other components at this time.

Thanks!

2. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Heatware:
    843 0 0 
    Thanks Received:
    Did you find what you are looking for? I did some looking around at X58 boards with SATA3 and found a few, but you were either limited to 2 SATA3 ports on most of them, or you had one board that gave you (IIRC) 4 ports.

The Von Matrices says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU Crunching for Team TPU
  3. John Doe Guest

? :eek:

[​IMG]

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. The Von Matrices

The Von Matrices

Heatware:
    10 0 0 
    Thanks Received:
    I haven't found a board yet, so if you have one send me an offer. I considered new before I made the post, but the cheapest I could find was MSI X58A-GD45 around $180 and I'm looking to get one for around $140.

I have considered an add-on card, but the issue is the slot layout of my board. If you look at my board layout (pic below) I have a USB 3.0 card in slot 1, my X-Fi Forte in slot 2, and dual-slot graphics cards in slots 3 and 5. I can't move the sound card to the top most slot because the northbridge is in the way, so I have to use it in the PCIe x4 slot. I can't use a PCIe x4 card like the U3S6 you pictured unless I put it in slot 7 and reduce the second graphics card's bandwidth to x8, which is undesirable.

The U3S6 also isn't available anywhere; I think it was discontinued.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If you can think of a solution to this other than replacing the board, that would be great as well. Getting front panel USB 3.0 through an internal header would also be a plus since all the add-in cards have rear ports, but it's not absolutely necessary.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  5. John Doe Guest

Well a board you can get around that price range would most likely be inferior to the UD4p; considering Gigabyte's X58 offerings were some of the best.

2.0 x8 to x16 really makes little to no difference;

[​IMG]

Can still find ones from other manufactorers (like MSI as an example). ;)

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. Ramirez

Ramirez

Heatware:
    73 0 0 
    Thanks Received:
  7. The Von Matrices

The Von Matrices

Heatware:
    10 0 0 
    Thanks Received:
  8. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Heatware:
    843 0 0 
    Thanks Received:
    I'm only commenting because I, too am contemplating "upgrading" my board to one with USB3 and SATA3, but I have not found one with enough SATA3 raid ports to suit my needs.

The Von Matrices says thanks.
  9. jsfitz54

jsfitz54

Heatware:
    3 0 0 
    Thanks Received:
    @ t ski: ing on loan to you.:)

10. The Von Matrices

The Von Matrices

Heatware:
    10 0 0 
    Thanks Received:
    I just need two SATA3 ports, which most of the more recent boards have. I don't think there are any X58 boards with more than two SATA3 ports integrated. If you want more than 2, I think you need add-in cards.

11. Feänor

Feänor New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you can wait a little, i just rma'ed my x58a-ud3r mobo. It has 2 sata 6gb ports and 2 USB 3.0 ports. The spacing is a little like the one you own (pci-e 1x, pci-e 1x, pci-e 16x, pci-e 8x, pci-e 16x, pci, pci-e 8x and pci). I don't know how long the rma process is gonna be though...

10 Year Member at TPU
  12. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Heatware:
    843 0 0 
    Thanks Received:
    This one has 6 SATA3:

ASRock X58 EXTREME6 LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s ...

...but four are on a second chipset, and only the two onboard do raid... :banghead: